The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #51
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Default Re: This movie is gonna have tough competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
They don't know Nolan's name though. I can guarantee you. They just know ''Oh yeah that guy that did Batman? Okay."
Everyone knows who Nolan is by now. If they don't the "from the creators of the Dark Knight" on every movie movie poster and TV spot was probably a dead giveaway

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #52
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
And when was Vaughn brought on? They needed the entire Spring and half the summer to finalize a script and get a director? It's not like they were looking at a 100 guys. They were going to go with a safe choice that had been involved previously. I think Rothman was jacking off with the excess cash from Avatar that he realized by July that, "Holy CRAP... we need tentpoles for next year... " No excuse for not moving on this sooner. But we'll have to see the final product before deciding.
It was confirmed Singer would just be producing on March 27th, and I think they may have waited to see how people responded to Kick-Ass to see whether to pursue Vaughn or not.

Kick-Ass came out on April 16th, and within 3 weeks it was announced Vaughn would be directing. X-Men: First Class has been in pre-production since the beginning of May, so it's had 4 solid months. Now it'll probably have 4 solid months of filming, and 4-5 months of post-production, although post-production work can begin as soon as they have footage, which will be next week.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #53
Diamondhead
Banned User

it's not about competition
it's about the economy
people's pocket are empty these days

now i fear for the mighty god of thunder

Diamondhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #54
Diamondhead
Banned User

Best way to do it is to make a 3d movie and charge extra for the spectacle

Diamondhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #55
conan69
Cimmerian

You know, I really didnt care for the Thor footage we saw.

I did like the "Stark never tells me anything" bit with the following few seconds of carnage, and when he threw the hammer but i felt very "eh" to me.

Considering the climate of politics in the country right now, I think Capt America will do very good business for the same reasons Spiderman did. Great timing.

Last edited by conan69; 08-26-2010 at 04:47 PM.
conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #56
the a1ant
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC9852002 View Post
Yeah, summer 2011 in general is gonna be packed. One of the best action/sci-fi summers in a few years.
Thank goodness. Besides a couple of films, this Summer really bored me!

Old 08-27-2010, 01:35 AM   #57
Squidboy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
Don't be a fool... Nolan is household at this point. Everyone knows it by now. It's not just a fan boy cult thing.
I don't think he's really achieved that status yet. His movies are great and he deserves that recognition, but I think you're giving the general public too much credit

Squidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #58
Wolverine1988
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidboy View Post
I don't think he's really achieved that status yet. His movies are great and he deserves that recognition, but I think you're giving the general public too much credit

If The Dark Knight didn't do it than Inception for sure did

Inception and The Dark Knight have become two of the most popular movies to come out within the last few years.

Wolverine1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #59
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_tonle View Post

don't be a fool... Nolan is household at this point. Everyone knows it by now. It's not just a fan boy cult thing.
lol

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:38 AM   #60
TNC9852002
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan69 View Post
You know, I really didnt care for the Thor footage we saw.

I did like the "Stark never tells me anything" bit with the following few seconds of carnage, and when he threw the hammer but i felt very "eh" to me.

Considering the climate of politics in the country right now, I think Capt America will do very good business for the same reasons Spiderman did. Great timing.
Wait...what footage?

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #61
Electrix
Side-Kick

There was a leak of the 5 minute Thor trailer shown at Comic-Con

Old 08-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #62
knowsbleed
Banned User

... and it sucked.

knowsbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #63
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Thor will pretty much be on its last legs by June. Nothing to worry about for X-Men.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #64
JP
Smelly

The only worry is Pirates 2 weeks before and GL 2 weeks after. Those are its only really competitors at this time. Hangover and Kung Fu Panda are different crowds.

I'm more worried about Captain America than this Film. It's X-Men so that alone will draw people. Plus, Vaughn and Singer were very smart when they cast this film. McAvoy and Fassbender have fan bases similar to Jackman's. Then we have Mystique who the general audience loves. Plus, Beast might have some recognition (if he's blue at any point during the film).

The only downside is McAvoy's head. Xavier's scalp is pretty iconic. No idea why they'd ignore that.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #65
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Yeah, I wish Xavier was bald too.

But I'm sure they're going to have him saying "I'm Professor Charles Xavier" in the trailer before making a dramatic orchestral beat and cutting to black.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #66
TNC9852002
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
There was a leak of the 5 minute Thor trailer shown at Comic-Con
Well, you know what you need to do...

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #67
Crockett
With Teeth

Yeah, I won't worried about X-Men, is a recognizable franchise, even to the GA and because we have 3 movies and *cough*X-Men Origins: Wolverine *cough* to prove it. Off-topic I'm more worried about Thor and Captain America, only two months between these movies and I want both of them to succeed.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #68
Project862006
Banned User

just looekd up actual competition

its main ones are gonna be

POTC/Fast Five/Green Lantern/

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #69
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Wolverine has been a huge lynch-pin in the X-Men franchise, and while you can argue they are a proven franchise, they've only ever proven themselves with their most recognizeable characters. There is nothing to suggest a movie or show can exist without some combination of characters like Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Gambit and or Jean Grey. Hell, they can barely do that in the comic books. Wolverine isn't in every book and making guest appearances 'cause it's a good way to stay active ya'know!

They'll have an uphill climb. First of all, people who don't follow every piece of movie news are gonna see the First Class trailer and be like "WTF!?! where are the X-Men. Azazel, Darwin, Havok? Who are these weirdos". Now that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be interested, but it will mean the movie will have to convince them it's worthwhile.

Side note: Aside from comic accuracy, marketability is another reason I think McAvoy needed to be bald in this movie. Professor X is iconically bald. It's something that people expect of that character. I kind of feel it'll be hard to think of him initially as a younger version of the Patrick Stewart character if his head isn't shaven.
I think it will more than likely be marketed as the untold story or unseen chapter of how the X-Men came to be. Sort of... 'Before the world of the X-Men we all know was a time of hope when Charles Xavier and the man who became Magneto worked together to create a bright new era with some of the first mutants... these were the people who forged a dream of peace and co-existence...these were X-Men: First Class.' (and to anyone at Fox, you can use that for a fee !)

It's a crowded summer for sure, though X-Men is a more established brand than Green Lantern, Thor or Captain America.

When we see some exciting footage of Banshee's sonic scream or Havok's plasma bolts or demonic-looking Azazel or whatever else, I think the general anticipation will rise. Especially with a great voiceover, perhaps intercutting Xavier with Martin Luther King.

And I feel sure the closing scenes will see Cyclops, Jean, Storm and others to set up a sequel and keep the hardcore fanboys happier. The adventure can continue.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #70
The Wizard
Side-Kick

I wonder if a First Class sequel or an X4 is more likely.

The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #71
Crockett
With Teeth

Definitely a First Class sequel. Usually the further a series goes the more money it needs, at this point it would probably cost much just to even round up the original cast if they are doing a X4.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #72
TNC9852002
Banned User

People need to get this around their heads: X4 WILL NEVER HAPPEN

Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #73
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

After the talk of X4 a while back when Singer signed on for First Class I think X4 is more likely now then it ever was before.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #74
Electrix
Side-Kick

Fox will eventually go forward in time with the franchise, but if First Class is successful they are more likely to make a sequel. Why would they get the old cast back together when they have a perfectly good new one?

The 'X4' we may eventually get won't be a follow on from X3. Too much time will have past. It'll probably be set 10-15 years after and will involve whoever from the original cast wants to return (the characters that lived anyway), and new characters to ensure further sequels.

Last edited by Electrix; 08-28-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #75
Project862006
Banned User

no xavier/jean/cyclops/ how would these do it unless singer tries to go fix stuff like showing scott never died jean is'nt dead for good and xavier is in another body and will eventually come back

seems too convoluted to work

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote