The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #26
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: SyFy’s Being Human

I kind of like this show. I have not watched the BBC version so I am watching it with a clean slate so to speak. I'll check out future episodes for sure.

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
KALEL114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #27
ChickenScratch
Banned User

I watched the premiere last night. Not bad, but they seem to be screwing up their geography. You can clearly see street signs from Suffolk County which is in NY all over the place, but the cops were wearing Boston PD patches. There could be a Suffolk that I don't know of in Mass, but the signs would not by NY street signs.. Not a big deal, but it reminds me of that Phantom mini series where the dude who lived in Queens was said to be a few doors away from the chick who lived in New Jersey. When will film people learn their geography?

Otherwise it was good.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #28
carrrnuttt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
I watched the premiere last night. Not bad, but they seem to be screwing up their geography. You can clearly see street signs from Suffolk County which is in NY all over the place, but the cops were wearing Boston PD patches. There could be a Suffolk that I don't know of in Mass, but the signs would not by NY street signs.. Not a big deal, but it reminds me of that Phantom mini series where the dude who lived in Queens was said to be a few doors away from the chick who lived in New Jersey. When will film people learn their geography?

Otherwise it was good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffolk..._Massachusetts

Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #29
Paroxysm
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post

Otherwise it was good.
It's filmed in Montreal btw.

Paroxysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #30
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt View Post
And now I know. Though them having the NY styled Suffolk County could be explained by it being filmed in Canada and the set decorators just buying signs.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #31
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Pellegrino looks creepy as ****.
I was so happy to see him. I yelled that's Jacob/Lucifer!

Old 01-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #32
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

I'm recording the re-broadcast for the premiere and I'm stoaked.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #33
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
If they keep the same basic rules that were in first season of UK Being Human ( just got done with it and havent started S2 yet) then they arent that invincible since they dont have inhanced speed or much streangth.

But I thought this was ok, the effects were good and some of the changes were ncie aswell. Though dont know how I feel about the vamps having mind control powers. They also changed up the ghost death. Now we just need the main 3 to jel together since they didnt have that much time together in this episode.
I thought Witwer and Huntington had great chemistry. We just need to see more of how the two of them act with the girl.

H.E.(Y GURL HEEEEEY)
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #34
Nightwing 52
Things change

Had to catch the replay at 11 last night due to other things on my program list...But I thoroughly enjoyed the premiere. I thought Huntington and Witwer fit their characters like a glove. I'll definitely stick around for a few more episodes.
Quote:
I thought Witwer and Huntington had great chemistry. We just need to see more of how the two of them act with the girl.
Agreed.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #35
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Doomsday and Jimmy Olsen are best friends now!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #36
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABill View Post
The werewolf in this remake is MUCH better than the one in the British version. Never got the big fuss over his actor in the British version.
Completely disagree on this. The actors I think are both good, but the British transformation is done with prosthetics and is tremendously more effective then the CGI in the American version.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #37
Nightwing 52
Things change

- deadline.com
Quote:
Meanwhile, the debut of Syfy's Being Human averaged 2 million viewers at 9 PM. That was lower than Syfy's established series (for example, Eureka's recent Season 4 premiere logged 2.5 million viewers). But was better than the debut of Caprica (1.6 million) last January. In fact, this was Syfy's most watched scripted series launch since 2005, the network said. Syfy also touted the female appeal of the British series' reboot. Of the 1 million Adults 18-49 that tuned in, 58% (582,000) were women - the highest percentage of female viewers ever for a Syfy original scripted series telecast. Some have questioned Syfy's decision to schedule Being Human against another genre series, The Cape, on sister network NBC.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #38
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

It being the most watched scripted launch since '05 has to count for something, right?

H.E.(Y GURL HEEEEEY)
Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #39
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
It being the most watched scripted launch since '05 has to count for something, right?
Yeah, so this is good news. Also the fact that they pulled in a large female viewership, which isn't always something you expect from a sci-fi show.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #40
Asgard
Kanga Fu

I dig the vampire fangs coming out on the upper lateral incisors rather than the canines. It kind of looks silly but it makes better sense.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #41
Kii
Side-Kick

I felt the acting was, off. Sam Huntington was good, but not nearly as spot on as Russell Tovey in the UK version. I'm not sure what the actor's name is, but the one playing Sally, was fairly "whatever." Sam Witwer disappointed me a bit, I generally like the things he's in, but he just felt off his game in the pilot.

I sort of don't care for the changes in the vampires in this version. In the UK version outside of being immortal and stronger than humans, they're not much different from humans. The vampires are more like drug addicts than supernatural beings on the UK program, whereas on SyFy they're full blown supernatural beings with the typical abilities.

Kii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #42
JustABill
Slightly Used User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Completely disagree on this. The actors I think are both good, but the British transformation is done with prosthetics and is tremendously more effective then the CGI in the American version.
I was talking more along the lines of I enjoy Huntington more than Tovey. Tovey's always seemed VERY overrated in all his projects.

JustABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #43
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I've loved Huntington since Jungle 2 Jungle.

H.E.(Y GURL HEEEEEY)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #44
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Meh.

Better than TrueBlood, at any rate.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #45
Slick
Monster King

Quote:
I've loved Huntington since Jungle 2 Jungle.
Lol Jungle 2 Jungle man I remember that movie and yeah Huntington was in it so was tool time. Tim allen to some folks.lol

It's funny I hated Pellegrino in Dexter but loved him in Lost/Supernatural looks like it's gonna be a little bit of both on this show.

Last edited by Slick; 01-19-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #46
Kii
Side-Kick

Obligated?

Kii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #47
Siby
Side-Kick

For a change I thought the American version of this show is far superior to the British version. I do like the British version of the ghost better. The actress is better, and the character concept is more refined. Like the thing with the tea cups, the touching, and emotional aspect of the character.

The werewolf is not as goofy but it still doesn't look good. I'm also don't like (and this is just nitpicking) the sliding sound effect of the vampire teeth, which is exactly like True Blood.

About the vampires in this world, sun light doesn't hurt them?

Siby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #48
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

The pilot so far is ok, but it's mainly a carbon copy of the original BBC pilot. The one thing I really hope they try to do well on is the werewolf. One of the many reasons I love the BBC original is they finally got the werewolf right. So many movies and TV shows have unsuccessfully done werewolves, usually because of low budgets or lazy CGI. Being Human took the "American Werewolf in London" approach, and don't focus on the horror of the wolf itself, but the transformations. They use make-up, prosthetics, animatronics, and zero CGI for each transformation. It's a ton of work, but it's tremendously effective. Most importantly, they make the transformations seem like pure agony. I've heard a lot of people(not necessarily here) complain about George's high pitched screaming, and I really cannot understand why. When you see him change, it really looks like the most painful, and horrific experience a person could go through.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #49
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

I really liked it. Good cast, though not sure about the ghost girl yet.

Huntington is on Twitter for those interested:

http://twitter.com/SammyHuntington

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #50
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Anybody see last night's episode? I liked it. I'm going to stick with this series. Seems good to me.