The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

View Poll Results: Should The Shield Be Indestructible?
Yes 144 88.34%
No 6 3.68%
I don't care 13 7.98%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #26
Kurosawa
Banned User

Default Re: The Shield

You'd think it would be a no-brainer but what they can screw up is beyond what one can imagine.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #27
Rage
Valar Morghulis

I really, REALLY want to see the Triangular shield first!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #28
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

like i said for myself i see no reason it wont happen and all that.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #29
HULK (banned)
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
The shield should be indestructable and capable of amazing shock absorbancy; the same shield he uses in WWII is the shield he uses in The Avengers. It's an iconic symbol of America, and as such should not be replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiebling$ View Post
100 x this
Hulk agree

HULK (banned) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #30
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well hopefully joe will make a comment about the shield of cap for the film and how they are going to go about them. I still say they can easily used both shields. First could be a regular steel shield(not that strong of material but still usable) that was design for a prop for him in the USO show, that he takes on the awol mission he goes on. Then when he comes back from awol and likely becomes officially sanctioned by the govt, he is given the the round shield which is newly discovered/created by the govt and then painted red/blue and given to him.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 06-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #31
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I figure it should be the non-indestrucable iron triangle shield given to him solely for the USO then followed by the round indestructable vibranium one given to him by Stark/SHIELD/FDR (depending on storyline or cannon).

Hell, Byrnes stint on Cap during the 80's covered all of this perfectly; he even had one of Baron Von Strucker's LMD's cave in the original shield in modern times to show how inferior it was to the round one.

No reason why we cant see the triangle shield get the same treatment, only this time on the battlefield of WW2.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #32
afan
Side-Kick

Watching "Pearl Harbor" the other day and thought.....How cool would it be to see Cap take down a plane with his shield?
It occurred to me during the dogfight scenes over Pearl when a zero is maneuvered close to a tower where armed soldiers wait in hiding to shoot him down as he passes. I could picture a scenario where Cap could rapidly scale the tower as the zero approached and hurl his shield as he reaches the top, slicing of a wing tip or perhaps tail piece, as the plane passes by.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #33
afrayedknot
Side-Kick

Why would Captain America have a shield as part of the costume for the USO?

afrayedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #34
HULK (banned)
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
I really, REALLY want to see the Triangular shield first!
I second this

Old 06-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #35
gdw
Side-Kick

I imagine we might see the triangular shield in passing, like a step in he design of the shield.

As for the main shield, I don't doubt we'll see it. Probably developed before Steve even went through the process.

It would make sense for it to be made before the suit, as they would need to see how Steve was shaped after the process to make his suit, but the shield could be made without a subject.

Now, they probably wouldn't give it to him for the USO show, but he could maybe take it when he "hits the road," so to speak.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #36
Figs
Banned User

Does Captain America's shield come back to him like a boomerang or once it's thrown does he have to go get it?

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #37
HULK (banned)
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Does Captain America's shield come back to him like a boomerang or once it's thrown does he have to go get it?
Sort of like a boomerang - But it's uncertain how it'll be done in the movie, or at least I haven't heard anything about as of yet. I Imagine it'll be the same as in the comics though.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #38
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea i still think they can easily have both shield be in the film and play important parts to the film.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #39
roach
I am the night

Doh Re: The Shield

Quote:
Watching "Pearl Harbor" the other day and thought.....How cool would it be to see Cap take down a plane with his shield?
It occurred to me during the dogfight scenes over Pearl when a zero is maneuvered close to a tower where armed soldiers wait in hiding to shoot him down as he passes. I could picture a scenario where Cap could rapidly scale the tower as the zero approached and hurl his shield as he reaches the top, slicing of a wing tip or perhaps tail piece, as the plane passes by.
actually Cap had a prototype jet plane in WW2...it was called Eagle 1 or something like that. I'd have to look it up but i know it had eagle in the name....and before people get bent out of shape about jet engines in WW2...they just uncovered a prototype jet stealth fighter from Nazi Germany...the same guys who built it were also in the process of building a stealth bomber. Hitler wanted to nuke New York and was going to use the bomber to do just that....but then the Allies attacked it drew attention away from the pet project

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #40
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

good point roach i too was watching this discovery/history channel special on military weapons and all that and saw stuff like that myself.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 06-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #41
afan
Side-Kick

^Germany deployed jet fighters during the war.

Last edited by afan; 06-18-2010 at 01:53 PM.
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #42
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrayedknot View Post
Why would Captain America have a shield as part of the costume for the USO?
Why would he not? I mean, Cap's hardly likely to make one himself just before he goes into battle after the USO, is he?

It could be that is he is given the original triangular shield merely as part of his USO ensemble (who's to say that the character who designs it doesnt just have a thing for shields ) and it is basically for cosmetic use only, i.e. it's just basically an ornament with hardly anything going for it whatsover other than its a sheet of metal.

It then gets pretty fubar'd during Cap's early battles and so he is eventually given the round, vibranium one as a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
The 1st triangular shield doesnt rebound back to him; only the round one made out of vibranium does. Captain America #247 pretty much answers that whole question - it's worth a look.

Last edited by Brian Braddock; 06-18-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Brian Braddock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #43
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea i made the point to maybe he is given an iron/steel triangle shield that is used like a prop for the uso that is painted like a flag. and its durable enough for use and steve takes it with him when he goes awol and all that. Then when he returns from awol he is given the round industricble one.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 06-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #44
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Yeah, a prop. Sounds feasible Webhead.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #45
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock
It could be that is he is given the original triangular shield merely as part of his USO ensemble (who's to say that the character who designs it doesnt just have a thing for shields ) and it is basically for cosmetic use only, i.e. it's just basically an ornament with hardly anything going for it whatsover other than its a sheet of metal.

It then gets pretty fubar'd during Cap's early battlesand so he is eventually given the round, vibranium one as a replacement.
The correct questions are ........Why would anyone take a stage prop into battle?.....and if it is durable enough to be worthy of battle consideration........Why would a stage prop be that durable?

Old 06-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #46
roach
I am the night

dont pull too hard on that thread...

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #47
marcvader
Lurker #1

Unless he makes the triangular shield himself. There's plenty of armor debris laying around during wartime.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #48
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
The correct questions are ........Why would anyone take a stage prop into battle?.....and if it is durable enough to be worthy of battle consideration........Why would a stage prop be that durable?
Umm, it's something to keep the rain off?

Seriously though, it's long been established that the triangular shield never had the absorbant qualities of the vibranium shield, yet it was still deemed as good enough for Cap to use early on in the comics. Now why is that? It's because at the time, the character didnt have anything better at his disposal.

No reason why, as I said, the prop cant be a hunk of metal thick enough for to Cap figure that it would be of aid to him for some reason. After all, what was his reasoning behind using the triangular shield in the comics? It was just a redimentary way of deflecting bullets until the idea came along to give the character an indestructable one.

Maybe he just still has it on him kinda by accident after he goes awol, whips it out when being fired upon and then realises, from the reaction of the troops, that seeing this triangular 'flag' on the battlefield is kinda inspiring.

I dunno - just kicking ideas around.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #49
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
I don't know if it'll be indestructible. I'm guessing the shield will get destroyed during the war and Tony Stark reconstructs it in Avengers.
I'd be fine with that.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #50
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

no no guys when i said its a prop i didnt mean its some cheesy crappy fake prop shield. They could give him a real steel/iron shield, like say u see at renaisse festivals and all that. That is durable but not as great/strong as the Round shield is. So its given to him at the uso show as a prop for the uso propganda deal with him and its painted in a flag motif to go with his flag suit. And steve takes it with him when he goes awol. Then we get into the whole round shield later in the film.

www.ItsJustMovies.com