The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #326
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Clark Gregg/Agent Coulson Support Thread

Got a retweet from the illustrious clark gregg today!! What a cool guy!
RT @guerrillastreet: @clarkgregg R food truck is passing out free avengers stuff including free tix 2movie! #assemble http://pic.twitter.com/rlgYrtGp

Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #327
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Yeah, he does seem like a cool guy. It's probably half the reason people took to Coulson.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #328
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK Joker View Post
I saw this for the second time today, and I noticed this which I hadn't before. We first hear of this mystery cellist with Pepper and Coulson in Stark Tower.

THEN, when Tony arrives on the Helicarrier for the first time he's talking to Coulson and he says (i'm paraphrasing of course) "I can fly you down to Portland if you want. You have to keep the love alive." I just thought that was really nice of Tony to want to have Phil happy and in love.
OMG tears! You can see how things go--in SI, Tony acts all insensitive ('His first name is Agent!') but when, y 'know, it DOES happen, he's the one who's most affected and I loved the way RDJ played that emotion. Being the one who's known him for longest and considering his friendship with Pepper, it must have hit him real hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
Apparently according to Feige from an interview on the site that shall not be named, it was Marvel's idea to
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
kill Phil. They were unaware of Joss's reputation and he was all like, "You know that I'm gonna get blamed for this, right?"

Found that quite amusing
LOL

I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

IronGirl299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #329
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

I think what
Sells it for me with Stark is that RDJ generally has Stark constantly talking and moving. But at the table after Phil dies, he's silent and barely moves. kinda seals the deal with how close he and Phil had become.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #330
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
I think what
Sells it for me with Stark is that RDJ generally has Stark constantly talking and moving. But at the table after Phil dies, he's silent and barely moves. kinda seals the deal with how close he and Phil had become.
Yeah, his death had an affect on him (and everyone). I liked the moment later when he confronts Loki saying "there was someone else you p**sed off. His name is Phil". Little side note, he said the present tense 'is' instead of past 'was', which apparently is in keeping with someone who's just lost a friend or loved one (ok, I watch too much Law and Order lol).

Personally I think the LMD theory would just devalue what happened. Though saying that, Fury did seemingly like about the trading cards. Maybe Coulson is in a hospital bed somewhere? I dunno. I admit I just want to see the guy back, but at the same time I don't want it to be as easy a write off as an LMD (though I did float a Captain Marvel idea a page back).

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #331
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Yeah, his death had an affect on him (and everyone). I liked the moment later when he confronts Loki saying "there was someone else you p**sed off. His name is Phil". Little side note, he said the present tense 'is' instead of past 'was', which apparently is in keeping with someone who's just lost a friend or loved one (ok, I watch too much Law and Order lol).

Personally I think the LMD theory would just devalue what happened. Though saying that, Fury did seemingly like about the trading cards. Maybe Coulson is in a hospital bed somewhere? I dunno. I admit I just want to see the guy back, but at the same time I don't want it to be as easy a write off as an LMD (though I did float a Captain Marvel idea a page back).
If they do bring back Coulson as being alive, then I'd like to see whichever hero's movie he shows up in to get seriously peeved at Fury and/or Hill for lying to them.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #332
quara33
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
If they do bring back Coulson as being alive, then I'd like to see whichever hero's movie he shows up in to get seriously peeved at Fury and/or Hill for lying to them.
I agree--I can handle Fury being that manipulative, since it's totally in keeping with the character, but I think the death scene works because Coulson was truly risking his own life--I'm not sure it'd work as well if he was just faking it.

Oddly, I think Tony would actually be more forgiving of that kind of manipulation than Cap, or Black Widow.

Sad as I am to say it, I'm rather doubtful they'll bring Coulson back at all--the character had an amazing arc and served his purpose. They don't need any 'connective tissue' since the Avengers themselves are that tissue. They don't need a proxy for SHIELD since Fury and Hill can fulfill that. I'm not saying Marvel might not be playing the long game, but I don't think they'll bring back a character just to appease the fan base. It would have to serve a plot purpose (Vision, the motivation for Extremis, Captain Mar-Vell), and be pretty well-motivated.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #333
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
Apparently according to Feige from an interview on the site that shall not be named, it was Marvel's idea to
kill Phil. They were unaware of Joss's reputation and he was all like, "You know that I'm gonna get blamed for this, right?"

Found that quite amusing

Did you hear the rest of what Feige said about Coulson's fate at the very end of that interview?

Quote:
Interviewer: I told Clark Gregg that as soon as everyone knows, I'll start a petition to get you resurrected.

Feige: Well, that's the good news, isn't it? Everybody knows, for as realistic as we want our movies to be, you do know that and the comics have shown us that everything is possible. And I think the letters "LMD" are even used in The Avengers at some point.

And that's from the president of Marvel himself, holding out the possibility that Agent Coulson actually survived, and that the LMD theory might have some merit. Now, Feige is the devil*, so we have to take everything he says with an ocean of salt, but at least we have some hope.

* I don't really think Feige is the devil. He's obviously Mephisto.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #334
quara33
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post

* I don't really think Feige is the devil. He's obviously Mephisto.
I TOTALLY misread that as Mistoffelees :
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #335
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by quara33 View Post
I TOTALLY misread that as Mistoffelees :
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Fixed your video link.

Neat Cats reference. The Mephisto I was thinking of was this one:

Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #336
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Clark Gregg interviewed by Chris Farley of the Wall Street Journal

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 AM   #337
Polux
Side-Kick

Maybe I'm looking to much into it...or maybe it's just to early in the morning for my brain to be awake...but I think it also speak lots of how the whole thing affected us the fans, that we're calling him Phill now instead of Coulson or Son of Coul....

The way I see it...Phill was my friend...

And yeah, Feige is the devil...(If only for the LMD comment...)

Polux

Last edited by Polux; 05-03-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Hope didn't spoil anything...
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #338
Casius--J
Web Master

^^^You might want to edit and put some spoiler tags in there, what you've written is too obvious I think.

But yeah man I was so sad to see Coulson go, I really liked his character but I guess it was a good catalyst to get The Avengers together finally

I would prefer if he stayed dead and not come back via some hokey reasoning, his death had an impact and its better to leave it that way.

Casius--J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #339
Godzilla2000
Brunette Bomb Blast

Quote:
Clark Gregg interviewed by Chris Farley of the Wall Street Journal
What a tragic name for that reporter guy to have. >_<

"Ignorance is not bliss"

Godzilla walks alone but accepts help from his close Kaiju friends when he needs it.
Godzilla2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #340
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
What a tragic name for that reporter guy to have. >_<
Not really. The Journal's Chris Farley has been around for many years and is probably older than the other one. He used to call himself Christopher John Farley when he was young and pompous.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #341
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Who's marriage we got to sacrifice to
bring agent Coulson back to life

Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #342
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Who's marriage we got to sacrifice to
bring agent Coulson back to life
Haha I have no idea. Dang all these Faustian Deals!!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #343
Bren
Forevernoob

Fury's reaction to
Coulson's death makes me think it was genuine. And having him come back would lose something. However, if he did come back, it would be AGES after we all had the shock of seeing him 'die' so...

It would be interesting if those people above Fury were the ones who instigated some Coulson LMD and not even Fury knew about it - Twists and turns hehehe

I LOVE that idea from jedm1991 - He was ALWAYS a robot = AWESOME!

I'm not a massive comic book reader so I guess I could have odd ideas, but
Imagine Coulson's in a coma from Loki's attack, and Shield want to use his brainwaves for Ultron. Hank Pym, being the jealous creator of the robot, installs his own anyway.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #344
pyromaniac
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's the way Whedon sold it, to get cover when people pointed out quite rightly that killing off popular characters is a habit he indulges in virtually every project. In fact, it's such a well-worn Whedon cliche that many fans, myself included, knew he would go right back to the well and correctly guessed which character was the sacrificial lamb. That the writer-director has a compulsion for that one trope is rather annoying to me.

Also, the way Marvel is now integrating Agent Coulson into every other medium strikes me as a cynical attempt to capitalize upon the character's popularity now that he has been killed off in the film. They're as much as saying, "Hey, we know you fans love the guy so we've killed him in The Avengers to raise the stakes, but imported him into cartoons and comics to get more mileage out of him." So Coulson is both dead and alive in different universes, sort of like SchrŲdinger's Agent.
Actually, to reiterate, apparently it was Marvel's idea, not Whedon's. But it's an easy mistake to make.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #345
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

It would be an interesting end to the Vision rumors although I was kind of hoping for Vision...

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #346
Polux
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casius--J View Post
^^^You might want to edit and put some spoiler tags in there, what you've written is too obvious I think.

But yeah man I was so sad to see Coulson go, I really liked his character but I guess it was a good catalyst to get The Avengers together finally

I would prefer if he stayed dead and not come back via some hokey reasoning, his death had an impact and its better to leave it that way.

Thanx bro, just went over my head for whatever reason....

But yeah, I guess time will tell...

Polux

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #347
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

I was under this crazy, now-inappropriate theory that Coulson was actually Captain America, but by IM2 I was all like, 'Neeehhhh...'

Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #348
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGirl299 View Post
I was under this crazy, now-inappropriate theory that Coulson was actually Captain America, but by IM2 I was all like, 'Neeehhhh...'

Well, Phil loved Captain America....in a purely platonic and absolutely innocent way, of course. Creepy admissions of watching Cap sleep notwithstanding.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #349
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Mr. Gregg has been doing a lot of publicity for The Avengers, with many interviews and videos popping up in recent days.

Clark Gregg's Top Five Avengers Movie Scenes: Either this was hilarious or I am easily amused. Or both.

TIME: The Avengers' Clark Gregg on Wrangling Superheroes in Spandex

Clark Gregg Talks Marvel, Whedon and Neo-Noir: An interview with Hey You Guys covering Clark's adventures in avenging, his career as a writer/director and the possibility that he will direct a project for Marvel in the future. Clark's ideas about the tone he would take if he directed a SHIELD movie are very interesting.

Quote:
It seems that youíd like to be a part of this universe as a writer/director. Is Kevin Feige aware of this, or will he find out when he hears back from these interviews?

He knows. Theyíve been very kind. I was making Choke while I was doing Iron Man. Theyíre very filmmaker friendly, as Joss said. They didnít pull off this magical act that I think they pulled off by bringing people in and bossing them around. It was a brand new studio, they bring people like Joss in, and they really listen. Thereís very little to suggest in the little Sundace movies that I make that Iím ready to step in to a giant superhero epic, but they know that Iíve written some movies that have been made, and theyíve been interesting in conversing with me about what might be a way for me to work with them again.

Have they offered you any short films to direct?

[Pregnant pause]

Iím always so scared about talking about this stuff, because I feel that I could evaporate at any moment. The short seems like a logical place to start, but I have a feeling that if I were to make a short, Iíd want to do the fanciest Ė Iíd be wanting to do The Avengers short.

If you could direct any property in the Marvel Universe, which would it be?

Iím interested in, maybe itís my background, Iím interested in SHEILD. Iím interested in Budapest. Iím interested in the things, when Barton [Hawkeye] is talking to her about the past, thereís a very dark, very violent, Hong Kong shoot Ďem-up-styled, men in black with sci-fi elements version of a SHEILD prequel that I would be very keen on working on.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #350
leke101

As much i really liked Agent Coulson I thought his death was necessary for two reasons:
1. It showcased how dangerous Loki is
2. It gave the Avengers(particularly Tony Stark), a touching reason to put aside their differences to "avenge" their fallen friend.

It would be so, so, so, so, so stupid if Coulson ends up being an LMD. It would be a stupid and unnecessary twist. Coulson died a heroic death and it should remain that way or it will cheapen the whole film.

leke101 is offline   Reply With Quote