The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #51
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,892
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
The end of Wolverine doesn't take place in 1989. The opening credits of that film have him in Vietnam. That early to mid '70's. Flashforward a few years and you're still in the early '80's at film's end. If Scott is 16 in Wolverine and the first X-Men film is set in 2004, Scott's mid to late 30's in that film, which clearly he is not.

I'm not even remotely convinced Wolverine takes place in the late '80's.
No, not correct. Wolverine was recruited to Team X at the end of Vietnam, in 1975. But he must have then gone on many missions with Team X - he clearly knew the members when we saw the mission in Lagos and he must have been with them some time in order to get fed up with what they were doing.

In addition, the deleted scene for him leaving Team X has an eight-year-old Storm in it. That places it in the 80s in order for Storm to be the correct age (in her 20s or early 30s) in the later films. Plus, the Nigerian diamond market was at its height in the 80s.

If the end of Wolverine was in 1989 and it was immediately after kayla's death, and a line on screen said 'six years later' when he was with Kayla, then he left Team X in 1983. This then means he was with Team X for eight years. That is feasible - we may only have seen one mission but clearly he went on more than one.

Your calculations are totally off.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, CA:TWS 7/10, GoTG 7.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #52
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,892
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

1975 - Wolverine recruited to Team X as Vietnam war ends

1983 - Wolverine quits Team X after mission to Lagos (deleted scene shows Storm aged 8)

1983-1989 - Wolverine settles in Rockies, becomes logger and meets Kayla

1989 - Kayla 'killed', Wolverine seeks revenge, finds Stryker, Cyclops and co rescued by Xavier

2004 - first X-men film, with X2 set only a few months later (Storm would be aged 29)

2005 - events of the Last Stand (Storm aged 30)

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, CA:TWS 7/10, GoTG 7.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #53
J.Howlett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Maniac,

How the heck do you know it's '83 when Logan leaves Team X? I hated the film with a passion but I did pay attention and I don't think that's ever mentioned or shown. You also can't use a deleted scene to advance your argument because it's deleted. It was technically an alternate version of a scene in the film, not necessarily deleted.

As for how long Wolverine was with Team X, it could've been anywhere from a year to six years but the film never specifies....

Not to mention, I discount Wolverine on principle because the experiment didn't match what Singer did in the flashback in X2.


Last edited by J.Howlett; 08-22-2010 at 02:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #54
Norm3
Side-Kick
 
Norm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 714
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Who care about Singers version of continuity. I want a new reboot with the original Marvel X-Men Comic Book continuity!

__________________
Its his RAGE not his size!!!!!!!!!!
Norm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #55
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,610
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

The timneline for Wolverine should be viewed this way

early 1970's-Stryker recruits Wolverine and Sabretooth

Late 70's-Wolverine leaves team X

Mid 80's-The rest of wolverine

It Is very easy to ignore the girl who was suspose to be Emma In Wolverine.
Just call her Silverfox's sister.

Now First Class major problems with fitting In with Wolverine and The Last Stand are this.

Moira mactaggert Is reportly being portrayed In her twenties In First Class.
This doesn't fit with Moira In The Last Stand.

Xavier crippled In First Class yet In both the beging of The Last Stand and ending of Wolverine he Is still walking

Magneto Is with Xavier when he visits Jean's House at begining of the Last stand and yet First Class shows his faling out with Magneto.

Unless the films only begins In the 1960's and some scenes are In the 1980's
you can't connect The Last Stand and Wolverine with First Class.And when
wolverine 2 comes out are we suspose to consider It and not not the first
film showing the pre X-Men 1 adventres of Wolverine or are the wolverine films like Deadpool(assuming It gets made) suspose to be In a seperate contunity from First Class,X-Men,and X2?

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #56
conan69
Cimmerian
 
conan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,026
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Timelines dont have to be exact, but should be close IMHO. Im not gonna make a big deal about discrepencies of a few years.

Moira and Mystique are the ones that a sticking out to me as errors here compared to whats been established. Even if the characters in this film are portrayed as teens, it would make them too old for the versions weve already seen in the established trilogy.

Kennedys presidency and the tme of the film was 40+years ago. Unless you ignore Wolverine, youve got about 20 years, give or take, between when this film takes place and Cyclops joins up with Xavier.

__________________


Last edited by conan69; 08-22-2010 at 02:33 PM.
conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #57
J.Howlett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

But it wasn't technically in the film, the one that got released in the theatres...the one that's viewed by everyone on home video.

I guess that's just me but I don't count deleted material, even if it was scripted. The film is the film and in Wolverine, Storm wasn't in it.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #58
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,892
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Maniac,

How the heck do you know it's '83 when Logan leaves Team X? I hated the film with a passion but I did pay attention and I don't think that's ever mentioned or shown. You also can't use a deleted scene to advance your argument because it's deleted. It was technically an alternate version of a scene in the film, not necessarily deleted.

As for how long Wolverine was with Team X, it could've been anywhere from a year to six years but the film never specifies....

Not to mention, I discount Wolverine on principle because the experiment didn't match what Singer did in the flashback in X2.
Well, I think my calculations work out pretty well. If X1 and X2 were in 2004 (date shown on TV news bulletin), then 15 years prior to that is 1989.

The alternative take with young Storm may be deleted (as Storm didn't recall having previously met Wolverine, in X1) but it still gives us clues, as Storm is stated to be aged eight in that scene.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, CA:TWS 7/10, GoTG 7.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #59
J.Howlett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Or how about Wolverine screwed the whole thing up when it didn't need to. I mean, we're talking about a film that doesn't match the specifics of Wolverine's origins with X2...which is where the idea of the origin film came from.

In the flashback, he loses his memory during the experiment. In Wolverine, the great "adamantium bullets" erase his memory.

I'm going with the Singer version...

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #60
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 44,999
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

I have no problem whatsoever if this movie doesn't follow the continuity of Origins. That movie was just a mess from beginning to end anyway.

__________________
Pomp and Circumstance【Mikasa & Annie】
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #61
Randal Graves
Side-Kick
 
Randal Graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,518
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Uh... XO: Wolverine threw continuity out the window already.

__________________

Randal Graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #62
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick
 
flavio_lebeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brazil
Posts: 5,298
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Or how about Wolverine screwed the whole thing up when it didn't need to. I mean, we're talking about a film that doesn't match the specifics of Wolverine's origins with X2...which is where the idea of the origin film came from.

In the flashback, he loses his memory during the experiment. In Wolverine, the great "adamantium bullets" erase his memory.

I'm going with the Singer version...
heck they didn't even follow the design of the scene. Singer's version is so much better in every single way.

flavio_lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #63
Randal Graves
Side-Kick
 
Randal Graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,518
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavio_lebeau View Post
heck they didn't even follow the design of the scene. Singer's version is so much better in every single way.
I loved the flashback scene. With the doctors/scientists wearing masks and Wolverine screaming with blood all over him. AWESOME.

__________________

Randal Graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #64
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,610
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Remember Bryan singer while not a comic book fan originally came with great fondness for scif i fantasy.And after becoming involed with X-Men went back and read the comics and watched the 90's animated series.He probally learned more than eather Brett Ratner or gavin Hood combined know.Plus we have added plus because matthew Vaughn was already a fan before back before he almost did the Last Stand.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #65
Hellion
The Hype's Disney XD Fan
 
Hellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Down In The Lab...
Posts: 5,160
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
No, not correct. Wolverine was recruited to Team X at the end of Vietnam, in 1975. But he must have then gone on many missions with Team X - he clearly knew the members when we saw the mission in Lagos and he must have been with them some time in order to get fed up with what they were doing.

In addition, the deleted scene for him leaving Team X has an eight-year-old Storm in it. That places it in the 80s in order for Storm to be the correct age (in her 20s or early 30s) in the later films. Plus, the Nigerian diamond market was at its height in the 80s.

If the end of Wolverine was in 1989 and it was immediately after kayla's death, and a line on screen said 'six years later' when he was with Kayla, then he left Team X in 1983. This then means he was with Team X for eight years. That is feasible - we may only have seen one mission but clearly he went on more than one.

Your calculations are totally off.
I placed the end of Wolverine in the late 80's myself...partly based on what Stryker says in X2 hows its been 15 years...with that also assuming the film (X2) takes place roughly around the time it was released...

...I wish the timeline of events was explained in a little more detail in Wolverine...

__________________
On 10/19/2014:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Hellion, just curious... How well do you think you'd do in a death-match here? Who do you think would vote for you?
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 AM   #66
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!
 
misjuevos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 4,162
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

what was the deal with the weapon x project. i thought it was supposed to be all canadian. they did all this. now turns out its the us government.

__________________
"fear should not exist in your mind, if you fear you will never accomplish anything"
misjuevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #67
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,902
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

alot of people are saying they are proberly gonna forget last stand and origins, but it being FOX do we really think FOX are gonna give them control over the continuity? esp when they are still making wolverine movies, i think they are bound to make a fuss worrying people will care less for the wolverine movies

GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #68
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
No, that's wrong. The Three Mile Island accident did not result in a cooling tower collapsing as it did in the film.
No, he's quite right, and you're quite wrong. The end of the movie was three mile island, just like the beginning coincided with the end of the Vietnam War (no later than 1978).

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #69
FaT_tONle
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En Mi Casa
Posts: 14,549
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
The end of Wolverine doesn't take place in 1989. The opening credits of that film have him in Vietnam. That early to mid '70's. Flashforward a few years and you're still in the early '80's at film's end. If Scott is 16 in Wolverine and the first X-Men film is set in 2004, Scott's mid to late 30's in that film, which clearly he is not.

I'm not even remotely convinced Wolverine takes place in the late '80's.
Your not even talking about a decade difference here. And the timeline is never clearly specified. The Xavier walking in the 80's thing is the only real issue I see, but again, that could happen really late into the movie, hopefully while he is bald. That and Moira's age from TLS, which was a cameo... As far as Scott's age, he still wouldn't even be 40 in the OT according to your time line. Hardly something that completely alters the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
No, he's quite right, and you're quite wrong. The end of the movie was three mile island, just like the beginning coincided with the end of the Vietnam War (no later than 1978).
I don't recall the Three Mile accident ending with a tower collapsing.


Last edited by FaT_tONle; 08-23-2010 at 05:30 PM.
FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #70
Deaths Head II
The Sequel
 
Deaths Head II's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,079
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

I think Professor X being crippled will determine whether or not this is a reboot for me. If he gets crippled in the 60s, then it can't be in continuity with Wolverine or X3.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Ellis
Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #71
FaT_tONle
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En Mi Casa
Posts: 14,549
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Because of a pair of 5 second scenes with Xavier walking in the 80's? Like people remember that aspect? There are going to be inconsistencies with any series. Star Wars had PLENTY of them. That's not enough to say it's a complete reboot. Like Wolverine, it is a loose prequel that stands on its own.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #72
Deaths Head II
The Sequel
 
Deaths Head II's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,079
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

No, there is also the opening from X3. I think people would remember the opening to that movie, especially since it was a big deal when it was first shown because of the deaging thing. That scene depends on the entire film not taking place in the 60s because Xavier and Magneto are still friends. Unless you claim Jean is like 40 years old.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Ellis
Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #73
FaT_tONle
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En Mi Casa
Posts: 14,549
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

I said a pair of scenes. Even then, they showed him getting out of the car and taking like two steps. Maybe the accident will happen and it will be a gradual paralysis; we just have no idea yet. Even if it happens in the 60's, those two scenes were very brief. It's not enough to classify it a complete reboot. You can find equally glaring discrepancies in Wolverine and that ain't a reboot.

And consider this, what if there is some magic potion Xavier takes in a sequel where he is walking again for a brief time, then relapses from what seemed to be a miraculous recovery, ending up in the chair for the rest of his life. We won't know that until 2014ish, so I guess you'll be waiting a while before making a decision on what you think this movie is. And if we don't get a sequel, then you just have to assume something like that may or may not have happened.


Last edited by FaT_tONle; 08-23-2010 at 06:22 PM.
FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #74
Deaths Head II
The Sequel
 
Deaths Head II's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,079
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

A quasi-reboot though yes. I will consider it a quasi reboot that ignores anything the non-Singer films mentioned in regards to Xavier's early years.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Ellis
Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #75
FaT_tONle
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En Mi Casa
Posts: 14,549
Default Re: continuity is looking bad

Now we are getting into semantics. I guess you can define it whatever way you want, but a reboot doesn't go half way. A reboot has nothing to do with anything previously. Quasi-prequel/sequel makes more sense, but again, I just don't see enough evidence that they are completely throwing out TLS and Origins. Havoc's inclusion may very well be to setup that Scott/Xavier meeting in Wolverine.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.