The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 02-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #801
Angamb
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Yeah, but between Fc and Dofp there were 11 years so thats plenty of time to have that arc lol

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #802
BMM
Side-Kick

Yes, because that's what these movies need--more stuff to happen offscreen.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #803
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Alot of people wanted to see the aftermath and didnt want it skipped over

Old 02-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #804
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
The only problem I have with the serum/anger conversion is that it seems too similar to Hulk. Beyond that, Beast struggling with his appearance and manifesting that struggle through the development of a serum is absolutely on point.
Yeah thats my main issue with it, just wish they had gone another way, were the serum makes him human but he turns into Beast at inopportune moments rather then when he is angry.

The angle they have gone with just seems like lazy thinking to me.
I like that idea much better.

Or, just stemming off from that, maybe something where the serum has started to loose it's effectiveness over time and Hank is finding that he's reverting faster between doses, putting him into a situation where he's dosing more and more often and approaching toxic levels. That would create tension and open the door for why he eventually has to accept who he really is.

The problem with this "Hulk" angle is that it shifts too much focus away from Hank worrying about his appearance and starts to make it be more about "Hank needs to keep his emotions in check." And in an ensemble movie where you're already limited on how much attention each character will get, the script has just handicapped Hank's characterization right from the start.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #805
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

its more appropriate for the film and for his character because it will make for way more interesting moments and give hank a more darker edge, and it means he is holding back his beast nature but when it comes to danger he will obviously become beast so all the pieces fit, personally i don't care if its like hulk, its more a plot device

i can see someone really pissing of hank near the end, maybe logan intentionally, although maybe im getting that from the wolverine vs hulk mini film they made haha

Old 02-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #806
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Reynold View Post
But he shouldn't be struggling with his appearance, otherwise that negates his character arc in First Class.
You mean the arc that didn't happen?

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #807
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

His arc was being ashamed of his mutancy and wanting to fix it and ending up worse in the process. That will continue in this with him again trying to fix himself and most likely coming to accept himself

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #808
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
His arc was being ashamed of his mutancy and wanting to fix it and ending up worse in the process. That will continue in this with him again trying to fix himself and most likely coming to accept himself
But it's been eleven years. He shouldn't be in the same place as he was at the end of FC. Another reason why the Hulk angle doesn't work is because, for Bruce Banner the Hulk is an uncontrollable monster so it means there are consequences for Banner losing his temper. When Beast changes he just looks different and gets stronger and more agile. If there are no consequences for him getting angry then why should we care?

"I aim to misbehave."
Malcolm Reynold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #809
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
But it's been eleven years. He shouldn't be in the same place as he was at the end of FC. Another reason why the Hulk angle doesn't work is because, for Bruce Banner the Hulk is an uncontrollable monster so it means there are consequences for Banner losing his temper. When Beast changes he just looks different and gets stronger and more agile. If there are no consequences for him getting angry then why should we care?
He is embarrassed and ashamed of it, I believe it was said in hoults interview

I think its more in him not wanting to look like a blue hairy monster, not the fact he can do awesome thing as the blue hairy monster

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 02-22-2014 at 02:56 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #810
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
But it's been eleven years. He shouldn't be in the same place as he was at the end of FC.
How much time has passed is irrelevant to one's emotional insecurities.

Quote:
Another reason why the Hulk angle doesn't work is because, for Bruce Banner the Hulk is an uncontrollable monster so it means there are consequences for Banner losing his temper. When Beast changes he just looks different and gets stronger and more agile. If there are no consequences for him getting angry then why should we care?
There's no "Hulk angle" at all. He's ashamed of what he is and tries to hide it. What is so hard to understand?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #811
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
He is embarrassed and ashamed of it, I believe it was said in hoults interview

I think its more in him not wanting to look like a blue hairy monster, not the fact he can do awesome thing as the blue hairy monster
But there is no link in his character between anger and embarrassment. It's just taking from the Hulk and putting it somewhere it doesn't fit. It makes no sense for his character. It would have been better if it was an improved version of the serum from FC, where it made him look normal for a short while. Then he perfects his cure. Then he has to choose between looking normal or using his powers to help his friends.

"I aim to misbehave."
Old 02-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #812
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
It would have been better if it was an improved version of the serum from FC, where it made him look normal for a short while. Then he perfects his cure. Then he has to choose between looking normal or using his powers to help his friends.
What makes you think it doesn't?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #813
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland-Jr View Post
What makes you think it doesn't?
Because they have confirmed how he looks human, it's not speculation anymore, they told us. They said he injected himself with a serum that allows him to be normal except in times of high emotion where he changes. That's not Beast, that's the Hulk.

"I aim to misbehave."
Old 02-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #814
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Because they have confirmed how he looks human, it's not speculation anymore, they told us. They said he injected himself with a serum that allows him to be normal except in times of high emotion where he changes.
So what? That doesn't preclude that the serum could be temporary. They have never said that he can change back and forth either.

Last edited by Mulholland-Jr; 02-22-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #815
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

If he looked normal for a short while it would mean he wouldn't see beast rarely at all in the action scenes because he needs a reason to become him at the right time, its a plot device that will add depth and cool moments

he will likely have to choose to remain beast and He obviously has a more animal nature so it's not totally out of the question for anger to set him off

I mean just look at this happy face

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 02-22-2014 at 03:44 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #816
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because they have confirmed how he looks human, it's not speculation anymore, they told us. They said he injected himself with a serum that allows him to be normal except in times of high emotion where he changes. That's not Beast, that's the Hulk.
Hulk injected himself to look normal? Must've been a "What If?" issue I missed.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #817
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Hulk injected himself to look normal? Must've been a "What If?" issue I missed.
It's not identical obviously, but a scientist is subject to an experiment which causes him to change when he feels strong emotion and anger. You can't deny the similarities.

"I aim to misbehave."
Old 02-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #818
The Guard
Side-Kick

Hmmm...it's weird. That "Hulk" concept you describe reminds me of a piece of classic literature I once read...definitely has some similarities...it's almost like it's the same thing...

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #819
The Guard
Side-Kick

He's most certainly NOT in the same place he was at the end of X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, as he has a working serum to transform himself back. Don't think that happened overnight.

As far as the "anger issues" angle goes, I don't think it's about anger so much as it's about him trying to suppress his "animal" instincts, specifically the more beastlike ones; rage, hate, anger, but also tendency toward violence, etc. They're drawing from X-Men lore in that regard, because there was a whole storyline about Beast regressing and worrying about losing his ability to control himself and his intelligence.

So in this, he apparently tries to contain it, and to control it, but ultimately, the beast comes out. Is that kinda like Hulk? Sure. It's also kind of like the classic character Mr. Hyde, Etrigan, and a number of other comic book characters. And if that's ALL his character was, that would be an issue. But that's NOT all his character is.

Next someone will be complaining because Professor X is a telepath, a thing that other characters in literature have also been.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #820
Bren
Forevernoob

I hope it's just him trying to hold his animal instincts at bay, fight/flight.... shag

We all have them, but as humans and adults moreso, we can generally control such in pressure situations. Some better than others.

Imagine a massively tense situation, where just one wrong word or move will be the trigger for instant and brutal violence.
Put Beast into that situation, where his animal instincts are SCREAMING to fight or flight... I reckon he can become that wrong move, with interesting results.

Wouldn't like it as much if it were just 'anger'.....

Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #821
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
But there is no link in his character between anger and embarrassment.
There doesn't have to be a link. It's a biological reaction.

Quote:
It's not identical obviously, but a scientist is subject to an experiment which causes him to change when he feels strong emotion and anger. You can't deny the similarities.
He serum doesn't equal him changing into a beast. His experiment suppresses the beast and puts on the facade on humanity.

He's the reverse of Hulk.

Banner becomes a monster, it's the opposite for Mccoy, he is the Beast who becomes Hank

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 02-22-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #822
Rike
Something strange here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Banner becomes a monster. The Beast is forced to become Hank

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #823
Browncoat Alex

To me it seems like they are just doing it so there are less scenes where they have to apply all that make-up. Fox probably figured they could save $1000 on labour costs for those few extra hours so they resorted to lazy writing.

Browncoat Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #824
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat Alex View Post
To me it seems like they are just doing it so there are less scenes where they have to apply all that make-up. Fox probably figured they could save $1000 on labour costs for those few extra hours so they resorted to lazy writing.
Could be but that's not lazy writing anymore than Hulk only have 7 or so minutes of screen time in Avengers and the Transformers not being the star of their own movies.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #825
Rike
Something strange here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat Alex View Post
But Fox didn't wrote this movie.

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote