The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #401
Darth Rockwell
Avengers Assemble

Default Re: Green Lantern 2

The movie is no where near as bad as people make it out to be. I think a lot of the hate for this movie is simply because it is cool to hate it. After going back and rereading Geoff Johns run on GL it is clear to see that Reynolds pulled a lot of his character from Johns take.

I will admit the CG was a little off putting but no where near as bad as it is made to sound. The aliens looked great. Kilowog and Tomar-Re, while slightly different, looked like their characters and were believable. I think the problem lies in it was trying to have two plots at the same time. He should have either stayed on Earth or dealt with becoming a GL on Oa.

There was enough established that they should just pick up and keep going. Don't go backwards and allow the character to disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
People act like he (George Lucas) caused the next holocaust. They're just movies.
Darth Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #402
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

Unfortunately, I really don't see a GL2 in the near future. Along with the fact that there's a complete silence of a GL2 from WB, I think we know the answer to the Space Cop's future.

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #403
Nathan

I think if we ever get a GL2, it'll be after Justice League.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #404
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Rockwell View Post
The movie is no where near as bad as people make it out to be. I think a lot of the hate for this movie is simply because it is cool to hate it.

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #405
UmbilicalNoose
Banned User

Totally agree with that smiley ^ Green Lantern isnt hated because its cool to hate it. Its hated because it was one of the years most anticipated films, and the first live action movie based on the character, and it happened to be a horrible film with a majorly flawed script, terrible earth scenes, bad acting on Earth, bad pacing, the worst comic book villains Ive seen on film, and a retarded backstory that no one cared about involving Carol Hal and Hector knowing each other when they were kids. Then there were the completely useless scenes with Hals family. Hammond looked hilariously dumb (i laughed mutltiple times in the theater) Parallax was funny too, when he was flying through space. Amanda Wallers character was useless and so was Senator Hammonds. A lot of useless things were shown in that film.

UmbilicalNoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #406
Nathan

I actually liked the scenes with the family. That was one of the few parts that I felt was actually properly acted. The rest of the Movie reeked of TV production.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #407
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

Quote:
The movie is no where near as bad as people make it out to be. I think a lot of the hate for this movie is simply because it is cool to hate it. After going back and rereading Geoff Johns run on GL it is clear to see that Reynolds pulled a lot of his character from Johns take.

I will admit the CG was a little off putting but no where near as bad as it is made to sound. The aliens looked great. Kilowog and Tomar-Re, while slightly different, looked like their characters and were believable. I think the problem lies in it was trying to have two plots at the same time. He should have either stayed on Earth or dealt with becoming a GL on Oa.

There was enough established that they should just pick up and keep going. Don't go backwards and allow the character to disappear.
It is...it really is. this film was a massively successful experiment in mediocrity.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #408
HighFivingMF
Welp.

It was a groovy experiment in awesome.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #409
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Whether you liked the movie or not, GL2 aint happening. After JL (assuming it gets made) maybe they'll consider a reboot based around whatever actor they choose for the ensemble film. That's your best bet for a future GL movie.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #410
Jordacar
The Endless One

I could go for a Brave & the Bold reboot, or whatever they want to call it; a Flash and GL team-up movie. Introduce Flash on screen and give GL a soft reboot, all in one shot. Flash doesn't really need an origin movie anyway.

This is mostly assuming JL doesn't come together of course.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #411
Darkness Falls
Do Try To Keep Up.....

i liked green lantern, but it does have some flaws, the main cast is ok but underused especially with the talent involved

hector's character started off good and you feel sorry for him, but then that goes completely downhill from the time he has his first encounter with hal til his death scene, the screaming gets old really fast

same with Parallax, the scene where he's trying to break hal while he's saying the oath was badass though

the two villians didn't really mesh well, parallax really should've been saved for another film, the sinestro turn aswell, adding it in the end credits was pure fan service and it wasn't as epic as it could be

overall it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be but it had the potential to be something special and it failed to deliver

Better Call Saul
Darkness Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #412
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
It was a groovy experiment in awesome.
No, the original Italian Job, starring Michael Caine, was a groovy experiment in awesome. Funtime musical score by Quincy Jones himself! Can you dig it?

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #413
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness Falls View Post
i liked green lantern, but it does have some flaws, the main cast is ok but underused especially with the talent involved

hector's character started off good and you feel sorry for him, but then that goes completely downhill from the time he has his first encounter with hal til his death scene, the screaming gets old really fast

same with Parallax, the scene where he's trying to break hal while he's saying the oath was badass though

the two villians didn't really mesh well, parallax really should've been saved for another film, the sinestro turn aswell, adding it in the end credits was pure fan service and it wasn't as epic as it could be

overall it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be but it had the potential to be something special and it failed to deliver
I was really disappointed by how they portrayed Parallax's powers in this, they keep saying that his power lies in the fear of his victims, I wish that instead of just showing him shooting yellow light into peoples faces they'd have actually showed you what was happening in their minds, like in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix when Voldemort tries taking over Harry's mind in the end, a psychological struggle between Parallax and Hal as you see Parallax try to find what Hal is afraid of and use it against him, but no, that would actually give us a creative way of showing insight into Hals character and giving a more creative final battle other than green fist in the face. lord knows they couldn't have that. It would have shown Hal's triumph over Parallax on multiple levels, showing WHY he makes such a good green lantern, that his will was more powerful than fear.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
H.E
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #414
Raoul Duke
Banned User

yes, they should have gone the lovecraft route with parralax. show the planet falling into fear driven chaos as the creature gets closer to earth.

this film had so much potential, but went so, so wrong. i honestly don't understand. it's like they left a lot of stuff out that should have been in there, presumably because of budget constraints. even though it had a 250 million dollar budget. it's just bizarre. you look at this film, and avengers, which had a smaller budget, and it's just completely baffling as to where all the money went.

Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #415
Darkness Falls
Do Try To Keep Up.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
I was really disappointed by how they portrayed Parallax's powers in this, they keep saying that his power lies in the fear of his victims, I wish that instead of just showing him shooting yellow light into peoples faces they'd have actually showed you what was happening in their minds, like in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix when Voldemort tries taking over Harry's mind in the end, a psychological struggle between Parallax and Hal as you see Parallax try to find what Hal is afraid of and use it against him, but no, that would actually give us a creative way of showing insight into Hals character and giving a more creative final battle other than green fist in the face. lord knows they couldn't have that. It would have shown Hal's triumph over Parallax on multiple levels, showing WHY he makes such a good green lantern, that his will was more powerful than fear.
agreed, that would've been alot better

Better Call Saul
Darkness Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #416
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

I for one would love to see a sequel to GL. It wasn't great, but I'm honestly so tired of seeing characters constantly rebooted. Why not just come back with a better movie? There was no permanent damage done like having a kid or killing off a key character.

The only way that I'd really be okay with a reboot is if the movie was in direct conflict with Man of Steel in a DCU. We know aliens exist from the GL movie, so if the first alien encounter in Man of Steel is with a Kryptonian, then I can live with a changing of the guard for that purpose.

DChero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #417
metaphysician
Side-Kick

You know, this is something that I've only realized is bothering me:

Why the hate for reboots of failed movies? I can understand not liking when they reboot a good series, or a good series that just had a bad film or two. But when a particular potential franchise has yet to be good, why *not* reboot it? There is no benefit to tying yourself to something that already failed.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #418
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Making GL2 is a lot better idea than rushing in to make a JL movie when they have yet to reboot Batman.

Set GL2 in space, use combination of sets and green screen, use actual suits and then add CGI effects to them, it can be done for 150 mil. budget.

Get a director who understands how to make a movie that has a lot of green screen CGI effects, and get better writers, and a better special effects company.

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 12-21-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #419
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:

No, it's as bad people make it out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #420
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Making GL2 is a lot better idea than rushing in to make a JL movie when they have yet to reboot Batman.

Set GL2 in space, use combination of sets and green screen, use actual suits and then add CGI effects to them, it can be done for 150 mil. budget.

Get a director who understands how to make a movie that has a lot of green screen CGI effects, and get better writers, and a better special effects company.
This. The sequel has already been setup through the first one. We can pretty safely assume that Sinestro is the villain. The Sinestro Corps would definitely be an epic action movie.

I really think that this series can be redeemed.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #421
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
No, it's as bad people make it out to be.
Nope.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #422
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

I liked Green Lantern. It had it's ups and downs, but I really think of it as a decent flick. It had some issues, but it never ruined the experience for me.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #423
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

green lantern is one of the few movies that actually pisses me off lol. so much wasted potential, wasted cast (exception being Blake Lively, she probably would have been bad no matter what), director with a good track record (though I'm guesing his creative spectrum was leaning closer to Vertical Limit on this one) and $250 mil. budget (I still want to know where the f*** that money went, because it obviously didn't go to the cg), this movie could have been so good, but missed just about every mark it set for itself.

H.E
Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #424
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
green lantern is one of the few movies that actually pisses me off lol. so much wasted potential, wasted cast (exception being Blake Lively, she probably would have been bad no matter what), director with a good track record (though I'm guesing his creative spectrum was leaning closer to Vertical Limit on this one) and $250 mil. budget (I still want to know where the f*** that money went, because it obviously didn't go to the cg), this movie could have been so good, but missed just about every mark it set for itself.
I think that may be our disconnect. GL is my second favorite DC character, but I didn't have high expectations going in. I think you had higher expectations which it just didn't live up to.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #425
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

I had zero expectations lol, I had never even read a green lantern comic before I saw that movie, so, from a purely cinematic perspective, the film failed imo.

H.E