The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #76
Electrix
Side-Kick

Default Re: This movie is gonna have tough competition.

By the time they eventually get round to 'X4' Patrick Stewart will be in his 80's. Hugh Jackman will have probably moved on from Wolverine, so Halle Berry will likely be the only lead interested in returning. Anna Paquin may return if Rogue has a good role, so I can see a scenario where Storm is leading the school with Rogue and Iceman (possibly Colossus) as teachers. Plus new characters who have joined over the years.

Anyway, back onto box office competition.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #77
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
Fox will eventually go forward in time with the franchise, but if First Class is successful they are more likely to make a sequel. Why would they get the old cast back together when they have a perfectly good new one?
The claim that we have a perfectly good new cast is assuming a lot, since the only characters guaranteed to survive this movie are Xavier and Magneto. Before Singer came on the concept of a trilogy was floating around and it made more sense then because they were building a cast that would stay on for a long time for sure while with this new cast it's only speculation. Unless the next film yet again takes place while Storm, Cyclops, and Jean are too young to participate, there is going to have to be a big time jump and they'll have to get a new cast for a First Class 2. Even if Havok or Banshee survive, they clearly can't play the same character if the time period is supposed to be 20 years later with shooting only 1-3 years later.

Under the original concept for First Class I would have said it was 100% guaranteed they would not make an X4 because they would be setting up characters they would be following for multiple films but it's not as likely they're going to make a trilogy all set in the 60s under Singer's concept. First Class seems like it could easily be just a look back at the past and not a saga that takes place in the past. The concept of a line of X-Men Origins films fell apart after Wolverine so the concept of First Class trilogy could easily fall apart as well if Singer wants something else.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.

Last edited by Deaths Head II; 08-28-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #78
FaT_tONle
Banned User

We are talking about a three decade span to cover with prequels. No one involved with the franchise wants to move forward. You'll hear Donner toss around the notion of X-4 and mention how it is actively on the pipeline, but there is virtually no value without Cyclops/Jean and Storm leading the school. The absolute necessity of recasting Xavier/Jackman pretty much kills any return value it may have had from the OT. I think Fox even realizes that they have failed to maximize the franchises potential and the only way to do that is to give neglected characters the on screen justice they deserve.

As far as leaping 15-20 years... a bald, wheel chair ridden McAvoy pretty much adds ten years. Just make him pale, feeble, and more wrinkly. If they wait three years, audiences will see a natural progression. FC2 is the only thing that makes sense as far as the next step considering they went forward with this.

Last edited by FaT_tONle; 08-28-2010 at 06:15 PM.
FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #79
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
since the only characters guaranteed to survive this movie are Xavier and Magneto.
Mystique/Beast?

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #80
Project862006
Banned User

Moira MacTaggert?

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #81
conan69
Cimmerian

IMHO a reboot kicking of from the new trilogy is more likely than X4.

I agree, X4 wont happen.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #82
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Mystique/Beast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
Moira MacTaggert?
Ah, I'm an idiot. But even those characters depend on what the story for FC2 is so I should have just said the chance for them returning for the sequel instead. Beast is guaranteed because he knows Storm in X3, unless they just reduce him to a cameo or something to establish he was with the team and that he's off to start a political career. I actually don't see Moira being a major player for the entire trilogy unless they do stick to the 60s-70s for most of it.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #83
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Fox will eventually go forward in time with the franchise, but if First Class is successful they are more likely to make a sequel. Why would they get the old cast back together when they have a perfectly good new one?
Yes, I agree here. We're more likely to get a First Class sequel, and an X4 is possible.

Quote:
The 'X4' we may eventually get won't be a follow on from X3. Too much time will have past. It'll probably be set 10-15 years after and will involve whoever from the original cast wants to return (the characters that lived anyway), and new characters to ensure further sequels.
Exactly. We may get Halle back as Storm (but I doubt we'll see Storm in much of an action role). It will be a new set of characters, plus Rogue, Colossus, Iceman, Kitty. Depends of course what Singer wants to do, how he sees it moving forwards.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #84
javon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
Scream 4
Three Musketeers 3-D
The Thing
Thor
Pirates 4
Hangover 2
Kung Fu Panda 2
X-Men First Class
Fast Five
Green Lantern
Cars 2
Rise of the Apes
Transformers 3
Harry Potter 7, part 2
Captain America
Cowboys and Aliens
The Smurfs
Spy Kids 4
Final Destinaton 5

All these come out from April 2011 to August 2011. It's just a crowded year next year.
Final Destination 5? OMG Give me a break people. This movie has been over.

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #85
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC9852002 View Post
People need to get this around their heads: X4 WILL NEVER HAPPEN
yep...

Not even I want to see a movie featuring Storm, Rogue and Iceman as main players.

And by now, bringing back Cyclops and Jean will just solidify the status of the series as a joke.

flavio_lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #86
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

double post

flavio_lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #87
JP
Smelly

At First I thought this was a one shot "look back" sort of thing. But, recent interviews with Vaughn and Singer suggest otherwise. They both mentioned it being a "fresh start" and a "new beginning" for the franchise. I think Singer definitely has a story planned for future films.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #88
knowsbleed
Banned User

As long as Singer isn't the one actually directing, I'm fine with a "new beginning" for the franchise. His actions scenes, while not as horrible as Ratner's, are lackluster.

knowsbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #89
Project862006
Banned User

huh lol night crawler scene and wolverine/death strike fight scene were the best of the franchise and were great scenes

Old 08-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #90
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsbleed View Post
As long as Singer isn't the one actually directing, I'm fine with a "new beginning" for the franchise. His actions scenes, while not as horrible as Ratner's, are lackluster.
He'll probably do First Class 2. I doubt Vaughn is up for anything more than this one film.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #91
knowsbleed
Banned User

lack... luster.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #92
knowsbleed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
He'll probably do First Class 2. I doubt Vaughn is up for anything more than this one film.
We'll see. Vaughn had stated previously that he wanted to stay away from adapted stories... and then he jumped on this movie when he was offered it. If First Class is successful, they might ask him to stay on.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #93
JP
Smelly

I'd much prefer him directing over Bryan, truthfully.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #94
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
The Kick Ass sequel comic is already being written and drawn right now so they will want to release the film right after the comic release and Vaughn will be directing that. I see that movie coming out in 2012.

Edit: Found it
Quote:
He also spoke with FusedFilm in which he revealed after director Matthew Vaughn is done with X-Men: First Class around April of next year, they will start pre-production on the Kick-Ass sequel right away.
http://thefilmstage.com/2010/07/30/k...s-next-spring/

So after First Class, Vaughn will be doing Kick Ass 2 until it is released in 2012 and Fox will not wait on Vaughn unless they plan to release First Class 2 in 2013 then I can see him coming back.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #95
Electrix
Side-Kick

Fox won't want a First Class sequel in 2012. That'll be Wolverine's year.

They'll wait for a 2013 or 2014 release most likely. Both Vaughn and Singer should be free after Kick-Ass 2 and Jack the Giant Killer, so it'll be interesting to see who goes for it.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #96
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Fox won't want a First Class sequel in 2012. That'll be Wolverine's year.

They'll wait for a 2013 or 2014 release most likely. Both Vaughn and Singer should be free after Kick-Ass 2 and Jack the Giant Killer, so it'll be interesting to see who goes for it.
Most likely Fantastic 4

Old 08-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #97
Electrix
Side-Kick

Wolverine 2 + FF = No need for a First Class sequel in 2012.

(Plus there will be Star Trek, Batman 3, Spider-Man)

Old 08-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #98
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

I'm not surprised that Vaughn took this gig. He's been wanting to direct a big budget superhero film for quite some time and came very close with X3 and Thor. He's even mentioned that he would have loved to direct the upcoming Superman Reboot. I think Singer had a lot to do with getting Vaughn on board though. Especially after the previous experience Vaughn had with this studio, when he was attached to X3.

Scarlet Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #99
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
I'd much prefer him directing over Bryan, truthfully.
i like them both brian so far is the better director

Old 08-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #100
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

I prefer Vaughn but I don't get the claims Singer is lackluster at directing action. Nightcrawler vs Secret Service is one of the greatest action scenes ever in a super hero film IMO.