The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #376
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 73,044
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

John Ross/Rebecca is only vaguely interesting to me.

The kidnapping/brainwashing Ann's daughter thing is where it's at for me.

__________________
DS AND THE AGENTS OF
*L.A.M.E.*


H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #377
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!
 
Prison Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Clink
Posts: 38,621
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

I don't really care much about that storyline. I guess both will be put on the back burner when JR dies.

Prison Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #378
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 21,587
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
Me too. I love that she is sweet on the surface but an actual badass deep down. John Ross teaming up with her is going to be interesting.
That won't last though. The Ewings and the Barnes are destined to be bitter enemies forever. Rebecca knows that John Ross will try to double cross her at some point.

And I think Rebecca is sweet deep down. Although she wasn't being truthful last season, there were glimpses of her actually caring for Christopher. She did try to come clean about writing the letter to Elena.

And what name is she actually going by now? Is it Pamela? But that will be confusing. She should just stick to Rebecca since that is her real middle name anyway, and we haven't had a Rebecca Barnes since... well, since Cliff's mother, Rebecca Barnes Wentworth. If she goes by Pamela, well everyone still thinks of Victoria Principal as Pamela, and it's not like she isn't still mentioned every now and then.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
John Ross/Rebecca is only vaguely interesting to me.


The kidnapping/brainwashing Ann's daughter thing is where it's at for me.
Don't think it's really brainwashing as such. She was just raised by her father and grandmother to think ill of her mother - probably told a certain story and always grew up believing it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
I don't really care much about that storyline. I guess both will be put on the back burner when JR dies.
Yeah, I find that storyline boring too. And I agree it will probably be pushed to the side when JR dies, since the writers had to rewrite the entire 2nd half of the 2nd season. I do hope "Who Killed JR?" will live up to the original "Who Shot JR?" mystery. And I see that there's already one person JR has pissed off - that senator or governor whom he blackmailed to get Sue Ellen off the charges.

I wonder what will happen to Raza now that he's gone behind Rebecca's back and given that phone to Christopher.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #379
DarKush
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,654
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Two thoughts:

1. I don't buy Judith Light as Mitch Pileggi's mother. I mean, what's the age difference there? It can't be more than a few years, surely...

2. The character she's playing is creepy as ****. The whole thing was creepy as ****. And I can't wait to see how it plays out.
That wierded me out too. I think it would've been better if she was playing Harris's sister. They could still do the creepy thing and it would be more believable.

They really should've gotten an older actress for Harris's mother and perhaps saved Judith Light to be a rival to Sue Ellen or Bobby.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #380
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 73,044
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Whatever Linda Gray did with her hair between this season and the last has done wonders. She looks years younger than she did last year.

__________________
DS AND THE AGENTS OF
*L.A.M.E.*


H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #381
rashad
Hype Board Junkie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,319
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

At tonight's ending!

__________________

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #382
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!
 
Prison Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Clink
Posts: 38,621
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

That was crazy!

__________________
Michael Scott: You don't call retarded people retards. It's bad taste. You call your friends retards when they're acting retarded.
Prison Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #383
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 73,044
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Harris really should've searched that bag.

But Ann, seriously, there is no way this will end well for you. What the **** are you thinking?

__________________
DS AND THE AGENTS OF
*L.A.M.E.*


H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #384
Frodo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,675
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
Me too. I love that she is sweet on the surface but an actual badass deep down. John Ross teaming up with her is going to be interesting.
I agree. I find her much more attractive as a bad ass then when she was playing the cliche' good girl.

For some reason , I just find Christopher kinda whiney at times. Its hard to root for him when he comes off as kinda spoiled even though his character isn't supposed to be.

I think it has more to do with how they write him than the actor, because I found him more likeable on Desperate Housewives and their his morals were alot worse.Lol.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #385
rashad
Hype Board Junkie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,319
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Yeah Rebecca is sexy as hell to me this season because she's being bad.

__________________

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #386
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 21,587
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Yeah, that was an unexpected ending. Should've just let JR handle it. How does Ann expect Emma to warm to her now? She did the worse thing possible.

Rebecca was sexy today, especially when in her underwear. And I guess we're still calling Julie Gonzalo Rebecca, even though they've taken to calling her Pamela? I wish they brought back the real Pamela Barnes Ewing though - ie Victoria Principal. And when is Afton supposed to show up?

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #387
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Snow-covered Mountain top
Posts: 140,930
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

This show is just so much fun! I didn't see that ending coming, I expected her to pull a gun on Ryland but to end up not using it, then BANG! Now it looks like Bobby is going to get arrested for it.

The shame is that I liked the scene with Bobby and JR where it looked like we were going to see some classic JR scheming. I wonder if Hagman died before they had a chance to play out JR's plan and this ending to Ryland was shot after he died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Whatever Linda Gray did with her hair between this season and the last has done wonders. She looks years younger than she did last year.
Agreed, I was thinking while watching this ep how much better she was looking this season, I didn't realize it was the hair change though until reading your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
Yeah Rebecca is sexy as hell to me this season because she's being bad.
She is a very pretty girl, but has that scar on the bridge of her nose become more prominent this season?

__________________
"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"
Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #388
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights
 
Primal Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,342
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

It still looks the same it did last season. Though I am always happy to see an actor with a flaw that doesnt hinder them from getting work.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #389
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Snow-covered Mountain top
Posts: 140,930
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
It still looks the same it did last season. Though I am always happy to see an actor with a flaw that doesnt hinder them from getting work.
Agreed especially with actresses as they get ridiculous criticisms of every part of their appearance., It's why I like Daniela Ruah on NCIS: LA, she has a birthmark in her right eye but it doesn't detract from her IMO.

__________________
"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"
Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #390
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 21,587
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
This show is just so much fun! I didn't see that ending coming, I expected her to pull a gun on Ryland but to end up not using it, then BANG! Now it looks like Bobby is going to get arrested for it.

The shame is that I liked the scene with Bobby and JR where it looked like we were going to see some classic JR scheming. I wonder if Hagman died before they had a chance to play out JR's plan and this ending to Ryland was shot after he died.



Agreed, I was thinking while watching this ep how much better she was looking this season, I didn't realize it was the hair change though until reading your post.



She is a very pretty girl, but has that scar on the bridge of her nose become more prominent this season?
What scar? I've never noticed before.

What I liked about the scene with JR and Bobby was that Bobby was coming to his older brother for help, and JR was seemingly genuinely helping him out of the goodness of his heart.

But why do you say Bobby is going to get arrested for Anne's shooting?

I don't know if this ending was something that was filmed later. I wonder if scenes with JR will be chopped up and edited in such a way to make the story for this season make more sense and fit in with their plotline they had to develop in light of Hagman's death.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #391
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!
 
Prison Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Clink
Posts: 38,621
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Never noticed a scar on Julie's nose before.

Prison Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #392
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 21,587
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Apparently Deborah Shelton is NOT returning to Dallas this season:

Quote:

Sue Ellen will have nighmares when JR’s most famous mistress Mandy Winger and his second wife Cally return to Dallas in the episode bidding farewell to JR.

TVguide revealed today that Deborah Shelton who played Mandy in the original series from 1984 – 1987 will return to say a few words at the memorial service. Fans of the original series will remember that Mandy left the series in 1987 threatening Sue Ellen with “You’ll hear from me again”, well it’s taken 26 years.

Cathy Podewell who played JR’s young bride Cally Harper will also be back. Cally was last seen holding JR’s child in the original series.

They join original cast members Steve Kanaly (Ray Krebbs), Charlene Tilton (Ray Krebbs) , Ted Shakelford (Gary Ewing) and Ken Kercheval (Cliff Barnes). More announcements are expected soon.

Sadly according to Deborah Rennard who played Sly the script was rewritten and she is no longer taking part. Deborah informed us that talks were underway for her return but the situation changed.

Let’s hope they change their mind and Sly can return to say a fond farewell to her old boss.

http://www.ultimatedallas.com/dallas...as-tnt-return/

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #393
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 21,587
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Had to do this as two posts as it's rather long.

Interview with Joan Van Ark on her return to Dallas and on the question of seeing Knots Landing characters appearing:

Quote:

Joan Van Ark : ‘I put as much or more into this limited effort as I have in carrying a movie. I swear to God. It meant that much to me

Joan Van Ark, who is about to return to our screens as Valene Ewing, talks about her return to Dallas on TNT, memories of Larry Hagman and the responsibility of bringing back a beloved character.

Joan Van Ark - . Now did you see the two hour (season two) opener last Monday?

Colin – Yes, yeah.

Joan Van Ark - Right, let’s hear from both of you. Let’s hear the review.

Colin - Yeah I thought it was really good. I actually thought it was an improvement on season one as it felt more like Dallas (the original).


Joan Van Ark - The traditional Dallas?

Colin – Yes. It takes a bit of getting used to as it is a bit more fast-paced as opposed to the original series. I thought compared to season one Linda Gray’s character of Sue Ellen felt more integrated into the fabric of the show.

Joan Van Ark - I think that’s one of the biggest changes of season two, although I have not seen a frame of season two. I had a scene with her and she gets more gorgeous, accomplished and all of it. I think that’s going to be a gorgeous leap and a positive and wonderful enrichment of that character. It’s a delicious character and all of it is very special but I think they are enhancing everything which is what happens with a good team when they keep evolving it and creating it and making it better and better.

Josh - I thought season one was like a ten part pilot, kind of setting the table and then season two….

Joan Van Ark - ….will be the meal. It will be more of the meal then. If they are setting the table then you start to bring the appetizers and the main course.

Josh - Exactly. Then you bring back the Barnes-Ewing feud and everything, which was kind of out there but not really there in season one.

Joan Van Ark - What I loved in season one and I’m hoping they mind this in season two, I love the cross-generational weave. They have love stories, they have conflicts and greed, backstabbing and all of it but it’s cross-generational. It’s what David E Kelley did on Boston Legal or Private Practice, maybe both actually but they had Holland Taylor as sexy and vital and appealing as anybody. It’s like JR says to Sue Ellen in season one, one of the things that jumps out to me, “You’re still the prettiest woman in the room” and he looked her right in the eye and said that and I mean my god that’s ageless, I thought that was pure, pure gold. I love they have done it cross generational where the young titans with all their jealousy and love but it still exists too with the other generation. I love that.

Colin - While we are on this subject, we did receive a question in relation to this. We recently spoke to David Jacobs and he loves the show but he did feel certain elements were perhaps too plot driven in comparison to original Dallas or Knots Landing where it was very character driven. Do you feel that’s true?

Joan Van Ark - Yes, I do but what I have loved so far, I feel they have been – and I know this is why Larry, Linda and Patrick were attracted to it – I think they have realized the responsibility and core of each character and they haven’t violated that, they have enhanced it. And that’s a gift right there, that’s Cynthia Cidre doing her magic because it’s never violated the core of who they are. Then it digs deeper and in fact adds more, you know like dropping a pebble in a pond and you’ve got rings that go out from that. So I think she [Cynthia Cidre] and I tribute her for that, of not just tossing out what is the core of Bobby as the moral upright one and JR with his shenanigans and Sue Ellen we’re not sure and we’re probably going to continue to not be sure through this second season because everybody’s responsibilities have changed with the absence of JR. Here is the thing I want to say about David (Jacobs) too. In reflection having been down there, it was like a class reunion of sorts which I have never attended but every time I revisit Dallas or Knots Landing those are my High School reunions. But David Jacobs has supplied a sorority of actors with the most delicious golden parts which have gone on and on and on to fulfill the actors and the fans. I say god bless David Jacobs.

Josh - Patrick Duffy called Dallas the gift that keeps on giving.

Joan Van Ark - It’s exactly that and David wrapped up the box and put a bow on it. Actually Lenny Katzman and a lot of them put the bow on it but David gave the gift box and the rest is frosting and wonderful frosting.

Josh - We have received quite a few questions from the fans. Everyone is really excited to see you back. It’s for three episodes right?

Joan Van Ark - Ted is three and Joan is one.

Josh - Joan is one? Oh.

Joan Van Ark - I know. I don’t know how to dance around this. I am grateful, honored, thrilled, all of it but when I got the word that was the situation, I’m not going to say it broke my heart, I won’t say that but it’s the storyline too and that they had written before Larry passing so they stuck with it and I see why because Ted had filmed before Christmas the first of his three. I am honored to contribute in any way possible because it’s the diving board of my whole television career at least, although I have done a lot of Broadway and theater. I owe Dallas everything I got and I was thrilled and honored even though I must say it’s minimal, it’s a thrill and an honor and I will be there what, when, how they want or need me.

Josh - Without giving much away too much, we know you can’t reveal much but can you reveal any details as to what brings Val back to Dallas? There are rumors of a connection with Sue Ellen; there are rumors of marital problems between Gary and Val.

Joan Van Ark - Well, you’re right. I’m not allowed to say anything. But, I will say this: I think Cynthia Cidre knows EXACTLY what she’s doing, and there are fabulous story lines for both Gary and Sue Ellen, whether or not they are connected, I won’t say, but I do think the fans will love it!

Josh - Ted is in the episode, but is Charlene in the same episode?

Joan Van Ark - Yes she is.

Josh - What was it like getting back with Ted and Charlene after all this time?

Joan Van Ark - Well I see Ted socially and I do see Charlene too. We did a couple of game shows, we did Pyramid once and she actually won it for me/us, we were a team. But it was really something to be on the set, I call her my little girl and just to be there with her was an emotional scene. Playing the scene with Ted it’s almost like there was no separation, once we looked at each other and doing the scene it was like there was no gap. It’s weird. It’s five thousand years since we acted Gary and Val together and yet it was right there. It was weird.

Josh - It was interesting to note that Lucy always seemed to be ignored after her one visit to Knots Landing and to reconnect with her after all these years must’ve been interesting for the dynamic of these two characters.

Joan Van Ark - Well yes, and also just high energy because when you bring a puppy or a dog back into a house and he hasn’t seen you in several months or years or whatever, he goes crazy. We had a kind of excitement, I don’t know if Charlene would say that, but there was this pitter-pat kind of thing because it’s the actor in a way along with the character reuniting, so it was special.

Josh - As far as Val in 2013, has she moved away from being “poor Val”?

Joan Van Ark - Well, see that was my—yes, that’s a great question. That was my intrigue and excitement to see Cynthia or her team of writers might visualize Valene and I think there’s a clue and because it was the last scene of the night, 9:00 at night after a full day of shooting and that’s when we got to this scene, I’m not sure how it comes off but it was a clue and I kind of liked it and I went with it very strongly where I could’ve softened it maybe and I still wrestle with that. I run 10 miles every day and I wrestle within the run — “Should I have been lightened up and more vintage Val or should I have done it the way I did it?” and it’s done and it’s out there so I feel it would be more interesting that she grows and evolves and becomes stronger. If not stronger, then maybe bitter, but I don’t think she’s a bitter person. I think she’s got a great spirit and a goodness about her that she wouldn’t be bitter.

Josh - Right. I believe you said in one article that you would like to see her in a modern day position of power in a movie studio or something.

Joan Van Ark - Absolutely. Absolutely. I think the arc of going from where she came from to something like that shows the potential she had or has and I would love to see that realized.

Josh - Is there a danger of there being a dramatic dead end at that point?

Joan Van Ark - Well, that’s a very good point. That’s very good. If everything is smooth sailing, it’s boring. There is a way to have the strength but have the conflict which is tucked away in this minimal contribution that I do on the upcoming episode. It’s a possible way to have conflict there.

Josh - Interesting.

Joan Van Ark - Mmm hmm!

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"

Last edited by Dark Raven; 02-07-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #394
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 21,587
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Interview with Joan Van Ark part 2:

Quote:

Josh - We’ll see how this season, obviously, Val & Gary’s only children, you had the twins, and I believe you did an interview with Bob McCormick. There was a picture of the actress who played Betsy.

Joan Van Ark - Aren’t they gorgeous?

Josh and Colin - Yeah!

Josh - Do we find anything out about the twins? Do they exist in this universe?

Joan Van Ark - There certainly wasn’t any mention in this go-round at all about them, and you know what? My guess is there won’t be because Cynthia has mentioned in another interview about rights to the character. All of us who were in fact on DALLAS, the original, those are the only characters who Cynthia and Mike (Robin) have the rights to. Betsy and Bobby are a pure Knots Landing creation, so I don’t think there’s going to be any link-up with that.

Colin – That’s right, because I think she was quite interested in the character of Abby as well but I get that there’s issues around that potentially.

Joan Van Ark - Yes, the rights.

Josh - I know Cynthia met you, Joan, and Michele (Lee) and Donna (Mills) at an event last year?


Joan Van Ark - Yes, an amazing event. The Paley/Warner Brothers Exhibit 50 Years of Television. “Knots” is there and “Dallas” is there and there’s three amazing outfits from “Knots Landing”. I wanted the photo op with three dummies in front of the dummies.


Josh - Do you think “Knots Landing” fans will be satisfied with where Gary and Val are at this point in their lives?

Joan Van Ark - Well I think it’s very much left a question mark. In fact, Ted and I were talking and felt we needed one more scene, a kind of period on the sentence, or not. We needed a button maybe on what you will see, so I would say it’s a question mark.

Josh - So it’s left open that there could be another return at some point in the future?

Joan Van Ark - I don’t know. I’m sure with Ted there will be because he’s Ewing blood and he has rights. So much of this is about the rights and who owns this and that how much percentage of Southfork is theirs and Ted being a Ewing is far more involved in that. It’s a lot of the platform of what this reboot is all about. Ecology against old school.

Josh - Obviously with Larry not being there anymore, there’s a dynamic that Patrick would need a brother to bounce off of.

Joan Van Ark - Yes. Correct.

Josh - Does that leave open that Ted could be willing to come back a little more?

Joan Van Ark - I’m sure that that’s true because, you’re right, there’s a void, and he needs a family connection, and it might mean a closer relationship between the two of them. I think the possibilities are limitless for Ted. I really do.

Josh - JR and Jock were obviously what drove him away. Now they’re both gone.

Joan Van Ark - Exactly.

Josh - What are your memories of Larry Hagman? You obviously shared some wonderful scenes and mentioned earlier that he (JR) thought Valene was pond scum but how was it working with him on the set?

Joan Van Ark - There is nothing, I mean, Larry’s mother played Peter Pan, and was one of my mother’s favorite shows. There’s a song in Peter Pan, the musical, “I Won’t Grow Up”. Peter Pan would sing it— “I won’t grow up, I will never even try.” You know, way better. The thing is, that is Larry, to my heart and soul, and that is the heart and soul of a good actor. An actor has to be a child, willing to open it up and not protect and let it all show and let it all be out there heart and soul, whatever it is. Larry had a forever, ever, ever young attitude about life, and work, and all of it. He said, “Don’t worry, be happy, feel good.” All these things are Larry, Larry, Larry, Larry. I just couldn’t believe it about him dying because he is the antithesis of death. He’s everything about life. He loved acting, he loved working, I loved being on the set with him. He would shoot peanut butter through his teeth off-camera.

(Colin & Josh laugh)

Joan Van Ark - Yeah, how’s that for playing opposite somebody when it’s a dramatic emotional scene, and he’ll shoot peanut butter between his teeth on the off-camera dialogue? He and Patrick together were just two little devils. But it kept the set the way it’s supposed to be – light and comfortable and loose so that you can do your best work. When it gets tense, you tighten up and the work isn’t the best. Patrick has maintained that it’s one of the most profound moments that I had when I was just now down in Dallas. Patrick has assumed the role of the host. It’s silent, it’s subtle and it’s totally there. God bless him because he puts his arms around me and it was just so special. It’s one of the strongest moments I had down there. The other two were seeing “J.R. Ewing” on the door of the trailer –that got my heart and soul—and he’s number one on the call sheet. That got my heart and soul. Working with Larry was working with the best child, the best actor, the most fun-loving, crazy, wonderful person in the world.

Josh - An eighty-one year old that looks at the world like a five year old, just, with wonder….

Joan Van Ark - Yeah! It’s a gift.

Josh - A lot of fans were disappointed that you were not going to have any scenes with him.

Joan Van Ark - Oh! You know when my manager was called from Dallas to ask me to do an episode, they said “She’s going to have a lot of fun with Linda and Larry.” Oh, my heart. Here’s the thing. I was running—I run, as I said, ten miles a day, and I had done a longer run the day after Thanksgiving. I took my radio with me because I am a Lakers freak. I love the Lakers and I listen to the games. I had turned in off, and for some unknown reason at 7:30 I had turned it back on. They were just saying “this news bulletin out of Dallas, Texas. Actor Larry Hagman has passed away in Dallas.” I just couldn’t even breathe. I couldn’t believe I had turned it on at the second they were saying it. I couldn’t run, I couldn’t walk, I couldn’t do anything. It was just a shock.

Josh - That reminded me of how Colin mentioned that one of the great things about the original “Dallas” series was that characters finding out big news like that on the radio, you’d get to see their reactions and it was just….do you know how Val reacts to the news that he (JR ) has died? They obviously didn’t have the best relationship.

Joan Van Ark - I know, and I didn’t….I have to be so careful. I think that would be a very interesting…you know I was out at Southfork to have this fitting, and I thought “Why couldn’t I just be behind the bushes and pull a Jimmy Kimmel?” Like over-the-shoulder when they’re on Ted for a close-up, there’s her silly little face popping up behind the bushes either with tears or not, whatever. What’s wrong with that shot?
(Colin and Josh laugh)

Joan Van Ark - So I thought about that but I didn’t think they would like that.

Josh - It’s funny, we were probably at Southfork at the same time but we didn’t run into each other.

Joan Van Ark -I’m sure we were.

Josh - Did you get to interact with John Ross at all, or much of the new cast?

Joan Van Ark - No, and let me tell you something. From the Paley Center event in April or May of last year when I met Cynthia Cidre and Mike Robin, the guys, they all came together—Linda, Larry, Patrick, and the two guys, Christopher and John Ross—I hyperventilated looking at those guys. I want a storyline with those two guys! Oh my God!

(Colin and Josh laugh)

Joan Van Ark - I know, I know. You want to know if Valene’s evolved? Let’s put Valene in the middle of those two guys. For crying out loud t/span Oh! You know when my manager was called from Dallas to ask me to do an episode, they said “She’s going to have a lot of fun with Linda and Larry.” Oh, my heart. Here’s the thing. I was running—I run, as I said, ten miles a day, and I had done a longer run the day after Thanksgiving. I took my radio with me because I am a Lakers freak. I love the Lakers and I listen to the games. I had turned in off, and for some unknown reason at 7:30 I had turned it back on. They were just saying “this news bulletin out of Dallas, Texas. Actor Larry Hagman has passed away in Dallas.” I just couldn’t even breathe. I couldn’t believe I had turned it on at the second they were saying it. I couldn’t run, I couldn’t walk, I couldn’t do anything. It was just a shock. hey are gorgeous!! They are absolutely gorgeous and no I have nothing to do with them at all in this and all I would welcome is a storyline. I’ll show Gary and get involved with those two.

Josh - Ohhh, Mrs. Robinson!

Joan Van Ark - Either one or both. Either one or both is all I’ve got to say!

Josh - How do you feel the new cast is doing from what you’ve seen?

Joan Van Ark - I think it’s beautifully cast and as I watched all of the episodes at Christmas from season one, I saw an evolution of all of them. I think they’re beautifully cast and Brenda Strong is a quarterbackstrong for the show somehow. She’s a quiet, wonderful quarterback that kind of links everybody together as does Patrick but he always has so that’s not a discovery, but each of the younger ones have grown and grown and grown with each episode so I’m very very proud of them. I think /spanthey’re beautifully cast because whoever called the shots, which I would assume would be a team starting with Cynthia, Mike, and TNT, they chose well and they’re just all growing and getting richer. Not in dollars, but performance!

Josh - Was it easy to slip back into your character? I know in a previous interview you mentioned something about doing collages for your roles.

Joan Van Ark - I always do. You know, this time I had a folder. (Voice breaks with emotion) There’s a lot with Larry even though he wasn’t there. I did a limerick for his last big birthday that he had and I was lucky enough to be there. They printed in the CBS soap magazine that comes out every week. They reprinted it and did an interview with me and printed a couple of pictures of me kissing Larry at this Paley event as a matter of fact. It was Larry, and a picture of me with Linda because we always joked that we were going to take “Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?” on the road.
(Colin, Josh, & Joan laugh)

Joan Van Ark - So there’s Linda and me together at her big birthday party. I won’t say which birthday party, but she had a big birthday party and I was there so there was a two shot of us, Joan and Linda. Then I had a picture I love that was in the trailer with me because it’s part of my collage. It’s of Joan and Ted from the reunion—which was the chit chat reunion— and we’re sitting out on a bench in the cul-de-sac in front of our house. I’m looking at the script and Ted is patiently looking at me like “When is this dumb ***** going to put these pages down and finish filming this interview?”
(Colin & Josh laugh)

Joan Van Ark - He has the most patient, darling, wonderful, but “oh-my-god-let’s-get-this-over-with” type look on his face, so I have that two shot. Everything that meant to me, what this upcoming episode means to me, and Larry was front and center (voice breaks with emotion) I can’t believe I am getting upset about this. I did love him so much more than I ever realized.

Josh - Did you have any reservations about coming back to the show?

Joan Van Ark - No, never. Never. I embrace it, I welcome it. You know, I never thought I would—who would believe that this kind of thing of reinventing and rebooting something that’s a classic and returning to something you just said in season two as the original and better. But who would ever imagine to have it come full circle? I would embrace further investigating. I’ll tell you what: When I see the traditional characters, and you see them now, it’s just gold. You think, “Ah, that’s how they turned out!” It’s a wonderful discovery for the audience as much as it’s a gift to the actor, you know, I love it. I would kill to come back and I want to keep doing all my other things.

Josh - David Jacobs, in our interview, said that if he was going to do anything, he would be involved in a new “Knots Landing” if it ever came back. Would you jump back into “Knots Landing” again if that opportunity presented itself?

Joan Van Ark - Well, I don’t know how you couldn’t. It would seem crazy that you couldn’t. I have my own feelings about rebooting “Knots” because “Dallas” to me was iconic and a little over-the-top and big hair and big money and big greed and big everything. “Knots Landing” in my opinion was the template for all the good shows that are on now. Continuing stories played close to the bone, more reality-based, more identifiable, relatable, etcetera about us. Dallas was about them, the 1%, and it’s delicious to watch and a fabulous guilty pleasure, but “Knots Landing” was close to the bone about us. That’s why I think it lasted so long and why it might be a trickier reboot because everything that’s out there now is a bit of an echo of “Knots Landing”. Alan Ball said “Knots Landing” was one of his, if not his favorite, and he did “Six Feet Under” kind of based on “Knots Landing”.

Colin - Yeah, I remember reading that actually.

Joan Van Ark - Yes, when I read that I thought “Oh my god!” And there’s one of the greatest writer-producer-creators out there—if not THE greatest, alongside David Jacobs. But there he is, saying he patterned it after “Knots Landing”. Wow! So I think a reboot would be tricky, but it would be hard…. being the spinoff characters, Gary and Val, how could you not be a part of it?

Josh - Right. In coming back to “Dallas”, were there any major differences between working on the original series of “Dallas” and “Knots Landing” and the new version now? The switch to high definition and 16×9 and…

Joan Van Ark - Well, high definition I can’t wait for since I had the flu and some kind of eye infection which I just decided to ignore….
(Colin and Josh laugh)

Joan Van Ark -….but I don’t think the high-def cameras will ignore the fact that I had this eye situation and I didn’t feel 100% but I think the biggest thing is that you feel a bit like a guest in the house instead of part of the house. That’s what I discovered guest-starring on various shows since “Knots Landing” and “Dallas”. You do feel more like a visitor. Try as you may and as classy as one or maybe more of the resident cast might be, you still feel like a visitor and I don’t know how to explain it but it’s a little like being homesick at camp. If you live there, you don’t have any homesickness but when you’re a visitor there’s kind of sunkenness in the pit of your tummy that….you’re a visitor. You can’t get around that.

Josh - I know that Val—you always put so much care and emotion and energy into creating the character of Valene—did the writers on “Dallas” manage to capture that energy in the script?

Joan Van Ark - Hmm. It’s not that they didn’t capture it, but I guess, you know, I’d love to hear—and I’m sure there will be commentary—I’ll have to reserve that until it airs and there’s feedback. I don’t know. I don’t know. Film at eleven.
(Josh & Colin laugh)

Joan Van Ark - Film at eleven. Maybe that’s the best way to answer that and then you get back to me! Okay?

Colin - I think that was one of the concerns from “Knots” fans, the purist fans, they were just worried that the writers wouldn’t get Val in the same way the writers on “Knots Landing” did. I think that was a slight concern.

Joan Van Ark - Then I put my arms around and say “thank you” to the “Knots” fans who had that care because that means a lot to me and it was my concern, and as I say “film at eleven!” We’ll see. I realize totally the responsibility and the challenge of bringing her back, what, 20-some years later, so I couldn’t have been more—I put as much or more into this limited effort as I have in carrying a movie. I swear to God. It meant that much to me. Her as a character means that much to my actress’ heart and soul, and Joan Van Ark wanted to do the fans right, too, the ones that care….all three of them. (laughs)

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #395
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights
 
Primal Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,342
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Nice interview. They really need to work on getting the rights to knots characters. Would love to see Nicolette sheridan show up.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #396
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 21,587
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Like Joan Van Ark said, they don't mention the twins, Betsy and Bobby. The problem with those two is that Bobby was named after Bobby Ewing in honour of him after he died during the dream season. Those children, and everything on Knots Landing after that exist in a different universe. Not sure how they would reconcile those aspects or what they've done with Gary meeting Bobby again. I'm guessing they probably just ignored it though and hoped viewers forgot about it.

Maybe Dallas and Knots Landing need some kind of "Dallas: Days of Future Past" plotline to correct everything so it all aligns again.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #397
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights
 
Primal Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,342
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

I'm sure they could come up with a logical way to tie in the twins.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #398
Hunter Rider
**** SHH's Lawyers
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Snow-covered Mountain top
Posts: 140,930
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
What scar? I've never noticed before.

What I liked about the scene with JR and Bobby was that Bobby was coming to his older brother for help, and JR was seemingly genuinely helping him out of the goodness of his heart.

But why do you say Bobby is going to get arrested for Anne's shooting?

I don't know if this ending was something that was filmed later. I wonder if scenes with JR will be chopped up and edited in such a way to make the story for this season make more sense and fit in with their plotline they had to develop in light of Hagman's death.
You didn't notice the inch long scar on the bridge of her snotter?

Yeah I always love seeing that side of JR, he's ruthless but in the end his family comes first if someone is messing with them.

Because it's in the promo for next weeks ep lol.

They probably will have to do that up to the mid-way point, thankfully the nature of this show means that the writers inadvertently had lined up plenty of suspects for when his murder arc kicks in.

__________________
"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"
Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #399
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 73,044
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

I'm betting Harris lives (obviously) and tells the authorities that Bobby shot him because he knows that would hurt Ann much more than turning her in would.

__________________
DS AND THE AGENTS OF
*L.A.M.E.*


H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #400
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!
 
Prison Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Clink
Posts: 38,621
Default Re: TNT greenlights 'Dallas'

Poor Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I'm betting Harris lives (obviously) and tells the authorities that Bobby shot him because he knows that would hurt Ann much more than turning her in would.
That was pretty spot on

__________________
Michael Scott: You don't call retarded people retards. It's bad taste. You call your friends retards when they're acting retarded.
Prison Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.