The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Should Cyclops be replaced with Havok (along with Jean Grey)?
Keep them both in, having Havok as a villain for the movie 12 21.05%
Just keep Cyclops in; after all, it is First Class 32 56.14%
Keep Havok; no Cyclops please 9 15.79%
Get rid of them both 4 7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #101
TheShah
Qwixotic Co-Creator

Default Re: No Cyclops; Reaction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC9852002 View Post
lol...This is the perfect example of how fans can have such a negative influence on a movie..

I keep bringing this up too--How can people accept the premise of this movie which centers on Magneto and Xavier's early years, but complain that they didn't squeeze in characters that probably don't need to be there but should just because they're popular? We don't want another Gambit situation do we?

I don't care that Cyclops isn't in this movie because I accept the premise of the movie.
Thank you.

I'm super ****ing giddy about finally being able to see the Xavier/Magneto relationship unfold in it's early years in a movie.

Handled well it might even end up enhancing those two character's mythos even in the comic universe... similar to what SMALLVILLE did for Lex/Clark.

TheShah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #102
TheShah
Qwixotic Co-Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
That's exactly what the cast list is giving us; a laundry list of mutants who really have no place in an Xavier/Magneto story. Admittedly the stories about Xavier and Magneto pre-X-Men #1 are interesting, but why not actually, I dunno, use characters from those stories.

Mr. Sinister, The Shadow King, Lucifer, Baron Von Strucker, Cassandra Nova, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Amelia Voight, Legion, young Ororo Monroe...all could have a place in this story, but they choose to throw in an extremely random who's who cast...just like Wolverine.

It's the same WTF factor as having Cyclops and Gambit randomly show up in Wolverine: Origins.
Sinister, Shadow Kin, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Ororo have had their own long arcing storylines and complicated origins and back story that would at least need to be briefly mentioned if they were introduced in the movie.
But then you'd have a FIRST CLASS movie consisting of bits and pieces of back stories and cheesy hints and foreshadowing based on those characters histories, etc.

I'm not as embedded into the history of the Marvel U as others on this site, but safe to say that if I haven't heard or know a lot about the characters featured in this movie, then the average joe won't either.
Therefore, maybe they've picked more smaller and less well known mutants to mold their stories into an Xavier/Magneto storyline without raping major characters?

I guess we'll have to wait and watch.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #103
TheShah
Qwixotic Co-Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
You just used the Ultimate Universe as an excuse for certain changes. Well, Havok is older than Scott in the Ultimate-U.

I can't.. and get this, it's because.... I HAVEN'T SEE THE MOVIE YET. I know, I know. Pretty crazy.

Really? I see it as a way to pay homage and create a link to Cyclops in a movie that is obviously unable to use him.

Well in this case, and this my my own opinion, your judgment is bad. To target all the changes in the X-Men movies and use it as a reason to suggest Fox should stop making them and then praise Marvel despite them making many changes as well is nothing more than hypocritical. You know that WB makes changes as well, right? And Sony, etc.

Seriously??
I didn't even know that.

Maybe they're culling that element from the comic-verse for the film-verse then!
How did no one else realize that....?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #104
TheShah
Qwixotic Co-Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Black Widow wasnt Russian
Tony wasn't an alcoholic

But I think you can overlook other things and bash others
Didn't I hear somewhere the original Black Widow was Russian?
Or the one in the Ultimate Marvel U?
And I'm pretty sure there was an arc with Tony Stark dealing with alcoholism and all that.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #105
david icke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShah View Post
And I'm pretty sure there was an arc with Tony Stark dealing with alcoholism and all that.

Correct me if I'm wrong?
Yeah, in that X-Men comic from the early 90s, that showed a flashback to Madripoor during World War II(feat Logan, Cap America, Black Widow), the young Black Widow is reffered to as the 'young Tsarinna', so I don't know if she was supposed to be a daughter of the Russian Tsar who escaped the assasination(like what was rumoured to have happened in real life), or whether it was just a term of affection like 'princess'. either way it indicates her heritage as Russian.

and yeah, 616 Stark was a full blown alcoholic in the comics, they dealt with this in the books in the 80s, not sure about after that.

david icke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #106
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong?
Tony was an alcoholic...they did an 9 or 10 issue story titled the Demon in the Bottle or the Demon Within or something like that.

And yes, Black Widow was Russian.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #107
david icke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Tony was an alcoholic...they did an 9 or 10 issue story titled the Demon in the Bottle or the Demon Within or something like that.
Even apart from that Demon in a Bottle arc they collected, there were ongoing refs to his problem, I have a couple of IM books from the 80s, and he talks to his gf of the time about how it's her that's keeping him off the bottle.
Which is probably not too healthy, lol.
that is actually something they do not encourage in AA, that people get dependant on a relaionship to keep them sober, because if the bottom falls out from that, the top is going to come off of the bottle.

edit: as for no Cyclops, I can wait until the next movie for that, no big deal. I would rather have a movie that focused on him and Jean than have him overshadowed again by the Xavier/Magneto split in this one. And it will be nice to have a set of new mutants for this one, even Beast will feel new as he is not all blue and hairy.

Last edited by david icke; 08-25-2010 at 10:23 AM.
david icke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #108
TheWatcher
Dapper

My reaction=
My reaction to knowing about the 60's setting=Ohhhhh sequel time

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #109
x-fan
Side-Kick

I didn't read this whole thread so I don't know if this was said. He was screwed in 3 movies why would anyone expect that they wouldn't screw him again(this coming from a non fan of Cyke.) If they are calling this First class then it should be about the original five, if it is not about them but instead X and mags then call it xmen orgins with nothing after it since it is really about the Idea of the x-men, not the first class of them.

x-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #110
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

I actually agree since it doesn't sound like the First Class is really the focus and even if there is a First Class I imagine it won't be fully formed until near the end. I would change the title to X-Men Origins or X-Men: The Origin. It would also would clear up a lot of the expectations for this film to have been about any of the comic First Class members. They basically merged the dead concept for Magneto and the abandoned concept for First Class so they should have just announced it as a brand new film made on the ashes of those two films.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #111
Panthro
Catman Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzah View Post
Oooohhhh, if only! If onlleeeeee!!

Scenes like this turned me onto the 90s cartoon and NOT the films.
That particular scene was just one of many things that got me to hate Wolverine when I first started getting into X-Men, back when I was about 8. I always wanted to see Cyclops blast the crap out of the little bastard (or at least punch him in the mouth), and when I finally got to see that, it came in the unfortunate form of Wolverine & the X-Men, which being a masturbation marathon for Wolverine (and occasionally throwing a bone to the Nightcrawler fans), naturally screwed Cyclops over by making him the "villain". He would have been better off being put on a bus to Kansas and never brought back.

Anyhow, I find the exclusion of Cyclops from this alleged "First Class" film odd but given their penchant for screwing him over I'm not entirely surprised. At this point I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that they'll never do justice to Cyclops in our lifetime, if ever. Even if Cyclops is featured in an FC-sequel and we see him lead and save the day without Wolverine being there to steal the limelight from him, it really won't mean diddly squat because, if they stick with the film-verse as it is, he'll still end up getting killed like a D-lister, by his girlfriend no less, with no one to mourn him either. Until we get a full on reboot, there will be no justice for Cyclops.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #112
Squidboy
Side-Kick

My inner fanboy would really just like this film to be called X-Men Origins, with the sequel being called X-Men: First Class, when Scott, Jean, and Storm are thrown into the mix. I'm not trying to sound like one of those whiny posters who demands that Iceman and Angel be thrown into the movie to meet the comicbook's continuity (no mention of Sage, though.. guess nobody wants to accept that as continuity), but I think those three are a very huge part of who the X-Men are, and to keep them out of this just doesn't feel like the 'first class' that the fans were led on to believe for all these years. I had the idea in my head that Cyke, Storm, and Jean were all bright eyed students who Xavier took in and trained, and then when Beast came into the picture in the third film, I bought that he was there in the beginning too. But to cut three of those characters out just throws my previous conceptions out the door. I dunno, minor gripe, really. It's just the equivalent of reading all the Harry Potter books, only for Rowling to release a prequel that reveals that Harry's folks never died, but instead entered witness relocation to provide Harry a semi-normal life.

Squidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #113
Blackman
King Kong

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong?
I was talking about in the movies

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #114
Blackman
King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidboy View Post
My inner fanboy would really just like this film to be called X-Men Origins, with the sequel being called X-Men: First Class, when Scott, Jean, and Storm are thrown into the mix. I'm not trying to sound like one of those whiny posters who demands that Iceman and Angel be thrown into the movie to meet the comicbook's continuity (no mention of Sage, though.. guess nobody wants to accept that as continuity), but I think those three are a very huge part of who the X-Men are, and to keep them out of this just doesn't feel like the 'first class' that the fans were led on to believe for all these years. I had the idea in my head that Cyke, Storm, and Jean were all bright eyed students who Xavier took in and trained, and then when Beast came into the picture in the third film, I bought that he was there in the beginning too. But to cut three of those characters out just throws my previous conceptions out the door. I dunno, minor gripe, really.
I agree, but to me its not only that Cyke and the others arent in it, but also none of these other new to the series X-Men in the film interest me

Old 09-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #115
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidboy View Post
My inner fanboy would really just like this film to be called X-Men Origins, with the sequel being called X-Men: First Class, when Scott, Jean, and Storm are thrown into the mix. I'm not trying to sound like one of those whiny posters who demands that Iceman and Angel be thrown into the movie to meet the comicbook's continuity (no mention of Sage, though.. guess nobody wants to accept that as continuity), but I think those three are a very huge part of who the X-Men are, and to keep them out of this just doesn't feel like the 'first class' that the fans were led on to believe for all these years. I had the idea in my head that Cyke, Storm, and Jean were all bright eyed students who Xavier took in and trained, and then when Beast came into the picture in the third film, I bought that he was there in the beginning too. But to cut three of those characters out just throws my previous conceptions out the door. I dunno, minor gripe, really. It's just the equivalent of reading all the Harry Potter books, only for Rowling to release a prequel that reveals that Harry's folks never died, but instead entered witness relocation to provide Harry a semi-normal life.
Indeed.

Perhaps 'X-Men Begins' would be a better title.

But it was never realistic to expect a reboot with the original five, so i am baffled as to why people thought that would happen. This smacks of a blinkered adherence to the comics.

I wonder what people would think if we learned Cyke, Jean and Storm would be in the First Class sequel after we see the school established in this first film.

It's also worth mentioning that X-Men Origins: Magneto only featured Magneto, Xavier, a CIA agent and an end-scene cameo from Senator Kelly. Some unnamed mutants were in it briefly but no Mystique, no Havok, no Banshee, no Moira.

I can, however, understand people WANTING a reboot that is more like the comics (stronger role for Cyclops etc) but I can't understand them believing that we would be getting one at this stage in this film.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #116
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

I think those people were like me in thinking that the X-Franchise is sort of in need of a reboot since Last Stand and Wolverine were both Batman and Robin type disasters for this franchise.

JustABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #117
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Indeed.

Perhaps 'X-Men Begins' would be a better title.

But it was never realistic to expect a reboot with the original five, so i am baffled as to why people thought that would happen. This smacks of a blinkered adherence to the comics.

I wonder what people would think if we learned Cyke, Jean and Storm would be in the First Class sequel after we see the school established in this first film.
Given the previous films it would be like throwing another monkey wrench into the machine. However, I feel like they're already doing this by including Havock in a First Class. I'm not sure where they're going with this.

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #118
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
I think those people were like me in thinking that the X-Franchise is sort of in need of a reboot since Last Stand and Wolverine were both Batman and Robin type disasters for this franchise.
I'm still convinced they're going to retroactively announce this as a reboot if it turns out to be a financial success. I'm sure they don't want to throw out their entire franchise out the window for a movie that might not even be successful. Especially considering since it's lacking their prime moneymaker Wolverine. I'd say it's a better decision then Sony is doing right now since they could be shooting themselves in the foot by making a flat out reboot to a series that was still making them lots of money.

As for the original five, people need to go ask themselves how many adaptations outside of the original 616 used the original team as the original team. Only one out of the three X-Men cartoons made so far did so (Wolverine and the X-Men), and it did the most disservice to the original members so obviously getting their characters right is more important then their veteran status.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #119
Blackman
King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Indeed.

It's also worth mentioning that X-Men Origins: Magneto only featured Magneto, Xavier, a CIA agent and an end-scene cameo from Senator Kelly. Some unnamed mutants were in it briefly but no Mystique, no Havok, no Banshee, no Moira.
1. Did the script for Magneto leak
2. I honestly didnt expect Mystique or the others to be in that film

Quote:
Eh as a comic fan those films were below average/bad, but B&R level IMO is being over dramatic. At least in the 2 X films the performances were decent for the most part

However I do think/want the X-Men series to be rebooted in like 5 years. Not only because of quality decline but because:
1. I just think the current continuity has run its course. After "First Class" and maybe a first Class sequel featuring Cyke and them I think the story has kind of been told within the realm of the current continuity. Because the idea of X4 and Wolverine 2 really seem pointless (X4 moreso than Wolverine).
2. I kind of wanna see the tone switched up. Singer nailed the level of seriousness that the films should have. But I wanna see even more sci fi things included. Its kind of like how I feel about the current Batman series: It's fantastic, but I can't wait until the next crew combine the level of seriousness in the current franchise and add more sci fi elements like The Danger room, Sentinels, Xavier's hoverchair, etc.
3. I wanna see a director that tackles more about the characters. Wolverine who is actually a genius and a martial arts expert, Cyclops whose actually the leader, Iceman whose cocky, Rogue whose southern. AS well as include things like Genosha, Apocalypse, maybe even the Astral. But most importantly the X-Men fighting as a team, not just arriving as a team and separating.

EDIT: It would be really weird to me if they make FC be a reboot and then the Wolverine stuff is still going on

Last edited by Blackman; 09-12-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #120
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Well, the thing is that they are not perceived as disasters on a wide enough scale (especially by the studio) to warrant such a reboot to be the only option.

X3 was intended to wrap up the trilogy because it had become unwieldy and difficult to manage - a large and very expensive cast that was hard to bring together. There was talk of prequels and spin-offs being the way forward even before X3 was released. The intention was that X3 would be the closing story, hence the dramatic things that happened in it. Wrong or right, that's what they wanted at that time.

Wolverine is getting a sequel, so clearly that's not perceived as a disaster either.

Your perception of disaster and desire for a reboot is certainly a view shared by some of the fanbase, but not an official policy or industry perception.

How realistic was it to expect this to be a reboot - and which reboot do you mean? The original five? The film's implied originals (Cyke, Jean, Storm, Beast)? Which set of students is the right one? Even the fans can't agree. Some want the original five from the comics, some want the original students as implied by the films.

However, it's worth adding that for all we know about First Class (and we don't know much) it could end up being a reboot, despite its description as a prequel. It's impossible to say exactly what they have in mind.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #121
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
1. Did the script for Magneto leak
Yes. I got hold it, and so did other people. There were reviews on several sites including my site (but Fox contacted me and made me take it off my site).

Quote:
2. I honestly didnt expect Mystique or the others to be in that film
Mystique could have been put in it as she was a spy during the Second World War. But she wasn't in it at all.

Quote:
However I do think/want the X-Men series to be rebooted in like 5 years. Not only because of quality decline but because:
1. I just think the current continuity has run its course. After "First Class" and maybe a first Class sequel featuring Cyke and them I think the story has kind of been told within the realm of the current continuity. Because the idea of X4 and Wolverine 2 really seem pointless (X4 moreso than Wolverine).
2. I kind of wanna see the tone switched up. Singer nailed the level of seriousness that the films should have. But I wanna see even more sci fi things included. Its kind of like how I feel about the current Batman series: It's fantastic, but I can't wait until the next crew combine the level of seriousness in the current franchise and add more sci fi elements like The Danger room, Sentinels, Xavier's hoverchair, etc.
3. I wanna see a director that tackles more about the characters. Wolverine who is actually a genius and a martial arts expert, Cyclops whose actually the leader, Iceman whose cocky, Rogue whose southern. AS well as include things like Genosha, Apocalypse, maybe even the Astral. But most importantly the X-Men fighting as a team, not just arriving as a team and separating.
Fair points. We could see a load of First Class films though, showing Cyke, Jean, Storm and Beast (and no Wolverine) in the years before X1.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #122
conan69
Cimmerian

Quick note, The reason why Rhodes put the Iron Man suit on for the first time during the 80s was Stark was too drunk to deal with a threat. Rhodes put the suit on and pretty much took over being Iron Man for awhile. I think that was around 1983.

So Stark having problems with alcohol was a long running thing with Iron Man, not just something that was touched upon in "a few issues".

Regarding Mystique, I guess she ages slowly as part of her mutation as well.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #123
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAvenger4 View Post
My reaction=
My reaction to knowing about the 60's setting=Ohhhhh sequel time

I had the same reaction until I found out the story. My only concerns now are with quality and continuity to the other films.

We might get first class , second class , third class and if that's the case we need Cyclops next time.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #124
Venomfan
Side-Kick

isn't cyclops supposed to be his first student? if he is thats kind of annoying that he isnt in it

Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #125
Project862006
Banned User

who says anybody in here are actual x men students since i am sure the x men team/school wont even be created till the very end

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote