The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

View Poll Results: Should The Shield Be Indestructible?
Yes 144 88.34%
No 6 3.68%
I don't care 13 7.98%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Aesop Rocks
Price of Freedom

Default The Shield

Now rumor has it that in the movie, Steve makes his own suit after escaping the from USO show and going to fight the war. With that being said, how are thet going to introduce/use the shield? I don't think he'd be given it to him by the military if they're only using him for the USO shows, and I very highly doubt that they're going to be showing Steve making the damn thing as he makes his suit, so how the funk are they going to introduce it/use it in the movie? I-for-one think that since Howard Stark is in this movie and the founder of Shield (Nick Fury states this in Iron Man 2) is going somehow give Steve the shield, seeing as he'd put it to good use.

Now my other question is, like its comic book counter-part, should it be indestructible, or just really really hard to break? I'm going for indestructible, and I would literally walk out of the movie if it's anything but. The shield is probably the most iconic thing about Captain America (to me at least) and if they can't get that right, then I fear for the movie.

Aesop Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: The Shield

of course it should be indistructable. From what i would figure how the shield be going on in the film is. During the uso thing he will have a shield that is a steel like thing he is using as a prop that styled off the triangle shield. Which he takes when he goes awol and all that. But then after he does the awol mission the govt grant steve access to fight in the war so they give him the newly created round shield and all that. Plus if from the time he leaves the uso/awol thing and the end of the film spans a few yrs of fights/battles i can see him getting the round shield mid way and have it to the end and dies with it.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

I don't care.

Randal Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
TNC9852002
Banned User

If it's gonna be indestructible, they better show it off well and not just "making it so".

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't know if it'll be indestructible. I'm guessing the shield will get destroyed during the war and Tony Stark reconstructs it in Avengers.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
afan
Side-Kick

The shield should be indestructable and capable of amazing shock absorbancy; the same shield he uses in WWII is the shield he uses in The Avengers. It's an iconic symbol of America, and as such should not be replaced.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
Nivek
Banned User

I think the Shield is going to me a mess if it is not an Uber-Indestructible piece of metal that is either given to Steve as a gift by the President, or some secret thing that he finds and figures out how to use as a weapon. But after seeing Iron Man 2, I'm pretty sure we are going to get a "Transformer-ish" piece of garbage that either changes shape, can fly, works like a remote control boomerang, or something else lame that wagon jumpers will rave about because it's not "plain".

Hell, Ill be happy if they don't made the Red parts brown at this point...

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Graves View Post
I don't care.
thank you for adding to the discussion

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I think the Shield is going to me a mess if it is not an Uber-Indestructible piece of metal that is either given to Steve as a gift by the President, or some secret thing that he finds and figures out how to use as a weapon. But after seeing Iron Man 2, I'm pretty sure we are going to get a "Transformer-ish" piece of garbage that either changes shape, can fly, works like a remote control boomerang, or something else lame that wagon jumpers will rave about because it's not "plain".

Hell, Ill be happy if they don't made the Red parts brown at this point...
I saw IM2 three times in the theatre and I still to this day can not figure out why or how people got that impression from looking at the shield. There was really nothing that hinted or showed that it might be something that shifts/transforms. The shield was obviously not finished so you were able to see it's inner frame. I guess people thought it would "transform" via fanning out in a way. Can you explain this for me Nivek in case I missed something.

As for the question at hand. I also think the shield should be indestructible and just be a shield and nothing fancy.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
thank you for adding to the discussion
You're welcome.

Randal Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
The shield should be indestructable and capable of amazing shock absorbancy; the same shield he uses in WWII is the shield he uses in The Avengers. It's an iconic symbol of America, and as such should not be replaced.
100 x this

"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
louiebling$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
THE MR. TERRIFIC
HYPES KING OF COSPLAY

The shield should be indestructible. We need to see Cap in all his glory in his 1st solo film. We're gonna act like the other Cap film doesn't exist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud48V588NRw

THE MR. TERRIFIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
Nivek
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
I saw IM2 three times in the theatre and I still to this day can not figure out why or how people got that impression from looking at the shield. There was really nothing that hinted or showed that it might be something that shifts/transforms. The shield was obviously not finished so you were able to see it's inner frame. I guess people thought it would "transform" via fanning out in a way. Can you explain this for me Nivek in case I missed something.

As for the question at hand. I also think the shield should be indestructible and just be a shield and nothing fancy.

Because the shield should be one piece of metal with a paint job. The thing in IM2 had layers, circuitry, raised details, it looked like some lame alternate shield design from the 1990's. The original uber-indestructible shield is so, so much cooler. Hell, I explained it to one of my cousins that Wolverines claws could not cut it, and he was like "I thought Wolverines claws can cut through anything" and it's like "Nope, not Cap's shield."

That thing in Iron Man, looks weak as hell.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
marcvader
Lurker #1

All the inner framework you see is what will probably make the shield shock absorbing. The outer shell is what makes it indestructible. All of this will probably be inconsequential anyways.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Nivek
Banned User

No, Captain Americas shield one simple uber-indestructible metal disk, it has no tech to it at all. Whenever they tried it in the comics, it's lame. It's awesome enough as it is, the thing that makes it a weapon is Cap himself. It would be like making Thor's hammer a piece of Technology. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Dude, I expect that to be a prototype.

The only thing they have to make work is not making the throwing of the shield to look stupid.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #17
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
No, Captain Americas shield one simple uber-indestructible metal disk, it has no tech to it at all. Whenever they tried it in the comics, it's lame. It's awesome enough as it is, the thing that makes it a weapon is Cap himself. It would be like making Thor's hammer a piece of Technology. Don't fix what isn't broken.
Like I said it will probably inconsequential. They will probably never even touch on it. I was making sense of what we saw in IM2, which by the way was not the actual shield if you ask me. It will still be indestructible and made into a weapon by Cap as it has always been in the comics and the fact that it may or may not have inner workings will be meaningless information anyways.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #18
Nivek
Banned User

I hope it was just Tony screwing around. Personally, that was one of the things I really didn't like in Iron Man 2. It was funny with it in the first film, but Cap's shield should not ever be tech. It doesn't work.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #19
marcvader
Lurker #1

I'm just happy that it is the one thing they kept identical as in the comic.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #20
The IronMan
Side-Kick

No tech what so ever. Give me the simple round indestructable iconic shield.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #21
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

like i said about i see no reason why they are not going to show both shields of cap. They can have the triangle one be of steel material he uses when he first goes awol. Then when he returns from that awol mission the govt sanctions him into active duty for the govt. also then can go to the round shield and make it indestructiveable and he uses that for the rest of the film and dies with it.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 06-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #22
Rage
Valar Morghulis

Agree with Webhead2006 wholeheartedly!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #23
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea that is to me the most likely thing we are going to see happen. Or they could skip out on the triangle shield all together and maybe while the Cap program was being created the Shield was also created and when they choose the flag theme for their hero the painted the round shield in the flag just to go with it. We will know soon enough i am sure.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 06-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #24
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Indestructible shield is a must.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #25
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

This is like asking if Wolverine's claws should be indestructible. Of course it should.