The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #776
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under your Refrigerator
Posts: 38,927
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

and probably explains why he was human in X2

__________________
There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #777
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,788
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

So I don't really wanna go into this much but since it seems that Hank can suppress his Beastly form in DOFP does that contradict his turn in X3?

I haven't watched it in a while, I know he didn't take the cure so it's reasonable to assume that he embraces the Beast look between DOFP and X3

__________________
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 68% | X-Men DOFP - 95% | Dawn/Apes - 98% | GOTG - 95%

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #778
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,419
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

This isn't all that different than him wearing some kind of image modifier (which some people speculated). And there's like an almost 40 year time gap between DOFP and X3, so it doesn't contradict anything. He could have easily changed his views during that time frame.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #779
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,804
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Apparently he can remain human in appearance if he doesn't get angry.

Sounds a bit like The Hulk, but it's worth it if it allows us to see Beast struggling with his "animal/mutant" side.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #780
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,688
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

I Suspect that will a big part of the scenes with hank and Logan, with wolverines temper and wild nature

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #781
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger
 
Duran Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,476
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

The full Nicholas Hoult interview (as well as James Mcavoy's and Hugh Jackman's interviews):

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/set-...medium=twitter

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Duran Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #782
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,804
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

It makes sense. Just having be blue and furry and not caring for it isn't really enough of an ongoing "struggle" for the character moving forward. This approach blends the idea that Beast is a scientist, and the idea that he is struggling with his very nature quite nicely.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #783
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under your Refrigerator
Posts: 38,927
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

and it explains how he can appear human in X2 and be blue and furry in X3

__________________
There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #784
Rorschach2012
$
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,937
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
and it explains how he can appear human in X2 and be blue and furry in X3
while i like that it fixes that continuity error, i still don't like the fact that they've basically turned him into the Hulk.... he only changes into a monster with different color skin when he gets worked up... it's too similar imo. It's assumed that Fox are trying to set up a universe that rivals the MCU, but this takes it too far.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #785
Malik
Side-Kick
 
Malik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,160
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Lol

__________________
I'm the star that burns brightest.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #786
Morti
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 365
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Honestly, I apologize for sounding like a broken record, but even though this Beast/Hulk comparison is blatantly obvious, I think we as fans should at least be appreciative that there was some sort of character development that went into Beast. Look how dry most of the X-Men have been (Cyclops, Rogue, Iceman, Colossus, Kitty...wow this is depressing...), at least take solace in the fact that Beast is getting character development.

Not saying it's perfect, but hey it's somethin'!

Morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #787
Farren
Side Kicker
 
Farren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Under Harvey Dent's Desk
Posts: 2,574
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

I feel like the only reason they're doing this "Hulk" like thing with Beast is because they want him to able to walk around in public and blend in. Like, they whittled down the FC cast so much to where the past team is Charles, Hank, Wolverine (and QS for 10 minutes), which means they can't afford to let Hank be off tinkering in a lab or piloting their escape plane. And then instead of coming up with a creative way of dealing with the issue, they just do the easier fix of altering a HUGE part of his character.

Beast doesn't turn into Beast when his emotions run hot. That is not what his character and his struggles are about. They are changing stuff because they are lazy and can't plan ahead. This has ALWAYS been a problem with Fox.

I'm still positive about this movie, but errrggghh at this situation.

__________________
C2: Cyclops Fans - United (2006)
I Believe in Aaron Eckhart
Farren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #788
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,510
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren View Post
I feel like the only reason they're doing this "Hulk" like thing with Beast is because they want him to able to walk around in public and blend in. Like, they whittled down the FC cast so much to where the past team is Charles, Hank, Wolverine (and QS for 10 minutes), which means they can't afford to let Hank be off tinkering in a lab or piloting their escape plane. And then instead of coming up with a creative way of dealing with the issue, they just do the easier fix of altering a HUGE part of his character.

Beast doesn't turn into Beast when his emotions run hot. That is not what his character and his struggles are about. They are changing stuff because they are lazy and can't plan ahead. This has ALWAYS been a problem with Fox.

I'm still positive about this movie, but errrggghh at this situation.
I have to agree with, its one of the things Singer has done with these movies that I havent liked. Beast should be Beast all of the time, not turn into him when he gets angry.

I think the most disappointing part is that it just seems lazy.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:02 AM   #789
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick
 
EnDz0n3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,092
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Considering Beast has changed appearances a number of times, I don't get the complaint at all.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:22 AM   #790
BMM
Side-Kick
 
BMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,390
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

The only problem I have with the serum/anger conversion is that it seems too similar to Hulk. Beyond that, Beast struggling with his appearance and manifesting that struggle through the development of a serum is absolutely on point.


Last edited by BMM; 02-21-2014 at 02:25 AM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #791
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,164
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

I've no problem with the serum but there'll be a lot of Hulk digs to come for sure.

Mrs Vimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #792
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

I suspect it will be an image inducer.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #793
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,688
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Some are taking the whole hank things as an insult to them but fail to realize the idea for this is still hank becoming who he will become and accepting of himself as beast, it will make for some intense and emotional scenes, i can see hank and logan talking about it a fair bit

it sounds to me that the writer or singer feel xavier at least should accept the chair and not be forced into it. and that probably goes the same with beast he will have to choose to stop hiding and not be forced into accepting it

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #794
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,438
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Personally, I'm not seeing why this is A) such a contradiction when it comes to Hank's characterization/role in other films in the franchise and B) such a travesty.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #795
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,788
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren View Post
I feel like the only reason they're doing this "Hulk" like thing with Beast is because they want him to able to walk around in public and blend in.
Agreed with this. Given the state of mutant relations in 1973 he couldn't walk around all blue and furry without being arrested most likely

Plus it fits into his characters insecurity.

__________________
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 68% | X-Men DOFP - 95% | Dawn/Apes - 98% | GOTG - 95%

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 02-21-2014 at 07:23 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #796
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,510
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
The only problem I have with the serum/anger conversion is that it seems too similar to Hulk. Beyond that, Beast struggling with his appearance and manifesting that struggle through the development of a serum is absolutely on point.
Yeah thats my main issue with it, just wish they had gone another way, were the serum makes him human but he turns into Beast at inopportune moments rather then when he is angry.

The angle they have gone with just seems like lazy thinking to me.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #797
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.
 
CyclopsWasRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,788
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

You'd need something to trigger his Beast mutation so he can change when needed to fight, other than anger what possibilities are there?

Pain perhaps? It releases endorphins which could nullify the serum and allow him to transform on que.

Image Inducer would've been perfect, if it wasn't the Seventies.

__________________
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 68% | X-Men DOFP - 95% | Dawn/Apes - 98% | GOTG - 95%

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:43 AM   #798
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat
 
Malcolm Reynold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England
Posts: 363
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
The only problem I have with the serum/anger conversion is that it seems too similar to Hulk. Beyond that, Beast struggling with his appearance and manifesting that struggle through the development of a serum is absolutely on point.
But he shouldn't be struggling with his appearance, otherwise that negates his character arc in First Class. It's bad writing if they just do the same arc again. Also, it works for the Hulk because of Banner's pre-Hulk anger problems, it sort of ironic that his greatest weakness is his superpower. With Beast the irony came from the fact that this animal was one of the smartest people on the planet. Nothing about Beast's character has anything to do with anger. It's lazy writing.

__________________
"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty."

"I aim to misbehave."
Malcolm Reynold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #799
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,164
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Reynold View Post
But he shouldn't be struggling with his appearance, otherwise that negates his character arc in First Class. It's bad writing if they just do the same arc again.
But Hank hasn't accepted his appearance by the end of First Class, so his arc was never fully over. He was massively insecure about his feet and then he turned himself into something even more extreme, but the film never dealt with his feelings over it. So I can't see how dealing with this in DoFP negates an arc that was never complete to start with.

Mrs Vimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #800
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick
 
EnDz0n3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,092
Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Reynold View Post
But he shouldn't be struggling with his appearance, otherwise that negates his character arc in First Class. It's bad writing if they just do the same arc again. Also, it works for the Hulk because of Banner's pre-Hulk anger problems, it sort of ironic that his greatest weakness is his superpower. With Beast the irony came from the fact that this animal was one of the smartest people on the planet. Nothing about Beast's character has anything to do with anger. It's lazy writing.
What makes you think his arc was complete by the end of FC? When Mystique said her Mutant and Proud *groan* line at the end of FC, Beast reacted negatively to it, so I disagree. His arc was not fully over yet.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.