The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #376
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

I thought Beast was great in the movie, Hoult did a good job and the suit was awesome once he changed, loved his fight with Azazel as well.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #377
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessOfDeath View Post
While I like him as Hank McCoy/Beast, Nicholas reminded me of a young Scott Summers. Was I the only one who felt this way?
I thought about that the day he was announced to be on First Class.

But there are more young actors out there that can be a good Cyclops too. Its not a hard role to cast at all.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #378
WeasleyIsRKing
Side-Kick

I thought Hoult was great at portraying Hank at his most vulnerable stage in life. He was completely unsure of himself. He had trouble figuring out what he wanted, and once he figured it out actually pursuing it. He developed the "cure" because he was so unsure and uncomfortable in himself. Thought Hoult did a great job in showing all that emotion without ever actually having to say it. Looking forward to see where they take Beast/Hank in a possible FC sequel.

WeasleyIsRKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #379
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I thought the look was fine...except when they are first standing together on the beach, his face was too much of a pale blue, didn't seem to match the other shots... I prefer the darker blue.
It's hit or miss for me. I really like how Beast looks in the international trailer, and there are a couple moments in the film I think he looks good (for instance, when Azazel has him pinned on the beach and is holding his tail just above Beast's eye). Then, there are other times I just don't care for it, like after Mystique says, "...mutant and proud."

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #380
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I know it's only a two hour movie or so but i thought the sped up transformation of hank in the movie was kind of off now that i think about it. When we first meet him he is obviously very consumed by his abnormally large feet, they're quite weird but there's worst "deformities" to have, then all of a sudden after the injection he transforms into this blue cat looking creature within the span of a few mins.

You'd think someone who was so paranoid/self conscience about having big feet would probably want to kill themselves after transforming into a blue cat creature within a couple of mins. There's no way he'd embrace his new form within a day or two or not at least not be incredibly traumatized.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #381
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I can imagine that's something they'd deal with in a sequel. But the next day, right after his transformation, they had to stop a nuclear war. There was just no time to mope around.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #382
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Hank's transformation takes place deep into the film near the climax, so they didn't have time for him to mope and question whether or not he should continue to live. It doesn't look good on Hank's part to contemplate suicide anyway, since this new covert group needs him and accepts him no matter what he looks like.

If anything, it shows that Beast was able to put away his feelings about himself temporarily for the greater good. When a nuclear war is on the horizon and a club of evil mutants is bent on world domination, you gotta believe in that old saying, "Kick ass now, cry later."

Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #383
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

The actor did very well. When I first saw Beast I wasn't too impressed. It was ok later but I think they can still improve on his look. I like seeing a more bestial Beast. If they can combine this look with KG's mature, dignified but completely non-bestial look I will be happy. Plus also give him some action scenes that require super agility.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #384
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

I think they should hire some parkour guy to do some stunts in the sequel.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #385
Matt Mortem
Mr. Tusk

Parkour would be ideal for Beast. It's a very agile, athletic sport and thats ultimately what I want to see in Beast.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 AM   #386
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I thought about that the day he was announced to be on First Class.

But there are more young actors out there that can be a good Cyclops too. Its not a hard role to cast at all.
Still campaignin for Aaron Johnson

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #387
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

A rooftop chase scene with Beast would be amazing...I'd think a rudimentary version of the Danger Room is worth debuting in a sequel.

Last edited by SuperSoldier985; 06-14-2011 at 01:05 AM.
SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #388
MilkmanDan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I thought he did a great job. Only one thing that bugged me... does anyone else think he looks almost exactly like James Marsden? In my head, I kept thinking "Cyclops" throughout the movie.
Same here. It's not just the look either. It was also the way he played the character. That kind of stiff, awkward, self-doubting geekness is what I would have expected from a "young Scott" rather than from Hank who has traditionally been portrayed as a funny, outgoing fellow.

MilkmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #389
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

They had to play up that angle so that it would make sense for his reasoning to take the cure. If he was a more outgoing and confident and self-assured character, his insecurities about his physical appearance wouldn't have gelled as much.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:31 AM   #390
josh8
Side-Kick

I liked the movie Beast except for a few nitpicks. He shouldn't have worn glasses. It's such a stereotype that geniuses must wear glasses, and since they made him a trained pilot in the movie as well, then he should never have needed them in the first place.

I get that they're trying to show the gentile beast with glasses, but they looked so much like prop toy glasses against his fur that it took away from the look.

Also, I wish his fur was a little less royal blue and that he didn't have that fur around his neck area. It was really distracting and looked like a shirt collar haha.

One last comment... it didn't really sound like Hoult's voice anymore after the transformation. If that was still his voice, that was pretty amazing.

josh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:35 AM   #391
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Hank's transformation takes place deep into the film near the climax, so they didn't have time for him to mope and question whether or not he should continue to live. It doesn't look good on Hank's part to contemplate suicide anyway, since this new covert group needs him and accepts him no matter what he looks like.

If anything, it shows that Beast was able to put away his feelings about himself temporarily for the greater good. When a nuclear war is on the horizon and a club of evil mutants is bent on world domination, you gotta believe in that old saying, "Kick ass now, cry later."
Well put actually. I liked Hoult as Hank, and I think he's a talented young actor. He certainly played the role with conviction.

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #392
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
I liked the movie Beast except for a few nitpicks. He shouldn't have worn glasses. It's such a stereotype that geniuses must wear glasses, and since they made him a trained pilot in the movie as well, then he should never have needed them in the first place.

I get that they're trying to show the gentile beast with glasses, but they looked so much like prop toy glasses against his fur that it took away from the look.
Comic Beast wears glasses all the time. First Class was just trying to be accurate to the look.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #393
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Yup. It was polarizing because here you have the most bizarre looking creature we've seen yet in the movie, wearing glasses. It'll look pretty silly to see on-screen and maybe even a bit jarring.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #394
josh8
Side-Kick

Haha I know it's a nitpick, but if they wanted to have him with glasses, they should have been consistent. All of a sudden he doesn't need them while flying a jet?? At least have him wear goggles. I guess my main problem was that the glasses just looked so fake when they were on blue Beast.

josh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #395
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yeah Blue Beast didn't look good with glasses.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #396
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

atleast not those glasses...

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #397
Project862006
Banned User

saw the film yesterday and Hoult was amazing he was the best of the young mutants imo

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #398
gkokujin
Side-Kick

apparently a pep talk from Xavier gives him superspeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #399
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkokujin View Post
Oh look! A Green Lantern worshipper has arrived...

Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #400
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkokujin View Post
He was a scientist and a wiz kid almost his entire life. I don't think he ever pushed himself in any physical endeavors.

It made sense within the context of the scenario.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote