The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #701
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 594
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
I noticed that too. I got the impression that Erik is supposed to be 30 or 31 because young Erik looks about 14-15 (the actor is that age as well). In the bonus features they've described Erik as being older than Charles, so my guess is 28-29. That would work with the 12 year old Charles, who looks 12 indeed (tho the actor is apparently a couple years older). Not sure who on the credit team had such terrible math though...

I'm more curious to know how old Mystique is meant to be physically. I think she's somewhere around 17 or 18. If she was aging half as fast as everyne, if 16 years pass then she's only had 8 so that would make sense. Wonder how they figured out she was only 18? Charles makes a point of getting her cola instead of alcohol which is a weird habit for someone who should be 26.
Is that what he's ordering for her??? I thought he was naming off some random British drink I'd never heard of called a "curler." I need to use the DVD's subtitles and see what he says. However, even if Charles is indeed 12 in 1944 and Raven as young as 5--even if she ages differently--she's still only 7 years younger tham him. So if he's 30 in 1962, then she's 23 at the youngest. Then again, the math still doesn't work if Charles is supposed to be 24 in 1962 if he's 12 in 1944. Little weird.

I think I'm just going to say that Charles in his late twenties, Raven is in her early to mid-twenties and Erik is in his early thirties, and just leave it at that. Otherwise, my brain might just go BOOM.

Nerial is offline  
Old 11-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #702
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 594
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Having watched the movie a few times, not once did I feel that that particular line was forcefully associated with Nazism, and I dont think it was intended that way. The scene played out perfectly, and it showed just how narrow Erik/Magneto's line of thinking is/was, he finds a way to link EVERYTHING to his childhood experiences because its what he knows. In his eyes, humans are Nazi's and he's incapable of thinking in any other way, but Charles is. In my eyes it sets Charles up as the more sympathetic of the two. I love the scene and seeing Magneto turning bad was exciting, but Charles definately had my sympathy in that scene because he was right, there were thousands of men just following orders. They werent revelling in destroying the mutants, they were doing what they were told.

I've watched the movie 5 times now and this has been my interpretation of the scene every-time, not once have felt that line was forcefully associated to Nazism and was intended to be. It was intended to show how narrow Magneto's thinking was.
I never had a problem with the line; I just think it shows how Charles and Erik interpret things differently.

Nerial is offline  
Old 11-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #703
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,881
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
I noticed that too. I got the impression that Erik is supposed to be 30 or 31 because young Erik looks about 14-15 (the actor is that age as well). In the bonus features they've described Erik as being older than Charles, so my guess is 28-29. That would work with the 12 year old Charles, who looks 12 indeed (tho the actor is apparently a couple years older). Not sure who on the credit team had such terrible math though...

I'm more curious to know how old Mystique is meant to be physically. I think she's somewhere around 17 or 18. If she was aging half as fast as everyne, if 16 years pass then she's only had 8 so that would make sense. Wonder how they figured out she was only 18? Charles makes a point of getting her cola instead of alcohol which is a weird habit for someone who should be 26.
Charles ordered Raven some cola because he didn't want her to get drunk. She probably has trouble controlling her mutation when she can't concentrate.

As far as the ages go, I've been imagining that in 1962 Eric was 30, Charles 28, and Raven 26.

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline  
Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #704
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 594
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Charles ordered Raven some cola because he didn't want her to get drunk. She probably has trouble controlling her mutation when she can't concentrate.

As far as the ages go, I've been imagining that in 1962 Eric was 30, Charles 28, and Raven 26.
I think that's just about what I imagined--Charles as 28, Raven as 25 or 26 and Erik in his early thirties (although I imagined about 32 to 33 for Erik).

Nerial is offline  
Old 11-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #705
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,815
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
I never had a problem with the line; I just think it shows how Charles and Erik interpret things differently.
Exactly, its an extension of the "You think they are all like Moira" "And you think they are all like Shaw." Erik can only see Shaw/Nazi's in everything he encounters. Charles' scope is much wider than that.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline  
Old 11-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #706
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,167
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
I think I'm just going to say that Charles in his late twenties, Raven is in her early to mid-twenties and Erik is in his early thirties, and just leave it at that. Otherwise, my brain might just go BOOM.
That works for me

Mrs Vimes is offline  
Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #707
blueserenity
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wild wild west
Posts: 483
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Raven isn't in her mid-20s though, not physically (and from what we've seen, not really mentally either).
--Charles gets her cola (coke, to all you Americanadians out there). I think it's neat to think that it might be because drunk!Raven could totally mess with her powers, but I don't think one vodka tonic would be enough for that and I think they'd both know her limits.
--Erik tells her "maybe in a few years". If she was 25-26, I doubt the 32-ish-year-old Erik would say that (apart from the fact that he's obviously completely uninterested in her sexually).
--Hank tells her that "when you're 40 you'll still have the look of a teenager". Note the 'still' part. I don't think Mystique can age backwards. Not to mention, Hank is about 17-18, presenting an age difference (at those ages in particular) that seems too big of a gap for both of their personalities.

A quick google search tells me the legal drinking age in the UK is 18 (not sure if that was true in the 60s as well). So I peg Raven as being about 16-17.

blueserenity is offline  
Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #708
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 594
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Raven isn't in her mid-20s though, not physically (and from what we've seen, not really mentally either).
--Charles gets her cola (coke, to all you Americanadians out there). I think it's neat to think that it might be because drunk!Raven could totally mess with her powers, but I don't think one vodka tonic would be enough for that and I think they'd both know her limits.
--Erik tells her "maybe in a few years". If she was 25-26, I doubt the 32-ish-year-old Erik would say that (apart from the fact that he's obviously completely uninterested in her sexually).
--Hank tells her that "when you're 40 you'll still have the look of a teenager". Note the 'still' part. I don't think Mystique can age backwards. Not to mention, Hank is about 17-18, presenting an age difference (at those ages in particular) that seems too big of a gap for both of their personalities.

A quick google search tells me the legal drinking age in the UK is 18 (not sure if that was true in the 60s as well). So I peg Raven as being about 16-17.
Actually, Hank tells her she'll have the leukocytes of a teenager, not the "looks and sights." Aka, white blood cells.

She might age differently than the others, but she can't be less than seven years younger than Charles--otherwise she'd be a baby or wouldn't even exist in 1944. I'm not saying that I don't see your point, but even if she looked young for her age (and she doesn't--Jennifer Lawrence isn't really a teenager if we're going by appearance alone), she'd still be born in a particular year and that is what is used to determine her age. Just because she looks 35 in XM1 and XM2, doesn't mean she's not technically just a few years younger than Charles and Erik. She just looks young.

As for Erik, he does look a little too old for her, and certainly, he's older mentally. That's what I think he means; I agree that she is too young for him at that point.

And the cola...I guess having a drunk Raven shifting form would be a bad idea. It also shows that Charles has a bit of a big brother thing going on her, not asking what she wants--just ordering it. Men...

Nerial is offline  
Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #709
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,881
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Raven isn't in her mid-20s though, not physically (and from what we've seen, not really mentally either).
--Charles gets her cola (coke, to all you Americanadians out there). I think it's neat to think that it might be because drunk!Raven could totally mess with her powers, but I don't think one vodka tonic would be enough for that and I think they'd both know her limits.
Charles was just being super cautious. Even one minor slip up on her part could be disastrous.

Quote:
--Erik tells her "maybe in a few years". If she was 25-26, I doubt the 32-ish-year-old Erik would say that (apart from the fact that he's obviously completely uninterested in her sexually).
But does Erik even know her real age? She's supposed to age slowly and so she appears physically like a teenager.

Quote:
--Hank tells her that "when you're 40 you'll still have the look of a teenager". Note the 'still' part. I don't think Mystique can age backwards. Not to mention, Hank is about 17-18, presenting an age difference (at those ages in particular) that seems too big of a gap for both of their personalities.
Raven ages slowly, remember? So even though she's, say, 26, she looks like a teen. That's how she could be 40 and "still" appear a teenager.

Quote:
A quick google search tells me the legal drinking age in the UK is 18 (not sure if that was true in the 60s as well). So I peg Raven as being about 16-17.
1962 is 18 years after 1944, the year Charles and Raven met. She clearly must be considerably older than 18 to have been a child when she broke into his house.

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline  
Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #710
blueserenity
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wild wild west
Posts: 483
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
Actually, Hank tells her she'll have the leukocytes of a teenager, not the "looks and sights." Aka, white blood cells.

She might age differently than the others, but she can't be less than seven years younger than Charles--otherwise she'd be a baby or wouldn't even exist in 1944. I'm not saying that I don't see your point, but even if she looked young for her age (and she doesn't--Jennifer Lawrence isn't really a teenager if we're going by appearance alone), she'd still be born in a particular year and that is what is used to determine her age. Just because she looks 35 in XM1 and XM2, doesn't mean she's not technically just a few years younger than Charles and Erik. She just looks young.

As for Erik, he does look a little too old for her, and certainly, he's older mentally. That's what I think he means; I agree that she is too young for him at that point.

And the cola...I guess having a drunk Raven shifting form would be a bad idea. It also shows that Charles has a bit of a big brother thing going on her, not asking what she wants--just ordering it. Men...
LMAO English fail. Wow so THAT's what he says, that makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE. I always thought it was look and sights and the latter half of that comment I never understood.

I still think she's meant to be a teenager though. It's possible that if she's aging half as fast as regular people, when she met Charles at age 10 she was actually 20 in real years.

Someone wrote a really interesting article at one point about Charles and Raven that I wish I could find again, basically touching upon the subject that when they were kids they were close but hypothesized that as Charles got older and Raven didn't, not as fast, the age difference caused him to take on a different role for her, moving from a friend/brother figure to more of an overprotective fatherlike figure. It's an interesting thought.

blueserenity is offline  
Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #711
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 594
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
LMAO English fail. Wow so THAT's what he says, that makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE. I always thought it was look and sights and the latter half of that comment I never understood.

I still think she's meant to be a teenager though. It's possible that if she's aging half as fast as regular people, when she met Charles at age 10 she was actually 20 in real years.

Someone wrote a really interesting article at one point about Charles and Raven that I wish I could find again, basically touching upon the subject that when they were kids they were close but hypothesized that as Charles got older and Raven didn't, not as fast, the age difference caused him to take on a different role for her, moving from a friend/brother figure to more of an overprotective fatherlike figure. It's an interesting thought.
That's an interesting take on it. I still say early-to-mid twenties, but you raise a good point. Charles certainly does take up the role of big brother (or even overprotective father), and that is one reason Raven leaves.

Nerial is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 02:50 AM   #712
Loganbabe
Don't want your future
 
Loganbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

I could watch him drinking tea for hours!



Can't get enough of his beautiful expressive


and funny face... Lol!

__________________
***We need you to hope again***
Charles Xavier
Days of Future Past
James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #713
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,881
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Loganbabe, were you a McAvoy fan before you saw him in XFC?

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #714
Loganbabe
Don't want your future
 
Loganbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Oh yes...I've been a fan for almost five years now. I first saw James in "Inside I'm Dancing"; it was almost a foretaste for his future role as Charles Xavier, because he spent the whole movie in a wheelchair. I was so impressed by his acting, even if I've never heard about the guy before (although I had already seen him in Narnia! ), that I've been a fan since!

__________________
***We need you to hope again***
Charles Xavier
Days of Future Past
James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart

Last edited by Loganbabe; 11-06-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Loganbabe is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #715
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,881
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

You must have been jumping for joy when he was cast as Charles, then.

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #716
Thebumwhowalks
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,376
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

I taped that movie 'Inside I'm dancing' a while back off tv, I'll have to have a look for that.
He was also one of the leads in the original UK version of 'Shameless', he played the cheeky rogue who falls for the female lead/the female lead falls for. That was the first thing I saw him in, he was real good in that role.


Last edited by Thebumwhowalks; 11-06-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Thebumwhowalks is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #717
Loganbabe
Don't want your future
 
Loganbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
You must have been jumping for joy when he was cast as Charles, then.
Indeed I was!
My favorite franchise and my favorite actor together? Pretty much ecstatic, yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebumwhowalks
I taped that movie 'Inside I'm dancing' a while back off tv, I'll have to have a look for that.
The movie is good, but nothing extraordinary. The acting made it extraordinary somehow. James is incredible and so is the other lead, Steven Robertson. I wish they had been recognized more for it.

__________________
***We need you to hope again***
Charles Xavier
Days of Future Past
James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline  
Old 11-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #718
Loganbabe
Don't want your future
 
Loganbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Even Fassbender agrees that the next movie should be more about Charles:

I’m really interested to see what happens to Charles (James McAvoy), in the next one, and see how he becomes Professor X ‘cause we got to see Erik turn into Magneto, in the first one. It will be interesting to see who shaves Charles’ head. When he’s drunk one night, the mutants will go in there and shave his head and shave off his eyebrows. Maybe. (lol, what? )

Hopefully the writers and the director will agree about this as well.

__________________
***We need you to hope again***
Charles Xavier
Days of Future Past
James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline  
Old 11-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #719
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy
 
Avenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 686
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

I hope they do. Xavier was dreadfully underutilized in the main trilogy (then again, so were a lot of characters who shouldn't have been), so these movies are his chance to shine. My worry is that Fassbender's breakout performance will lead to Magneto getting the lion's share of attention in FC2, but I trust TPTB to maintain a good balance between the two.

Avenger is offline  
Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #720
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,167
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

I first saw James in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and really liked his turn in Atonement, but I gotta say this movie is where he really clicked for me - not just for purely girly reasons but as an actor as well. One of my favourite things about him was how much rapport he had with the rest of the cast - most notably with Fassbender of course, but he was really the glue who held that whole team together.

Mrs Vimes is offline  
Old 11-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #721
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 594
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
Even Fassbender agrees that the next movie should be more about Charles:

I’m really interested to see what happens to Charles (James McAvoy), in the next one, and see how he becomes Professor X ‘cause we got to see Erik turn into Magneto, in the first one. It will be interesting to see who shaves Charles’ head. When he’s drunk one night, the mutants will go in there and shave his head and shave off his eyebrows. Maybe. (lol, what? )

Hopefully the writers and the director will agree about this as well.
Okay, I'm not really looking forward to James shaving his head! In fact, I'm hoping they'll save that for the last movie in a trilogy...in the last five minutes.

BUT I loved Fassbender and love how even he can see that developing Charles' character is the way to go. Magneto's "fall to the dark side" was complete at the end of XMFC; now he just needs to continue getting darker and more ruthless. It's Charles that has a much longer way to go to turn into Magneto's enemy and the X-men leader:

1) Charles has to deal with losing everyone that he grew close to, including Erik, Raven and Moira;
2) He has to deal with the fact that Erik was right about how the humans would turn against them (sorry, but it's true--Erik was right about that);
3) He has to learn how to live with a devastating injury that will forever affect everything he does for the rest of his life.

Like I've said before, it's story-telling gold. I think Fassbender and McAvoy could bring in some fantastic ideas for both Magneto and Charles, and make a great plot for both. I'm so happy these two actors are playing these characters--I love them both.

Nerial is offline  
Old 11-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #722
Loganbabe
Don't want your future
 
Loganbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
One of my favourite things about him was how much rapport he had with the rest of the cast - most notably with Fassbender of course, but he was really the glue who held that whole team together.
Exactly. Actually I think it's one of the things James does so well as an actor - he's usually the one creating a rapport not only between the characters, but between the characters, the story and the audience. It's something quite difficult, but unfortunately not always noticed. That's why a lot of people will notice Fassbender's acting in FC, but not McAvoy's - it's like what he's doing is not really acting, or is "easy", just because he's not playing the typical angsty/tortured/dark/violent character that people love so much, and which is generally associated with "good acting". It's a pity.

I think that this will change next year because James will play a sordid character in "Filth" - than maybe people will start saying "oh he's such a great actor, that was such a decadent, horrible, nasty character!" Which is rubbish. He'll always be a great actor, even when playing sweet and innocent characters. Actually there aren't many actors out there capable of being so credible while playing both sides of personalities' spectrum.

__________________
***We need you to hope again***
Charles Xavier
Days of Future Past
James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline  
Old 11-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #723
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 594
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
Exactly. Actually I think it's one of the things James does so well as an actor - he's usually the one creating a rapport not only between the characters, but between the characters, the story and the audience. It's something quite difficult, but unfortunately not always noticed. That's why a lot of people will notice Fassbender's acting in FC, but not McAvoy's - it's like what he's doing is not really acting, or is "easy", just because he's not playing the typical angsty/tortured/dark/violent character that people love so much, and which is generally associated with "good acting". It's a pity.

I think that this will change next year because James will play a sordid character in "Filth" - than maybe people will start saying "oh he's such a great actor, that was such a decadent, horrible, nasty character!" Which is rubbish. He'll always be a great actor, even when playing sweet and innocent characters. Actually there aren't many actors out there capable of being so credible while playing both sides of personalities' spectrum.
Yeah, unforunately, the "scorned and bitter" characters usually get better praise. I happen to love the good-hearted characters that, despite conflict, are able to maintain a sense of love and hope towards humanity. I find those optimistic characters to be stronger at heart than their bitter counterparts, and more unique because cynical is easier, IMO.

Nerial is offline  
Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #724
Loganbabe
Don't want your future
 
Loganbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

James talks Second Class!

X-Men’s Charles Xavier hasn’t finished being broken down, says James McAvoy

We last saw Charles Xavier forever physically altered by his dear friend Erik Lehnsherr — so what's next for the leader of the X-Men? The actor who played the young Professor X, James McAvoy has a few ideas about Charles' future. And it starts with deflating Xavier's giant mutant ego.

We were lucky enough to speak with McAvoy one-on-one, as part of the press day for his new animated film Arthur Christmas, and he told us what he imagines will happen in the next X-Men.

Michael Fassbender recently stated that he wants more Charles Xavier in the X-Men: First Class sequel. In your opinion, where are our heroes in the sequel? Where will we find Charles and Erik?

James: I don't know where we find Erik — it's kind of defined at the end of the film that he's a bad guy. I can't really speak for him, but I know that with Charles, you either have to write him out of the movie or give him an interesting story. He can't just become the guy that we saw in the first three movies. He just had two major things happen to him. He's lost his best friend, essentially, and he's just been paralyzed from the waist down. Which is just a huge, huge blow to his considerable ego. So he's got to deal with that.

And I don't think we can just brush over that and go, "yeah I'm in a wheelchair now," because Professor X is in a wheelchair. You've got to deal with that, I don't care if he's a superhero and has brain powers or not, he's just had a huge part of his physical life taken away from him, by someone he cares about more than anyone else. So he's got to deal with that. That's part of the interesting ideas that we're talking about with Matthew [Vaughn], that Matthew's very excited about which I think is fantastic, but I can't really get into them with you because they may (or may not) form the spine of the story.

Would you like to be in the sequel? Have you said yes?

James: I would definitely like to be in the sequel, but the truth as well that I'm bound to be in the sequel by a contract that says we do three films. So if Fox decides we're doing it, then I don't have a choice. But I would still like to, I had a great time with Matthew and Michael, that was a great threesome to work with and really sort of carve out a new beginning for those two characters. So hopefully we'll have the same kind of joy on the set. The good thing is, I don't think Fox is rushing into it just because it did well. They want to make sure they get a good script, because if you can't get a good story there's no point in doing it. It can be a stand-alone film if we can't figure out a good story.

There's plenty of story left for Charles in between where he is now and where we've seen him before. I hope he isn't written off. (yes, please! )

James: That's what Matthew is talking about, he's come up with a particularly interesting idea, last time I spoke with him. So he's pitching that to Fox, and they've basically just got to write the script.


http://io9.com/5860955/

Great interview! I couldn't agree more with him, especially with the "...but I know that with Charles, you either have to write him out of the movie or give him an interesting story." Well said, James. And of course, the whole "they have to show Charles dealing with his new physical reality, not brush over it" thing, which I think is the whole point. Perfect.

Now, if only they allowed James to be part of the writing team...

__________________
***We need you to hope again***
Charles Xavier
Days of Future Past
James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline  
Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #725
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 594
Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread

This sums it up right here (quote from James):

“And I don't think we can just brush over that and go, "yeah I'm in a wheelchair now," because Professor X is in a wheelchair. You've got to deal with that, I don't care if he's a superhero and has brain powers or not, he's just had a huge part of his physical life taken away from him, by someone he cares about more than anyone else.”

This is why I love this guy; he gets it. X-men movie or not, he loves the characters that he plays and wants to see them go through fire. That’s exactly how it should be. And his character has a LOT of fire to deal with.

Nerial is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.