The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #526
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: Acts of Terrorism

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Bombs are viewed as much more of a terror device than a gun because so few people use those.
That's because they have guns
Take away guns and you increase other forms of violence.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #527
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
A little soft....hell we can't even call terrorists....terrorists.
Welcome to PC America.
It will be our downfall.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #528
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
That's because they have guns
Take away guns and you increase other forms of violence.
Less lethal violence, hence a reasonable idea.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #529
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Apparently, a plot that would have attacked the Canadian/US border via a trainline over the Niagara River was uncovered and busted up.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...c-arrests.html

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #530
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Apparently, a plot that would have attacked the Canadian/US border via a trainline over the Niagara River was uncovered and busted up.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...c-arrests.html
We are able to thwart this type....but we need to do a much better job of things like Boston......liiiiiiiiiiiiiiike the FBI not letting someone go that Russia....RUSSIA tells us we need to keep an eye on....so.....ok, we will bring you in and talk with you for 45 minutes, but because you have a job, and here legally, we'll let you go....WTF? If that is how we take care of those that are here legally, I wonder what we do with those here illegally????? oh yea....they kill 3,000....

Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #531
SV Fan
Side-Kick

http://news.yahoo.com/boston-bomb-su...opstories.html

Quote:
Boston Bomb Suspect Eyed in Connection to 2011 Triple Murder

In the wake of the revelations about the violent nature of accused marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev, investigators in the Boston suburbs tell ABC News they are probing whether he may have been involved in an unsolved grisly triple homicide of a former roommate and two others. The murders took place around the tenth anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

"We are looking at a possible connection with the suspect in the marathon atrocity and this active and open homicide in Waltham,'' Stephanie Guyotte, a spokeswoman for the Middlesex County District Attorney, confirmed to ABC News.

Tsarnaev, the alleged bombing mastermind who died in a fierce gun battle with police early Friday morning, had been training with one of the 2011 murder victims in an attempt to transition from boxing into a possible career in the brutal sport of mixed-martial arts.

The victims were found in a Waltham, Massachusetts apartment. They had their throat slashed, their heads nearly decapitated. Their mutilated bodies were left covered with marijuana.

It was a gruesome scene – but also perplexing to law enforcement. While drugs appeared to factor into the motive, the murderer left both the marijuana and thousands of dollars in cash behind in the Waltham apartment. While the investigation has been active for more than a year, authorities acknowledged they have had few leads.

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #532
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Car bomb exploded outside French embassy in Libya.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/24/wo...cked.html?_r=0

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #533
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
The response to Boston was incredibly disappointing.

I thought there would be soul searching, yet people were fistpumping. Some even have the audacity to talk about courage. You have to step back a moment, and look at it again.

Two wannabe terrorists manage to shut down a city, and institute pseudo Martial Law in a town of 30,000. It cost nearly half a billion dollars in one day. Everyone hid at home, and people who didn't make it home, weren't allowed back. All the while with thousands of cops and soldiers, with top of the line hardware and expensive tech... did not find the 19 year old with basically no training.

They found him after they gave up. Only when it was some guy who noticed blood on his boat. Yea they did use a heatmap, AFTER THE ****ING FACT.

This is a victory? Jihadists saw a bunch of hiding pussies, who were unable to defend/stand for themselves. While a (inept) mockery was made of the Constitution. This is as Pyrrhic as it gets.

All televised in front of the god damn world.

Have a ****ing popcorn.

Yeah I'm sure you'd be the first to personally track this guy down in the face of gunfire running through streets scattered with explosives. I'm sure you would just breeze through the logistics of a high speed chase with violent criminals in tightly packed residential neighborhoods.

Last edited by redhawk23; 04-23-2013 at 11:54 AM.
redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #534
regwec
Shakespearo

I doubt he's really suggesting that. It could be argued, however, that much more serious situations have been dealt with much more coolly and efficiently elsewhere in the world. That isn't a criticism of the Bostonians, but rather a reflection that the response wasnt optimal, and that lessons can be learned. If an act like this can close down a city, then civilisation has lost.

The flag-waving whoo-hooing afterwards is something that non-Americans are unlikely ever to understand, but then every culture treats responds to things in its own way.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #535
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I'm still amazed that a 19 year old college student got through the line full of ATF, FBI, SWAT, Police, Sheriff, and U.S. Marshal's departments....that still blows my mind.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #536
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I doubt he's really suggesting that. It could be argued, however, that much more serious situations have been dealt with much more coolly and efficiently elsewhere in the world. That isn't a criticism of the Bostonians, but rather a reflection that the response wasnt optimal, and that lessons can be learned. If an act like this can close down a city, then civilisation has lost.

The flag-waving whoo-hooing afterwards is something that non-Americans are unlikely ever to understand, but then every culture treats responds to things in its own way.
Heck, i'm an American and even I don't understand it. So, we survived one bomb blast. Big deal...there are other places in the world that deal with it daily.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #537
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Heck, i'm an American and even I don't understand it. So, we survived one bomb blast. Big deal...there are other places in the world that deal with it daily.
Two bomb blasts, not counting the ones they threw out the vehicle. The reason is because your government and your military is highly competent at stopping these attacks most of the time without the public ever even knowing. "When you've don't things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all".

So, when an attack DOES happen, it's a big deal. It's common. The more you "have" the more worried you are to lose a little. It's not an American thing, it's human psychology.

Also, I'll add that those places who deal with it daily deal with it because their nation is overrun by criminal cartels or terrorists. So, every terrorist we catch allows us to not become Afghanistan for another day.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #538
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Another of my biggest questions is...

Why would we allow them to vacation in the country they ran from and came here for political asylum? I don't get that....if they are going there for vacation? When should have said, it's time for you to move back. If you want to come here for school, etc. ? then file for that type of visa, but you have to go back to the country that you were afraid of, but now are fine visiting on vacation.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #539
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!

Cause they were lying terrorists, and our government in this instance didnt pay any attention.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #540
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDemon View Post
Two bomb blasts, not counting the ones they threw out the vehicle. The reason is because your government and your military is highly competent at stopping these attacks most of the time without the public ever even knowing. "When you've don't things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all".
No, it's because they are rarely attempted. The terrorist threat is mostly a fear-based fantasy that has flowed unhappily from the genuine outrage of 9/11.

Quote:
So, when an attack DOES happen, it's a big deal. It's common. The more you "have" the more worried you are to lose a little. It's not an American thing, it's human psychology.
As well as sounding highly bigoted (I hope I have just misunderstood you), I doubt this is accurate. In my experience, people care just as much about their lives and the safety of their loved ones irrespective of their wealth.

Quote:
Also, I'll add that those places who deal with it daily deal with it because their nation is overrun by criminal cartels or terrorists. So, every terrorist we catch allows us to not become Afghanistan for another day.
Terrorism becomes frequent where there is conflict. Israel suffers from terrorism hugely because of its geopolitical position; Kashmir is much the same; Afghanistan and Sudan are ridden with violence because their borders cross tribal and religious faultlines.

The reason America is relatively secure is that it has the good fortune to have peaceful neighbours in Canada and Mexico, and a lack of serious political agitation internally. It is an enviable position to be in, but by the same criteria Iceland has the most effective counter terrorism policy in the world.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #541
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
No, it's because they are rarely attempted. The terrorist threat is mostly a fear-based fantasy that has flowed unhappily from the genuine outrage of 9/11.

As well as sounding highly bigoted (I hope I have just misunderstood you), I doubt this is accurate. In my experience, people care just as much about their lives and the safety of their loved ones irrespective of their wealth.

Terrorism becomes frequent where there is conflict. Israel suffers from terrorism hugely because of its geopolitical position; Kashmir is much the same; Afghanistan and Sudan are ridden with violence because their borders cross tribal and religious faultlines.

The reason America is relatively secure is that it has the good fortune to have peaceful neighbours in Canada and Mexico, and a lack of serious political agitation internally. It is an enviable position to be in, but by the same criteria Iceland has the most effective counter terrorism policy in the world.
I'm in the military, not gonna say any more about that. Things get prevented, media sometimes never knows. What I mean is, it is hard for terrorists to fly over here and commit terror most of the time. Prevention comes from many things, and I was not specific.

And don't worry, it was a misunderstanding. I can't remember the phrase, but it's a real thing, and I wasn't talking about wealth.

I agree with your cause of terrorism; I never said terrorism wasnt cause by that.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #542
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Hmmmm.....I would venture to say that far more gets stopped than we know about.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 AM   #543
regwec
Shakespearo

That goes for any crime.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #544
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Benghazi is about to hit the **** fan....dang.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #545
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #546
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Benghazi is about to hit the **** fan....dang.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I think Fox News has cried wolf one to many times about poop hitting the fan, that Benghazi is almost becoming a joke

Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #547
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I think Fox News has cried wolf one to many times about poop hitting the fan, that Benghazi is almost becoming a joke
I didn't get this from Fox.....I got this from C-Span and watched the actual hearings.Your

Your constant "Fox this, Fox that whatever..." in reply to my posts is getting old.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #548
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
I didn't get this from Fox.....I got this from C-Span and watched the actual hearings.Your

Your constant "Fox this, Fox that whatever..." in reply to my posts is getting old.
Basically mistakes were made, 4 people died. I didn't hear this kind of uproar for the 12 embassies that got attacked under Bush's watch. The amount of time and money wasted on all these hearings is ridiculous. I just seems like we are having these hearings because the Republicans are going on a witchhunt to find one little thing wrong that they can use for political gain and can care less about the actual Embassy or people involved(it should be pointed out many people running these committees voted down security spending that would have protected embassies like Benghazi because I assume they felt it was a waste of money(or maybe because Obama wanted it who knows). Maybe they should put themselves on trial to see if they are part at fault for what happened). If they want to have hearings, have ones that are trying to prevent what happened, not ones that are nothing more then trying to find any little scrap of info they can use in a political campaign.

As for Fox News I point them out because every 2 weeks they update us with the "most important Benghazi news EVER!!!!!!! that can "potentially" take down Obama" and you know what, it's WORSE THEN WATERGATE!(........if it's true)

The only reason we having so many of these hearings that basically told us we screwed up is because in the right wing world Benghazi is some holy grail that they think somehow will gain them power

Last edited by SV Fan; 05-09-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #549
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

As I watched the hearings, didn't really see that...I saw people that were a part of it, and wanted answers as to why they were not allowed to go and help, who gave that order, and why was it given.....seems pretty fair questions.

IMO, yeah it probably is going to be a waste of time and money, because I have a feeling that Leon Panetta will fall on the sword, take the blame so that this doesn't impair Hillary from running.

I think probably the bottom line is, people were just not paying attention. Who were those people?

You know to me...its kind of like the whole Rodney King cop thing....there was a huge group of people that were all over this saying that it was a set up, that King was used to set up dirty cops. My answer to that was, so? Doesn't change the fact that they are dirty cops.

Same here....so what if the Republicans maybe see a coup of some sort with this...so what? Doesn't mean that those questions shouldn't be answered. Those 3 men that were questioned wanted answers, and they of all people deserve them....as do the families of those killed, and they should be able to get those answers without worrying about whether or not they are going to be re-assigned to Kuala lumpur for the rest of their career....

Someone just needs to answer the ****ing question? Who told them to stand down 2x.... who? Why is that so hard....someone had to have given that directive, who was it? Because they ****ed up royally and should not be in their position anymore....and if they aren't because they have resigned...SO? They should still take responsibility....

And BTW, those other embassy attacks that you speak of? When you look at the study where that number is from, and look at the individual attacks... MANY, of them were IN IRAQ, during the Iraq War, and NONE of them were to the extent that Benghazi was...they were not on September 11, they had not been asked many times for more security days before because they knew there was a possibility that there would be problems on Sept. 11th.

Last edited by Kelly; 05-09-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #550
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Acts of Terrorism

According to the AP, the man who killed a UK soldier in London last week has been released from the hospital and placed in custody.