The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Default This movie is gonna have tough competition.

Thor, Pirates of the Carribean IV, The Hangover 2 will all comeout shortly before First Class hits theatres Green Lantern, Captain America, Transformers 3 and Harry Potter all shortly follow. Being that it's ressurrecting a franchise that's already had four movies to it's name, I kind of think it's going to have a lot of trouble competing with some of Marvel/DCs new properties. I also think Hangover and Transformers are still popular enough to rob it of some of it's audience.

That in addition to the fact that the general public probably doesn't really care much for a X-Team as unrecognizeable as this one, I'd say it's going to be a tough sell.

Discuss.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Default Re: This movie is gonna have tough competition.

Every movie from the middle of April 2011 to the end of Summer 2011 is going to have a tough time. That summer is extremely crowded so it's not just this film that has tough competition.

JustABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Wolverine1988
Side-Kick

Yeah i agree, this is going to be a tough movie to markt and sell

No Wolverine, Cyclops,Storm etc But idk we shall see it could suprise us all and be do very well

Wolverine1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

They should just plaster Mystique all over the place. The general audience loves her. Besides her, there really isn't anyone visually iconic to the series. No white hair, no big goggles, no bald man, no claws, no red hair, no white streak.

flavio_lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Sentinel X
optical illusion

I still don't know why they want to release it in the summer. Less competition and more time to polish the movie. Its a win-win situation for both sides.

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//

Last edited by Sentinel X; 08-26-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: im like half asleep
Sentinel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Look up the middle of April to end of summer 2011. LOTS comes out next year that will take away from this film and others.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Scream 4
Three Musketeers 3-D
The Thing
Thor
Pirates 4
Hangover 2
Kung Fu Panda 2
X-Men First Class
Fast Five
Green Lantern
Cars 2
Rise of the Apes
Transformers 3
Harry Potter 7, part 2
Captain America
Cowboys and Aliens
The Smurfs
Spy Kids 4
Final Destinaton 5

All these come out from April 2011 to August 2011. It's just a crowded year next year.

Last edited by JustABill; 08-26-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
Every movie from the middle of April 2011 to the end of Summer 2011 is going to have a tough time. That summer is extremely crowded so it's not just this film that has tough competition.
Very true. Although I think the new properties like Cap, Thor and Green Lantern will do better.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

The new properties will only do well because they are known names. The multiple sequels will do well themselves I'm sure. Every sequel coming out next year is to a franchise that is either fondly remember or currently hot right now.

EDIT: With the possible exception of Final Destination and Spy Kids.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
The new properties will only do well because they are known names. The multiple sequels will do well themselves I'm sure. Every sequel coming out next year is to a franchise that is either fondly remember or currently hot right now.

EDIT: With the possible exception of Final Destination and Spy Kids.
I have a hunch Pirates could possibly tank, unless maybe it offers some visuals that are new and different. I wouldn't expect much from The Thing either. Good horror movie, not really carrying much mass appeal though. If you weren't around for the remake, or the original, then the remake of the remake probably isn't gonna grab your attention. I could see The Hangover 2 doing poorly as well. It's hard to say, but the original didn't really lend itself to a sequel, so unless they really have one good comedy left in them I could see that one being bad enough not to do well.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
TNC9852002
Banned User

Yeah, summer 2011 in general is gonna be packed. One of the best action/sci-fi summers in a few years.

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Pirates and Hangover tanking? Clearly you have no clue what you're talking about.

Hangover was the most talked about comedy in recent times, you couldn't literally go anywhere for months without someone bring it up. The sequel will do well, trust me.

Pirates will get money from the Johnny Depp fan girls alone. That's enough to guarantee that it'll be successful.

I'll give you The Thing prequel though, it has the strongest chance of all the films up there of tanking.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC9852002 View Post
Yeah, summer 2011 in general is gonna be packed. One of the best action/sci-fi summers in a few years.
I'd worry more about the fact that Green Lantern comes out 2 weeks after it.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Pirates and Hangover tanking? Clearly you have no clue what you're talking about.

Hangover was the most talked about comedy in recent times, you couldn't literally go anywhere for months without someone bring it up. The sequel will do well, trust me.
I don't deny The Hangover was great, but the movie is a definite "wait and see what the previews look like" type of deal. There were lots of "most talked about comedies" that had sequels in the past and didn't do well. Ultimately it'll have to be funny if it hopes to make any money.
Quote:
Pirates will get money from the Johnny Depp fan girls alone. That's enough to guarantee that it'll be successful.
Eh, we'll see. There are a few Johnny Depp movies, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that no one seemed to care that much about.
Quote:
I'll give you The Thing prequel though, it has the strongest chance of all the films up there of tanking.
Yeah, I mean seriously, great David Cronenberg....but who gives a f***.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Pirates and Hangover 2 have like 10 percent of flopping. It's insane how much you are willing to bet they'd flop. The fact the DVD did insane amounts of money for Hangover as well as the box office take in, guarantees it'll be extremely good at the box office for the sequel.

Pirates fans are a hardcore bunch, despite having some problems with the sequels the hype for Pirates 4 is insane. Top that with the fact they've ditched Orlando and Kiera Knightley and kept only Johnny and Geoffery and you're guaranteed to get their butts back in seats.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #16
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Bloom was a big draw for the girls. Depp is getting old. I don't think the female crowd will be that big this time around. Unless they added some other dude replacing the Will character. POTC4 should be nothing special. I'd worry about Hangover, Kung Fu, Fast Five, and GL. Movie simply has no chance in that slot either way you slice it.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #17
Electrix
Side-Kick

The Hangover had literally no competition when it was released. Star Trek had already been out for a month and Land of the Lost flopped. Up! was a kids movie.

The Proposal came out 2 weeks after but that was a rom-com for the females. Year One flopped. It wasn't until Transformers 2 came out 3 weeks later that it had any serious competition. Because there was nothing else to see word of mouth carried The Hangover.

That same environment won't be created again, so I can't see The Hangover 2 doing $460 million again. Kung Fu Panda will probably be #1 that weekend, and it will be a battle with Pirates for #2.

Last edited by Electrix; 08-26-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #18
Electrix
Side-Kick

X-Men is a proven franchise. People like it and are familiar with it. Nobody knows how people will respond to Thor and Captain America, or even Green Lantern. They aren't the most well known characters, even if the online fan-boy community goes crazy over them.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #19
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
The Hangover had literally no competition when it was released. Star Trek had already been out for a month and Land of the Lost flopped. Up! was a kids movie.

The Proposal came out 2 weeks after but that was a rom-com for the females. Year One flopped. It wasn't until Transformers 2 came out 3 weeks later that it had any serious competition. Because there was nothing else to see word of mouth carried The Hangover.

That same environment won't be created again, so I can't see The Hangover 2 doing $460 million again.
Exactly. You may credit the DVD sales as some sign of how a sequel may do, but the fact is comedies generally are not a huge box office draw. A couple of problems The Hangover 2 will have automatically, is number one, you won't be able to bring children, so it's not a family film. And while it will appeal to college students and fans of the first film, most of those people became fans by the word of mouth surrounding the first film. If this one isn't as funny, or doesn't produce a spectacularly funny preview, I wouldn't expect it to do all that well. I imagine it'll take the number one slot for it's weekend though.

Last edited by Optimus_Prime_; 08-26-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #20
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
X-Men is a proven franchise. People like it and are familiar with it. Nobody knows how people will respond to Thor and Captain America, or even Green Lantern. They aren't the most well known characters, even if the online fan-boy community goes crazy over them.
Wolverine has been a huge lynch-pin in the X-Men franchise, and while you can argue they are a proven franchise, they've only ever proven themselves with their most recognizeable characters. There is nothing to suggest a movie or show can exist without some combination of characters like Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Gambit and or Jean Grey. Hell, they can barely do that in the comic books. Wolverine isn't in every book and making guest appearances 'cause it's a good way to stay active ya'know!

They'll have an uphill climb. First of all, people who don't follow every piece of movie news are gonna see the First Class trailer and be like "WTF!?! where are the X-Men. Azazel, Darwin, Havok? Who are these weirdos". Now that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be interested, but it will mean the movie will have to convince them it's worthwhile.

Side note: Aside from comic accuracy, marketability is another reason I think McAvoy needed to be bald in this movie. Professor X is iconically bald. It's something that people expect of that character. I kind of feel it'll be hard to think of him initially as a younger version of the Patrick Stewart character if his head isn't shaven.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #21
TNC9852002
Banned User

Quote:
I'd worry more about the fact that Green Lantern comes out 2 weeks after it.
I wouldn't worry at all. As long as the movie turns out great.

There could be some cross-marketing among some superhero fans, but X-Men has a much more mainstream audience over time with its pre-established name over Green Lantern, which might only do numbers similar to the Incredible Hulk franchise. It's too hard to tell right now..

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #22
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC9852002 View Post
I wouldn't worry at all. As long as the movie turns out great.

There could be some cross-marketing among some superhero fans, but X-Men has a much more mainstream audience over time with its pre-established name over Green Lantern, which might only do numbers similar to the Incredible Hulk franchise. It's too hard to tell right now..
I'd think Cap has a better chance of doing IH numbers. In my opinion, GL and Thor are gonna be the big powerhouses that summer.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #23
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

I think Thor has a strong chance of being the one with IH numbers. I don't expect a sequel to Thor at all, just because I believe that GA's will respond a little odd to a film about a superhero god.

Green Lantern will depend on the trailer.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #24
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
I think Thor has a strong chance of being the one with IH numbers. I don't expect a sequel to Thor at all, just because I believe that GA's will respond a little odd to a film about a superhero god.
I saw some people get pretty excited by the credits scene in IM2. Though, I dunno, I think the CC footage looked damn good, and Hemsworth looked really good onscreen. The Incredible Hulk did have the uphill battle of low expectations following the last one.
Quote:
Green Lantern will depend on the trailer.
The pictures all look great so far, but yeah, it will.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #25
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

I also heard alot of people having to be explained what the hell the after the credits scene meant. Thor could really go either way.