The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #301
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Default Re: Official Clark Gregg/Agent Coulson Support Thread

The more I think about his personal "storyline" the more I love how it tied the movie together in a way.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Firstly, the way Coulson geeks out for Cap and Cap only of course shows how "old-fashioned" he likes his heroes in an age of cynicism. Hell, they even say it. Then obviously it gives Cap a nice close tie to him, even if they're not exactly on bestie status.

His death not only brings the team together because of his relationships with them, but for what his ideals were. As Fury said, he "believed in heroes." Casting aside the cynicism and pulling together for this "old-fashioned" heroic team up was what the whole movie was about, and as well as Marvel/Whedon's approach to the whole project. Like Whedon's been saying, it's a very "old-fashioned" movie. Because the way the world is, people just might need a little old-fashioned.

I can understand criticism that the characters weren't close enough to Coulson to work together personally, but I will say this was no "cheap" death. The Son of Coul did not die in vein.

I guess this analysis is pretty obvious reading it over but I felt like I had to get it down somewhere.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #302
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

I still think the lines between him and Fury suggest that his death was possibly planted or planned out. Which leads me to the LMD idea.

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #303
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Is it a for sure thing that he dies?

Old 04-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #304
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Yes.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #305
Qantarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
1st post on the Hype after being a long time lurker so be gentle

I think that there is enough ambiguity in the way it is portrayed that there is a chance he is still alive - particularly from the fact you never technically see his body (him not breathing for a few seconds doesn't really count) and the conversation between Fury and Hill about where the Cap cards came from.

I get the impression that it's just another one of Fury's little secrets.

At least that's what I'm hoping for anyways - knowing this spoiler ahead of time I went into looking anything I could to put hope in the fact he is not technically dead :-)

Qantarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #306
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I like Coulson, but he's as dead as Harvey Dent after his fall in TDK.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:26 AM   #307
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Secretly alive and in TDKR?

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #308
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qantarus View Post
1st post on the Hype after being a long time lurker so be gentle

I think that there is enough ambiguity in the way it is portrayed that there is a chance he is still alive - particularly from the fact you never technically see his body (him not breathing for a few seconds doesn't really count) and the conversation between Fury and Hill about where the Cap cards came from.

I get the impression that it's just another one of Fury's little secrets.

At least that's what I'm hoping for anyways - knowing this spoiler ahead of time I went into looking anything I could to put hope in the fact he is not technically dead :-)

Hi, Qantarus! Welcome to the Hype. We're always happy to have new voices added to the discussion.

Actually, I think you're right, there is a glimmer of hope for Coulson. After my brother and I saw the movie we immediately picked up on the possibility that Coulson didn't die. Not only did we never see the medical team pronounce Coulson dead as Fury claimed, but the bit with the trading cards stood out, too. Now, it's entirely possible, if not probable, that Whedon didn't show any medical intervention because of time and pacing concerns, but that does leave a gap in the story that can be used to explain Coulson's survival.

There are several other little things that also give me pause, like Tony just mentioning LMDs out of the blue and the amount of time that Coulson was unaccounted for during the Helicarrier battle. All of that could amount to a whole lot of nothing, I readily admit. In fact, I'm more inclined to believe that Coulson will remain dead because otherwise Whedon's grand plot point is negated retroactively. However, no one ever really dies in comic books, so even though this is a comic book movie there is always a possibility. Until there isn't.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #309
Qantarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Actually, I think you're right, there is a glimmer of hope for Coulson. After my brother and I saw the movie we immediately picked up on the possibility that Coulson didn't die. Not only did we never see the medical team pronounce Coulson dead as Fury claimed, but the bit with the trading cards stood out, too. Now, it's entirely possible, if not probable, that Whedon didn't show any medical intervention because of time and pacing concerns, but that does leave a gap in the story that can be used to explain Coulson's survival.

There are several other little things that also give me pause, like Tony just mentioning LMDs out of the blue and the amount of time that Coulson was unaccounted for during the Helicarrier battle. All of that could amount to a whole lot of nothing, I readily admit. In fact, I'm more inclined to believe that Coulson will remain dead because otherwise Whedon's grand plot point is negated retroactively. However, no one ever really dies in comic books, so even though this is a comic book movie there is always a possibility. Until there isn't.
To me Fury is the master manipulator - so to get around Whedon's grand plot point it could be simply seen as Fury saying / doing what needed to be said in order to get the team to do what he wanted without them realising they were doing it.

I guess until the Blu Ray comes out and includes the 30 mins of cut footage that Whedon has been talking about we won't know for sure if there is anything that will be able to prove things one or another - until then I'm happy sticking with the old comic book adage of unless you see a body - nobody is really dead

Qantarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #310
antonydelfini
Quiver

I just want Coulson in a SHIELD prequel movie with the Widow/Hawkeye origin as the main focus.

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #311
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qantarus View Post
To me Fury is the master manipulator - so to get around Whedon's grand plot point it could be simply seen as Fury saying / doing what needed to be said in order to get the team to do what he wanted without them realising they were doing it.

I guess until the Blu Ray comes out and includes the 30 mins of cut footage that Whedon has been talking about we won't know for sure if there is anything that will be able to prove things one or another - until then I'm happy sticking with the old comic book adage of unless you see a body - nobody is really dead
Kind of what I'm going with until we see any future Marvel movies and he's possibly seen again.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #312
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Carnage View Post
In reference to the thing everyone is talking about:

I had a slightly different experience. When he died mid-sentence, a group started laughing and talking. Completely ruined it for everyone.
Just a few 14 year old who didn't want to show their shock.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #313
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Clark Gregg and Cobie Smulders are in the new issue of Empire Magazine.

Last edited by The Caped Knight; 04-28-2012 at 09:13 PM.
The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #314
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

So, what about...

the supposed second credits scene for the US release? Vision and/or Coulson?

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #315
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

I watched it last night and I just freaked. Still freaking, actually. Now who are we to call when we see the meme 'Keep calm and call Coulson'? Still, holding on to someone's hopeful speculation that it's been an LMD the whole fight with Loki.

I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

IronGirl299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #316
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
So, what about...

the supposed second credits scene for the US release? Vision and/or Coulson?
Hi, ericadawn! Welcome to the Hype!

We don't even know that there really is a second end credits scene for The Avengers. Kevin Feige did confirm that something was filmed, but he said it's a small snippet that appears in the body of the film. Feige is the Father of Lies, so no one really believes him.

Robert Downey Jr. was the first cast member to let the cat out of the bag about the extra filming, and he keeps fanning the flames. The Reelz Channel (US) is running an Avengers special hosted by Clark Gregg, with cast interviews. At the end, RDJ said that they filmed another post-credits scene. Then he immediately denied saying that. Clark himself said that there are rumors of a new scene in a video interview on another site. But people who have seen the finished film say that isn't so. It might only appear in the US version, but that's unlikely and would cause fury among fans in other countries.

Chances are that RDJ has just been trolling the world. We'll know for sure when the film opens in the US.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #317
SaF
Side-Kick

ok so having just got in from seeing the movie for the third time, something really stuck me early on in the movie

when fury has his first meeting with the council, when they are talking about the tesserac (can't spell) being stolen and how they want to use phase 2 not 'a group of freaks' as they put it, fury says that they need a team and yes they 'are isolated but together they can be more, with the right push'. That isn't an exact quote but the thing about the push was definatly in there, and I instantly thought, he's already planning to have Coulson die as that push, even at that early stage, its a contingency to really motivate the team if they aren't working out... and then they weren't working out, so fury told coulson to put that plan in effect, why else would he only send coulson to secure Loki, otherwise you'd think he'd send other agents with him!

We see coulson open a secure vault, but we don't know what was in it, you assume its the destroyer weapon but it could be his LMD... with the manipulation Fury pulled with the cards, I really think that there is enough ambiguity in the film to not rule out coulson being alive, whether marvel studios will bring him back is another matter though.

Thinking about it, finding out Coulson is alive and Fury manipulated them (even if it was for a good cause) in such a way could be a plot point for driving the avengers to separate from Shield, they aren't so closely tied to the organisation in the comics they are separate, so this could be how that is accomplished in the movies so the avengers are their own thing, funded by the Maria Stark foundation etc..

meh just something that really struck me when I was watching in the cinema... he uses almost exactly the same phrase when he explains his actions to hill as he does in that meeting... I think Coulson could definatly come back if the studio wanted him =)

apart from my mad fan ramblings, I really like coulson in this movie! He is so funny and, you can tell he's an incredible agent, always so calm and doing the right thing even under stress =)

SaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #318
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Thanks for the warm welcome and telling me about that Reelz Channel program!

I just love Agent Coulson and he was just on Ultimate Spider-Man this morning. I'd go into more detail but that's probably spoiling, too?

I know that when I watch The Amazing Spider-man, I'll be wondering where Coulson is...

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #319
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
I still think the lines between him and Fury suggest that his death was possibly planted or planned out. Which leads me to the LMD idea.
I think it would completely devalue what happened if it turned out to be something as easy an LMD.

Though saying that I think there is enough about how it went down that's a little off that you could maybe have Coulson alive. Maybe Fury lied like he did about the trading cards or maybe there's some other unknown factor at play.

I remember there being an out there rumour he could be Captain Marvel. Obviously that never played out in Avengers, but it was a popular rumour for a bit, I wonder if he could be brought back as him. Probably not likely either, but it's a nice idea (to me).

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #320
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome and telling me about that Reelz Channel program!

I just love Agent Coulson and he was just on Ultimate Spider-Man this morning. I'd go into more detail but that's probably spoiling, too?

I know that when I watch The Amazing Spider-man, I'll be wondering where Coulson is...
You're welcome. We always like to see new members here.

That Reelz show will repeat multiple times in the coming week, so anyone who missed it should check their TV schedules. The interviews were fun and they played a featurette with a few new clips from the movie. It might pop up on YouTube eventually.

I saw Coulson on the Spidey cartoon, too. He's really funny. I loved it when Taskmaster had Coulson stripped and strung up by his heels. He was still just as calm as ever, just like you'd expect from the Son of Coul.

While it doesn't look like Coulson will appear in the Avengers: EMH cartoon, he is in a tie-in comic book. I just can't find it, though I have seen some images from it. Has anyone seen it?

Coulson is also in the Battle Scars comic book, alongside the new Nick Fury Jr. who conveniently looks like Samuel L. Jackson. SHIELD's best agent is finally in the 616 universe. (Now they need to get the best agents from the comics in the movies, and I don't mean Hill. )

Old 04-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #321
Blanket-Man
Side-Kick

If Coulson was actually an LMD, would he bleed like he does? I don't remember Life Model Decoys bleeding in the comics. Then again, since we haven't seen an actual LMD in the Marvel Movie-verse, anything's possible!

Blanket-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #322
Jedm1991
Blurple Rain

I think Coulson has been a some kind of Robot all along and hasn't actually existed as a human

Jedm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #323
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedm1991 View Post
I think Coulson has been a some kind of Robot all along and hasn't actually existed as a human
Bad ass algorithm.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #324
TDK Joker
Float On

I saw this for the second time today, and I noticed this which I hadn't before. We first hear of this mystery cellist with Pepper and Coulson in Stark Tower.

THEN, when Tony arrives on the Helicarrier for the first time he's talking to Coulson and he says (i'm paraphrasing of course) "I can fly you down to Portland if you want. You have to keep the love alive." I just thought that was really nice of Tony to want to have Phil happy and in love.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #325
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Apparently according to Feige from an interview on the site that shall not be named, it was Marvel's idea to
kill Phil. They were unaware of Joss's reputation and he was all like, "You know that I'm gonna get blamed for this, right?"

Found that quite amusing

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote