The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
bosef982
Side-Kick

Default Continuity, Timeline, Thoughts on Resolution?

I've been skimming various thread and I wanted to make one dedicated to this topic, since I think it spans a variety of threads yet is its own creature.

A lot of concerns have arisen concerning the continuity in the newest X-Men films, what with Havok being older then Cyclops and active nearly 50 years prior to the beginning of the other films. Mystique and Beast all seem to be in their early sixties by many's account if you look at the timeline.

But I think the conundrum that many of us are overlooking is that the X-Men's mythology, especially that of Magneto, is firmly rooted in a historical event that with every passing year, we grow further from -- The Holocaust. The comics have treated this as a wink-wink-let's-nobody-talk-about-it plot hole in terms of how Xavier and Magneto, both in their 20s in the 50s, are somehow still vibrant, young men fighting for the cause of mutants everywhere. I feel that Singer and Vaughn aren't being given enough credit in trying to untie this rather larger continuity snappoo without totally trashing these characters and their origins -- as I could see many (including myself) crying sacrilege if somehow Magneto's Holocaust origins were somehow changed to say -- Darfur -- much like Tony Stark's Vietnam became Afghanistan in the Iron Man movies.

In the movies, you can't do what Claremont's X-Men relaunch did and have Magneto revitalized and made younger by some convenient mutant mishap.

How does X-Men: First Class handle this? And how will future X-Men movies have to grapple with the issues of Magneto's age, the continuity of comics versus that of the realistic timeline of where the world's at now? Ten years from now, how do you make an X-Men movie? Does this change your opinion concerning continuity errors?

Two Films, One Review, No Holds Barred.
Comic books, fantasy, drama, romantic comedy -- all are put to task!

bosef982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Default Re: Continuity, Timeline, Thoughts on Resolution?

I don't think this is an issue anymore considering how there is doubt the franchise is going to go past 2006 or whenever X3 took place. If they really are just going to stick to prequels and never show an X-Men film in the present again, then problem solved. Magneto being alive in the 60s-90s makes perfect sense.

If they were to show Magneto in the modern age I always felt a good way to do it was to have the story with Cortez and the Acolytes except have Cortez' powers deage people as well as "heal" them so you can have the same basic story of Magneto needing Cortez except adding in an element where Magneto starts to return to his original age without Cortez' powers. Of course, that's only if they did decide to bring back Magneto and not just move on to other villains. So on the very tiny chance that they move past X3 and decide to use Magneto, that's my solution to that very very unlikely scenario.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
TNC9852002
Banned User

I wouldn't think so much about it..

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Jerkofwonder
Side-Kick

I guess the big question here is how will Marvel handle this if/when they get the rights back? It probably won't be for at least another 10 years... Can we really have an X-men franchise without Magneto? His holocaust origins are absolutely necessary, it's one of his driving forces.

Jerkofwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

I think there are plenty of ways around it without resorting to a sliding timeline considering the universe they inhabit. To have a mutant with the power to deage people or manipulate people's age isn't nearly as fantastical as most of the powers displayed in the movies alone. Wolverine himself is virtually immortal, so they can even just use a person with the power to heal in general and it might have the same aftereffects of a healing factor.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.

Last edited by Deaths Head II; 08-31-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

I would like for it to fit in with the first and second movies, and totally ignore the third and 'Wolverine'.

You've made clear your supposed hatred for drama here through your countless meltdowns, yet, on the other hand, it seems your favorite forum past-time is being the most dramatic two-faced person here. Pick up some Prozac, a real hobby and a life.
The Original Bamfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

We still don't know If we should consider Wolverine and The Last Stand are still part of the official film Contunity.If First Class Is apart from Young Magneto,Mystique,Xavier
scenes set Entirely In the 1960's then Wolverine and Last Stand does not match with First Class.Of course Wolverine didn't really work to match X2 eather.An advange would
be In a first Class sequel Angel could be Introduced with Cyclops and Jean.They can have a white Boliver trask as Inventor of the Senetiles and Callistro,Psylocke,and Blob
closer to comic book versions.As well as a Juggernaut who doesn't quip.While a shame Liev Schneider's portrayl of Sabrettoth and Ellen Page's portroyal of Kitty Pryde would no longer be part of official film contunity as long as X-Men and X2 are still In contunity I see no problem.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Who is Liev Schneider? Is he related to Rob Schneider?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

Continuity, be it in film or comics, should never be really taken seriously when you are talking about the X-Men.

It's obvious that Fox isn't so hardcore to give a fine detailed view to the continuity of it all, like Marvel studios are doing with their films...and that's alright. As long as there is a connecting thread through the films, i would be happy with that, i dont need exact age, timelines and what not.

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #10
bhayes
Side-Kick

Well in all honesty.

whatever their logic is. they just won't reboot the franchise. they want to reboot daredevil and FF which IMO didn't need to be rebooted but they won't do it with x men.

unlike lots of folks here. i actually LIKE x3. I felt it was a nice ending as a trilogy. i like the emotional appeal. the acting. the action was creatively done. i felt like they took the feel of the comics, the animated series, and the feel of the films and created something really cool and fun and epic. the battle that and the way they made the pheonix more realistic and grounded was a good decision. i liked it.

i liked it overall and Brett Ratner has a right to be proud of the movie. it felt very EPIC as an ending. i know that lots of fanboys feel the opposite but i really liked x3.

but being that x3 didn't read the mood of the audience, it makes me wonder how singer and his writers would've handled it. they say that the x men would have fought the hellfire club which would've made sense. but i liked the way x3 turned out. i liked it that magneto accomplished his goal of starting a war which is what he set himself out to do in the first film.

i dislike the fact that there is lack of continuity within the the x films.

the x-jet changes each movie. beast (hank McCoy) is human looking in part 2 and then he is a furry beast the next. nightcrawler dissappears without an explanation in x3. you could say that he just left the school, but just some dialogue about where he went would have been nice. striker loses his southern accent in orgins. the whole adamantium bullet in the head erasing his memory thing. i mean orgins takes the lack of continuity to a whole new level. i mean wolverine will have to get shot in the head again so that he will have not recognize yuriko in x men 2. so the continuty is even more screwed up.

orgins ruined everything if you ask me. And i honestly think that the director got screwed over because of interference from the studio. and it shows. he wanted to make a gritty film or atleast a semi-gritty film and the studio wanted something else and the end result is a sucky crap film that felt rushed. that fails to maintin continuity even within the previous movies. fans and people in general who were worried about this film had every right to be. this movie really sucked

i feel like the idea of the script was good. i liked the idea that sabertooth and wolverine were brothers. it made sense, being that they have similar mutations. it added a different level of tension to their classic rivalry.

the opening of the film was awesome. it was good but the movie really falls apart after striker gets wolverine and sabertooth out of jail. too many unecessary characters. i mean everything that everyone has complained about the film here. orgins had the potential to be a very intelligent action drama. i mean i thought we were gonna see something that finally answers the mystery of wolverine, a tragic love story, a social commentary on the issue of sibling rivalry, and something that visualizes what we have seen from the comics. its sad because hugh said that this film was for the FANS.

i mean the animated episode of wolverine's orgin is more intertaining than the film version if you ask me.

i didn't mind the film-makers making changes to the x men storyline because sometimes changes are necessary. but wolverine was just a big mistake.

so now where does that leave us. X-MEN FIRST CLASS should've been a reboot. really it should've been. no wolverine 2. no prequel non-sense. just start over. i mean even if wolverine 2 is actually a good movie, i will still hate it. i think that FOX knows that they screwed up. i mean the movie got leaked early on the net. and it sucked too. so i think they are trying to not make themselves not look bad by not rebooting.

x men first class seems like a reboot but with wolverine 2 coming and OMG a deadpool movie with RR. it confuses us. i mean RR is now green lantern so it confuses us all. and a deapool movie is not necessary either. so i have now offically given up on x men movies. we will never see an authentic x men movie. we just won't.

IMO they should've just started over with the original 5 and the same setting the 60's. and started with teenagers and over time as we see the teens age into their 30's they become the x men we all know and love and eventually they could re-introduce a more authentic wolvine later on in a 3rd or 4th film. but this will never happen.

i prefer what marvel is doing with avengers. even though they replaced Terrence Howard and Ed norton, Iron Man 2, Thor, Cap. America will be great films. they will do Iron Fist, Black Panther and Avengers justice. they won't screw it up they way fox has with xmen. i'm curious to see how they handle punsiher. i mean i personally liked war zone being that it was comic accurate. but i will admit that it was over the top as well. so i wonder what approcach they will take

being that they are building up a strong continuity within thier films, it would be wierd to introduce mutants into their world so, its okay. i don't think they will ever get their hands on x men. if they did they would do i j

also im keeping my finger crossed in hoping that we will see a justice league film someday. If green lantern turns out to be as great as Dark Knight and Batman Begins and if Superman pans out well then i hope maybe WB will try to do what marvel is doing.

bhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

Idk about how I feel about the continuity issues...you can't really form an opinion until we've seen the finish product. For all we know maybe their is a small cameo w/Scott, Jean, Ororo maybe their roles will be minimal. I don't really care about the cameo of Xavier in Origins, but I was hoping to see Jean's origin expanded on in this prequel because of what X3 gave us.

I think X3 & Origins gave us a good insight on how Scott & Jean were recruited, and for what reason Singer, Vaughn, & the writers felt best to leave them out. Its to bad because I've been reading great things about the writers and I was hoping for them to not retconn, but expand on what was already established in X3 & Origins.

I'm getting the feeling since X3 & Origins weren't Vaughns or Singer's film(s) they're giving them the "stepchild" treatment, LOL...but I feel as if Singer would have stayed on then we may be getting the same story...

I think most of this film will take place in the 60s with Xavier, Eric,Moira, etc and move on to the 70s where will meet the "team" who were kids during the 60s and when mutants become more known that's when the school opens...

but I can see how we expected those 3 to be early students because of the lines we had in X1 and their was a feel that those 3 knew Magneto & Mystique...but one thing Xavier is is a private person, so maybe this is an attempt to look at what he did and how it went wrong and maybe Beast or Moira encourages him to go on...

Phoenix_Flare is offline   Reply With Quote