The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #201
Eros
Side-Kick

Default Re: Faverau and RDJ not happy with IM2 (Report)

Just get better villians for the next movie, Hammer was a joke, and nobody took the guy serous, and Vanko was merely a smart thug.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #202
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
Just get better villians for the next movie, Hammer was a joke, and nobody took the guy serous, and Vanko was merely a smart thug.
We need in The Mandarin IM3.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #203
BubbaSparx
Newbie First Class

Figures, Iron Man 2 wasn't very good. There is some solid follow up stuff to the outstanding original in the first 30 - 45 min, but then the film just falls flat on his face once we have the ridiculous fight between Rhodey and Tony.

BubbaSparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #204
RisanF
Side-Kick

I'm surprised the guys in charge have so many bad feelings about IM2. I thought it was pretty good. I mean, it wasn't as great as IM1, but it was still better than 90% of the other movies out there.

RisanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #205
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisanF View Post
I'm surprised the guys in charge have so many bad feelings about IM2. I thought it was pretty good. I mean, it wasn't as great as IM1, but it was still better than 90% of the other movies out there.
They didn't, this report came from **************.com, who basically have a reputation of making things up and reporting them as true.

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:52 AM   #206
Timstuff
Banned User

Tony's birthday scene was no better than Peter Parker dancing around like a fool in Spider-Man 3. They had an opportunity to actually do the demon in a bottle storyline and show Tony wrestling with alcoholism, but instead they just showed him getting drunk and having a good time while being careless in the suit, like how they could have shown the symbiot in Spider-Man 3 affecting Peter Parker like he was addicted to crack, but instead it turned him into Buddy Love from The Nutty Professor.

The second half of the movie just plain fell flat. Not enough action, too much Avengers setup, not enough emotion... It just plain felt empty. The movie was enjoyable overall but it just felt like more of the same, without the stuff that we really loved from the first one. Namely, the redemptive aspect of the story with Tony, which they could have done brilliantly if they had actually shown him drowning his sorrows in alcohol and made his sickness from the ARC affect him in ways that we could tangibly see other than the "crossword puzzle" on his chest (not to mention that when Nick Fury shows up, the threat disappears thanks to the magical shot to "tide him over").

Marvel mucked things up, and unfortunately it was only the first muck up in a long string of muckups that I'm worried we haven't seen the end of.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #207
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

That's why I keep harping on that they should never have had the War Machine subplot. Instead of Rhodey stealing the suit and getting into a playfight, Whiplash should've crashed the party, kicked drunk Tony's ass and put some people in the hospital. That way Tony would've learned something the next day like how him telling the world he was Iron Man at the end of the first had serious consequences and him needing to be more responsible with himself and the suit. Like I posted before instead of getting the feeling of dread and danger for Tony and the guests, we got a "lmao" moment.

As far as the action, Favreau doesn't know action, he isn't the poor innocent director people make him out to be, he made this to be one or two jokes away from becoming an action-comedy, with a serious lack of action. I seriously doubt Marvel is telling Branagh and Johnston to cut back on the action and make those movies full of jokes and stupid dancing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not basing this movie and still my favorite of last year, but hopefully the next director we get knows some action.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #208
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Well, we need someone who can combine drama and action, the likes of Spiderman 2 and X2 have a good combination of both, and they are still considered THE 2 best Marvel movies, I still cant believe what we got at the end of IM2 action-wise compared to these 2 movies, it really doesnt compare.

Its a mystery, as the action scene's from IM1 were only one or two steps away from being really good, so I thought Favreau would step up to the plate action wise in IM2.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #209
J.Howlett

I don't know. The internal logic of action sequence in Monaco doesn't really make much sense. I mean, when Vanko lets loose, where's the copes and security to just put a bullet in his head? But not even that, when Happy hits him with the car, his lower body should've been crushed. And I don't want to hear excuses that he was wearing a suit...because that doesn't fly.

But, the action climax of the film is really, really well staged. The visual effects are as close to flawless as you can get. The editing is great. I guess the only thing you can question is the threat. It feels slightly hallow.

The action's better in Iron Man 2 but the problem comes from the internal logic of the film.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #210
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
Tony's birthday scene was no better than Peter Parker dancing around like a fool in Spider-Man 3. They had an opportunity to actually do the demon in a bottle storyline and show Tony wrestling with alcoholism, but instead they just showed him getting drunk and having a good time while being careless in the suit, like how they could have shown the symbiot in Spider-Man 3 affecting Peter Parker like he was addicted to crack, but instead it turned him into Buddy Love from The Nutty Professor.

The second half of the movie just plain fell flat. Not enough action, too much Avengers setup, not enough emotion... It just plain felt empty. The movie was enjoyable overall but it just felt like more of the same, without the stuff that we really loved from the first one. Namely, the redemptive aspect of the story with Tony, which they could have done brilliantly if they had actually shown him drowning his sorrows in alcohol and made his sickness from the ARC affect him in ways that we could tangibly see other than the "crossword puzzle" on his chest (not to mention that when Nick Fury shows up, the threat disappears thanks to the magical shot to "tide him over").

Marvel mucked things up, and unfortunately it was only the first muck up in a long string of muckups that I'm worried we haven't seen the end of.
Yeah I was disappointed that Faverau didnt want to do Demon in a Bottle. And he didnt even need to make it as serious. Fav couldve had Tony drinking vodka instead of that Chlorophyll stuff or something of that sort. It was a real missed opportunity.

and I agree with the rest of your points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
That's why I keep harping on that they should never have had the War Machine subplot. Instead of Rhodey stealing the suit and getting into a playfight, Whiplash should've crashed the party, kicked drunk Tony's ass and put some people in the hospital. That way Tony would've learned something the next day like how him telling the world he was Iron Man at the end of the first had serious consequences and him needing to be more responsible with himself and the suit. Like I posted before instead of getting the feeling of dread and danger for Tony and the guests, we got a "lmao" moment.

As far as the action, Favreau doesn't know action, he isn't the poor innocent director people make him out to be, he made this to be one or two jokes away from becoming an action-comedy, with a serious lack of action. I seriously doubt Marvel is telling Branagh and Johnston to cut back on the action and make those movies full of jokes and stupid dancing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not basing this movie and still my favorite of last year, but hopefully the next director we get knows some action.
In terms of the whole birthday party scene. Your idea of having Whiplash coming in a messing things up is good. Since I liked the things with Rhodey and Stark I wouldve kept in the fight, but had it without the suits.
So basically the "fight" would be in a drunken stupor Stark tries to fight Rhodey and gets floored in no time leading to Rhodey taking the armor as well as showing how their relationship crumbled

I think Faverau can direct action great. The action scenes are really good imo. But the problem is that theyre arent enough of them or theyre spread out too much

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #211
Timstuff
Banned User

The action that was in the movie was great. The problem was the at it was not well distributed. The drunk fight with Rhodey didn't have any sense of danger to it because we knew they weren't going to seriously hurt each other, let alone kill each other, and it was too funny to serve well as a middle-of-the-movie action scene. It just didn't set the stakes very high nor did it really do anything for the story.

I LOVE the idea of Whiplash crashing the party though. It really would say something about Tony's drunkeness interfering with his ability to be Iron Man, as well as him having a public identity coming with consequences.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #212
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
I don't know. The internal logic of action sequence in Monaco doesn't really make much sense. I mean, when Vanko lets loose, where's the copes and security to just put a bullet in his head? But not even that, when Happy hits him with the car, his lower body should've been crushed. And I don't want to hear excuses that he was wearing a suit...because that doesn't fly.

But, the action climax of the film is really, really well staged. The visual effects are as close to flawless as you can get. The editing is great. I guess the only thing you can question is the threat. It feels slightly hallow.
The action's better in Iron Man 2 but the problem comes from the internal logic of the film.
Well thats what the problem is, all ingredients are there for a great final action sequence, they had a $200 million budget to play with, but the drones last about 3 mins if you take out all the flying stuff (which IMO wasnt exciting at all), and then Vanko arrives and lasts 30 seconds, sorry but that just doesnt cut it for an action sequence in a blockbuster these days.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #213
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
The 'I want my bird' line made Vanko come off as real goofy. Obidiah Stane was a better villain than Vanko and Hammer combined.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #214
Rez
Side-Kick

Odd, see I liked the villians the best in IM2.. I thought they were by far the saving grace of the movie, and kept it moving when there wasn't an action scene.

Sam Rockwell was brilliant, a disgusting little **** that no one respects at all.. constantly looking up to Stark, holding him as a role model.. it's not even something as simple as jealosy in this performance. He's a snake oil salesman, but a terrible one. I especially love his gun display scene.. it's the perfect display of the character: he tries so hard to be cool.. he just isn't.

And Rourke was even more brilliant.. to simply call him a thug is a disservice to his performance. He injects so much into a role that is admittedly far more simple on the page (if there even was a page, that "script" is yeesh). He's a harsh, driven, intelligent bad guy who has his sights set on one thing: Stark. He's the only villian of the franchise thus far that actually felt threatening to me. The others are all varying degrees of bumbling overconfident morons.

A-Hunter Rider-V

Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #215
Timstuff
Banned User

Sam Rockwell's role was brilliant, but he never felt as "evil" as Obidiah. He was a two-faced slime, sure, but we never got the sense that he was ruthless. He was a spineless twerp who ultimately wanted control but didn't have the balls to make his plans work. Obidiah had people executed without thinking twice, and then would go home and be all smiles. Not only did he stab Tony in the back, but he punched him in the face, too. He ripped out the ARC from Tony's chest and then grinned slyly as he watched Tony dying, making Tony, and the audience by extension, feel helpless. That's the kind of villain who the audience sees and says "I want that guy to lose."

Old 02-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #216
The Cocreator
Side-Kick

Seeing in that perspective Obadiah was really a good villain, but i liked the ones here too, but Iron Man 2 is like a child that is playing catch, he isn't caught but while he laughs for not being caught he crashes into a STOP sign.
Iron Man 2 had too many characters but was able to give enough to all of them and Tony stayed the main character, however trying to give enough to every character they wasted potential on the main character.

The Cocreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #217
StarLord
Tech Noir.

I really didn't mind Vanko in IM2 but it just felt like everything was rushed.

Rockwell was really good though and I wished they would have kept him around for IM3.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #218
NinjaCarm
Fantastic

I thouroghly enjoyed Iron Man 2, I hold it in high regard as comic book films go. I liked it better than part 1.

I don't understand why people didn't enjoy as much as part 1. And Faverou and Downey didn't like it?

WTF

NinjaCarm is offline   Reply With Quote