The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #51
Chrono

Default Re: HOT!!! New Interview w/ Bryan Singer! (August 20th)

I was excited for this movie, but now I'm not. Cutting out Cyclops and Jean means I won't go see this. Meh. At this point just reboot the franchise and give the rights back to Marvel.

Chrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #52
samsnee
Side-Kick

I am utterly confused as well, since it sounds like Wolverine 2 is definitely happening.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #53
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Bats View Post
this is starting to give off the same vibe as SR did in terms of "vague continuity."

is First Class a true reboot? Is it a prequel to the other X-films ( all of them )? Is it a vague prequel that ignores Wolverine and X3 and picks and chooses parts of X1 and X2?
I don't think he would pick and choose X1 and X2 apart. The difference with Superman is that Singer actually wrote those X movies.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #54
Backdrifter
Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος

At this point, I would like to see Marvel retain it's rights to the X-Men and let the Fox versions die.

Backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #55
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
Nope. I've talked to many people who were sympathetic to Jean. ALL GA members. She would've sold the film. Scott is considered cool by kids because he shoots laser beams from his eyes.

The film is going the wrong way, entirely. It needed Scott, Jean, and Storm.
That must be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And I'm a massive Jean fan.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #56
psyonic
X-Man

AICN just updated the article and it says:

"Oh, I just remembered, I asked Singer when we can expect our first look at some of the costumes and the look they're going for and he told me to expect something in about a month, if not sooner. So seems like we'll begin to have a clue pretty soon."

So in a month we'll get our first look at costumes!

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #57
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wrong. So wrong. 125 million budgeted films BOMB all the time.

Comic book movies with name brands BOMB all the time. So, sorry, but this has a strong chance of bombing with no recognizable characters that the general audience would go see a movie for in it.
No X-Men film has bombed to date. Even the first film made $300 million. Hell Wolverine made nearly $400 million and it was all over the internet a month before its release. The X-Men brand it bigger than 2 characters. It's even bigger than just Wolverine (X2 and X3 made more than his solo outing).

The chances of X-Men: First Class making back its budget is high, based on the success of the X-Men franchise. Movies are released all the time and people don't have a clue who the characters are beforehand.

Last edited by Electrix; 08-20-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #58
JP
Smelly

I guess it would have made more people happy if the went with the studio bought Josh Schwartz paint by numbers script and just hired a no name director to shoot it.. like Fox usually does.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #59
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
That must be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And I'm a massive Jean fan.
Nope. You're a massive Jean film in denial because of her portrayal in Last Stand. Alot of people who saw that were saying things like ''Oh, I hated to see Jean do those things."

Jean is recognizable by the GA now. I'm so sorry, but she WOULD have helped this film way more than Beast, Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique. There's no one in this movie that will draw a GA audience members attention.

JustABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #60
Backdrifter
Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος

Yes, Electrix... the reason they were successful was because the X-Men were actually in them... not the C team.

Backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #61
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Gotta hand it to JP. I disagreed with him immensely about the idea of certain xmen not being in this flick.

And now my excitement has dropped dramatically. It'll probably be good, but I wont obsessively check up on pre production...

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #62
JP
Smelly

Remember when the Star Wars prequels bombed because Luke, Leah, Han Solo, and Chewy weren't in it?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #63
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
To the general audience Scott was a dick and a wuss, and Jean was the evil ***** who killed Xavier and 100 other people. This is all I read every day when checking out X-men related tweets on twitter.

If the movie is good and gets great reviews people will see it because its X-MEN. It's a proven franchise. Even when its bad they flock to see it.

I love how all of a sudden Scott and Jean are the biggest X-Men ever and are what people went to see in the movie in the first place. As if Xavier, Magneto, Beast, Emma and Mystique aren't recognizable.
I saw X-Men in 2000 having never read a single X-Men comic or watched a single X-Men cartoon, I and didn't know who the hell Jean and Scott were before I saw the movie. I'm fairly positive I'm not the only one, since most people I know don't read comic books but love those movies.

Since the movie will take place in the 60s, and since a good chunk of the audience are people like me who were first introduced to the characters in the first film, most of them will likely assume that neither of those characters were born yet.

Comic fans won't like it (but are they ever happy?), but the general audience probably won't care one way or the other.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #64
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
AICN just updated the article and it says:

"Oh, I just remembered, I asked Singer when we can expect our first look at some of the costumes and the look they're going for and he told me to expect something in about a month, if not sooner. So seems like we'll begin to have a clue pretty soon."

So in a month we'll get our first look at costumes!
That's probably the USA Today story a1ant posted about yesterday, I think.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #65
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdrifter View Post
Yes, Electrix... the reason they were successful was because the X-Men were actually in them... not the C team.
Exactly. Ninety percent of the mutants cast are C List characters in the X-Men at best. The most recognizable faces left are completely recast and they were all the people that Singer cast brilliantly in his trilogy. People are going to see this movie and shrug it off.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #66
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Quote:
Remember when the Star Wars prequels bombed because Luke, Leah, Han Solo, and Chewy weren't in it?

That's WAY different and such a terrible example it isn't funny. DARTH VADER, the central character of the whole damn saga was still present.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #67
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Nope. You're a massive Jean film in denial because of her portrayal in Last Stand. Alot of people who saw that were saying things like ''Oh, I hated to see Jean do those things."

Jean is recognizable by the GA now. I'm so sorry, but she WOULD have helped this film way more than Beast, Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique. There's no one in this movie that will draw a GA audience members attention.
No, I am NOT in denial. Why would I say that about I character I love. If anything it bothers me that most people feel that way despite what I felt was a decent attempt at showing she was not in control.

I search twitter multiple times a day every day (that's how I continue to find most scoops on the film) and I constantly read people say things like "Watching X-Men 3, damn Jean is a *****" or "God, I hate Jean in X3".

The fact is, Wolverine and Storm where the heavy hitters of the first three films and the characters used in all promos. Obviously neither of them would ever be in a proper first class any way. To say that Jean and Scott, two characters who weren't all that present in the trilogy) somehow have a bigger presence than Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, or Beast is silly.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #68
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I saw X-Men in 2000 having never read a single X-Men comic or watched a single X-Men cartoon, I and didn't know who the hell Jean and Scott were before I saw the movie. I'm fairly positive I'm not the only one, since most people I know don't read comic books but love those movies.

Since the movie will take place in the 60s, and since a good chunk of the audience are people like me who were first introduced to the characters in the first film, most of them will likely assume that neither of those characters were born yet.

Comic fans won't like it (but are they ever happy?), but the general audience probably won't care one way or the other.
the general audience will probably be wondering where Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is and why he's not in the movie.....lol

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #69
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
That's probably the USA Today story a1ant posted about yesterday, I think.
Well then this just confirms it, doesn't it?

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #70
JP
Smelly

Quote:
That's WAY different and such a terrible example it isn't funny. DARTH VADER, the central character of the whole damn saga was still present.
Yeah, and XAVIER AND MAGNETO are still present in this.

Why is Star Wars a bad example? Did they not make money?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #71
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
the general audience will probably be wondering where Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is and why he's not in the movie.....lol
Probably, which is why it sounds like they're suddenly racing to get Wolverine 2 started.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #72
JP
Smelly

Quote:
This.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #73
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Quote:
Yeah, and XAVIER AND MAGNETO are still present in this.

Why is Star Wars a bad example? Did they not make money?
Star Wars has such a huge amount of Hype the X-Men will NEVER have. There were years upon years of rumors of more Star Wars films before the prequels happened.

Xavier and Magneto are barely in the same league in the X-Men films as Anakin/Darth Vader in the Star Wars films.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #74
JP
Smelly

I guess I should stop reading X-Men comics since my two favorite characters are currently dead. One of which has been dead for years. I should also quit reading any X-book where Cyclops isn't the leader, cause it's just not X-men apparently.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #75
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Quote:
I guess I should stop reading X-Men comics since my two favorite characters are currently dead. One of which has been dead for years. I should also quit reading any X-book where Cyclops isn't the leader, cause it's just not X-men apparently.
The books and the movies are TWO different creatures all together. So don't go there. What sells in a comic, won't sell in a movie.

If a book came out with the characters currently announced as a team. It'd be cancelled after five issues for not selling.