Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #251
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: Official Clark Gregg/Agent Coulson Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGirl299 View Post
Has this been confirmed?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I can see myself crying the cinema. My mom loves Coulson. And I love Loki, but I don't think I can tolerate him if this actually happens.

I've seen the movie. It happens, and it's really brutal.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #252
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I've seen the movie. It happens, and it's really brutal.
NOOOOO!!! Not the Son of Coul!!! WHY LOKI WHY!? So Coulson has become the Krillin of the Avengers group?

- Don't let the baby face fool you.

"One loyal friend is worth 10 thousand relatives." - Euripides
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #253
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Because he takes no prisoners!!!!

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #254
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

I'm thinking that Loki is going to be losing some fans over this. >_< That makes the Thor 2 writer's job that much harder to make Loki a sympathetic villain what with the fidelity Coulson fans have for him.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #255
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

I personally had a hunch it would happen. Whedon is well known for abruptly killing off fan favorites in brutal manners, and what better way to get an audience to hate the villain than killing off a fan favorite?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #256
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

But I'm just wondering for Thor 2 how the writer(s) will get Loki to be a sympathetic villain after killing Coulson in a brutal manner? It's not like they can wish Coulson back with some magical Dragonballs and make everything all better again.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #257
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Well, if you check out CBM, there's a video interview with Gregg, and he seems confident that Coulson will be back in some way.

As for Loki, he's going to kill a ton of people, but there's always room for redemption. I'm sure there will be consequences for his actions, but it doesn't leave out redemption. Darth Vader is a prime example.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #258
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Well yeah, the specific character I took my name from has probably killed way more people than Loki in Avengers and people still like him too so I guess I can see your point.

Maybe Coulson can be cloned, or they call pull a Steve Austin (The character Lee Majors played in the 70's not the wrestler) and turn him into a Bionic man.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #259
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
I'm thinking that Loki is going to be losing some fans over this. >_< That makes the Thor 2 writer's job that much harder to make Loki a sympathetic villain what with the fidelity Coulson fans have for him.
As unpopular opinion as this might be (especially on the Coulson thread)... I don't think I'm going to become less of a fan of Loki over this, at least not right now. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the Son of Coul. But even though I haven't read comics, I know generally enough to feel comfortable saying "no one ever really stays dead in comics" - I mean, haven't most great characters died at one time or another only to be brought back? I mean, what with them adding Coulson to other properties (i.e. as Principal Coulson on Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon) it seems weird to me if he were to stay dead.

Now... if as we go along with future solo movies and sequels after Avengers and there's no indication that he's being brought back, THEN I might be pissed at Loki. But just for Avengers, I'm not going to let it bother me - in regards to my Loki-fanness - just yet. Hope that made sense

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #260
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
But I'm just wondering for Thor 2 how the writer(s) will get Loki to be a sympathetic villain after killing Coulson in a brutal manner? It's not like they can wish Coulson back with some magical Dragonballs and make everything all better again.

All they have to do is have Loki cry about his daddy issues and how he always got bullied by the Warriors Three when they were kids and his fangirls will want to kiss his boo-boos again.

Personally, I hope Odin sends Loki off to be chained up with snake venom dripping into his eyes. Or maybe ties him to a mountain top with vultures pecking out his liver for all eternity. (I know that's a Greek thing, but it's so fitting.)

Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #261
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Well yeah, the specific character I took my name from has probably killed way more people than Loki in Avengers and people still like him too so I guess I can see your point.

Maybe Coulson can be cloned, or they call pull a Steve Austin (The character Lee Majors played in the 70's not the wrestler) and turn him into a Bionic man.

I think that like most good villains, Loki will stay popular overall. That's the way it works in comics and in film. (In fact, I expect at least a few fanfics justifying Loki's murderous behavior popping up soon.)

Though I want Coulson to survive, I doubt that will happen. Whedon keeps insisting that "death makes the stakes real," so undoing his foul deed would be something he would resist. The fact that Coulson didn't originate in the comics probably plays a role in it, too. Frankly, I see someone like Hill as much more expendable than Phil Coulson, but her death would have caused cheers instead of grief. Hill was actually heckled in the screening I attended because she's so hated.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #262
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

All of this is making me expect the worse.

I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

IronGirl299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #263
quara33
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just realized Thor is the one series where they don't have to resurrect Coulson--if they travel to any of the realms of the dead (Hel, Niflheim, Valhalla), they could use the character again. Don't know if/how that'd tie into Loki's redemption (assuming there is one), but its feasible. Yes, I am in denial, why do you ask?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #264
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by quara33 View Post
I just realized Thor is the one series where they don't have to resurrect Coulson--if they travel to any of the realms of the dead (Hel, Niflheim, Valhalla), they could use the character again. Don't know if/how that'd tie into Loki's redemption (assuming there is one), but its feasible. Yes, I am in denial, why do you ask?

I thought of that, too. Using comic book logic, Coulson's spirit could well have been sent to Hel or another of the realms when Loki killed him. They could say that some property of Loki's spear caused it. I prefer the LMD explanation, though. No muss, no fuss.

Last edited by xeno000; 04-24-2012 at 03:17 AM. Reason: added SPOILER tags
Old 04-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #265
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
I thought of that, too. Using comic book logic, Coulson's spirit could well have been sent to Hel or another of the realms when Loki killed him. They could say that some property of Loki's spear caused it. I prefer the LMD explanation, though. No muss, no fuss.
LMD works a lot better than resurrecting him from another realm.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #266
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
LMD works a lot better than resurrecting him from another realm.

Especially since Tony specifically referenced LMDs in The Avengers.
When Tony and Pepper first appeared, Coulson was trying to get in to see him. Coulson called and Tony answered the phone with, "Hi, you've reached Tony Stark's LMD...."
So they've established that SHIELD does have LMDs in the MCU, just as in the comics. LMDs are usually Nick Fury's "Get Out Of Death Free" card, but there's no reason Coulson couldn't have one, too. In fact, it's likely that he would because he's Fury's right hand man and a senior SHIELD official.

In chatting with someone who also saw the movie, I remembered that the plot leaves plenty of time in which Coulson could have been swapped out for an LMD. Once he and Cap get back to the Helicarrier there are times when everyone else is seen and Coulson is not. Then when the battle breaks loose Coulson goes AWOL for a bit, on Fury's orders.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #267
quara33
Side-Kick

Quote:
When Tony and Pepper first appeared, Coulson was trying to get in to see him. Coulson called and Tony answered the phone with, "Hi, you've reached Tony Stark's LMD...."
So they've established that SHIELD does have LMDs in the MCU, just as in the comics. LMDs are usually Nick Fury's "Get Out Of Death Free" card, but there's no reason Coulson couldn't have one, too. In fact, it's likely that he would because he's Fury's right hand man and a senior SHIELD official.

In chatting with someone who also saw the movie, I remembered that the plot leaves plenty of time in which Coulson could have been swapped out for an LMD. Once he and Cap get back to the Helicarrier there are times when everyone else is seen and Coulson is not. Then when the battle breaks loose Coulson goes AWOL for a bit, on Fury's orders.
Oh, I like this.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #268
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

Quote:

Hmm. Interesting. That should actually work.

I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

IronGirl299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #269
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

I'm confused...

Old 04-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #270
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
I'm confused...

By what?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #271
bored
One Sexy Lemur

Hey all, with all the
death
talk, here's some good news.

G D
H S
T
Y
bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #272
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

SON OF COUL makes his debut into the Marvel Universe comics In the sixth and final issue of the Marvel Comics miniseries Battle Scars.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/...oks/54508162/1

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #273
xeno000
Raining hell from above

I am so looking forward to more SHIELD adventures in the 616 universe. Even if he's with Nick Fury Jr. I'm happy that they decided to place Agent Coulson in the "real" Marvel Comics universe rather than the Ultimates. Also, his back story is just what I thought it should be: ex-Army Ranger putting those skills to work for the spy agency. And his code name is perfect: Cheese.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #274
quara33
Side-Kick

Heh, checking back to the previous installments,Cheese has a fanboy moment regarding Captain America. Well played Marvel, well played.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #275
bored
One Sexy Lemur

I like how those panels just show him being Mr. Suave Badass, seeing as there would be no other accurate way to depict him. Still think taking Marcus Johnson and basically making him "616 Ultimate Nick Fury" is cynical.

G D
H S
T
Y
bored is offline   Reply With Quote