The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

View Poll Results: Should The Shield Be Indestructible?
Yes 144 88.34%
No 6 3.68%
I don't care 13 7.98%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #101
roach
I am the night

Default Re: The Shield

its ok to me...probably the one thing i like about this film so far...i always thought it was a solid disc of metal...i dont like the segmented look.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #102
darthlaney
Kryptonian Son

the two things I wanted for the shield -

1. A thin profile - I was afraid that we would get a really plasticity looking shield like the 1991 movie or the first prop shown at Comic Con this year, stuck in the ice. It needed to come down to a thin edge.

2. Metallic Paint - while I think the star could be a little white - I'm happy to cop the silver star - I'm sure that all reflections of spot lights during action sequences will look a little more white anyway - also the fact its silver in low light situations should mean it will start out more, by reflecting the low light better.

As for the segments - I'll accept them - I doubt they will really be recognisable during the movie - as the shield in supposed to by cast, I think they add something interesting to what is basically a smooth form - they will also help to pick up light and improve or enhance reflection in dark lite scenes.

Overall two thumbs up on this one

darthlaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #103
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

To those who are talking about "segments", could you just clarify what you mean by that?

"The Union is founded on the values of respect for human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rule of law and respect for human rights, including the rights of persons belonging to minorities." -- Art.2 Treaty on European Union
Shivsguy616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #104
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

I want that shield in my room. Amazing.

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #105
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

No doubt there'll be a 1:1 replica available!

"The Union is founded on the values of respect for human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rule of law and respect for human rights, including the rights of persons belonging to minorities." -- Art.2 Treaty on European Union
Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #106
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivsguy616 View Post
Frankly, it looks like machined aluminium to me. The word indestructible doesn't really pop to mind.
I know, right? It doesnt look anything like the vibranium shield I keep in the garage.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #107
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post

To the people that dont like the shield, I'll simply post it next to pictures of the shields that have preceeded it in the hope that you'll come around:-

Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #108
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
To those who are talking about "segments", could you just clarify what you mean by that?
It's not a smooth disc, but tooled 'segments' (there are clear indents between each ring, the star is raised, etc.
Its also a 'brushed' metal finish, something you'd do after forging the disc, not during, so the 'indestructible' look is more an aesthetic thing (painted metal simply wouldn't look nearly as tough) than being based on 'reality' (not that there is such a thing as indestructible metal in reality anyways).

Not a problem for me either way. The thing looks cool, and it looks tough, so it works for me

Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #109
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
No complaints here, I think it looks perfect. I wonder what it sounds like bouncing off a human skull?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
no sound. Vibranium absorbs the sound vibrations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Bah, that's no fun. Stupid SCIENCE!
Quote:
sorry..... it makes the same sound as the TIE fighters from Star Wars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
No! It produces the sound of the Wilhelm scream from every Nazi soldier it collides with!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Everyone is this thread is wrong except me! Captain America's shield makes a "WANK" sound.
You guys are cracking me up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesop Rocks View Post
Hulk wouldn't need to throw the shield to decapitate someone, he'll just get Kevin Fiege to replace the guy.
Ok...even though I'm not a Norton guy, that was funny.

Quote:
Frankly, it looks like machined aluminium to me. The word indestructible doesn't really pop to mind.
Methinks the average movie-goer doesn't even know what that is (like me for instance...I think it looks plenty indestructible).

Overall opinion of the shield...awesome-sauce.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #110
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
To the people that dont like the shield, I'll simply post it next to pictures of the shields that have preceeded it in the hope that you'll come around:-

i dont have a problem with 90's shield....interesting story there is a scene in that movie where Cap is supposed throw the shield at a guy on a motorcycle. The actor was supposed to make a throwing gesture...the shield slipped out of his hand flew and knocked the guy off the bike for real...they kept it in the movie

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #111
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
its ok to me...probably the one thing i like about this film so far...i always thought it was a solid disc of metal...i dont like the segmented look.
The original idea (and as it's mostly been drawn down the years) was a solid smooth disc (presumably the straps on the back had to be welded on as you couldn't bolt them). However...if this was the case then what the hell did they paint it with?
Bullets, fire, explosions, etc, would soon ruin the hell out of even the toughest paint job....But that's comics for you, suspension of disbelief and all that. Just one of the things we generally ignore (like Wolverine's claws cutting through thick sheet steel like it was 'hot butter'....We accept it, though that would never actually work in reality, what with the displacement factors of the metal being cut and so on).

Another thing we ignore about the shield: Cap throws it around it rebounds off objects to return to him, right? But if the thing absorbs all vibration it would hit the first object then just drop to the ground with no 'rebound' whatsoever.

But like I said, these are comic book ideas, we suspend disbelief, don't pick the bones out of the 'science' employed, sit back and enjoy the show

Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #112
cryptic name
No Limits

love the shield, got to see it up close on the exhibit hall floor and it looks very formidable in person

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #113
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post

Methinks the average movie-goer doesn't even know what that is (like me for instance...I think it looks plenty indestructible).

Overall opinion of the shield...awesome-sauce.
I was just joking. I love the design.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #114
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Everyone is this thread is wrong except me! Captain America's shield makes a "WANK" sound.
No, you are also wrong.
When Cap throws his shield it sounds like Liam Neeson chasing a load of hens around a barn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjuevos View Post
it has a lip instead of coming to a point. so it would just bludgeon people
Thrown with enough force it'd take a head off no problemo.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? - Bill Hicks
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #115
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
The original idea (and as it's mostly been drawn down the years) was a solid smooth disc (presumably the straps on the back had to be welded on as you couldn't bolt them). However...if this was the case then what the hell did they paint it with?
Bullets, fire, explosions, etc, would soon ruin the hell out of even the toughest paint job....But that's comics for you, suspension of disbelief and all that. Just one of the things we generally ignore (like Wolverine's claws cutting through thick sheet steel like it was 'hot butter'....We accept it, though that would never actually work in reality, what with the displacement factors of the metal being cut and so on).

Another thing we ignore about the shield: Cap throws it around it rebounds off objects to return to him, right? But if the thing absorbs all vibration it would hit the first object then just drop to the ground with no 'rebound' whatsoever.

But like I said, these are comic book ideas, we suspend disbelief, don't pick the bones out of the 'science' employed, sit back and enjoy the show
I assumed he touched up the paint in his off time..which is why the shield went from red, white and blue rings to just red and white....where's my no prize

Old 07-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #116
Norm3
Side-Kick

I would have liked to see the triangle shield & then Cap throw it away & they intoduce the round one.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #117
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

You many still get to see that.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #118
Kurosawa
Banned User

Shield looks great to me, and I'm very nit-picky about this stuff.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #119
roach
I am the night

i agree I do like the shield...better than anything else

Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #120
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

I think the shield looks great!

Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #121
Aesop Rocks
Now I'm Free.

Does anyone else think that the design of the shield was the biggest factor in Captain America? I mean, I don't really think so, but I think that if the suit shield looked bad, it'd ruin the movie for me.

Aesop Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #122
roach
I am the night

I think the costume is the biggest factor.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #123
Aesop Rocks
Now I'm Free.

Yeah, well, I think they're one in the same.

Aesop Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #124
roach
I am the night

the shield should be the easiest thing to get right and I would completely write off this film if the screwed up the easiest thing

Old 07-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #125
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

The shield is an embodiment of the spirit of Capt. America and the country that he represents, therefore it must be indestructible. I don't want to see dents on that shield after every encounters with a bad guy or after a battle.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote