The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #26
Wolverine1988
Side-Kick

Default Re: This movie is gonna have tough competition.

I could easily see Thor tanking, and while i dont see it tanking i dont think it will be as sucesfull as marvel will like.

I just think the comic book movies these daysthat are sucesfull these days are the ones that try and go for a more realistic tone(Batman,Iron Man,X-men etc)

Wolverine1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #27
Electrix
Side-Kick

Thor and Captain America won't do Iron Man numbers, especially not overseas. Thor should do well in Sweden

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #28
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
Thor and Captain America won't do Iron Man numbers, especially not overseas. Thor should do well in Sweden
Then again, Iron Man really shouldn't have done Iron Man numbers.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #29
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I wouldn't say that. I think Captain America could most definitely reach Iron Man numbers.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #30
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
I also heard alot of people having to be explained what the hell the after the credits scene meant. Thor could really go either way.
Yeah, I had to explain it to a few people.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #31
Electrix
Side-Kick

Iron Man made nearly $600 million. Which other movie set during WWII made anywhere near that amount?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #32
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Iron Man made nearly $600 million. Which other movie about WWII made anywhere near that amount?
Saving Private Ryan made just under 500 million. I bet it's pretty damn close when adjusted for inflation.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #33
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

The only movies from that huge list I want to see are Hangover 2, Harry Potter and X-Men. And I didn't even like Hangover that much...

I have zero interest in watching GL, Thor or Cap. America...but oh well, i haven't even watched Iron Man 2, but I guess it was highly successful.

flavio_lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #34
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Quote:
The Hangover had literally no competition when it was released. Star Trek had already been out for a month and Land of the Lost flopped. Up! was a kids movie.

The Proposal came out 2 weeks after but that was a rom-com for the females. Year One flopped. It wasn't until Transformers 2 came out 3 weeks later that it had any serious competition. Because there was nothing else to see word of mouth carried The Hangover.

That same environment won't be created again, so I can't see The Hangover 2 doing $460 million again. Kung Fu Panda will probably be #1 that weekend, and it will be a battle with Pirates for #2.
I agree. I have always said that those 09 movies are inflated because of the dog **** competition. But for those weekends, Panda is going to draw family and kids, Hangover will draw adults, MAYBE most teens settle for First Class. Fast Five also has a fanbase. You are losing every demographic regardless. It's just not gonna make money with all that crap sandwiching it.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #35
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Saving Private Ryan made just under 500 million. I bet it's pretty damn close when adjusted for inflation.
That was a Spielberg/Hanks movie.

Chris Evans is hardly a box office draw. American's may flock to it because he is 'Captain America', but Superman is an iconic American superhero and that movie only just made $200 million. I can remember back during the X3 vs. Superman Returns days Supes fans were thinking it would do Spider-Man numbers because he is an American hero etc etc. It'll take more than patriotism to get Captain America anywhere near $600 million worldwide.

Last edited by Electrix; 08-26-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #36
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
That was a Spielberg/Hanks movie.

Chris Evans is hardly a box office draw. American's may flock to it because he is 'Captain America', but Superman is an iconic American superhero and that movie only just made $200 million. It'll take more than patriotism to get Captain America anywhere near $600 million worldwide.
The latest Superman had the drawback of sucking.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #37
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
The latest Superman had the drawback of sucking.
which is something all of these movies might suffer too.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #38
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Eh. I doubt EVERY movie on the list could suck. One of them has to come out as a good movie.

The fact is with so many proven franchises (some in other medias) coming out next year, it's going to be super hard for a lot of films to do Iron Man numbers.

JustABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #39
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Yeah I wouldn't put much stock in Cap yet... it's Johnston. Guy has been garbage since JP3. But hey, it will be a hit because "it's freaking Captain America!!!"...

Old 08-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #40
chaseter
Bland User

I doubt this movie goes much over 200 million with the full summer and this being a prequel. Even if this movie is fantastic, I don't see it passing 250 at the most but I would guess 200.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #41
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

It will be a hit, because it's Captain America. General audience's could give two ****ting cents who the behind the scenes people in a movie are, sadly.

How do you think those parody guys and Brett Ratner's films do so well at the box office?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #42
Electrix
Side-Kick

Looking at all the big movies for next year, if Fox didn't have X-Men: First Class it would only have Rise of the Apes as a potential blockbuster, and I think Apes may be swallowed up be Transformers 3 anyway.

I can understand the hurry now.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #43
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Apes is a little dated of a franchise as much as I personally love it. The fact it's a prequel to the old series might hurt it's chances at success as well.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #44
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I doubt this movie goes much over 200 million with the full summer and this being a prequel. Even if this movie is fantastic, I don't see it passing 250 at the most but I would guess 200.
200? Wolverine couldn't even do that. Maybe if the reception is there, but I doubt it. I am thinking TIH numbers domestic, a little more adjusting to inflation.

Quote:
It will be a hit, because it's Captain America. General audience's could give two ****ting cents who the behind the scenes people in a movie are, sadly.

How do you think those parody guys and Brett Ratner's films do so well at the box office?
The fact that they had to adjust the release because of TF3 taking the July 4th Holiday means it will probably be a farce. Unless there is another war going on, the general audience will not be compelled to go to the theaters with their flags waving.

Quote:
Looking at all the big movies for next year, if Fox didn't have X-Men: First Class it would only have Rise of the Apes as a potential blockbuster, and I think Apes may be swallowed up be Transformers 3 anyway.

I can understand the hurry now.
Doesn't mean they shouldn't have had some foresight. Why wasn't this in production late 2009... or right after Avatar?

Last edited by FaT_tONle; 08-26-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #45
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
General audience's could give two ****ting cents who the behind the scenes people in a movie are, sadly.

Inception hasn't made $600 million+ just because of Leonardo DiCaprio. 'Christopher Nolan, director of The Dark Knight' was a major selling point.

The parody movies don't do that well actually. They are made on the cheap and make less than $100 million.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #46
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

Let's not forget word of mouth. There IS a chance of First Class actually being a great movie, guys.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #47
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
Doesn't mean they shouldn't have had some foresight. Why wasn't this in production late 2009... or right after Avatar?
Bryan Singer announced he would be directing at the Avatar premiere. Then there was 2 months of script development and what not before Singer had to leave, and they got Vaughn in May. If Singer didn't have Jack the Giant Killer Fox would have probably been in production in the summer as he could jump straight in, but because of Singer's commitments they had to spend time finding a new director before beginning pre-production.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #48
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Quote:
Inception hasn't made $600 million+ just because of Leonardo DiCaprio. 'Christopher Nolan, director of The Dark Knight' was a major selling point.

The parody movies don't do that well actually. They are made on the cheap and make less than $100 million.
They don't know Nolan's name though. I can guarantee you. They just know ''Oh yeah that guy that did Batman? Okay."

And only certain directors are notable for being able to sell a movie anyways, we're talking your Spielbergs, Cameron, Lucas, etc.

I will admit Nolan is probably on his way to being one of those directors, unless he makes a major misstep with Batman 3.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #49
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Quote:
Bryan Singer announced he would be directing at the Avatar premiere. Then there was 2 months of script development and what not before Singer had to leave, and they got Vaughn in May. If Singer didn't have Jack the Giant Killer Fox would have probably been in production in the summer as he could jump straight in, but because of Singer's commitments they had to spend time finding a new director before beginning pre-production.
And when was Vaughn brought on? They needed the entire Spring and half the summer to finalize a script and get a director? It's not like they were looking at a 100 guys. They were going to go with a safe choice that had been involved previously. I think Rothman was jacking off with the excess cash from Avatar that he realized by July that, "Holy CRAP... we need tentpoles for next year... " No excuse for not moving on this sooner. But we'll have to see the final product before deciding.

Quote:
They don't know Nolan's name though. I can guarantee you. They just know ''Oh yeah that guy that did Batman? Okay."

And only certain directors are notable for being able to sell a movie anyways, we're talking your Spielbergs, Cameron, Lucas, etc.

I will admit Nolan is probably on his way to being one of those directors, unless he makes a major misstep with Batman 3.
Don't be a fool... Nolan is household at this point. Everyone knows it by now. It's not just a fan boy cult thing.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #50
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
200? Wolverine couldn't even do that. Maybe if the reception is there, but I doubt it. I am thinking TIH numbers domestic, a little more adjusting to inflation.
Wolverine couldn't do 200 because it was a terrible movie and was beat down by the majority of fans and critics. Word of mouth did not help that movie. This will make more than 134 million, TIH's numbers. If it is a good movie, it will make around 200 but definitely not more than 250.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote