The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #51
aragen
Side-Kick

Default Re: Green Lantern 2

Here's my idea:

The main baddie would be Atrocitus and perhaps the secondary villain would be Star Sapphire.

He's searching for a power to fight the guardians for what happened to the lost sector (Parallax destroying it and the Guardians for covering it up).

He comes across Sinestro. The two fight but Atrocitus gets away but not before telling Sinestro about the future (Korugar erupting in violence).

He comes to Earth looking for the power and of course he fights Hal. Hal tries to go after him but Carol becomes Star Saphhire and begins reek havoc on Hal's life.

Meanwhile, Sinestro becomes paranoid about Atrocitus's prophecy and starts to see crime erupt, believing willpower isn't working, he begins to use the yellow ring (Which he kept).

Atrocitus finds the red light of rage and becomes a Red Lantern. He easily wipes the floor with Hal. Hal meanwhile frees Carol of the Star Sapphire and perhaps in a nod to the Predator, it attacks him in a similar form before he destroys it. Hal then chases after Atrocitus.

Atrocitus, wanting to stick it to the Guardians, goes after their greatest warrior, Sinestro. He goes to Korugar and fights Sinestro, who's fallen deeper into the Yellow Ring's influence. Hal shows up and helps him but Atrocitus's begins to grow. Hal calls for back up, inadvertently exposes Sinestro's use of the yellow ring. Eventually Hal tries to reason with Atrocitus and finds about his family getting killed by Parallax. Atrocitus's rage calms and just as the Corps begins to arrest him, Sinestro kills him. Hal gets into a big argument but then they are teleported to the Guardian's chambers where they banish Sinestro to the antimatter universe.

Hal and the other Lanterns got back to their respective Sector thinking it's over but meanwhile Sinestro finds a weapon fabricator in the anti matter universe and asks him to duplicate the yellow ring.

It's an idea.

aragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #52
Deadpool7
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
^ Wrong thread for that talk. There's a few in the GL Spoilers section, direct your complaints there.

Anyway, I'd keep mid credits scene as canon. I only saw it as Sinestro being curious about the Yellow Power since he nearly had it before.
Considering there may not be a Green Lantern 2, I'm not sure I agree with you...but, I shall obey The Sage.

Deadpool7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #53
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

My point is, there's plenty of complaining in the threads elsewhere, no need to carry it over here.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #54
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From THR:
Warner Bros. to Pursue 'Green Lantern' Sequel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela McClintock
Warner Bros. is already planning a sequel to Ryan Reynolds' superhero pic Green Lantern, despite the film’s soft performance at the box office.

Sources say Warners still believes in the franchise, even if the studio is “somewhat disappointed” with Green Lantern’s result.

Over the weekend, Green Lantern fell a steep 66% at the domestic box office, grossing $18.4 million for a cume of $89.3 million. That’s a big decline.

Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said the movie is settling in, pointing out that fanboy pics often see a significant drop-off in their second weekends.

Still, Green Lantern fell off more than recent superhero pics Thor and X-Men: First Class. Thor dropped 47% in its second weekend, while First Class dropped 56%.

Similar films that have seen the same sort of dip that Green Lantern did include Hulk, which dropped nearly 70% in its second outing.

Green Lantern cost $200 million to produce before a sizeable marketing spend (rival studios say it was one of the most expensive on record). Warners, preparing for the end of Harry Potter, needs new franchises, so was willing to invest big in Green Lantern.

A formidable obstacle standing in Green Lantern’s way now is Paramount’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which opens in theaters around the globe on Tuesday night.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #55
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I still say that's spin just to try save face after a miserable attempt to create a new flagship movie series.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #56
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

if that article is indeed true then i am happy that WB will not give up on GL

they've all heard the critics and fans and i'm sure they will deliver a better film. though i did like GL, you can tell there were parts that felt rushed and the script itself had some misses

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #57
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...pid-box-206002

Quote:
That’s the question Warner Bros. faces in the wake of the less-than-stellar worldwide roll-out of the superhero tentpole. The studio appears to be grappling with the challenging decision. While a top studio source told THR on Sunday that Warners was proceeding with plans for a follow-up film, a studio spokesman said Monday that no decision has been reached.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 06-28-2011 at 10:11 AM.
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #58
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From Bad Ass Digest:
Why Warner Bros Is Saying They’re Making A GREEN LANTERN Sequel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Faraci
I think Green Lantern will end up being a bona fide bomb. It has a 200 million dollar production budget and a 100 million dollar advertising budget. It’s at an anemic 89 million domestic, with a second week plummet of 65%, high even by the usual high standards of blockbuster second week drops. It’s sputtering around overseas. It may crawl towards 180 global, but that’s still well below the budget. And on top of that all, it seems like people don’t particularly like the movie.

And yet Warner Bros is going ahead with a sequel, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Why?

There are a couple of reasons, some of which are real and some of which are posturing. The studio doesn’t want to admit defeat on the movie, because that will hurt the film in future weeks and on home video. By claiming they have a sequel coming down the pike it looks like confidence on the studio’s front, and this could interest ticket buyers. “There’s going to be a second one? Maybe I should see it!”

Also, Warner Bros doesn’t want their DC superheroes brand to look weak compared to Marvel. Yes, it’s good old Marvel vs DC again. DC has a whole bunch of possible franchises lurking, and they don’t want the superheroes to carry the stink of death. Part of what made Thor work was that people liked Iron Man and they see the Marvel movies as one franchise.

The real world reason can be summed up as such: Harry Potter. The studio’s cash cow ends in a couple of weeks, and they need something to replace it. Christopher Nolan is being a bit *****y to them and making sure that his Batman franchise won’t be that moneymaker, since he’s looking to end it with The Dark Knight Rises. There’s hope for The Man of Steel, but the Superman franchise has been tricky at best and as of right now nobody is completely confident in the script they have.

Warner Bros has known for months that Green Lantern wasn’t going to work; in the final months the biggest executives at the studio got their fingers into the editing of the film, trying to make something workable from it. What they’re probably doing now is writing the first film off as an investment in the series – they know what people responded to, and this time they can pick a director who will be more comfortable with all the special effects. Oh, and they’ll make the whole damn thing cheaper, too. Expect to see much less Oa and much more Sinestro on Earth.

That is if they even make it. Disney claimed they’re making another Tron movie, but there’s been zero movement on that in reality. I expect that Warner Bros will wait until home video comes in for Green Lantern before they actually pull the trigger. It’s the Batman Begins scenario, where they’re hoping the movie finds an audience at home. But unlike Begins, the studio is making a public show of support up front, before the film bounces out of the top five next weekend.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #59
ryan dube
Go Team Dynamite!

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/06/27/green-lantern-2-2/

ryan dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #60
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

1. 6/26/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe99 View Post

2. 6/27/11 12:28 pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan dube View Post

3. 6/27/11 11:37 pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post

3. = latest news

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #61
Anno_Domini
Banned User

The second one is Hollywood Reporter as well, and they're just updating the whole WB/GL fiasco....I say when the dust clears, Warner Brothers will have more cons on a GL sequel than pros and brush that movie into the crap bin along with Jonah Hex.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #62
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
The second one is Hollywood Reporter as well, and they're just updating the whole WB/GL fiasco....I say when the dust clears, Warner Brothers will have more cons on a GL sequel than pros and brush that movie into the crap bin along with Jonah Hex.
Well...there's a school of thought that says always put on a smiling face when your movie still has yet to open in certain countries, and the DVD hasn't come out yet.

But maybe they do somehow really believe in the potential of GL as a successful franchise down the road. It'd be one heck of a leap of faith if they do.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #63
cronosred
Side-Kick

It's too bad the general audience isn't as forgiving of this film as they are with the Transformer films.

cronosred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #64
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Well...there's a school of thought that says always put on a smiling face when your movie still has yet to open in certain countries, and the DVD hasn't come out yet.
I'd have more faith on DVD/Blu-ray sales than the ticket sales of other countries, imo. Who knows, maybe there is some truth to that "extended cut" rumor and WB may actually be pulling a Daredevil on us with extra footage. That'd be nice.

Quote:
But maybe they do somehow really believe in the potential of GL as a successful franchise down the road. It'd be one heck of a leap of faith if they do.
A HUGE leap of faith. Even moreso than Altair's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronosred View Post
It's too bad the general audience isn't as forgiving of this film as they are with the Transformer films.
And that's saying a lot, lol.

But, when it comes to Michael Bay films, I think the GA understands already that Bay isn't trying to make an emotional film; he's trying to just make huge sound-and-spectacle popcorn flicks for the summer. With Green Lantern, it should, at least, be a GREAT film as usually CBM movies are great and shows certain kinds of emotion instead of just lights and sounds. Now, GL's SFX is perfectly fine, imo, but the characters, or most of them, were very dead, imo. Hal was definitely great and most of the others needed a little help, but Hal's friend(the dude who reminded me of SV's Dr. Hamilton lol), Hector and even Carol just felt like dead character weight.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #65
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
I'd have more faith on DVD/Blu-ray sales than the ticket sales of other countries, imo. Who knows, maybe there is some truth to that "extended cut" rumor and WB may actually be pulling a Daredevil on us with extra footage. That'd be nice.
If they feel like putting even more money into finishing the incomplete effects that kept a lot of that footage out. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

And the DVD/BluRay market ain't what it used to be with Netflix and Redbox, etc.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #66
Anno_Domini
Banned User

They may not have to put in more money for those scenes...there could have been many reasons why they were taken out instead of just not being finished.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #67
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
They may not have to put in more money for those scenes...there could have been many reasons why they were taken out instead of just not being finished.
According to some involved with the film, they were unfinished. So aside from that, yeah you could have a few scenes of, say, Hal getting a cup of coffee, or various other things that have no GL effects. Yay.

And even with that....putting together an 'extended cut' will cost more money if they don't already have that extended version conformed/mastered for release. They'd have to unarchive/reopen/reload another edit session and adjust the existing cut and soundmix to fit the extra scenes in...then redo a color-correct to match it, then remaster. It's not like putting together a 'fan edit' for YouTube. It's a lot less costly/involved to just include the extra stuff as bonus/deleted scenes if they still have it lying around.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #68
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I imagine sequel means "reboot in 8 years" not sequel in 2.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #69
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
I imagine sequel means "reboot in 8 years" not sequel in 2.
Add "if ever" to that.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #70
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

WB is already debunking the earlier sequel reports:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/06/28...tern-2-sequel/

believe me this isn't happening, and the actors are going to find other projects, and the whole thing will be over with.

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #71
Airwings
Waves of air

What the f**k? Why isn't Krona a good villain? He isn't mentioned even once in this thread.

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #72
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Because Parallax was pretty much merged with Krona in GL.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #73
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Sinestro's already been set up. Why spend a whole nother movie setting him up when he's already one bad day away from going yellow ring???? He's the best villain to up the ante, no need for another placeholder villain, especially when Krona and Parallax, his other two greatest villains, have been done, more or less.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #74
Sam Fisher
Heavy Meddle

Because Sinestro wasn't sep up. Him putting on the yellow power ring was forced into the end credits. Hardly character development.

I TRUST IN THE SPIDER-MAN REBOOT
Sam Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #75
The Morningstar
Banned User

Exactly Sam Fisher. It was just fan lip service and sequel bait. There was no set up. Set up would have been showing Sinestro being a bit questionable throughout the movie, not playing him off as the most noble and decent GL out there. Maybe have Hal go to Korugar with Sinestro on a training mission, then see how Sinestro keeps order in his sector.

More of the film should have been in space. **** Earth and Carol and Hal's friend who i can't even remember his name. Show Hal growing as a Lantern. Show Hal and Sinestro's relationship develop from mentor/student, to friends, then finally Hal realises that Sinestro is going too far with his policing of his sector. A real character arc for BOTH Hal and Sinestro.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote