The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-18-2010, 04:00 AM   #26
MAN O STEEL
HC is my superman

Default Re: Superman with a twist ?

I've always liked that twist & it was one of the reasons why I was initially thrilled about SR, because that was, for the most part what we were gonna get. a world accepting him by having him earn it, but initially rejecting him for leaving. Sadly they decided to just have him walk all golly gosh jeepers back into everyone's lives. The idea that Superman isn't initially trusted is logical in terms of how Nolan would do a Superhero movie. I look forward to more details regarding the plot.

Steve

Old 07-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #27
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I like the idea that not all the public is very accepting of him. Its like in Birthright (which I think should have been adapted instead of SR's (which I did like before people get all ar$ey)) when not all the public trusts him and then his trust is really put to the test with the fake Kryptonian invasion. I reckon the twist will be something along these lines.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 AM   #28
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I'd like to see them take it a bit further by actually having alot of the public downright fear him and this could even be further provoked by Luthor in a smaller role.

Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:14 AM   #29
MAN O STEEL
HC is my superman

Exactly. The role of Luthor as a guy so smart, that he's tricked Metropolis into loving him soo much through charity work & building half of what Metropolis is that when Superman comes along, or any threat for that matter, he has the backing of the greatest city behind him. It's smart & is something that Superman can't get through even with all his powers. That is why Luthor is an unmatched rival.

Steve

Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 AM   #30
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

What about the twist being that they're afraid of Superman because he's an alien?

Last edited by Willi Berg; 07-18-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #31
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I'd like to see them take it a bit further by actually having alot of the public downright fear him and this could even be further provoked by Luthor in a smaller role.
i agree. this combined with Luthor would make a huge superman movie.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #32
GreenKToo
In the fire

I'd like to see it open with this superman having been around for 5 years or so. As for Lex, Metropolis absolutely loves him, we see the Lex-Corp brand on just about everything bought and sold. This Lex is not only a corporate tycoon, but he is also a scientific genius. We even see some posters proclaiming ''Luthor for US senate''.

Clark knows the real Lex of course, and he, along with Lois, spend the first act trying to get the dirt on Lex to bring him down legally BEFORE he can run for office. Just when they get the evidence they need, an emergency broadcast is issued. Clark hears it and looks up.

Thats when Brainiac arrives in his ship and starts trying to assimilate the Earth.

Huge fights in space and on the surface between he and Superman follow.
Brainiac is almost too much for Superman, he doesn't wear down and Superman is starting to tire.
Lex at first pulls for Brainiac, but he now understands if Superman falls, so does the earth and he's chances to eventually rule it. So Lex is forced to help supes or watch his own planet be destroyed.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 07-18-2010 at 08:56 AM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #33
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I'd like to see it open with this superman having been around for 5 years or so. As for Lex, Metropolis absolutely loves him, we see the Lex-Corp brand on just about everything bought and sold. This Lex is not only a corporate tycoon, but he is also a scientific genius. We even see some posters proclaiming ''Luthor for US senate''.

Clark knows the real Lex of course, and he, along with Lois, spend the first act trying to get the dirt on Lex to bring him down legally BEFORE he can run for office. Just when they get the evidence they need, an emergency broadcast is issued. Clark hears it and looks up.

Thats when Brainiac arrives in his ship and starts trying to assimilate the Earth.

Brainiac is almost too much for Superman, he doesn't wear down and Superman is starting to tire.
Lex at first pulls for Brainiac, but he now understands if Superman falls, so does the earth and he's chances to eventually rule it. So Lex is forced to help supes or watch his own planet be destroyed.
That sounds pretty good. Clark and Lois working together sounds great, we have never really seen that done well in a live action movie. I mean, yeah, they went to Niagara Falls, but it would be great to see them investigating Lex in the city. Seeing LexCorp in all its glory would be great. Metropolis too.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #34
\S/
The Real Steel Deal

^^^I agree that this is most likely the direction the "twist" is referring to. Given the mention last year by someone at the WB that this new film would be closer to The Dark Knight and with Nolan's involvement, I have a feeling that while Superman himself won't be dark, the "twist" will be that he's seen as a vigilante at best and a super-powered conquering force at worst, an idea I could see Luthor wanting to perpetuate.

This has been a take seen most recently in Superman: Secret Origin. Luthor owns all of the papers in Metropolis, but the only one that doesn't run a "Superman is a menace!" headline is, of course, the Daily Planet.

Toss in Brainiac as Luthor's "partner" to destroy Superman and you've got a winner.

So instead of the Donnerverse treatment of Superman's debut, which sees everyone trust and believe in a man who can fly, you've got a more realistic take, which sees what would most likely happen: fear, mistrust, paranoia over a possible alien invasion, people wanting to kill Superman outright, the military wanting to apprehend him, and some even thinking the existence of Superman could mean the end of the world.

Hmm...if this is the route this movie's going, I think it's going to be very different and very cool if done properly.

Now we just need a great Superman!

\S/

\S/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #35
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
This has been a take seen most recently in Superman: Secret Origin. Luthor owns all of the papers in Metropolis, but the only one that doesn't run a "Superman is a menace!" headline is, of course, the Daily Planet.
Right, Secret Origin is doing that now too. I wonder whether we will see it in the movie like that- as the last sort of independent, edgier newspaper, that dares to not jump on the Lex bandwagon.

Also, there were those rumours that The Daily Planet is struggling because of the internet, I wonder if that's true as well.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #36
That-Guy
Banned User

I wonder if the twist (or a twist) could be an update to the Superman's lame "put on glasses and no one recognizes me" disguise. If there's one thing that makes Superman come off silly, IMO, it's that. Perhaps Superman in this version would either have a power (or some type of Kryptonian device) that would drastically alter his appearance. I wouldn't want two different actors playing the role of Superman and Clark, but perhaps they could make the actor look like a totally different person when he's one character or another. Just a thought.

That-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #37
\S/
The Real Steel Deal

^^^No offense, but the "put on glasses and no one recongizes me disguise" as you call it is an essential element of the Superman mythos. It won't be avoided or done away with, nor is it "lame."

There's more to it than just the glasses. The size of the glasses and the prescription lenses change Clark's face, he slumps, wears baggy clothes, and does everything in his power to not be noticed. Clark studied acting techniques and does more than just put on the glasses and a suit.

Chris Reeve was probably the only actor to master this, a fact that's evident in Lois' apartment right after they've flown for the first time. And very few artists can get this portrayal right, either.

Making him look like a different person entirely would be, IMO, ridiculous.

\S/

\S/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #38
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/ View Post
^^^No offense, but the "put on glasses and no one recongizes me disguise" as you call it is an essential element of the Superman mythos. It won't be avoided or done away with, nor is it "lame."

There's more to it than just the glasses. The size of the glasses and the prescription lenses change Clark's face, he slumps, wears baggy clothes, and does everything in his power to not be noticed. Clark studied acting techniques and does more than just put on the glasses and a suit.

Chris Reeve was probably the only actor to master this, a fact that's evident in Lois' apartment right after they've flown for the first time. And very few artists can get this portrayal right, either.

Making him look like a different person entirely would be, IMO, ridiculous.

\S/
I still personally think that it would be kind of cool to give him the ability to change his eye color. After all he is alien. Yes, I realize that it's not part of the mythos, and yet it wouldn't be too drastic of a change. I'm sure that I will get flamed for it, but it's just an idea is all. You could have a scene where he goes back to being CK and there is a quick close-up of his eyes, and they change from blue to brown or something like that.

Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #39
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I was thinking more of a subtle "jedi mind-trick" so to speak like in Superman II after he and Lois kiss in the end.

Of course, that's alotta people to snag, but you get the picture...

Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #40
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RouthIsSuperman View Post
I still personally think that it would be kind of cool to give him the ability to change his eye color. After all he is alien. Yes, I realize that it's not part of the mythos, and yet it wouldn't be too drastic of a change. I'm sure that I will get flamed for it, but it's just an idea is all. You could have a scene where he goes back to being CK and there is a quick close-up of his eyes, and they change from blue to brown or something like that.
Contacts. with his superspeed it wouldn't take but a nano second for him to remove or place them..he could still keep the glasses, it would just add to the disguise.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #41
That-Guy
Banned User

Yeah, but what if Lex figures out Superman's dual identity? He could just switch Superman's contacts with those Lady Gaga contacts and next thing you know, Supes will go blind.

That-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #42
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Contacts. with his superspeed it wouldn't take but a nano second for him to remove or place them..he could still keep the glasses, it would just add to the disguise.
True, but I just think that it would rather neat to see him change his eye color without contacts. Contacts are just so......human, and he clearly isn't human.

Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #43
GreenKToo
In the fire

That would be great as well if they wanted to add that in..either way, i'd be fine with it.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #44
That person
Bull Moose

Quote:

That would be fantastic. The only revision I might make would be to make Luthor running for mayor of Metropolis, giving him more involvement in future films.

That person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #45
That person
Bull Moose

Oops, DP.

That person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #46
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I actually read in an old justice league novel, that when Clark suits up for superman his muscles tense up and he actually grows a few inches taller, but as Clark his muscle tone and stature is more relaxed. I think that works well for creating a definite difference between the two.

Gamma Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #47
TheLongestDay
"FOR ASGARD!!!"

how about a fake nose and moustache?.....

Old 07-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #48
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
I actually read in an old justice league novel, that when Clark suits up for superman his muscles tense up and he actually grows a few inches taller, but as Clark his muscle tone and stature is more relaxed. I think that works well for creating a definite difference between the two.
He holds his posture differently, his suits are a size or a size and a half too big so they look a bit loose, hiding his body, and he speaks in a higher tone as Clark.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #49
GreenKToo
In the fire

I may be wrong, but I look for Nolan to explain alot of things visually, like how Superman's cape and boots are able to be worn under the business suit..It just seems like something nolan would do.
We'll probably be like ''oh yeaaah, that makes sense'' once we see it.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #50
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
He holds his posture differently, his suits are a size or a size and a half too big so they look a bit loose, hiding his body, and he speaks in a higher tone as Clark.
I know that. But what I read was that Clark was actually able to change his physical stature and appearance not just by slouching and wearing clothes that were too big, but by relaxing and tightening his muscles.

It also explained how he has an aura around him that protects him at all times, even against bacteria.

Gamma Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote