The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 04-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #501
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: Acts of Terrorism

Yeah, that prize might have just been a wee bit premature.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #502
dnno1
Side-Kick

I just read where they arrested a suspect on the ricin letters. He may have been an Elvis impersonator.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #503
SV Fan
Side-Kick

I think this is related to the Boston Marathon bombing but it's not 100% confirmed

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...QuL/story.html

Quote:
Chaos descends on Cambridge and Watertown; MIT police officer shot and killed

WATERTOWN — A scene of chaos descended on Cambridge and Watertown late Thursday night and early Friday morning, as police confirmed an MIT police officer was shot and killed, and an apparent carjacking led police on a wild chase into Watertown.

Witnesses in Watertown said they heard explosions. Police officers were screaming about improvised explosive devices. Authorities would not comment on whether the events were connected to Monday’s Boston Marathon bombing. At least one of the suspects in Watertown appeared to be a man in his 20s.

SV Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #504
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I think this is related to the Boston Marathon bombing but it's not 100% confirmed

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...QuL/story.html
Yes, they found both suspects in Watertown, they had I believe, carjacked a mercedes....the older of the two brothers was killed, and another person was arrested, NOT his younger brother, the one in the white hat....he fled the scene and they are in pursuit of him now...they have gone through about 80% of the houses and businesses in Watertown.

From what I have heard, the younger brother got into a car, ran over his injured brother, and blew through a police baracade...just crazy...

Old 04-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #505
Paradoxium

The response to Boston was incredibly disappointing.

I thought there would be soul searching, yet people were fistpumping. Some even have the audacity to talk about courage. You have to step back a moment, and look at it again.

Two wannabe terrorists manage to shut down a city, and institute pseudo Martial Law in a town of 30,000. It cost nearly half a billion dollars in one day. Everyone hid at home, and people who didn't make it home, weren't allowed back. All the while with thousands of cops and soldiers, with top of the line hardware and expensive tech... did not find the 19 year old with basically no training.

They found him after they gave up. Only when it was some guy who noticed blood on his boat. Yea they did use a heatmap, AFTER THE ****ING FACT.

This is a victory? Jihadists saw a bunch of hiding pussies, who were unable to defend/stand for themselves. While a (inept) mockery was made of the Constitution. This is as Pyrrhic as it gets.

All televised in front of the god damn world.

Have a ****ing popcorn.

Last edited by Paradoxium; 04-20-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #506
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
The response to Boston was incredibly disappointing.

I thought there would be soul searching, yet people were fistpumping. Some even have the audacity to talk about courage. You have to step back a moment, and look at it again.

Two wannabe terrorists manage to shut down a city, and institute pseudo Martial Law in a town of 30,000. It cost nearly half a billion dollars in one day. Everyone hid at home, and people who didn't make it home, weren't allowed back. All the while with thousands of cops and soldiers, with top of the line hardware and expensive tech... did not find the 19 year old with basically no training.

They found him after they gave up. Only when it was some guy who noticed blood on his boat. Yea they did use a heatmap, AFTER THE ****ING FACT.

This is a victory? Jihadists saw a bunch of hiding pussies, who were unable to defend/stand for themselves. While a (inept) mockery was made of the Constitution. This is as Pyrrhic as it gets.

All televised in front of the god damn world.

Have a ****ing popcorn.
Just imagine the chaos that would ensue if there were multiple attacks in multiple cities. It would make the country go to the brink of falling apart. Country has gotten a little soft.

Webfoot Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #507
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

A little soft....hell we can't even call terrorists....terrorists.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #508
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
A little soft....hell we can't even call terrorists....terrorists.
It's like certain groups want the terrorists to have more rights than the average law-abiding US citizen. Sometimes calling a terrorist a terrorist is not the worst thing in the world. PC has it's consequences and this is one of them.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #509
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Well, I gave up on this administration when they called the Fort Hood shooting a workplace shooting....WTF? The guy was on record as saying that he hated America, they also had documents that showed he had ties to terrorist groups....and its a workplace shooting?????? I gave up then....

Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #510
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Well, I gave up on this administration when they called the Fort Hood shooting a workplace shooting....WTF? The guy was on record as saying that he hated America, they also had documents that showed he had ties to terrorist groups....and its a workplace shooting?????? I gave up then....
Same for me. It showed they didn't take his past actions into account also into deeming him a terrorist. He really should have been kicked out of the military earlier for statements he made while in medical training but the PC-ness of the military and government kept him in.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #511
regwec
Shakespearo

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...mbs-us-gun-law

I found this article interesting- it contrasts how much Americans worry about terrorism as opposed to other daily risks.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #512
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

It is an interesting article. But it's also ironic. British people freak out about guns, but brush off terrorism. I suppose it's all relative to cultural experience.

Ever since Europeans came to America there have been shoot outs. Bombings however are a relatively new and rare thing.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #513
Paradoxium

Media speculates it's a domestic rightwing teabagger. I saw the general forums thread even talk about this. How they had a feeling it is so. Turns out it is a politically incorrect person. Islamic Chechen who was a Obama supporting pothead.

Now we get awesome quotes like this:

Quote:
Our reaction to terrorism shouldnt be predicated on the demography of the terrorists. Sad that bigotry apparently obscures this simple truth David Sirota (@davidsirota)
Quote:
If your reaction to today is excitement or partisan glee, you've lost your soul. The events of today & the past few days have been very sad. David Sirota (@davidsirota)
Quote:
My point has always been that you shouldn't make assumptions based on race.This proves it. What are you going to do target all Caucasians? Cenk Uygur (@cenkuygur)
Quote:
The fact that we know more about religious/national background of Boston suspects doesn't mean motive has to do with those things. (@AdamSerwer)

After trollololing crap like this: http://www.salon.com/2013/04/16/lets...hite_american/

The Chutzpah is hilarious.

Well if people are worried about stereotyping I wouldn't. Most Americans don't know **** about Chechens to actually stereotype Chechens.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #514
Paradoxium

Anyone see the FreeJahar hashtag? Or the chicks who dig him.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #515
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
It is an interesting article. But it's also ironic. British people freak out about guns, but brush off terrorism. I suppose it's all relative to cultural experience.
Well, without taking a side on the divide, it is more logical to worry about gun crime as a matter of pure statistics in the US. The UK has comparatively little gun crime, perhaps because it has very strict gun control. As a result, in my experience Brits don't 'worry' about gun crime to any unusual degree. I suppose you could argue that Brits have strict gun control because they worry about guns, in a chicken-and-egg situation.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #516
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Yes. British have gun laws that predate America's existence.

Americans also have a rather odd sense of safety, at least from outside attacks.

There are millions of Brits who grew up with daily German bombings. It's a rather alien concept to most Americans, young and old. America seemed untouchable. 9/11 shattered that illusion.

Even Pearl Harbor doesn't compare, since it happened in a distant island territory somewhere in the Pacific, most Americans couldn't (and still probably can't now that it's a state) find on a map.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #517
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I think most British people are used to the idea of bombings, terrorism due to the Blitz in World War 2, IRA bombings through the decades, Neo-Nazis David Copelands nail bombings of 1999 and more recent London 7/7 bombings/Glasgow airport attack by Islamic extremists.

I think if you live in a major city you can expect some form of attack one day.

I don't know many British people who feel the need to own a firearm to either defend themselves or feel safe or think that owning one will make them anymore safe.

Some Americans I think feel British people are being snobs, arrogant or think with their attitude about guns or gun crime but its actually just that gun culture is very different in our two countries so can be confusing for each side to understand sometimes.

Last edited by chamber-music; 04-21-2013 at 03:28 PM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #518
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

You never worry about **** until it happens to you. It's just how it is.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #519
regwec
Shakespearo

Although we also have the pleasure of people like Derek Bird terrorising the countryside.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #520
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
You never worry about **** until it happens to you. It's just how it is.
chamber-music was sort of saying the opposite of that: we don't worry about terrorism so much because we are used to it. There is probably an analogy to be made with the US and high school shootings.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #521
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Although we also have the pleasure of people like Derek Bird terrorising the countryside.
Thankfully things like that are still relatively rare.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #522
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

It's kind of funny though because shootings kill so many more people than terrorism. Those Chechen brothers killed three people (with the bomb anyway), while everyday on average 34 people are shot dead.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #523
regwec
Shakespearo

There is a bit of an imbalance between the fatalities and the fallout from Boston, but you must remember that many more were severely injured. Many, many lives will have been changed irrevocably.

Nevertheless, it does seem that the fear of a 'bad guy' affects the American conscience much more than the inherent risk of a culture of gun-ownership. I suppose it is a matter of risk being normalised. In HIV-ridden sub-Saharan Africa, people have a lot of casual sex. It's just what you do.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #524
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Bombs are viewed as much more of a terror device than a gun because so few people use those.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #525
regwec
Shakespearo

Sure, but it is a question about what you should be rationally worried about, as opposed to what you should be worried about as a 'terror device'. I think the point Thundercrack was making is that Boston is remarkable for the way that an entire city completely shut down in response to a very few deaths.