The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #26
chaseter
Bland User

Default Re: Retconn to x3 & Orgins?

I can think what I want to think.

Also, please quit saying 'agenda' as it got annoying 4 years ago when X3 came out.

Agenda. Yes I work for Sony and my agenda is to ruin all 20th Century Fox movies. Don't you work for Fox anyways? Would that make your agenda to support these movies no matter what?

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #27
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I can think what I want to think.

Also, please quit saying 'agenda' as it got annoying 4 years ago when X3 came out.

Agenda. Yes I work for Sony and my agenda is to ruin all 20th Century Fox movies. Don't you work for Fox anyways? Would that make your agenda to support these movies no matter what?
If you click on my signature link, you'll see who i work for - and it certainly isn't 20th Century Fox.

I find your standpoint silly. Judge First Class on its own merits.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #28
chaseter
Bland User

If the production looks good I certainly will. The production for Wolverine was terrible and the same with X3 and shocker...we got mediocre movies.

But once again, please quit being the glee patrol and please quit saying that people have agendas. If people want to think Emma looks silly or that they disagree with using Wolverine as a continuity source then that is perfectly fine.

I will go see this movie to judge it fairly but that does not mean that for one second I have to be 110% hyped for a movie if I see Hugh Jackman on set or Xavier dressed up as a pimp.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 09-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #29
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I'm full of flu. More like the sniff, sneeze and snot patrol at the moment.

I don't think anyone wants to see Hugh Jackman on set for First Class.

I also don't think the production for Wolverine or X3 'looked terrible', but I understand the issues you have, though i don't have as many complaints (or they don't matter as much to me) with those films. I actually think Ratner might have made a better Wolverine movie than Gavin Hood!

I think once we get proper footage, it'll be easier to judge. Emma Frost does look sort of Frost-like to me, given that we knew of the 60s setting.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #30
chaseter
Bland User

I had the flu last week...it sucked. Hope you feel better.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #31
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I had the flu last week...it sucked. Hope you feel better.
Thanks...

(Were you joking about the working for Sony bit, or what? Irony is hard to detect on here!)

Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #32
chaseter
Bland User

HAHA yeah I don't work for Sony. I know someone who works for Microsoft so that is the extent of my corporate leanings. But I hate the i-series of products so I am a masochist.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #33
Retroman
Side-Kick

Anyone think the field costume Storm wears in X3 looks similar to the First Class outfits?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #34
Rac
Deadite

^ That costume was probably the only goddamn thing I liked about X3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayes View Post
some fans are speculating that first class is not rebooting but retconning x3 and orgins.

or is first class a true reboot?
It is certainly retconning X-Men Origins: Wolverine, maybe even X3.

Quote:
and if so how is it that we are getting wolverine 2?
The Wolverine is not a sequel to XMOW. "It has nothing to do with the previous film(s) or the universe", as Aronofsky himself said.

Quote:
and a reboot of Deadpool with RR?
Most probably. The leaked script doesn't reference the events of XMOW at all. There's one little thing, but it doesn't really count. Oh, and Rodriguez is not signed on or anything.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #35
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

It's neither, it's a prequel. The "reconciling the films continuity" is an interesting thread too

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #36
Calvin
Muchas smooches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac View Post
^ That costume was probably the only goddamn thing I liked about X3.

It is certainly retconning X-Men Origins: Wolverine, maybe even X3.

The Wolverine is not a sequel to XMOW. "It has nothing to do with the previous film(s) or the universe", as Aronofsky himself said.
I think we should all be ecstatic that neither Vaughn nor Aronofsky are being forced to pay any mind at all to either of those monstrosities. In fact, I'd love it if Singer/Vaughn would go on after this and direct "X3."

Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #37
Calvin
Muchas smooches

Double post, somehow.

Last edited by Calvin; 02-11-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #38
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I can hope. I don't think we'll ever overcome the fact that Fox/Ratner ruined the characters of Cyclops, Rogue and Phoenix in X3. They ruined them so bad that there is no way to redeem them and the serious seemed broken. Never mind how anti-climactic the ending is. With a $200 million budget Ratner couldn't make something as epic and suspense as the ending to X1 which was made for less than half that price tag. Vaughn/Singer are going far enough back that the failures of X3 are unimportant. Perhaps they are pretending it just never happened.

But there really is no way to fix what they did to Jean, Scott and Rogue. That is truly unfortunate.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #39
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I can hope. I don't think we'll ever overcome the fact that Fox/Ratner ruined the characters of Cyclops, Rogue and Phoenix in X3. They ruined them so bad that there is no way to redeem them and the serious seemed broken. Never mind how anti-climactic the ending is. With a $200 million budget Ratner couldn't make something as epic and suspense as the ending to X1 which was made for less than half that price tag. Vaughn/Singer are going far enough back that the failures of X3 are unimportant. Perhaps they are pretending it just never happened.

But there really is no way to fix what they did to Jean, Scott and Rogue. That is truly unfortunate.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #40
J.Howlett

Unless Singer decides to remake X3, DACrowe...

...because it does seem that he'll come back to the director chair for this franchise in pretty soon.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #41
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

If this film does well, and The Wolverine is like any other Aronofsky film, then I think the shortcomings of X3 will be well forgotten. It would be interesting to see if Fox dares for an X4, though probably it won't happen. If First Class spawns sequels, with teenaged Cyclops, Jean etc. it shouldn't be a problem to fans at least.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:

Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #42
Calvin
Muchas smooches

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Unless Singer decides to remake X3, DACrowe...

...because it does seem that he'll come back to the director chair for this franchise in pretty soon.
And not even consider it a remake. The good thing is that the official title of... that third X-men movie or whatever, didn't even have "X3" or "X-men 3" in it, if I recall correctly. Wasn't it simply "X-men: The Last Stand"? So X-Men 3 simply hasn't been made yet, at all.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #43
J.Howlett

Calvin,

Very true. Just call it X3.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #44
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
I loved that, wish there was more like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
And not even consider it a remake. The good thing is that the official title of... that third X-men movie or whatever, didn't even have "X3" or "X-men 3" in it, if I recall correctly. Wasn't it simply "X-men: The Last Stand"? So X-Men 3 simply hasn't been made yet, at all.
Very good point! I wonder if producers would think like that? Seeing as how they kept an eye for titles during X-Men Origins.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #45
Calvin
Muchas smooches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
I loved that, wish there was more like it.

Very good point! I wonder if producers would think like that? Seeing as how they kept an eye for titles during X-Men Origins.
Sadly, I doubt they would ever think like that.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #46
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

@Calvin

I know that X2 had that logo, so it's still officially 'X-MEN 2', but they also wrote 'X-MEN UNITED' on the titles. The continuity would look like this:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men First Class
The Wolverine
X-Men
X-Men United
X-Men The Last Stand

So, the next film set 'in a not too distant future' wouldn't have to be numbered at all. It works better that way!

Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #47
J.Howlett

But Bryan Singer has specifically stated that it's not called X-Men United. That was what Fox came up with.

The film is called X2.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #48
Calvin
Muchas smooches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
@Calvin

I know that X2 had that logo, so it's still officially 'X-MEN 2', but they also wrote 'X-MEN UNITED' on the titles. The continuity would look like this:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men First Class
The Wolverine
X-Men
X-Men United
X-Men The Last Stand

So, the next film set 'in a not too distant future' wouldn't have to be numbered at all. It works better that way!
Well I'm just basing it off of how the movies are listed in IMDB, which is "X-men", "X2", and then "X-Men: The Last Stand." I'm not 100% sure what their official "official titles" are.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #49
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I wish Singer would just go ahead and do X3. FOX made their money from Last Stand nothing to lose in dumping it now haha.

Just imagine the X franchise going forward with Singer on the regular timeline and Vaughn doing the prequels. Awesomeness.

henzINNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #50
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

@ Calvin

True, same here. But this looks so much neater doesn't it? Sequels should drop the numbers from their titles altogether. Maybe I'm wrong in that, but then again maybe I'm right

Last edited by Nave 'Torment'; 02-11-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: clarity