The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious
 
LibidoLoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,394
Default The Media Center Thread

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good media box that I can hook up to my television, so I can be rid of cable. I would like to have one so I can stream shows and movies through Hulu and Netflix maybe some games from Steam. I'm currently interested in a Samsung one as all my products are Samsung (computer and tablet). Then I think maybe I should save up for an X-Box One as I'm heavily integrated into Microsoft's ecosystem (I have Windows 8 computer and tablet and a Lumia).

__________________
BRYAN SINGER | ZACK SNYDER | JOSS WHEDON
DAYS OF FUTURE PAST | WORLD'S FINEST | AGE OF ULTRON
*\S/T*

Last edited by LibidoLoca; 03-09-2014 at 12:56 PM.
LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien
 
the dmg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Returning some video tapes...
Posts: 4,583
Default Re: The Media Center Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good media box that I can hook up to my television, so I can be rid of cable. I would like to have one so I can stream shows and movies through Hulu and Netflix maybe some games from Steam. I'm currently interested in a Samsung one as all my products are Samsung (computer and tablet). Then I think maybe I should save up for an X-Box One as I'm heavily integrated into Microsoft's ecosystem (I have Windows 8 computer and tablet and a Lumia).
If you can't build a HTPC yourself, you really should just invest in a PS3. It's cheaper than XBO and has Netflix and Hulu. Since PS3 has been on the market for a long time, it also has a more mature ecosystem than either PS4 or XBO.

You can also utilize PS3 Media Center. PS3 is actually the better media player of the three because it's been around longer.

__________________
the DOG, the MAN, the GOD
the dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious
 
LibidoLoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,394
Default Re: The Media Center Thread

I really not a big game person, nut see the advantage of using it as a full on multimedia device. I'm currently looking into Roku or Samsung's AllShare box.

__________________
BRYAN SINGER | ZACK SNYDER | JOSS WHEDON
DAYS OF FUTURE PAST | WORLD'S FINEST | AGE OF ULTRON
*\S/T*
LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien
 
the dmg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Returning some video tapes...
Posts: 4,583
Default Re: The Media Center Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
I really not a big game person, nut see the advantage of using it as a full on multimedia device. I'm currently looking into Roku or Samsung's AllShare box.
You don't have to be a gaming person to own a PS3. It's still one of the best BD players on the market, and it supports a whole range of extensions to make it your go to box. You just get the cheap $150 ($200?) 16gb version and buy the media remote (or you can connect your phone and use that as a remote too), and you have a fully capable media box (especially if you utilize PS3 Media Server) that just so happens to play games as a bonus.

__________________
the DOG, the MAN, the GOD
the dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
Donut
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,806
Default Re: The Media Center Thread

I use stuff like

Western Digital WDTV 1tb Media Center Hub



The Western Digital WDTV Live 1080p Wifi thingy. Does just about everything the above does. But no Hard Drive & you can just connect USBs & External Hard Drives & it will read it. Both devices also does Netflix, Hulu etc & the 2nd one is a little bit cheaper



The 360 & PS3 just suck when it comes to what file formats they support & these two alone plays so much more then those two ever will


Last edited by Donut; 03-11-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious
 
LibidoLoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,394
Default Re: The Media Center Thread

I'm currently interested in this:



http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TF8&me=&seller

__________________
BRYAN SINGER | ZACK SNYDER | JOSS WHEDON
DAYS OF FUTURE PAST | WORLD'S FINEST | AGE OF ULTRON
*\S/T*
LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien
 
the dmg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Returning some video tapes...
Posts: 4,583
Default Re: The Media Center Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
No.

If you're not going to take my advice, at least listen to the Donut!

__________________
the DOG, the MAN, the GOD
the dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #8
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious
 
LibidoLoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,394
Default Re: The Media Center Thread



Who said I wasn't taking your advice? I'm listening to what you are saying and applying them to my search to make an informed decision.

__________________
BRYAN SINGER | ZACK SNYDER | JOSS WHEDON
DAYS OF FUTURE PAST | WORLD'S FINEST | AGE OF ULTRON
*\S/T*
LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien
 
the dmg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Returning some video tapes...
Posts: 4,583
Default Re: The Media Center Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post


Who said I wasn't taking your advice? I'm listening to what you are saying and applying them to my search to make an informed decision.


You hate me...




Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
jk I was just playing.

__________________
the DOG, the MAN, the GOD
the dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
Prison Mike
Hype Award Winner
 
Prison Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Clink
Posts: 38,183
Default Re: The Media Center Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dmg View Post
You don't have to be a gaming person to own a PS3. It's still one of the best BD players on the market, and it supports a whole range of extensions to make it your go to box. You just get the cheap $150 ($200?) 16gb version and buy the media remote (or you can connect your phone and use that as a remote too), and you have a fully capable media box (especially if you utilize PS3 Media Server) that just so happens to play games as a bonus.
Can you use your phone as a remote for the PS4 too?

__________________
Michael Scott: You don't call retarded people retards. It's bad taste. You call your friends retards when they're acting retarded.
Prison Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien
 
the dmg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Returning some video tapes...
Posts: 4,583
Default Re: The Media Center Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
Can you use your phone as a remote for the PS4 too?
I'm not sure. I don't have a PS4...yet.

I would imagine not because I've heard complaints about the media capability not being quite up to par at the moment. Sony was going "game focused," but now it's time for the PS4 to catch up PS3.

__________________
the DOG, the MAN, the GOD
the dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
HBKfan28
Side-Kick
 
HBKfan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 524
Default Re: The Media Center Thread

Does anyone have Chromecast? Was thinking of getting one since they added Flixster so I can watch my Ultraviolet movies on a big TV.

You just put it in the HDMI and USB ports and then use your smartphone or laptop to play the movie?

__________________
Miami Dolphins
HBKfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.