The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #26
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bioshock Infinite

That would be cool.

I would wonder though, would they be able to do that during the 1900s or would it have to be in the near future like a 2020 date?

Speaking of Big Daddies...Msyterio in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions reminds me of a Big Daddy, lol.

LightningFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #27
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

I gotta say, the only reasons there is a negative reaction is becuase of this unexpected news. So automatically, there's a switch that turns on in other's heads and says, "Oh, this idea sucks!" Why? Because it's not in Rapture again is why. But let's think about this.

To be honest, I don't think they could have made another third great Bioshock game in Rapture. With the second one, I was very surprised they managed to do it, as it is better than the original in ways. They managed to pull it off again in the second game, but a third? I don't think they had it in them. I think they knew this too and is one of the major reasons why they took it in a new direction. They obviously care about the consistancy in the quality of their games, and the only way to maintain that consistancy is to take it in another direction. This has the undertones of the former two games, btu in a different setting, which may seem kind of bewildering at first, but when you think about it, this is a fantastic idea. I would have been looking forward to a Rapture set Bioschock 3, but I would have even more doubts than the second game. I think they're being smart about this. And I trust themt hey will make a great game.

Last edited by Doctor Jones; 08-13-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #28
Paroxysm
Banned User

I already nerdgasmed when I saw it on Kotaku yesterday.

Paroxysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #29
Syncos
ROFLICIOUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningFlash View Post
Could there ever be a space station maybe floating above Earth?

Or maybe something like Land of the Lost/Lost World where there's a civilaztion within the core of the Earth.

Hrm...I would hope there's a BioShock 3 though. There are certain plots from both games that could be tied up to make a complete trilogy.
Not really sure, as I didn't play it, but i'm pretty sure System Shock took place in a space station. Since it's kind of a precursor to Bioshock, I doubt they would retread that ground.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #30
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

I wouldn't mind a Land of the Lost/Lost World kind of area then.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #31
The Navigator
Punch Punch Punch

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a Land of the Lost/Lost World kind of area then.
Dino-plasmids!

The Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #32
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I'm fine with the change in setting but I'm a bit down on making it a prequel.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #33
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

It could provide alot of great story opportunities. I read one article where they speculated that Andrew Ryan could be the guy at the music player who ignores you as you fall through the city. It kind of makes sense. We saw the plans for Rapture in the opening, so an underwater utopia plan is already there. Ryan could be living in Colubia, frustrated with its jingoism and not so perfect world, which leads him to building Rapture down the line. Rapture was built in 1929 and this takes place in 1912. He could be in his 20's or 30's in this game.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #34
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
Dino-plasmids!
Big Daddy Dinosaurs, haha.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #35
Soapy
It's happening again...

The weird thing about Columbia is that I got the impression during Bioshock that Rapture was a one of a kind place. If there were already flying cities and who knows what else out there in the world, then Rapture becomes a lot less impressive.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #36
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

This new BioShock game could be set in a different, alternate Earth though where Columbia is the prime gem and not Rapture.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #37
Arbiter
MercWithAMouth

Quote:
That would be cool.

I would wonder though, would they be able to do that during the 1900s or would it have to be in the near future like a 2020 date?

Speaking of Big Daddies...Msyterio in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions reminds me of a Big Daddy, lol.
I don't think the were able to build an underwater city or floating cities in the 1920's

more cast coming soon...
Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #38
Spidey17
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
The weird thing about Columbia is that I got the impression during Bioshock that Rapture was a one of a kind place. If there were already flying cities and who knows what else out there in the world, then Rapture becomes a lot less impressive.
Dude, the pressure is insane at the bottom of the ocean, Rapture is at least equally impressive. And plus, we never saw Rapture in it's prime. It'd be like judging America at the worst part of the Civil War, it just wouldn't be right.

They're really both one of a kind if you think about it.

Spidey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #39
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
I don't think the were able to build an underwater city or floating cities in the 1920's
Rapture was created in 1946 I believe.

Columbia was created in 1900. This game, BioShock Infinite, will be set in 1912.

Unless you were serious, then no...in real life, no such cities were created

Old 08-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #40
Benstamania
Shot first.

I'm glad I don't play games based on what can/can not be done in real life.

Last edited by Benstamania; 08-14-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Benstamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #41
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey17 View Post
Dude, the pressure is insane at the bottom of the ocean, Rapture is at least equally impressive. And plus, we never saw Rapture in it's prime. It'd be like judging America at the worst part of the Civil War, it just wouldn't be right.
I'm not taking social problems into consideration. I'm strictly speaking of them as incredible feats of engineering. Putting it into a real world context, the World Trade Center would have been a lot more impressive had the Empire State Building never been built.

However it doesn't matter as I tend to agree with LightningFlash that this probably doesn't take place in the same universe as Bioshock and Bioshock 2.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #42
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I think you're spot on. Something about Columbia existing just lessens Rapture and Bioshock 1 as a whole, it makes it less unique/special.

I had considered if maybe this sequel was just taking place in its own little world and if so I'm completely game. I'm happy with the new setting (I actually really liked Bioshock 2 but it is a very flawed game, its setting being played out is a big one), I'm just worried about the continuity.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #43
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

I seem to think this exists in the same world. I would love it if it did. To me, if this does include Ryan, it makes him having the want to build a separate utopia and not be apart of the jingoistic society like Columbia make more sense.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #44
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

The game balance for both games were completely out of wack.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #45
Arbiter
MercWithAMouth

Quote:
Rapture was created in 1946 I believe.

Columbia was created in 1900. This game, BioShock Infinite, will be set in 1912.

Unless you were serious, then no...in real life, no such cities were created
Just saying your logic didn't make sense. We can't make an underwater city right now let alone in the '40s. But in the world of the game they were able to, so it's not that big of a stretch to put one on the moon. At least to me but that's mostly cause I want to see it lol

more cast coming soon...
Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #46
Soapy
It's happening again...

The thing that points to this being set in a different universe for me is that you have access to plasmid-like powers, but plasmids were first invented on Rapture several decades after this game's setting.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #47
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
Just saying your logic didn't make sense. We can't make an underwater city right now let alone in the '40s. But in the world of the game they were able to, so it's not that big of a stretch to put one on the moon. At least to me but that's mostly cause I want to see it lol
The reason I was referring for the future when a moon base is established is just because that seems over-the-top even for BioShock's universe in the 1900s.

Going 'space' in BioShock's universe seems like it needs to be in the future; it's very different than areas on Earth, with being ocean or sky.

Last edited by LightningFlash; 08-15-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #48
Soapy
It's happening again...

If they end up doing a Bioshock is space, then they might as well just remake System Shock.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #49
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

This one is set during the city's heyday though, not when it's abandoned and crumbling.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #50
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Ehh, I wouldn't call it the city's heyday.

BioShock was set 14 years after Rapture was created, and BioShock Inifinte is set 12 years after Columbia was created.

Unless Rapture's heyday was only 2 years after it was created, then it all went downhill from there.