The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Favorite Original Score To A Marvel Film?
Blade 0 0%
Blade II 0 0%
Blade Trinity 0 0%
X-Men 2 2.22%
X2 11 12.22%
X-Men: The Last Stand 7 7.78%
X-Men Origins: Wolverine 0 0%
Spiderman 11 12.22%
Spiderman II 16 17.78%
Spiderman III 7 7.78%
Daredevil 0 0%
Elektra 0 0%
Hulk 9 10.00%
The Punisher 13 14.44%
Fantastic Four 1 1.11%
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer 0 0%
Ghost Rider 0 0%
Iron Man 8 8.89%
Iron Man II 1 1.11%
The Incredible Hulk 4 4.44%
Punisher: War Zone 0 0%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #126
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: Scores To Marvel Films: Which do you like the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Diner View Post
Yeah, I know that it wasn't Elfman's decision for his own score to get re-used. A lot of his original score fits really nicely, and I wish a lot of it had been in the film. But other parts of it, like Young's score for the train sequence, are way better than what Elfman had written.

That I strongly disagree with. I think Elfman hit the ball out of the park with that cue. I remember being very impressed (and still am) with that particular cue, when I first heard it. And thinking to myself (as I did most of the album), "why did Raimi and TPTB rejected such an amazing cue like that ?" Which (I think) would've enhanced the already exhilerating and breathtaking action scene even more.

I just thought Young's cue, while decent, was just tension and suspense music. Which works. I thought Young was trying to keep up with the action and effects more than telling a story with the music. Elfman was writing a lot more than just suspense and tension music. He was actually doing more than scoring an action scene, imo. His version had a lot more emotion and heart in it even during the action. Plus his take on Spidey swinging back on the train after Ock knocked him off the train for a few seconds. Was more epic and breathtaking than what Young wrote for that part. I remember that left an impression on me after I head that particular part of the cue on the score album for the first time. That was one of those cues that I couldn't stop playing or rewinding (even in the middle of the cue as it was playing) I used to try and study the detail and orchestration or whatever in that cue (back in the summer and the rest of "2004"). I think that's one of (if not) the best action cue(s) Elfman's ever written, imo. Maybe even the best action cue in the Spidey franchise, so far.

But that's cool you like Young's better.

Last edited by Elevator Man; 03-15-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #127
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieSmiling View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

X2 Theme, set with cartoon opening. My favorite Marvel theme.
Really wish that video would have worked, love the X2 score and always loved the cartoon opening.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #128
Daredevil
The Man Without Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Diner View Post
I also really loved Graeme Revell's score for Daredevil. His music is almost able to make up for the shaky direction, because he finds a unique sound and a well-developed mood for the entire score. But surprisingly, my favorite track from the entire score isn't any of the action cues or the Daredevil theme (which is awesome), but the scene where Matt takes Elektra onto the roof.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I laughed, not because of anything you said, but because you used the video from the score which was actually uploaded by me on my Youtube account XD

In any case, I agree that Daredevil's score is great and pretty underrated. Still can't top The Punisher 2004 though in terms of music though.

On another note, I am really glad that this thread has undergone so much discussion in the long amount of time that it has been since I made it.

-Wiegraf Folles, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Last edited by Daredevil; 04-01-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #129
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Thor - Patrick Doyle

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #130
Daredevil
The Man Without Fear

I don't remember much from Thor actually. I should probably give it a listen later.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #131
Blight616
Side-Kick

Thor & 2004 Punisher.

Blight616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #132
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick

Best scores would be X2 and Thor,
Best soundtrack would go to Iron Man 2 and Daredevil

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #133
Alientraveller
Side-Kick

I voted for The Incredible Hulk, loved Craig Armstrong's work for that film. I also loved Thor by Patrick Doyle, each of the X-Men trilogy's music (including John Ottman, who composed fantastic stuff for F4).

Alientraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #134
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

I like Elfman's Spider-man score. It's not as recognizable as the Superman and Batman scores, but when you hear it you know it's Spider-man. Unfortunately, Marvel (and other studios making Marvel movies) don't consider a signature theme music that identifies a superhero to be important, so we have lots of forgettable tunes.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #135
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I like Elfman's Spider-man score. It's not as recognizable as the Superman and Batman scores, but when you hear it you know it's Spider-man. Unfortunately, Marvel (and other studios making Marvel movies) don't consider a signature theme music that identifies a superhero to be important, so we have lots of forgettable tunes.
Spiderman's theme sounded more like a suite. It wasn't a theme but a mix of themes used during the movies.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 AM   #136
hugekent
Side-Kick

Thor's score topped X2's for mine.

hugekent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #137
Daredevil
The Man Without Fear

I'm sorry that Thor isn't on the list, but when I made this poll it wasn't out yet (obviously)

Old 05-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #138
Spider-Man '92
Amazing

I've only seen Thor once, and while the music was majestic, I didn't latch on to any sort of theme. There might be one there that I'm not hearing, but in my opinion it should be able to catch my attention from the get-go.

"Even though you've been raised as a human being you are not one of them."
Spider-Man '92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #139
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

There are multiple themes in Thor. But Thor's theme itself plays constantly throughout the movie, once you realise what it is you'll hear it all the time throughout the movie. That's what happened with Spider-Man for me.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #140
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Thor's score is definitely in the upper tier of marvel scores for me. Still say Punisher'04 has the best.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #141
DarknessOfDeath
We're badasses...

I was gonna vote for Thor but realized its not on the list lol. But what the hell, I choose Thor anyway.

DarknessOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #142
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHulk View Post
TIH's score, without a doubt, is the best one for me. But I also like Spider-Man
Same here

Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #143
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Okay so all the Marvel films ( Thor, X-M:FC, CA:TFA) this summer have been out. What did some of you think of the scores and how'd you rank them with past Marvel scores?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #144
hugekent
Side-Kick

I rank the First Class score as the best overall. All three were fantastic though, both CA and Thor would be in my top 5.

hugekent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #145
Vaportrail
Oh, shock!

This has bugged me for the longest time. As much as I enjoy the Spider-Man films, I hate the score.

Well, not the entire score. The chorus. The holy-sounding "ooo" and "ahh" is just way too over-the-top. It's basically saying "He's so greeeeaaat" and "web-swinging is next to godlineeeeess".

Pretentious. I think it kinda became cool for a while after Star Wars Episode I came out... but I'm really hoping they'll be shaking things up for the reboot.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #146
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

I love that, I love the first two scores altogether. Gorgeous stuff, especially the swinging music.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #147
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

X3 duh!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #148
co2
Side-Kick

Still sticking with Punisher '04.

What would be cool is if Avnegers had a great theme.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #149
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaportrail View Post
This has bugged me for the longest time. As much as I enjoy the Spider-Man films, I hate the score.

Well, not the entire score. The chorus. The holy-sounding "ooo" and "ahh" is just way too over-the-top. It's basically saying "He's so greeeeaaat" and "web-swinging is next to godlineeeeess".

Pretentious. I think it kinda became cool for a while after Star Wars Episode I came out... but I'm really hoping they'll be shaking things up for the reboot.
I think the chorus adds a lot to the web swinging scenes in Elfman's scores. It adds an extra "oomph" that the films would've lacked without it. The music when he swings down off the building and down toward the police cars and after Uncle Ben's killer in his prototype suit in S1 was very powerful. As well as after he saved MJ at the World Unity Festival. It sounds magical and adds a sense of wonder, imho. The scene plays to the crowds reaction and MJ's amazement of Spidey. I also loved the way the chorus was used when he saved Aunt May in S2. It was really heroic and backs up the theme well. And the scene when he swings away from Aunt May and girls are chasing after him. The chorus and music was really amazing right there. The music shows that Spidey finally earned Aunt May's respect and is embraced by the public (especially the teenage -twenty something girls). It also showed Spidey saved the day. I think Elfman's Spidey scores would lose something without the chorus.

BTW, Elfman always had a thing for the chorus in his scores since "Scrooged" I believe. So Williams "Dual of the Fates from" Star Wars Ep.1 has nothing to do with why Elfman used a chorus for his Spider-man scores. It's just apart of his style.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #150
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Silvestri's CA:TFA score was good, but not great. It's not as amazing as some make it out to be. He just wrote a better GIJOE score than his actual score to GIJOE:ROC.

I'll admit he wrote a good theme that fits the character, but he couldn't really do much with it besides playing it "heroic", "triumphant", and "patriotic". A good theme is something that can do many things. He should be able to turn the theme on it's head , inside and out. he should've been able to do more with it. A good theme should be more than just catchy, imo.

The score also lacks themes. There should've been a love theme for Steve and Peggy. I know the romance in the film was underdevoloped but still. Red Skull didn't have a theme either. Which is a shame b/c I can picture him having a dark, menacing and haunting theme. How does Cap have a theme but his nemesis doesn't. That's like giving Luke Skywalker a theme but not Darth Vader. Imagine that. The Hydra also didn't have a theme. They deserved a theme too. Since that's what Cap's up against most of the movie. Hydra definitely deserves something along the lines of Williams' Imperial March. The Cosmic Cube didn't have a theme either. The cube definitely deserved a theme since it's the main focus in the upcoming Avengers movie. If Silvestri had given it a theme he could've used it for the Avengers (since he's rumored to be scoring it). The Cosmic Cube needs a theme along the lines of the Ark (from Williams' Raiders score) and the amulet (from Broughton's The Monster Squad score) theme. A lot of missed opportunities.

The score also doesn't sound like something from the 40s, imo. Sure it's old fashioned (meaning big orchestral score with hardly any synthesisers). But it's not something that sounds like it came from old serials, imo. The only cues that did sound like something that captured that time period were Silvestri's "Captain America March" and Menken's "Star Spangled Man".

Johnston also mentioned that CA:TFA was going to be in the vein of Raiders. Both the score and film didn't live up to it, imo. I know it's hard to write a score that could match up with Williams' Raiders. But still. I don't even think the Silvestri's score matches up with Horner's Rocketeer score or Edward Shearmur's Sky captain &TWOT score either.

For those that think that Silvestri's CA:TFA score stands up with Williams' Superman and Elfman's Batman score. How ? B/c he wrote a catchy theme which Silvestri didn't do much with besides being "heroic", "patriotic", and "triumphant". The score didn't feel like it was a character of it's own in the film like Williams' Superman and Elfman's Batman score did. I don't ever think the film wouldn't have been as effective without Silvestri's score. I think his score was serviceable at best.

Now I don't hate the score. I think the action writing is good eventhough it's in the same vein of his GIJOE and A-team action writing. It's probably up there with his Beowulf score ( which I also think could've been better). It's better than a lot his scores in the last few years. But it's nowhere near his best or great scores, imo. It's just good but could've been a lot better.