The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #26
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Default Re: Alternate disguises for Superman... Should Superman wear a mask?

I think it's way too late to put Superman in a conventional superhero mask, it's just too jarring a change. Can anyone honestly imagine Superman wearing a domino mask or a cowl? It's about the same as Batman WITHOUT a mask. It's completely contrary to the image of Superman. Much moreso than removing the underwear, I'd say.

If it's really such an issue, just say Superman is using precise muscle control to make subtle changes to his face while he's Superman. Just enough that if someone were to suspect Clark and Superman are the same, they look more closely and notice they aren't exactly the same.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #27
Franklin Richards
Banned User

The way Byrne explained it was that you never got a good look at Superman's face. He moved too fast or if he was in a place with alot of cameras he vibrated real fast so that the pic was fuzzy.

All you ever saw was a flashy suit flying away.

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #28
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I don't think that explanation holds up when you're talking about Lois, someone he is around a lot as both Clark and Superman.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #29
El Payaso
Banned User

Explanations about why people don't realize Superman and Clark have the exact same face are always poor.

Kryptonian glasses that makes him look different, him vibrating, him hypnotizing people, nobody thinking that's "logic."

But a mask is NOT the answer.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #30
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Kryptonian glasses are a second option I've thought of. They project a holographic mask over Clark's face, so it's a mask without anyone realizing it.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #31
Sam
Im Always Around

Oh yeah! A dark blue mask would be great, with a big \S/ in the forehead and no space for eyes. He doesn't need, just use x-ray all the time and see through the mask, and hear through the mask using his super hearing!!

Ok.. this is IRONY, before someone starts banishing me. mask.. wtf idea.

I dont see any reason why all the frenzy about "why no one realize Clark and Superman are the same person".

First, not that much ppl knows Clark, beside some Daily Planet staff, of course. Its not like a billionaire Bruce Wayne that everyone knows who he is.

Second, just change a little tone of voice, glasses, different clothes and posture.

Third, no one puts too much thinking about Superman having a secret identity. He is just Superman all the time, helping ppl.

Fourth, suspension of disbelieve. Come one, u are buying the idea of a extra terrestrial that looks exactly like humans, came from a planet years-light of distance as baby, have amazing powers and use underwear outside his paints. U can easily buy the idea about Clark/Superman dual identity as it is without crazy ideas like mask or hypnosis glasses. Just like it was done several time on the past.

Of course, its always fun to play with the idea of someone have that feeling of "hmm.. he has something familiar". What also was done in the past, and it is ok.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #32
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Explanations about why people don't realize Superman and Clark have the exact same face are always poor.

Kryptonian glasses that makes him look different, him vibrating, him hypnotizing people, nobody thinking that's "logic."

But a mask is NOT the answer.
Or....just no-one in the actual story knowing that Superman has an alter ego/secret identity.

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...23&postcount=7

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #33
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Or....just no-one in the actual story knowing that Superman has an alter ego/secret identity.

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...23&postcount=7
Yes, that incapacitates people from recognizing two faces that are the same.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #34
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Yes, that incapacitates people from recognizing two faces that are the same.
If they are in different suits, have a different demeanor/presence, and one wears glasses...and is relatively invisible or unremarkable in the workplace...it can certainly help...if no one has any reason to look for a hidden Superman amongst them in normal daily life.

It's okay...take your time with it.

Here in NYC, there are many a big-time movie star who can go to the corner store or walk around the city unrecognized with nothing more than a baseball cap. unless, of course, the paparazzi knows where they live and hangs around with cameras ready....so as long as Superman doesn't give out his address....

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 08-29-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #35
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Wagner View Post
One thing I never ever understood was why the writers of the comics and movies thought the glasses & suit outfit for clark was an effective disguise for Superman? Seriously... Would no one at the Daily Planet suspect they are the same person??? Especially Lois, who regularly sees and works with Clark, and then also is saved by Superman?

How the hell is Lois considered as one of the greatest investigative reporters in Metropolis??? Doesn't make sense.

I think Superman should wear a mask to protect his identity from the world. Many other superheros do it, why shouldn't he? Besides, it's not like Clark could go around and wear a mask if the goal is to blend in as a human.

So what would be possible and realistic options to address this issue?

I'm Glad you asked. No, he should not wear a mask, you only need to point out to the audience that because he does not wear one as Superman, nobody is looking for a secret identity.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #36
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Old 08-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #37
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I don't think that explanation holds up when you're talking about Lois, someone he is around a lot as both Clark and Superman.
Unless, in this version, Superman and Lois didn't really have a close relationship, and he was more of a somewhat distant public figure that he was chasing after, and the most time he ever spend with her as Superman was a very quick hello/goodbye and maybe a sound bite. I think that would make her obsession with Superman and relationship with Clark more interesting, actually. It would at least be less cheesy than "My true love is on love with my alter ego, POR QUE!!!!!!???"

Old 08-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #38
Clarkman
Reluctant Hero

KalMart and 7heBoss, PLEASE, keep the manips coming!
This could be the best thread ever!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #39
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
If they are in different suits, have a different demeanor/presence, and one wears glasses...and is relatively invisible or unremarkable in the workplace...it can certainly help...if no one has any reason to look for a hidden Superman amongst them in normal daily life.
So if I change my suit and put on some glasses at my work where I have a different role than at home and my wife goes there... she might not recognize me at all, even if she talks to me.

Quote:
Why? Do you need some time to get used to your own idea?

Quote:
Here in NYC, there are many a big-time movie star who can go to the corner store or walk around the city unrecognized with nothing more than a baseball cap. unless, of course, the paparazzi knows where they live and hangs around with cameras ready....so as long as Superman doesn't give out his address....
Do those stars have regular jobs where people talk and interact with them on a daily basis and - of course - don't recognize them in spite of everything?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #40
Anubis
Sup?

They had that show where they got stars to do jobs like work in a Starbucks or a grocery store, and see how many people noticed them. They'd work for hours with the occasional, you know, you look like....nah. Eventually people would figure it out though.

Of course a guy whose on TV or in the movies all the time is not the same as guy who flies around at super speed and saves people, rarely getting on camera. So joe blow shouldn't be able to recognize Supes at all. A lot of people don't seem to get that. I think it's due to the God's eye view of events. If you threw out the fact that you already know that Clark Kent and Superman was the same person, you probably wouldn't realize it if Clark was standing right in front of you pouring you a cup of coffee.

As far as Lois...I think she should suspect. I mean back before they got together, she always suspected. Spent much of her time trying to out him too. But Supes would break out a Superman robot, or get J'onn to show up as Clark so they could both be in the same place at the same time. Leaving her looking stupid.

Ultimately, I go by the simple logic of the universe. Nobody thinks Supes has a secret I.D. and Clark's mastered the ability of hide in plain sight. Changing up body language, speech, everything. He effectively learned how to become a different person. No different than an undercover cop, or spy.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #41
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
So if I change my suit and put on some glasses at my work where I have a different role than at home and my wife goes there... she might not recognize me at all, even if she talks to me.
No...if you were a hero in a world that never had superheroes or stories about alter egos before, and people only saw you in a cape and tights, and had no idea that you were anything but that hero....you could probably use a different name, wear a jacket and tie, some glasses, and get a job in an office where no one would think you were that hero they see doing heroic things, as long as you don't call a lot of attention to yourself at work. It's not just the face that people are gawking at when it comes to Superman.

Quote:
Why? Do you need some time to get used to your own idea?
No, but you could obviously use some.....more. Nice try, though.

Quote:
Do those stars have regular jobs where people talk and interact with them on a daily basis and - of course - don't recognize them in spite of everything?
Maybe they do...and we don't know about it because the disguise works. the difference being that we know that an actor is someone other than who we see on screen. With Superman, what reason to they have to believe that Superman isn't always Superman, even when they don't see him?

Just because you don't get it doesn't make it rocket science, or nonsensical...and it ain't exactly a new concept. Just take it slow...it'll come. We have faith in you.

Beyond that..if you can't just buy the fantasy....maybe you should try a different character who wears a mask.

Last edited by KalMart; 08-29-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #42
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
No...if you were a hero in a world that never had superheroes or stories about alter egos before
Why are we assuming the DCU is like that? It's pretty well established that they had comic books and the concept of secret identities before Superman. As well as superheroes, if you look at the JSA.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #43
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Why are we assuming the DCU is like that? It's pretty well established that they had comic books and the concept of secret identities before Superman. As well as superheroes, if you look at the JSA.
In the actual world of Superman, has the concept of a superhero in disguise been there since....well...the Superman comics basically invented it? And we're also talking about a fictional world on film, and how you would establish conditions that would allow for such a minor disguise to work.

Now....if you establish that world in which there are already comic-hero stories about superheroes that have alter egos and conceal themselves amongst the masses before Superman's arrival (if you actually wanted to take that time/space in a movie)...then yeah, just the glasses may be a bit of a tough sell if Supes isn't wearing a mask. But if not...Superman is so clearly not just a regular man in a suit like with Batman....and because he doesn't wear a mask, it gives off more of an impression that you're seeing the whole/true thing, not someone trying to conceal their identity while being a hero. And unless he tells the public in an interview or what have you that he's also another person.....then they're probably not going to be so apt to think that he is....and they'd be less inclined to even look for him amongst themselves. Unless....like you alluded to...they clearly establish that comic/alter-ego precedent in that story, instead of assuming our real-world precedents carry over directly.

You could also have an interview with Lois in which it's alluded that he's helping out other parts of the world when Metropolis doesn't see him...or, when he's flying away and a bunch of reporters are watching on the street, a split second later Clark is right there with them, so to them he's been there the whole time and couldn't be that guy flying away...etc...

I know that a lot of fanboys don't like the awkward, nerdy, and clumsy Clark in the movies....but it does work in terms of offsetting the image that those people process when it comes to Superman. Be it body language, assertiveness, or just an overall vibe that a person gives off...the Clark Kent of the movies is generally the last person that anyone would suspect is Superman...especially the people who actually spend time around him. He's socially invisible, unauthoritative, infinitely dismissible as a suitor to Lois Lane (who's starry-eyed for the guy in the cape and tights anyway). Again, maybe not what fanboys would prefer, but all the better to make it pretty good disguise.

Last edited by KalMart; 08-29-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #44
Anubis
Sup?

They could get the same point across by making Clark out to be kind of a dick.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #45
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
They could get the same point across by making Clark out to be kind of a dick.
Probably...but would we want that? The geekiness adds a certain innocent charm to things, even if it doesn't address the vicarious empowerment needs of some fanboys or what have you. I still like the idea of Clark at home in Smallville being the whole package in terms of personality on both sides. And I also like the idea of big city life and rhythm being chaotic even for a superhero....especially one with such an uncomplicated outlook (relatively speaking) on right and wrong.

Last edited by KalMart; 08-29-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #46
al35077
I fight for the users!!

Yeah I've always heard that thr "real" Clark was a mixture of both personas

Tom Welling for Superman

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
al35077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #47
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by al35077 View Post
Yeah I've always heard that thr "real" Clark was a mixture of both personas
I guess he doesn't have to conceal either side when he's with his folks.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #48
Anubis
Sup?

Yeah, there's Superman: the Hero, then there's Clark Kent: Journalist, and then you just got Clark: Person.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #49
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #50
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick