The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #301
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Terrible news... J.R. himself, Larry Hagman, has passed away from complications of his recent battle of cancer. His co-stars Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy were at his bedside when he passed.

He had shot part of season 2 prior to his death... no telling what effects this will have on the show. I don't think a recasting is going to do the trick, they ought to face it like they did on 8 Simple Rules when John Ritter died.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #302
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Oh no. Very sad.

Though this is the smallest of concerns, I can't even begin to imagine how the show will progress without J.R.. He was such a big part of making the remake great. Hopefully they filmed enough to get the second season going and then John Ross can take over J.R.'s role (with Cliff substituting as well).

Old 11-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #303
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Damn, man. RIP, Mr. Hagman.

Recasting would be absolutely blasphemous. He was that role. They're just going to have to write it in. Taking any other approach would be disrespectful.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #304
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Agreed. They can't even begin to think of a recast. Hagman is J.R.. It is that simple. Luckily Henderson has proven to be VERY good and I am sure he will be capable of picking up right where Hagman left off. Plus if the writers are clever, J.R.'s influence (through his actions prior to death and John Ross) will be able to be felt throughout the show for at least a little while.

It actually is odd to think about, because Dallas is very soap opera-esque, but a J.R. farewell episode should actually prove to be very good. Gray and Duffy were both very close with Hagman in real life (Duffy and Hagman's friendship has always been very strong, Duffy returned to Dallas as a personal favor to his friend, which brought on the famous shower scene). I'm sure a lot of that will pour over. It could actually make for a tremendous television arc.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #305
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I can only imagine how hard this will hit Bobby.

I just wonder how far into production they are for this season, and how much will need to be rewritten.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #306
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

I'd say with the new season starting in January they are probably at least half way through. My guess is that they will use J.R. in an off screen capacity to fill the gaps of what they don't have until either the midseason finale or the season finale (depending on how far along they are) in which the cliffhanger will be his death.

The only good news is, this show moves at such a breakneck pace that all of the plot points introduced in the finale will probably be resolved by the second episode of the season and we'll be knee deep into new plots by the time this comes into play so maybe they can adapt accordingly to give J.R. a fitting conclusion before writing him off?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #307
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

I almost feel like the mid-season premiere should feature a time leap of a year or so and begin with J.R.'s death. I'd say it is a safe bet that John Ross will be filling the J.R. role, but John Ross lacks the maturity, patience, connections and cunning to really be the thorn in Bobby's side that J.R. was. A time skip can really establish that John Ross had been learning from this father and help explain a change in character to help him fill the J.R. role.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #308
Asgard
Kanga Fu

Rip.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #309
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I guess I just have to wonder how they approached things back in the original series when the actor playing Jock died...

Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #310
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Very sad.

I wonder if this will alter Bobby's illness storyline given JR being killed off will mean that has nowhere to really go. I also wonder if they might write him out with a who killed JR? 2.0.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #311
vantheman77
Side-Kick

We send our condolences to Larry Hagman's family. He was best known for I Dream of Jeannie and Dallas. Recently, he's in the new Dallas. He will be missed by his family, friends, fans, and the show business community worldwide.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #312
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

I wonder how they'll approach Bobby as a whole? What exactly will his role in the series be without J.R.? Bobby in and of himself is a very boring character. His dynamic and clashes with J.R. have always been what made him interesting. What do they do with him now?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #313
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I wonder how they'll approach Bobby as a whole? What exactly will his role in the series be without J.R.? Bobby in and of himself is a very boring character. His dynamic and clashes with J.R. have always been what made him interesting. What do they do with him now?
An arc of mourning and learning to cope with the loss of his brother, before being left to deal with whatever villains and scumbags are thrown at him, only this time without JR.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #314
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'd say with the new season starting in January they are probably at least half way through. My guess is that they will use J.R. in an off screen capacity to fill the gaps of what they don't have until either the midseason finale or the season finale (depending on how far along they are) in which the cliffhanger will be his death.
They have to be. The podcast interview Cynthia Cidre did about two weeks ago, she revealed the air dates and titles for the first five episodes of season 2. So, if shooting one episode takes a week (give or take a few days), they have 7 out of 15 episodes shot. (Provided Hagman shot all his scenes for those prior to his hospitalization.)

And the producers likely had a contingency plan or two in place in case Hagman's condition worsened (he did start treatment for the throat cancer while shooting season 1 and he could've died then). So they're not going to be in the dark on this one. But the producers and Josh Hutcherson have to step up their game and tread carefully.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 11-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #315
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Well, USA Today said that six out of the 15 episodes had been shot at the time of Hagman's death.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...ewing/1723837/

"Come Think With Us."
Old 11-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #316
riotgirl77
TVEA C.D. & Writer

So sad.... I really hope they don't recast J.R. and man he was really a presence on Dallas.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 AM   #317
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

They won't recast. They'll just write him out.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #318
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

So sad to hear though they must have known that he was battling cancer and the risks were high so it should have been in the back of their minds of what would they do if he did die

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #319
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

RIP to the man that played one of the most dastardly villains in TV history. Fond memories will ever last.

Quote:
had been shot at the time of Hagman's death.
I see what you did there.

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #320
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

This is sad news. Hopefully John Ross will follow in his daddy's steps and become the devious villain everyone will love.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #321
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Sad and shocking news. I'm also wondering how they'll continue without JR. The thing is that Cliff Barnes will have mostly lost his reason to keep fighting, because his main axe to grind is with JR himself. Traditionally, he was more sympathetic towards Bobby and the others.

Also, wasn't Ted Shackleford planning to feature in a two parter? Will that change his storyline? Instead of whatever it was meant to be (if it involved JR) he'll mostly be coming just to mourn.

And Bobby will just be there as the patriarch of the family now, but won't be acting as a true moderating influence on the Ewing brothers. I suppose John Ross will have to fill the villain role, but he's rather small fry compared to JR.

And that also means that they only have 2 original regular cast members unless they bring someone else in (like Ken Kercheval) more permanently.

I also agree that they'll probably have to drop Bobby's illness. They can't have JR die and then Bobby possibly in danger of that as well.

I wonder what is the best way to honour JR's character? Just have a farewell tribute, or have another whodunnit to rival the classic Who Shot JR? But would that be in bad taste if they did that?

Old 11-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #322
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Bobby's illness was a TV illness anyway. ****, the guy had a brain aneurysm and was up and about again the very next day.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #323
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I guess I just have to wonder how they approached things back in the original series when the actor playing Jock died...
It was all handled off screen. Jock was on a trip to somewhere (I can't remember where - possibly South America). They didn't show him actually leaving. He was just absent for a number of episodes. Then they heard that his plane went down. JR and Bobby (and possibly Ray) went to search for him, but they never found his body in the wreckage and had trouble coming to terms with his death.

It was actually played out quite a long time. There was even an imposter later on claiming to be Jock who had supposedly had plastic surgery from the wreckage, but seemed to know a lot of inside information that only Jock should know. In the end it was shown that he just got his info from another source (possibly he had been with Jock when he died).

Then there was that painting on the wall of South Fork of Jim Davis that hung for a long time. Maybe they'll do something similar and have one of Larry Hagman.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #324
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

It's been a while since I saw the finale but I thought Bobby's illness storyline was done? Or did they leave it ambiguous so it can come back should they want it to? Anyway, I don't think they should do another who shot JR storyline. It's been done before and it's kind of in bad taste, IMO. They should just say it was old age. Hagman was 81 so I'm sure JR was the same age as well. A tribute episode would be nice. They recently did one for John Ingle who was the patriarch of the Quartermaine family in General Hospital. The actor died so they killed off his character too and the funeral/tribute episode was nicely done IMO. They could do something similar.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #325
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Extremely sad to hear. Got to be honest, the media really likes to tout that these guys are completely "fully recovered" from cancer when its likely they aren't.

I imagine they will give JR a big memorial in the show even though JR's reputation was basically being a snake and the most evil man possible.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote