The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Should they have the costumes like in the CB?
yes 44 74.58%
no 15 25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #76
Octoberist
point blank

Default Re: Should they have the costumes like in the CB?

I think they should avoid black and go with a navy blue.

While I don't like X3's uniform for Storm, it was a step in the right direction.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #77
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

i said this in the kick-ass thread and fc one as well. im looking forward to see what vaughn does with the costumes. he kept the kick-ass one's pretty close to the comic. now that he is doing a proper superhero team i am very excited to see what he does with the costumes. i would assume he is going to go full on costumes.

Last edited by misjuevos; 08-13-2010 at 06:06 PM.
misjuevos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #78
Project862006
Banned User

^well kick ass actually orders his costume online so he had a reason to keep it, it was suppose to have a home made look to it

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #79
Squidboy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Exactly. I think Vaughn would also be a terrific director who could do just that. But if there is one reason why I think the costumes will not be much more comic-book is because he's working in a very established world that he did not really create. He should have great freedom but also must abide by a number of rules. It will seem strange to see varied more colorful costumes on the heroes and villains when in the later films they are more muted and grounded.

I also think the costumes for the X-Men should have symmetry to them. The villains can be completely different lol, but the X-Men have got to be matching in some fashion. The costumes in the films may not be my favorite, but it's why they still work fine.
Also, if we're to assume that the costume Beast wore in X3 was his old uniform, then there's the added pressure of trying to appease the continuity freaks who would complain that the team uniforms deviate from what we later see. I'm hoping Vaughn and crew go their own route and at least try to tie things up towards the end. Maybe Jean could whip up some costumes for the team's first battle, and later there's a mention that a more durable material would be needed for the next generation of costumes or something along those lines.

Squidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #80
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

I would like the costumes to be an evolution like the team itself...the 1st uniforms are like for training/field purposes...then in a sequel we get sleeker versions of the same uniforms we saw in part 1 and if there is a part 3 it'll lead up to the leather uniforms in the original trilogy but more on par how they looked in TLS

the costumes would show how the team has changed, come full circle, and if the black ones are used it'll show that eventually it'll lead into Singer's film(s)

? is there several characters who were mask/head piece...will they be included...imo it'll fit the tone of the movie that the X-Men are "hiding" themselves in public and that could be a reason to set Magento off

Phoenix_Flare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #81
Squidboy
Side-Kick

I don't see many characters really wearing masks, for the sole fact that many of the comicbook masks are ridiculous-looking and wouldn't work in the real world. I could see Avalanche's mask working maybe, or Havok and Polaris' small head gear used to accent their powers, but it'd be really difficult to make a character like Sunfire appear like his comic counterpart, while still grounding him in reality.

Squidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #82
Norm3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by succumbtofear View Post
I hate to say it, because I remember being a thrilled kid when I went to see the original x-men films (wow, a lot can happen in ten years xD) and one of my biggest complaints was that they didn't have their costumes. Leather jumpsuits I could understand, but could they have maybe given them fleshed out colors for more than just the thin linings of the suits? I could back then, and I can now, buy Cyclops in a blue jumpsuit. I don't know, I just have more fun with comic movies when they feel more.. comic-like I guess. If anything, I loved movies like Daredevil and Spider-man more because of the suits, it was like the comic come to life for me. Then I had the X-men, trying to look a bit more *realistic in just black jumpsuits. Meh.

I do however agree with what someone else said (I forget who, sorry!!) about wearing their costumes for the right reasons, though. Daredevil and Spidey are trying to hide their identities. I agree, it'd be silly just to see Wolverine lounging around in his mask. but then I say, give him a reason to need a mask, put him somewhere in a film where it should be required to be worn. same thing with the mutants in this film, I always pictured danger room sessions like my karate classes, to be honest. or even like gym class for example, everyone is required to get into the proper clothes to do such activities. I'm not saying I want the mutants in karate gi's, I just think that seeing them suit up for a Danger room session is more believable and acceptable for why they'd have uniforms, if that makes sense...

Didn't mean for this post to be so long!!
I agree but most directors don't. Even Marvel lets the changes happen.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #83
Norm3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I agree with this. Its also pointless when no one else is wearing a mask
A mask can be worn for several reasons. Hide frome News Media, Hide from Villains, Keep private life secret. Avoid The Law when mutants are outlawed. But Hollywood just thinks their goofy.

Last edited by Norm3; 08-14-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Norm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #84
Norm3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidboy View Post
Also, if we're to assume that the costume Beast wore in X3 was his old uniform, then there's the added pressure of trying to appease the continuity freaks who would complain that the team uniforms deviate from what we later see. I'm hoping Vaughn and crew go their own route and at least try to tie things up towards the end. Maybe Jean could whip up some costumes for the team's first battle, and later there's a mention that a more durable material would be needed for the next generation of costumes or something along those lines.
With Singer in the backround I don't think he will allow the costume look. Unless forced into it.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #85
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

mask would make more sense for this movie. the x-men are just kids and have their whole lives ahead of them. some of them may just want to hide the fact they are a mutant or to protect their families back home in their normal towns. they may choose to go off and leave the x-men behind them. so wearing a mask will let them learn their powers and protect their future plans if they choose another life, besides being an x-man. we know beast went into government. so maybe he wore a mask till he mutated further and thought it was pointless to hide anymore. also the students in this movie go on to eventually become teachers and the faces of the school. so if parents know they are sending their kids to a school where they train to become superheroes rather than just learn to control their powers they might become hesitant. i say the mask for the young x-men team is a good idea. xavier could just erase his image from most peoples minds, but i would think jean is still new at it so she would also wear a mask. you have to remember these people don't always spend their time as the x-men but are out shopping in public and activist for mutant rights. staying anonymous seems like a better choice for the young x-men in first class.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #86
conan69
Cimmerian

With Vaughn, I would be suprised at all if these costumes were very faithful to the original designs.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #87
conan69
Cimmerian

Double post.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #88
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful!

Um, no thanks.

The Original Bamfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #89
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

well it seems they are going more comic book costumes than the other films. im happy with that. finally get to see them. no cyclops or jean though. i would have loved to see cyclops and jeans suits.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #90
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

I wonder if they'll be uniform or unique to individuals. You could make an argument for why X-Men are more militaristic by the time X1 comes around if the FC team had more brightly colored suits.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #91
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

I'm willing to bet they will still be more Uniform-style suits and will look like the original team's costumes.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #92
Project862006
Banned User

when we get to cyclops probably in sequel he should look like this imo

because be honest this aint gonna fly lol

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #93
samsnee
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I never understood the yellow straps around the legs in that second pic.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #94
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

It was the 90's dude.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #95
ALP
In The Mountains

Singer confirmed we will have more comic book type costumes so that is terrific news!

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #96
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

I just hope there's no yellow from the comics. That's not needed. A deep, dark yellow with gold in it might work but flat out yellow is not it.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #97
ALP
In The Mountains

I don't think the costumes are going to be more flamboyant in terms of color. But just more of the comic book design with the same serious toned colors.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #98
Emma Frost
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post

Give me this, please
Yes please

Emma Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #99
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm3 View Post
I'm sick of the directors & Marvel shying a way from the CB look. Stop being ashamed of your characters Marvel!!!
If you want to blame someone for X-Men not having comic book style costumes, as opposed to (for example) Iron Man and Spider-Man. Collectively blame Batman and Robin, previous Marvel debacles and Blade.

X-Men (1) was released in 2000 (I know, it's been a while). The last superhero film featuring big name characters was Batman and Robin which certainly featured superhero-y comic book costumes (with nipples). Between then and X-Men, you had the release of Blade which used very realistic, down to earth, black ops gear on it's main character.

I think if X-Men had come out after the success of Spider-Man or Iron Man films (as we know them today) you would've seen more comic book accurate costumes. Moreover, if you followed the production design on Spider-Man you certainly would've seen that they toyed around with darker, grittier costume designs. Also, if you view your special features X-Men DVDs you'll see they actually had designs of much more comic book like superhero costumes. I think Blade definitely influenced the shift to darker, more realistic costumes.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #100
Norm3
Side-Kick

I wasn't wild about the GG COSTUME.