The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #126
Boom
I got nothin'

Default Re: The official Michael Fassbender / Magneto thread

Really looking forward to seeing Magneto's costume. The back shot was such a ****ing tease .

Old 02-12-2011, 03:37 AM   #127
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
What I love about Fassbender's Magneto...is that he's so damned confident, and almost shallow in his desire for revenge. It almost makes McKellan's Magneto seem sort of like a "broken" version of this one...but wiser, and more desirous to help his mutant brothers than take revenge. Though I think the trailer was a tad misleading in that regard.
He's great. Loved Sir McKellan's Magneto and I think the same will got for Fassbender.

Incredible is what I'm sensing based on this trailer.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #128
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Thumbs up Re: The official Michael Fassbender / Magneto thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1988 View Post
You picked that up by the two lines he said in the trailer?
+1

People sure love to jump the gun.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #129
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

People can feel whatever they want when they watch a trailer. Now there is such thing as jumping the gun like, "This is going to be the best _______ ever" but performance wise, it's a different thing. I remember people saying, "We don't know Heath is going to be as great as he is in that trailer!" and look, the Oscar buzz when that trailer hit paid off. I called it with Bale too for The Fighter, others did as well.

A great actor such as Fassbender and how great he in in that trailer, he's at least going to be good. I can't see him being bad.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #130
Wolverine1988
Side-Kick

But people are talking like they have seen the movie already in terms of his performance.

Thats the problem with comic book fans, they see a great trailer and get all worked up and so hyped up and expect perfection, than when it isn't met they get all *****y and start whining how it wasn't as good.

The trailer was amazing, but again people are jumping the gun pretty bad with this movie...

Old 02-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #131
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

I think that Fassbender is a good actor, but I've never been in awe of any of his performances so far. He'll do a good Magneto, though.

I think that people always go for the actor who plays the villain, the badass. Just take a look at some of the actors who won Oscars in the last few years: Heath, Christoph Waltz, Javier Barden, even Day-Lewis. I think that it became some kind of a trend and I'm getting a little bit tired of it, frankly.

Anyway, I think that First Class will be spectacular and I expect a wonderful interaction between the two leads. Now James McAvoy is the actor who puts me in a trance with his performances, but unfortunately he won't get the same amount of attention from the fanboys as Fassbender because he's not playing the flashy, villainous role. Oh well.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Old 02-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #132
Project862006
Banned User

^or maybe because magneto is a far more interesting character

Old 02-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #133
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

I don't know about that. Why are "villains" always more intriguing? I think that Charles Xavier has the potential to be a wonderful character; maybe all of his doubts and pain while dealing with his powers were never fully explored in the movies. Hopefully, this will be the first time.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #134
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
People can feel whatever they want when they watch a trailer. Now there is such thing as jumping the gun like, "This is going to be the best _______ ever" but performance wise, it's a different thing. I remember people saying, "We don't know Heath is going to be as great as he is in that trailer!" and look, the Oscar buzz when that trailer hit paid off. I called it with Bale too for The Fighter, others did as well.

A great actor such as Fassbender and how great he in in that trailer, he's at least going to be good. I can't see him being bad.
I'm with you, the moment I saw a shot of Bale on the set of The Fighter 2 years ago I told everyone I know that it would be his definitive role and that he would win an Oscar for it. They would all tell me "you haven't even seen the film!" but I'd stand by my hunch and then saw the film in December, only solidifying it further. He'll win next week

Sometimes you can just tell. I felt the same about Ledger too.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #135
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Bale winning the Oscar I'm not so sure about. Rush has a good chance. If Rush wins, I'm done with the Oscars completely until they redeem themselves in some way.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #136
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Bale winning the Oscar I'm not so sure about. Rush has a good chance. If Rush wins, I'm done with the Oscars completely until they redeem themselves in some way.

the academy does have a habit of not giving the oscar to a sports-related performance. mickey rourke was shafted. sean penn was not better than him. i have a feeling the same will happen to bale. rush will get it, even though bale swept every other award show.

whomever said "magneto is more interesting" is right. the villain usually is.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #137
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
whomever said "magneto is more interesting" is right. the villain usually is.
Not for me. I had no interest whatsoever to watch a "Magneto - Origins". Thankfully they decided to drop it in favor of a First Class story.

Villains are interesting to a certain extent. After all the cool and badass "revolting against the system and I want to change the world because the world is wrong and doesn't respect me" subdues, villains are just pathetic terrorists with no purpose. When I watched "The Baader Meinhof Complex" I kept thinking about that...what started as a really meaningful and justified movement quickly turned into terrorism and cruelty for no reason, lack of objective and a bunch of pathetic people hating each other. The final image of an old and solitary Magneto in X3 is how I would imagine him without his powers - i.e., his destructive force. I can't imagine Charles Xavier ending like Erik, even without his powers. Because Xavier was more interested in building than demolishing.

Magneto is a cool character; I loved all of his moments in the films, especially in X2. But all in all, using your special powers to destruct is easy, seeing the amount of anger we have inside of us. To control them, and do something useful with them is the hardest task. So Team Xavier all the way.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #138
JP
Smelly

Eh, Xavier's a jerk. Haha

Always been Team Magnus.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #139
Project862006
Banned User

the thing is magneto is not really a villian is what makes him so interesting

Old 02-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #140
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

He's a what, then?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #141
JP
Smelly

I always find it difficult to call Magneto a "villain". He's not that black and white.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #142
Project862006
Banned User

misunderstood

Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #143
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

I don't like the word "villain" too, but really...once you start killing innocent people I'm not cool with it, no matter your reasons. I would call Erik more a terrorist, and I hate terrorists, all of them. Misunderstood or not.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #144
succumbtofear
Man With Chops

I think what makes a villain interesting depends on their motives. They could be doing what they're doing for revenge, or to seek justice of some kind, even if what their doing is sort of brutal. Like, killing people. Magneto obviously has no problem taking a life.

But what makes it for me is that, sometimes the bad guy doesn't think he's in the wrong at all, they actually think what they're doing is for the good. And that's how I always saw Magneto. I mean, he's aware that what he is doing is bad, but at the same time, what he's doing may be what's right and needs to be done in his opinion.

He'd already went through hell of being discriminated and hated for what he was. Being put in the concentration camps, and seeing his family and others killed just for being what they were. Then he discovered he's also a mutant.

Now he's aware that people often fear and hate, and want to destroy what is different, or unknown to them. Like mutants. Having been through all that once already, and now he has the powers to fight back against those who are trying to harm mutant-kind.

On that note, I would love to see the Friends of Humanity show up in a future film.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #145
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Yeah, but terrorists almost always have good reasons, right? At least according to their own view of the world and its injustices. You can't say that IRA didn't have good reasons to revolt and try to free Ireland, but in the end they were killing children in market fairs. And you could say the same about all terrorist groups in the world. That's my main problem with them.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #146
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

magneto is probably considered an anti-hero in this movie. this quote from malcolm x kinda sums up magneto: "It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."

Old 02-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #147
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

The interesting thing about Erik is that he's doing these bad things because in a way, they're justified. Even though it's morally wrong, the man has a reason to turn. I almost can't blame him.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #148
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

i wonder if magda or his twins will be mentioned. the maximoff twins existed in x2, but they would probably be in their 40s or 50s in the x2 timeline.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #149
JP
Smelly

Magneto is in the killin' Nazi business. And cousin, business is a-boomin'.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #150
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
I think that Fassbender is a good actor, but I've never been in awe of any of his performances so far. He'll do a good Magneto, though.

I think that people always go for the actor who plays the villain, the badass. Just take a look at some of the actors who won Oscars in the last few years: Heath, Christoph Waltz, Javier Barden, even Day-Lewis. I think that it became some kind of a trend and I'm getting a little bit tired of it, frankly.

Anyway, I think that First Class will be spectacular and I expect a wonderful interaction between the two leads. Now James McAvoy is the actor who puts me in a trance with his performances, but unfortunately he won't get the same amount of attention from the fanboys as Fassbender because he's not playing the flashy, villainous role. Oh well.
These parts, along with having very talented actors giving great performances, are also very well written. These supporting roles, well that not including Day-Lewis, are simply more memorable. The problem is that people have forgotten how to write interesting protagonists, or at least come up with new and exciting ways to do so.

Closed Thread