The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #101
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: Zoe Kravitz Has Been Cast - Angel/Storm?

I saw this in Yahoo's press release on January's casting. Maybe this is the extent of Zoe's involvement:

Quote:
Also joining the cast is Zoe Kravitz, daughter of rocker Lenny Kravitz, as Angel Salvadore (not to be confused with the majestically winged, original X-Man named Angel), a relatively new character who debuted in 2001. In the comic books, this newer Angel, whose housefly-like physiology allows her to fly, doesn't particularly get along with her fellow X-Men, especially Emma Frost.
One can only hope and pray.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #102
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Sorry, but Scott and Jean mean nothing to the general audience.
I wouldn't say "nothing." And that's because everyone tooko a backseat to Logan in all three films (although Storm got a little more screentime in X3). But I think if mainstreamers were asked who comes to their mind first when thinking of the X-Men the following characters would probably register highest:

1.) Wolverine
2.) Storm
3.) Magneto
4.) Cyclops
5.) Jean/Professor X (tied)

The top 4 characters are arguably the "flashiest" in terms of power displays/money shots on screen.

Now, we already know Logan won't be in this film, hence FOX's push for a sequel to last year's insipid X-Men Origins: Wolverine. But if they don't include Storm too? Or Scott or Jean? They are going to be hurting themselves.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 08-18-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #103
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyJ View Post
I don't mean to sound shrill but...

Zoe Saldana is BLACK or at least part black, hence why she looks black. Just because her parents are from Puerto Rico and DR doeasn't mean they are not black. Those countries have black populations. There are black populations outside of the US and Africa. Latino/Latina is not a race. She's a Black Latina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic...c#Demographics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_h...in_Puerto_Rico
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_h...in_Puerto_Rico

Zoe herself claims she is black.
When I go to the D.R., the press in Santo Domingo always asks, "¿Qué te consideras, dominicana o americana?" (What do you consider yourself, Dominican or American?) I don't understand it, and it's the same people asking the same question. So I say, time and time again, "Yo soy una mujer negra." ("I am a black woman.") [They go,] "Oh, no, tú eres trigueñita." ("Oh no, you are 'dark skinned'") I'm like, "No! Let's get it straight, yo soy una mujer negra." ("I am a black woman.")
Welcome to the Hype; great first post.

I don't think anyone here is questioning her ethnicity. I doubt any of us really even care. The point some are making (including myself) is that she does nothing for the look of Storm. We're only concerned with how the character is portrayed here, not the racial background of the actor.

In my opinion, Zoe just looks terrible for the role. She's not even pretty to me and that's not just because I'm gay. LOL

Old 08-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #104
Project862006
Banned User

zoe saldana is not pretty?

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #105
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
zoe saldana is not pretty?
I think he got his Zoes mixed up. I'd be thrilled with Zoe Saldana as Storm; I think she is absolutely stunning. Zoe Kravitz? Not so much.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #106
PsyJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Welcome to the Hype; great first post.

I don't think anyone here is questioning her ethnicity. I doubt any of us really even care. The point some are making (including myself) is that she does nothing for the look of Storm. We're only concerned with how the character is portrayed here, not the racial background of the actor.

In my opinion, Zoe just looks terrible for the role. She's not even pretty to me and that's not just because I'm gay. LOL

Thank you. I was only addressing a couple people who were saying that Zoe Saldana wasn't black at all. That just drives me up the wall.

As for Zoe Kravitz, I do think she's pretty although not that pretty. I don't have much of an opinion about her as a younger Storm. Need to see if she is indeed playing Storm etc., etc.

PsyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #107
katie_girl09
All kinds of smexy.

Default Re: Zoe Kravitz Has Been Cast - Unannounced Character/Storm?

Quote:
*points to Billy's post below*

You got it.

Storm is a RAW beauty. She's exotic--yes. But she was never a candy-faced woman. She has never been drawn that way. Remember, she was originally patterned after Iman...who is like 90 degrees darker than this young lady (or Halle for that matter).

What has always made Storm just a striking woman is (aside from her height and blue eyes) the stark contrast between her white hair and dark, rich complexion. Not the washed out look that we had in X1 and X2. Halle looked so soft and downy that the wig they used for X3 actually had black low-lights in it just to bring SOME color to the girl's face!

Zoe is just more of the same.
Thank you, sir. Storm has never had soft facial features as far as I know. She was exotic-looking. And even though people seem to hate her, I still think Grace Jones would have been perfect in her younger days.

katie_girl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #108
succumbtofear
Man With Chops

Default Re: The Official Zoe Kravitz Angel/Storm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
I'm assuming you're judging simply on appearance Lightning?

For all we know they could give her a mohawk and have Storm be a teen rebel. I think we should wait and see before jumping to assumptions.

I agree, but on that note, I'd LOVE to see a young rebel mohawk Storm!

succumbtofear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #109
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
Vaughn/Singer obviously have a plan and know what they are doing. If they don't include Cyclops, Jean and Storm it will be for a reason.
Agreed. This debate is relative. "X-Men needs big characters"..? Any character can be made "big" in meaning, depending on how they are written, directed, and acted on screen. All relative. Two of the characters that many here are in fact concerned about weren't necessarily given "star" treatment in the previous films, either...ergo one couldn't assume that much of the audience was flocking to these films because of these characters...

While like many others, I've had my problems with Fox's handling of their productions in the past, I sense something different afoot here -- I sense that Singer is acting as a strong producer (who was originally planning to direct, after all) and is attempting to protect Vaughn from studio interference as much as humanly possible.

While one shouldn't be naive to the possibilities on either side of the coin, personally, going by their quotes so far, I'm rather intrigued by what Vaughn and Singer seem to be cooking up (and the relatively original casting), and I hope for the best.

The likelihood of Scott, Jean, or Storm not being in this film does nothing to diminish my interest whatsoever in this picture...and this is coming from someone rather un-schooled X-Men comics -- the kind of audience member who will in fact determine whether this pic will "break out" into profitability, or not.

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #110
the a1ant
Awesome

I'm a big fan of Storm and I actually wouldn't mind Zoe Kravitz in the role! If they care about actually developing the character this time out, I think she could pull it off. Storm was a bit wilder when she was younger. Is she 100% comic book character accurate? No, but if they really are keeping this in continuity, then she's a good match for a younger Halle.

With that said, I think she's perfect casting for Angel Salvadore.

Last edited by the a1ant; 08-18-2010 at 11:20 PM.
the a1ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #111
Project862006
Banned User

i actually am happy storm/scott/jean/ to not be in it leave more room for magneto/xavier/emma/bacon's character/etc.

leave them for sequels to fully develop them and not try to develop xavier and magento as well as scott ,jean ,and storm

Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #112
Nokio
Side-Kick

I'm sorry but what does Zoa Saldana from Avatar have to do with this thread? Surly no one here can possibly confuse her with Zoe Kravitz?

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #113
The Original Bamfer
Sassneto

No, no one has. But many beieve Kravitz may actually be playing a young Storm, and some think that Saldana would be a better fit for the role. It's not all that confusing, really.

The Original Bamfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 AM   #114
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Zoe Kravitz
Old friend she will be Storm. I dont care for this miscasting either but You know it to be true.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 AM   #115
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
No, no one has. But many beieve Kravitz may actually be playing a young Storm, and some think that Saldana would be a better fit for the role. It's not all that confusing, really.
Saldana would be even better the Berry as Storm, but we can all only think it or hope cause in reality Saldana is too old. The woman is over 30, this is not my idea at least of a young Storm as a teen student. Saldana would be great as a Berry replacement in X4

Last edited by Nokio; 08-19-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 AM   #116
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
i actually am happy storm/scott/jean/ to not be in it leave more room for magneto/xavier/emma/bacon's character/etc.

leave them for sequels to fully develop them and not try to develop xavier and magento as well as scott ,jean ,and storm
No Scott Jean or storm? Has this even been confirmed? No and I doubt they'll be left out especially Jean and Scott

Old 08-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #117
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
I still don't think this film will be successful without any big name X-Men in it. Sorry, just telling it like it is. Not in a fixational loop. Whatever the hell one of THOSE is.

Magneto, Mystique, Xavier, and Beast will not be any of the first X-Men off the tongue of a general audience member. Storm, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean though? Yep.

This movie NEEDS bigger characters to be successful.
When the first X-Men film came out, the general audience hadn't heard of Cyclops, Jean or Storm, and neither James Marsden nor Famke Janssen were well-known (and they're still not household names now). Hugh Jackman wasn't well known either. McKellen, Stewart and Halle Berry were the star names.

By fixational loop, I mean it's as though you can't let go of certain characters, that you have to have them over and over, as though going round on one of those hamster wheels and you can't get off.

The names in First Class that people will know are McAvoy and Bacon, and we have Singer and Vaughn's names on it too.

I agree there is a 'risk' with not having megastar actors in a movie, but that's so limiting and tiresome. Does every movie have to have an Angelina or a Leonardo - that is sooooo American for films to succeed only on the basis of the actors who are in them, hence why The Expendables outdid Scott Pilgrim at the US box office.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #118
JP
To me

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
When the first X-Men film came out, the general audience hadn't heard of Cyclops, Jean or Storm, and neither James Marsden nor Famke Janssen were well-known (and they're still not household names now). Hugh Jackman wasn't well known either. McKellen, Stewart and Halle Berry were the star names.

By fixational loop, I mean it's as though you can't let go of certain characters, that you have to have them over and over, as though going round on one of those hamster wheels and you can't get off.

The names in First Class that people will know are McAvoy and Bacon, and we have Singer and Vaughn's names on it too.

I agree there is a 'risk' with not having megastar actors in a movie, but that's so limiting and tiresome. Does every movie have to have an Angelina or a Leonardo - that is sooooo American for films to succeed only on the basis of the actors who are in them, hence why The Expendables outdid Scott Pilgrim at the US box office.
True. And if we're talking about popularity, most of the general audience is familiar with X-Men because of the animated series. Which is why they kept asking "Where's Beast? Where's Gambit?"

Beast will probably be all over the trailers and TV spots just like Gambit was in XOW.

Then you have Mystique, who is one of the more iconic images to come out of the original movies. I'd imagine seeing her in a trailer would do a lot more that a little red haired girl lifting her hand up. And this is coming from someone who's favorite character is Jean.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #119
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post

Wait a sec, when did McAvoy become a-list and a household name???? I would think that both Bacon a Oliver Platt would be the most reconizable stars on board with Bacon being the top star.

Singer and Vaughan?? Don't make me laugh, I appreciate a joke as well as the next guy but this one isn't funny. No disrespect to you but both of those directors are no where near household names, especially Vaughan. I wouldn't want Singer in the advertising credits for any Superhero comic based or action film as a selling point for a movie after Superman Returns. I remember when everyone was all happy and gleeful when it was announced that Singer was doing Superman. I posted then that Singer was wrong for the job and that SR was going to terriably mediocre. What he did with that movie should have gotten the Singer belivers to see why this man has never been the right director for these type of properties. The Xfilms just didn't suck more then being good movies and they weren't good Xmen films in relation to the comics as well.

Having name stars can help often and then sometimes not. The Expendables easily outdid SP because it gathered the big action stars from 80's 90's in one film and people was more interested in that concept and the action then SP, which when I saw the trailer knew it was going to be a flop or have a mediocre run at the box office. I said it here when the hype was starting up about it. It wasn't appealing at all based on the trailers. I saw Scott Pilgrim and enjoyed it. Even with that being said I stand by my comments on it's mass appeal.

Last edited by Nokio; 08-19-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #120
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
And when their movie is good, but fails to capture general audiences and the X-Men series ends, it'll be because they didn't include characters that the general audience would go see it for.
I agree. There's a certain layer of x-men fandomship (sp) that goes unnoticed. Its the ones who pay no interest in the comics but were introduced to the x-men world by the 90's cartoon. And there are lots of them, who still hold the 90s cartoon as the best of all the animated series. They will be asking where the hell does this Tempest or whatever her name is fit into all of this?

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #121
Angamb
Banned User

would be nice a manip of her as Storm

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #122
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio View Post
Wait a sec, when did McAvoy become a-list and a household name???? I would think that both Bacon a Oliver Platt would be the most reconizable stars on board with Bacon being the top star.

Singer and Vaughan?? Don't make me laugh, I appreciate a joke as well as the next guy but this one isn't funny. No disrespect to you but both of those directors are no where near household names, especially Vaughan. I wouldn't want Singer in the advertising credits for any Superhero comic based or action film as a selling point for a movie after Superman Returns. I remember when everyone was all happy and gleeful when it was announced that Singer was doing Superman. I posted then that Singer was wrong for the job and that SR was going to terriably mediocre. What he did with that movie should have gotten the Singer belivers to see why this man has never been the right director for these type of properties. The Xfilms just didn't suck more then being good movies and they weren't good Xmen films in relation to the comics as well.

Having name stars can help often and then sometimes not. The Expendables easily outdid SP because it gathered the big action stars from 80's 90's in one film and people was more interested in that concept and the action then SP, which when I saw the trailer knew it was going to be a flop or have a mediocre run at the box office. I said it here when the hype was starting up about it. It wasn't appealing at all based on the trailers. I saw Scott Pilgrim and enjoyed it. Even with that being said I stand by my comments on it's mass appeal.
I never said McAvoy was A-list or a household name, but he's pretty well-known internationally. Kevin Bacon is well known, of course.

Bryan Singer - despite his ill-judged decision to make Superman Returns and the rather lacklustre Valkyrie - is a well-respected director who has become synonymous with the X-Men franchise even though he had been absent from it for years.

I agree with you that he wasn't the right fit for Superman. And I agree with some of what you say about his X-Men movies (part of the reason I like X3 is that it feels more comicbooky and fantastical). He's certainly not the only person who could make an X-Men film, but he's approached the X-Men with the most respect and care so far. I loved Snyder's Watchmen, which is one of the few comic book films where you can totally accept the costumes and characters without question, so you'd get a very different X-Men if a more stylised director like Snyder was involved. But the bottom line is that Singer's films have been the most widely accepted (by fans, critics and mainstream viewers) and Fox knew this when they invited him back to be involved again.

Matthew Vaughn is fairly well known too, for Layer Cake and Stardust. I'm interested to see how his vision meshes with Singer's ideas.

I'm in the UK, so maybe the perception of those people's recognition and starpower is different here, but I'd say they will all help to sell this film. So will the involvement of Jane Goldman, the wife of UK presenter Jonathan Ross.

As for The Expendables vs Scott Pilgrim, well I brought that up and, as I said, including a whole pile of old action stars (who looked like waxworks at the UK premiere, as they've all had so much work done) has wider appeal than a stylised comic book adaptation, which is a shame. Because Scott Pilgrim has more panache and originality than seeing arthritic action stars dodging endless explosions and bullets. Don't get me wrong, I love action movies (i've been enjoying some UK re-runs of films featuring Expendables actors, films like Cobra etc). But having big names doesn't make it a better film.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #123
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Mmm, although you and I are always of one accord in our views...I have to disagree with ya here, X. Think about it: The X-Men films in themselves were never mega-mega-blockbusters (X3 possibly being the only exception). They gained in popularity because of two things:

1.) The characters--with Wolverine being the dominant factor
2.) The combination of the actors--with Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry's star status driving the sales of the latter two films. Now, consider:

With this film, you don't have ANY of that star power.
And (as far as we know) you don't have 4 of the biggest characters that drove the success of the first trilogy.

Do you really believe that mainstream audiences will flock to a film missing ALL of these elements? Once that word of mouth travels I think a lot of the hype will dissipate.

There's a reason why that Magneto film was never made. No one cares enough about him on his own...not "juicy" enough. And in the trilogy, Xavier was a supporting character (and he was MIA/Unconcious for 75% of the first two movies and DEAD for the third).

Xavier and Erik flourish best when supported by the ensemble cast of the X-Men. They are simply not strong enough to carry the whole film by itself.
I agree that First Class is more of a risk than, say, an X4 with established characters played by established actors. I guess we'll know when the film comes out (in what is already a busy summer for superhero movies).

But Fox is a master of movie marketing and if Vaughn/Singer make a dynamic, exciting and dramatic film, I think it will do well even if it doesn't break records.

Also, Fox's approach to Predators and Deadpool suggests it is now accommodating films that will please fans and are made at a lower budget because they aren't expected to be mega-blockbusters.

The problem with putting in Cyclops and Jean again is that we are just going to get a montage of scenes we have already seen before with these two characters. We saw how Jean's story started (in X3) and we saw how it ended (in X3) and the same applies to Cyclops. What can they bring that's new? I think mixing up the characters a bit is a good idea.

They could have a brief scene at the end with Jean, Cyke and Storm and others on their first day at the school, after Magneto's exit, and develop them in a sequel, although everyone's going to be watching for Jean to 'Phoenix out' and for Xavier to slam the blocks in. We know that story. That is why, i think, this prequel is adding new characters. If they were to add Jean and Cyke, they would have to be young unknowns because of the age of the characters, so we wouldn't gaining much. It's not as if we'd be adding Jennifer Aniston as Jean and Tom Cruise as Cyclops to get the mainstream dumbos interested.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #124
Project862006
Banned User

was'nt cyclops and jean much more popular among comic fans than wolverine was

Old 08-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #125
Hellion
He's Not Serious

Quote:

Has it been confirmed who Bacon's portraying? If they go the Hellfire route.........I think it could be interesting for Mag's and Xavier to have ties to the club...