The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #26
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Default Re: HOT!!! New Interview w/ Bryan Singer! (August 20th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAvenger4 View Post
"The costumes will be far more comic bookish than we've seen before"=
Sounds like Mr. Singer is taking at least a few fan suggestions to heart...

Can we expect some "yellow spandex," then...?

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #27
epc11223
Side-Kick

i gotta say; this screams just all kinds of wrong. singer is doing to xmen what he did to superman. both franchises were in similar positions when bryan singer came on. superman had a beloved franchise in 1 and 2 and he chose to forget about three and 4 and then made a semi sequel to the first two. now with x men, the first two were loved (for the most part) but the third and the first prequel were not well received. so what does he do? make a semi prequel. lol. then he does the little things like make havok, scott's younger brother in the comics, now his older brother or even have them as no relation. it just seems kind of silly to me. he's not a comic book fan, i get it; but he knows these movies should cater to comic book fans as well as the general audience. it's something so small but to make havok the older brother, is just kind of an odd choice. why not make the movie take place in the seventies and build from there? have the first half of the movie with charles and erik meeting and then the second half is the build up with the team. or something to that effect. plus at the end of xmen origins wolverine, professor x was still walking. plus at the beginning of x3, he was still walking. the time frames just don't mesh well with that aspect. if it's going to be a fresh start, i don't see why they can't just make it a fresh start instead of all the baggage. if it is a fresh start, then they should be a little more faithful to the source. i love superman returns, but i'm a huge huge huge superman fan, so i knew what to expect and what was going on. i'm a fan of xmen, but i find it kind of odd to keep picking and choosing what aspects these creators like. emma was a teenager in x origins wolverine, or 20 ( i don't really know lol) and now she's going to be january jones? sorry for the rant, but while i'm not a huge xmen fan, i have all the movies and do enjoy the characters and i feel that this movie is just one rushed job. the movie doesn't have much time for post production if they're starting on monday. figure a four/five month shoot which will bring you to what dec/jan? that's only a few months in post production/reshoot. (

epc11223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #28
epc11223
Side-Kick

i apologize for the long rant. haven't really posted in here, but wanted to convey my dissatisfaction. and i'm not a troll, i just feel like xmen fans deserve a little better. way too many inconsistencies, and i feel that cyclops, jean, storm, angel, and ice man should also be in this.

epc11223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #29
Project862006
Banned User

so who's gonna play Donald Pierce he has to be one of the characters not mentioned

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #30
topdog1
Hero For Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Love all these ideas. I love the fact it's in the 60's and has an international James Bond feel to it. This is the first comic book film to do that and that's awesome.

I can do without Scott and Jean I guess. Let's just hope for sequels.
They had to know that cutting Jean and Scott would cut the fan base. I really didn't see it coming at all. This means that Kelsey's Beast was almost 60 years old in X3... I can see that. I'm also glad that Diamond-Girl in Wolverine wasn't really Emma Frost. I HATE that secondary mutation crap. Also, Havok is going to be considerably older than his comic book big brother Cyclops. I can live with that change as well.

You think they'll finish First Class by having Scott, Jean and Storm first arriving at the school to set up what would be a cool sequel? Maybe from behind or by name so they don't have to cast the parts? If that's the case, I'm fully on board. I have faith in Singer.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #31
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

This movie is going to bomb so bad.

JustABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #32
The Wizard
Side-Kick

I hope we get X4 before a First Class sequel.

The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #33
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
This movie is going to bomb so bad.
yes no jean and scott means bomb/sarcasm

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #34
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Yes, it does. There's NO characters for the general audience, the most important audience to care about. It'll be the least profitable X-Men film, trust me.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #35
X Knight
Saber Class

very interesting info.

based on the interview, I have a feeling that First Class is indeed a reboot. I believe Singer said "new beginning" for the series.

The fact that Scott, Jean, and possibly Storm aren't in the film kind of undercuts what Xavier said in X1 when he described them as "some of his first students."

Also, Singer said that the costumes would be more comic booky than the other films.....again pointing to a slightly different visual style.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #36
gap5ewl
inconspicuous since '03.

I'm not liking this. I mean don't get me wrong, it sounds like a solid plot and I'm sure the acting and feel will be amazing. However, I'm not liking Havok and Beast being incredibally older than Cyke, Jean, Storm. Furthermore, it's sad to see these three won't be in the film. Also, the timeline just being in the 60's..IDK. One thing though, is anyone getting the feeling that Polaris might be involved? Both her and Havok made their debut in the 60's and she is the daughter of Magneto. Plus they said there are mutants that we don't know about still. Hmmm..

Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #37
Kurosawa
Banned User

Only a TOTAL reboot could save this jokefail of a series...unfortunately they didn't take this chance to do it. And of COURSE Cyclops gets screwed over again. He is supposed to be the first X-Man. AND they threw Havok into the movie??

Man, f**k Bryan Singer. I won't be seeing this turd.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #38
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

It's a god damn guarantee that Bryan Singer has no ****ing clue how to make a good superhero film now. Good films, yes. Superhero ones, no. Get him the hell away from the genre.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #39
X Knight
Saber Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Only a TOTAL reboot could save this jokefail of a series...unfortunately they didn't take this chance to do it. And of COURSE Cyclops gets screwed over again. He is supposed to be the first X-Man. AND they threw Havok into the movie??

Man, f**k Bryan Singer. I won't be seeing this turd.
actually............that's a good point re Cyclops. He IS supposed to be the first student Xavier recruits. And Jean should be part of the 1st group, too.

it's ironic that young Cyclops shows up in a Wolverine solo film. But, in the film that's supposed to be about the formation/early days of the X-men, Cyclops ( and Jean ) are MIA.....

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #40
Downhere
Jeremiah 33:3

I'm very mixed on all this news about First Class. Some of it sounds exciting while some of it sounds absolutely awful. I think I have to agree with JustABill, the box office returns on this may not be as high as the previous films due to the lack of recognized characters by the GA and the release date being so close to other big films. I hope I'm wrong, but it just isn't adding up.

Downhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #41
The Wizard
Side-Kick

I wonder how Xavier will lose the use of his legs.

The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #42
RustyCage
Come what may..

Whoa whoa whoa, if IMDB is correct (excusing Miss Pike) like he says, then that makes Zoe Kravitz Angel, and not Storm...

Hurm..

Old 08-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #43
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post
Again, semantics, but...my understanding was that the character thought to be a version of Emma Frost in Wolverine wasn't actually formally named in the credits -- am I correct? (I don't have a copy to reference.) Though they did kind of blow it by naming/using Scott Summers within the film...

Either way, I sense that Singer and Vaughn here are playing more freely with X-Men film contunity...and kindly choosing not to incorporate certain elements of the rather undesirable third film or Wolverine. Also -- and this is important -- Fox is apparently allowing them to do so. Munch on that for a bit.

Also, read Harry's words via Singer: he describes the film as a "new beginning" to the universe -- i.e. if the movie works, they can and should be able to move freely creatively from here on forward.

As I've said already, I'm rather intrigued by what Singer and Vaughn seem to be cooking up...

Only further adding a question mark for that Wolverine sequel. They want to have their cake and eat it too with continuity, it sounds like.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #44
Backdrifter
Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος

Singer never did and still doesn't get the X-Men.

They should just start over with the original team (Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Angel and Beast) and give Singer the boot. Put together the makings a huge trilogy arc with Magneto (or maybe even the Hellfire Club) as the villain in the first, Sentinels in the second, and the Apocalypse in the third. And then make a second trilogy with film versions of the Age of Apocalypse. (Ok that'll never happen, but a guy can dream)

Backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #45
Electrix
Side-Kick

Cyclops and Jean were hardly the main draws in the trilogy. People will go because its 'X-Men'. Fox will put cool power money shots in the trailers and it will do fine.

I think some people are just over-reacting because characters they wanted/expected won't be appearing.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #46
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Wrong. So wrong. 125 million budgeted films BOMB all the time.

Comic book movies with name brands BOMB all the time. So, sorry, but this has a strong chance of bombing with no recognizable characters that the general audience would go see a movie for in it.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #47
X Knight
Saber Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Only further adding a question mark for that Wolverine sequel. They want to have their cake and eat it too with continuity, it sounds like.
this is starting to give off the same vibe as SR did in terms of "vague continuity."

is First Class a true reboot? Is it a prequel to the other X-films ( all of them )? Is it a vague prequel that ignores Wolverine and X3 and picks and chooses parts of X1 and X2?

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #48
JP
Smelly

To the general audience Scott was a dick and a wuss, and Jean was the evil ***** who killed Xavier and 100 other people. This is all I read every day when checking out X-men related tweets on twitter.

If the movie is good and gets great reviews people will see it because its X-MEN. It's a proven franchise. Even when its bad they flock to see it.

I love how all of a sudden Scott and Jean are the biggest X-Men ever and are what people went to see in the movie in the first place. As if Xavier, Magneto, Beast, Emma and Mystique aren't recognizable.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #49
Backdrifter
Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
With a budget of around $125 million X-Men: First Class is unlikely to bomb.

Cyclops and Jean were hardly the main draws in the trilogy. People will go because its 'X-Men'. Fox will put cool power money shots in the trailers and it will do fine.
Really? 125 million budget = not bomb? Trying to see the logic in this one.

You may have something with the Jean and Scott thing, though I disagree, but the real draw to the previous films was, of course, Wolverine.

El no mas aqui.

So... no Scott, no Jean, no Wolverine... Just a bunch of B and C level mutants? This movie is going to have to work very hard to sell itself.

Backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #50
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
To the general audience Scott was a dick and a wuss, and Jean was the evil ***** who killed Xavier and 100 other people. If the movie is good and gets great reviews people will see it because its X-MEN. It's a proven franchise. Even when its bad they flock to see it.
Nope. I've talked to many people who were sympathetic to Jean. ALL GA members. She would've sold the film. Scott is considered cool by kids because he shoots laser beams from his eyes.

The film is going the wrong way, entirely. It needed Scott, Jean, and Storm.