The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 08-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #26
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Default Re: Avengers taking away from other Marvel films?

how is The Avengers possibly taking away from other Marvel films? Iron Man 1 & 2 and Incredible Hulk were all great movies. Amongst the upper echelon of comicbook movies at the very least. Captain America and Thor both look to be top notch as well. The Thor footage that we have seen looks like they put alot of time and effort into the film.

This Avengers hate needs to end. Some people are getting ridiculous with this stuff. Supposedly, a few lines of dialouge in Iron Man 2 referring to The Avengers was TOO much and having Stark appear at the end of Hulk was a bad thing. Seriously guys, some of you need to chill out and enjoy the ride. I don't want to wait 8 years for an Avengers movie. No movie in this arc has been excessively rushed. They only hired the wrong writer for Iron Man 2.

ElMariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #27
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I remember the days when people complained that NO comic book movies were being made....mow it's too many....sheesh.
We need a time machine pretty bad so we can appreciate what we have.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #28
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

Ah nerdrage hasn't changed.

Well I am in the minority that found that Iron Man 2 was polluted by the many wants of the fans. The references to S.H.I.E.L.D., Black Widow, Nick Fury, References to Cap America and other such things felt very forced to me. Their place in it was taking the emphasis from the real threats at hand. It is also the theory that Marvel pushed the shooting dates of the movies in order to pump them out. Basically fast tracking many of these products.

I am also a believer that too much of a good thing can take away the value of it. I enjoyed the cameos of RDJ in Hulk, as well as Nick Fury at the end of Iron Man. HOWEVER, I feel that these films are being overrun by these "fangasms" and are detracting from the main point, that this is a movie about that specific hero. I hate that they might turn into giant commercials for the Avengers.

As for the new age of many superhero movies, I appreciate Quality over Quantity. These poor films are becoming spark notes of great characters and taking away the characteristics that would make an Avengers movie exciting.

If I don't care about Thor or other heroes, why would I care if they team up? I was at the Marvel Panel for Cap A and Thor and honestly I find the footage lackluster. It lost what I felt made the new Marvel Studios movies good, instead it is now becoming a race for the Avengers.

CaptainClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 AM   #29
First Avenger
Side-Kick

I read on the Hype! many complaints about Avengers'subplot in IM2.Honestly for me it just worked in the movie;to me it still felt like a movie about Tony Stark,BW wasn't over-used in the movie and Nick Fury was there for like 4-5 mins,it was just a natural extension of S.H.I.E.L.D's role after IM1.

First Avenger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #30
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainClown View Post
Ah nerdrage hasn't changed.

Well I am in the minority that found that Iron Man 2 was polluted by the many wants of the fans. The references to S.H.I.E.L.D., Black Widow, Nick Fury, References to Cap America and other such things felt very forced to me. Their place in it was taking the emphasis from the real threats at hand. It is also the theory that Marvel pushed the shooting dates of the movies in order to pump them out. Basically fast tracking many of these products.

I am also a believer that too much of a good thing can take away the value of it. I enjoyed the cameos of RDJ in Hulk, as well as Nick Fury at the end of Iron Man. HOWEVER, I feel that these films are being overrun by these "fangasms" and are detracting from the main point, that this is a movie about that specific hero. I hate that they might turn into giant commercials for the Avengers.

As for the new age of many superhero movies, I appreciate Quality over Quantity. These poor films are becoming spark notes of great characters and taking away the characteristics that would make an Avengers movie exciting.

If I don't care about Thor or other heroes, why would I care if they team up? I was at the Marvel Panel for Cap A and Thor and honestly I find the footage lackluster. It lost what I felt made the new Marvel Studios movies good, instead it is now becoming a race for the Avengers.
Very true, if you're making these films simply as a prelude to a team up movie you're not really making them for the right reason and you're doing a disservice to the fans in the process who deserve good movies. IM worked so well because there were no strings attached, there may have been some looking toward the future, but because there was no assurance that the thing would take off in the first place the focus was squarely on making IM/Stark the focus of the film and making it good. Fast forward two years and now we're trying to tell a story about Tony Stark whilst having to accommodate all this other stuff which we didn't have to deal with before and it makes for a much poorer film.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #31
HUMANIMAL

it seems that what they intended with the sequel was successful. there was alot of character development...
everyone who was sitting there and thought: when do we see iron man...didnt get the point the movie makers intended i think.
we saw iron man through out the whole movie....tony stark is iron man...
but he also belongs into a much bigger world than he thought....now there was too much of avengers in it?...WRONG!!!!
the main plot was about tony and how he is going to develop and growing into a world we all love. they succseded imo...i mean having a lot of information bout a bigger universe and the whole character development of the main character is a hard piece of work. there was a sort of balance. and they will just start opening a new door for other characters after the avengers......

.....movies are an art form...but come on...
how long did it take t'ill comic books were accepted as an art form as well??????
these are movies based on comic book characters....they are still limited in time and ....yes money...cause it is still a risk, will it be successfull? will the major audience like it? try it...!!! you think you can make it?...voila here's the contract now prove yourself and we will see....

they are on a good way!!!!

MY FANART AND MANIPS
HUMANIMAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #32
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

the marvel studios movies may seem like just origin stories for the character, but really they are 1 big origin for the avengers team as well. much like in the comics how you have the avengers team comic, then the individual characters have their own series. they have many references to the avengers in their individual series. i dont really see the badside to this. putting the avengers stuff in now will allow them to jump straight into the avengers action without long explanation or origin of each character.i really can't wait to see how it comes together.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #33
SKSpawn
Side-Kick

I don't see how the slate for Thor, Captain America, and Avengers is really any different than contracting three Spider-Man films. Say Iron Man is Spider-Man: it does really well, so you commission production of the sequel. Part of that process involves writing a script, hiring, and producing a schedule that says "we will have Spider-Man 2 finished in two years". You predict Spider-Man 2 will do as well as the first, if not better, so negotiations are drawn up for a third film with a tentative release date.

Like it or not, this is what the Marvel movies essentially are: parts of an interconnecting narrative, branches (not quite sequels) of each other, with the payoff being Avengers.

I fail to see how a comic book fan can not be hyped for a slew of these film, or the Avengers coming together onscreen.

SKSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #34
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Whiney fanboys and their whiney ******** and being whiney.

All the Avengers business was in the first Iron Man movie as well. We knew about Avengers and what they wanted to do in 2006. We knew about it in 2008.

Is it hurting the movies? Only if they let it. Isn't an Avengers movie and crossover movies what we wanted? Why are people suddenly getting a bad attitude about it?

One of IMHO the best things about Iron Man to me was that they gave it that extra little sizzle of it being more than just a superhero movie. For instance they actually put SHIELD in the movie when they basically didn't need to. They put in the extra Nick Fury/Avengers Initiative scene. Iron Man showed that it was doing a lot more than just other comic book superhero movies before. We wouldn't get stuff like this in Spider-man or X-men or the other garbage movies like Ghost Rider, Daredevil, and Fantastic Four. These were huge steps and I felt they were positive ones.

So I mean why shouldn't we be seeing Avengers stuff?

Also Jon Favreau is the one that said he didn't want to do DEMON IN A BOTTLE. He said point blank he didn't want to do LEAVING LAS VEGAS.

So maybe you guys need to stop whining like little fanboy baby *****es and maybe acknowledge that Marvel is TRYING really hard to give us what we've been asking for, for years.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #35
jmc
callin' it like I see it

And the catering to the fans is exactly why people are concerned, the more you try to satisfy the faithful the more chance you have of overlooking other areas of the film.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #36
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

I wouldn't mind having someone total up the amount of time in the 124 minute runtime that was devoted to the Avengers. I don't think it was all that much. This is probably overblown.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 AM   #37
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I like what DC/WB is doing their not even focusing on a big joint picture until their characters are fully established independently. In GL references to batman and superman were ever taken out.

I think all the avengers easter eggs (actually blatant eggs) in IM2 kinda cheapened the film and hurt its story.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #38
SuperFerret
Cooler than your grandpa

A big, dare I say huge, part of each of these characters' stories is their ties to the Avengers team, so I really don't get what all the complaining about.

SuperFerret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 AM   #39
Hoblin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
A big, dare I say huge, part of each of these characters' stories is their ties to the Avengers team, so I really don't get what all the complaining about.
Agreed. These characters ARE Avengers. Maybe some people would prefer if they weren't, but too bad, they are. I've been an avid comic reader for majority of my life. And too even be alive while some of my favorite comic book characters are having big-budget, bad-ass movies made about them is something I thought I'd never see and it's amazing beyond belief.

If Nick Fury pops up in an Iron Man comic book I don't cry and moan and complain about it. If Thor appears in a Hulk comic I don't mind so much. I actually rather like it. Hell, these characters are always appearing in each other's books.

Whatever problems you (a collective "you," not a specific "you") had with Iron Man 2 it wasn't because of Avengers references. To make that statement is the same thing as saying that it's impossible to tell top-quality Iron Man tale with Avengers references in it. And I've been reading comics too long to believe that. Maybe you didn't like the WAY that Nick Fury and other Avengers references were incorporated, but to categorically state that their mere presences cheapened the movie is rather silly IMO.

If you don't like crossovers and things like that, then...how...in...the...HELL...are you gonna enjoy the Avengers movie?

Hoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #40
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
It's fanboys on the internet...they have to have something to complain about. For years it was that thier heroes weren't being filmed and that the ones who were weren't being interconnected together...now we have more heroes being filmed and they are interconnecting them...so of course they have to complain about that.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #41
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
It's fanboys on the internet...they have to have something to complain about. For years it was that thier heroes weren't being filmed and that the ones who were weren't being interconnected together...now we have more heroes being filmed and they are interconnecting them...so of course they have to complain about that.
Agreed. Most of those folks wouldn't be happy in either case. As a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's reading these books, I have to pinch myself that they're even being made.

The most we had growing up was the Incredible Hulk TV show (which I loved, and still love to this day), and a bad live action Spider-man TV show, and a couple of bad live action Captain America made for TV movies.

Perhaps with GL, Thor, Cap and X-men, people will be reaching their tolerance limits for these films, but I actually don't think so. People said Superheros were dead in the 1950's, when the biggest selling comics were war comics, or westerns or something like Archie. But when the Silver age, or Marvel Age, or whatever you want to call it, kicked off in the 1960's, superhero's popularity has pretty much been a constant since.

Certainly people are demanding higher quality in these films, but at the same time when you had a summer like 2010, where outside of IM2, Toy Story, Dispicable Me, and Inception the summer was pretty barren, next year could be huge with those films all coming out.

People want big event type movies in the summer, and having all these movies tie in together, I don't know how much bigger you can get.

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #42
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

To all the whiney fanboys on here. Shut up. David Poland was right about all of you.

- CM Punk
Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #43
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I've been thinking a lot about how much of a fuss Avengers at Comic Con, compared to other films, but it's just because there is so much time left I guess.

I mean they have plenty of time to focus on the actual marketing for Thor and Cap seperately, but it's nice to have the connection between the two ready in people's minds.

Those who might not have been that fussed to see them individually, will want to see them because it's all part of the avengers, which will be a huge movie.

There are down sides to this obviously. For me it seems like people might not bother with Cap or Thor because they are just gonna wait for The Avengers. It depends on what type of movie goer you are I suppose.

Personally I prefer the way DC are doing it. They are focusing on one thing at a time. Not flooding people with too much at once. Just subtle but strong marketing on one hero at a time.

I think that by the time they have decided to actually do a Justice League movie, all the individual heroes will have had their moment in the limelight, and it'll be much more epic because of that.

I mean, The Avengers, to a lot of non comic verse people, is just another Superhero group like X-Men or Fantastic 4. Because most of them will not know much about the minor characters especially.

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #44
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

What is DC doing? They basically followed and copied Marvel's example with the way they set up DC Entertainment. And then they released a ****** Jonah Hex movie.

- CM Punk
Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #45
jmc
callin' it like I see it

^ Take a chill pill man.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #46
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

when that generation x movie came out i was like i wish they would make an x-men movie. then when that came out i was like i i wish they would make an avengers movie. now that's its happening i can finally wish for my dc vs marvel movie,lol.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #47
SuperFerret
Cooler than your grandpa

DC vs Marvel will never happen. It basically requires the general audience to recognize that the Marvel and DC Universes are seperate.

SuperFerret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #48
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
^ Take a chill pill man.
The ones that should chill are all the whiney, *****ing, moaning, and groaning fanboys.

- CM Punk
Old 08-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #49
jmc
callin' it like I see it

It's not as if it's a conversation about some minor detail like costumes, it's about the film as a whole and fans of the characters have the right to voice concerns that the preceeding films may get short changed for the sake of a team up film. That's a genuine concern, not some typical fanboy complaint.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #50
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

How are they being short-changed though? Was Iron Man short-changed with all the Avengers set-up business? Was The Incredible Hulk that many of you claimed to love?

- CM Punk