The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #26
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Default Re: continuity is looking bad

After reading the Singer interview, I am losing any enthusiasm for this film. They are not obviously holding to the movie continuity, since it will take place in the 60's and include Emma Frost (according to Singer) which conflicts with Wolverine Origins, nor to the comics, since only Beast of the original 5 seems to be in this film and Havok is in it and not "older brother" Cyclops (WTF???????). And Azazel-why in the hell is he in this film???? I'll have to wait until Marvel regains rights to the franchise before I am going to see an X Men film done right.

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #27
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
How about we watch the movie, and then complain?
Or just shut down any threads that raises concerns about the direction of the film.

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #28
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #29
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I still don't get why people are so hung up on comic book time line and movie-verse time line.

They are two different universes/continuities people!

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #30
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
I still don't get why people are so hung up on comic book time line and movie-verse time line.

They are two different universes/continuities people!
It's not just the comics its between the films themselves.

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #31
BMM
Side-Kick

I doubt the general audience is going to care about any of these minor inconsistencies.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #32
Stripesy Strip
Eat That, Jimmy Olsen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClareToo View Post
After reading the Singer interview, I am losing any enthusiasm for this film. They are not obviously holding to the movie continuity, since it will take place in the 60's and include Emma Frost (according to Singer) which conflicts with Wolverine Origins, nor to the comics, since only Beast of the original 5 seems to be in this film and Havok is in it and not "older brother" Cyclops (WTF???????). And Azazel-why in the hell is he in this film???? I'll have to wait until Marvel regains rights to the franchise before I am going to see an X Men film done right.
It's the conception of the X-Men. How they came to be. How Xavier created this thing.

And as far as I know they never refered to the girl in Wolverine as Emma Frost.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #33
goh78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripesy Strip View Post
And as far as I know they never refered to the girl in Wolverine as Emma Frost.
This is what I was thinking. The only time (I think) they mentioned her name was in those incredibly half-assed :30 character vignettes that came out like 4 days before that piece of s--t movie opened. I think her vignette was actually longer than her screen time in the film itself. Gotta love Fox.

But yeah, as confusing as it is, I think it's safe to say X3 and Wolverine's continuity are both out; but as someone said eaerlier, I thought Prof X said Jean and Scott were his 'first students' in X1. I guess technically, they will hold him to that wording exactly and this new team won't be 'his' but his and Magneto's, etc, etc.

I suppose questions like these aren't really a bother to the studio when it's a small fraction of the audience asking them, and that small fraction is pretty much a guaranteed ticket purchase.

goh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #34
Heffer Wolf
going for the bronze...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Its the internet, thats not allowed. Complain first, then threaten to boycott the movie, then see the movie, then complain some more.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #35
Squidboy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffer Wolf View Post
Its the internet, thats not allowed. Complain first, then threaten to boycott the movie, then see the movie, then complain some more.
Also, buy the DVD/Blu-Ray, then complain about lack of bonus material.

Squidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #36
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

Im actually glad they are not sticking with the continuity, wolverine origins sucked, and the last stand was horrible. So im glad they are making this its own movie, i have hope for this film, although its not the highest of hope i still think its gonna be better then the wolverine trash were getting.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #37
J.Howlett

In the first film, Xavier says "Cyclops, Storm, and Jean were SOME of my first students." That's the direct line.

This film isn't counting X3 and Wolverine. And if so, the continuity isn't screwed up. Wolverine did it the worse by including Scott at the age he was at in the end of the film.

X-Men takes place in the year 2000 (year of release). Scott's at least 26-30 in that film. But the Scott in Wolverine is at least 16-18 years old and it's clearly in the early '80's at the end of the film. Add twenty years to that using Wolverine continuity and Scott's suppose to be at least 36-38 in the first X-Men film...which he clearly isn't.

Singer and Vaughn aren't counting X3 and Wolverine.

The Jean origin at the beginning of X3 doesn't work with this storyline either. It clearly takes place in the '80's...yet Xavier's still walking around and is still friends with Erik. From what the storyline of First Class sounds like, he'll be in a wheel chair much, much earlier than what was shown in the Jean origin.

Last edited by J.Howlett; 08-21-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #38
Anubis
Sup?

Eh, messed up Continuity? That's pretty much par for the course when dealing with the X-Men.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #39
Angamb
Banned User

I hate the mistakes of continuity, but if Bryan and Matthew make an amazing movie, I wont care anymore.

Emma and Scott shouldnt have been on Wolverine, so Ill take it as they never were there.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #40
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
In the first film, Xavier says "Cyclops, Storm, and Jean were SOME of my first students." That's the direct line.

This film isn't counting X3 and Wolverine. And if so, the continuity isn't screwed up. Wolverine did it the worse by including Scott at the age he was at in the end of the film.

X-Men takes place in the year 2000 (year of release). Scott's at least 26-30 in that film. But the Scott in Wolverine is at least 16-18 years old and it's clearly in the early '80's at the end of the film. Add twenty years to that using Wolverine continuity and Scott's suppose to be at least 36-38 in the first X-Men film...which he clearly isn't.

Err....no. X1 and X2 take place in a not-too-distant future of 2004. A date on a TV news report says 2004. Xavier says Wolverine has been roaming with no memory for 15 years, which means the end of Wolverine was in 1989 (15 years earlier than 2004).

Scott was 16 in Wolverine and thus, 15 years later, was 31 in X1/X2. If we say he was 18, that makes him 33. Either seems about right.

Also worth noting that the X3 novelisation says it takes place in 2005, so the next year after the events of X2. This makes sense, as Scott is still grieving/depressed and it's just about feasible that a change of president and a Dept of mutant affairs could happen within that year. If we say the wintry setting of Alkali lake in X2 as January/February 2004 and the more verdant, summery Alkali Lake of X3 was July/August 2005, then there would be 18 months between the two films

Quote:
Singer and Vaughn aren't counting X3 and Wolverine.
Possible, but foolish as they are the more recent films.

Quote:
The Jean origin at the beginning of X3 doesn't work with this storyline either. It clearly takes place in the '80's...yet Xavier's still walking around and is still friends with Erik. From what the storyline of First Class sounds like, he'll be in a wheel chair much, much earlier than what was shown in the Jean origin.
Oddly, Vaughn is said to have written that scene. The opening scene of X3 is set in 1985, so it seems it (and also Xavier walking at the end of Wolverine) will be contradicted unless the movie leaps forward.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #41
QWoods
Side-Kick

How is Emma who was with Scott when saved by Xavier in the movie......but Scott's not........is Scott on Muir Island or something is he being worked with alone just like Jean wtf is this!!!

Will this team of mutants be kidnapped and then JEAN, SCOTT AND STORM come in and save them.

What is UP!!! This movie comes out on my bday and I'm not looking to pleased

QWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #42
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Does anyone know why they're leaving out Cyclops and Jean?

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #43
J.Howlett

The end of Wolverine doesn't take place in 1989. The opening credits of that film have him in Vietnam. That early to mid '70's. Flashforward a few years and you're still in the early '80's at film's end. If Scott is 16 in Wolverine and the first X-Men film is set in 2004, Scott's mid to late 30's in that film, which clearly he is not.

I'm not even remotely convinced Wolverine takes place in the late '80's.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #44
Ziggyman
Scar Jo = Ziggywoman

Let's just pretend Origins:Wolverine never happened...

H
a ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ho ehehe ahaha hoo hehaha, It's a funny world we live in!

Daddy's a jackass! Yes, run along now, junior -Conan O'brien

Now
In Colour!
Ziggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #45
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Wolverine ends with the Three Mile Island accident in 1979.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #46
J.Howlett

Yeah, Vietnam ends in '75. After Logan leaves the team, it jumps 6 years ahead and then we get the rest of the film. So basically, at the latest, it's 1982. 16 years plus 22 years and Scott's 38 in X-Men

No way.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #47
Karelia
We Are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post

Seriously, I was kinda iffy about this film when I first heard about it. But all the information given out in the past few days, yikes. No Cyclops or Jean Grey? Really? I'm really thinking this could be the CBM that ruins the rest of them.

But I honestly hope I'm way wrong and it's a great movie. I just haven't heard anything that has sounded interesting or anything to get excited about.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #48
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

Do we even know the school is around in first class? It could lead into the school and all that at the end? Maybe thats the approach theyll take seeing as jean and cyclops wont be in it

Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #49
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

yea comic timeline is irrelevant everything is always retconned to fit. so i wouldnt worry about continuity, just enjoy the spectacle.

as said in other threads this will just show magneto and xavier, who probably formed a team then brokeup after their obvious differences. then go onto form the x-men and brotherhood. i would assume they show them build cerebro.

Last edited by misjuevos; 08-21-2010 at 11:52 PM.
misjuevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #50
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Wolverine ends with the Three Mile Island accident in 1979.
No, that's wrong. The Three Mile Island accident did not result in a cooling tower collapsing as it did in the film.

When Gambit takes Wolverine to the island, the hint is that the accident has already happened and that is what's keeping people away from the island and allowing Stryker to conduct his experiments there in secret.