The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 10-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #26
Castro
Dittatore

Default Re: Superman's physique in the next film.

guarantee snyder sends the new supes to do the same training butler did for 300, which i think would look amazing on a 6'5 guy. Just hope there won't be any slow motion zoom in shots of supes shirtless body in a very homo erotic way.

Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #27
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

There SO will be.

Man of Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #28
Alientraveller
Side-Kick

Homoerotic? I'm all for fan service (a shirtles Clark defending the farm?) if it means girls will see the movie! :P

But I do agree, Snyder himself is a gym rat who actually participated with his actors' training for 300, so Supes will look pretty buff.

Alientraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #29
storyteller
Side-Kick

Well with Thor though we have the guy straining to life an object in the rain and from certain angles. His muscle definition was going to show through. Now in costume though that definition is just gone. Now as to the returns suit compressing Routh. Yeah the human body is made up of water but we aren't a water balloon. Compressing a few centimeters in certain areas isn't going to make are heads and hands bigger. Muscle isn't water. Skin isn't water. Get some tight pants and you will compress not enough so that your blood forces the rest of yourself to bulge out.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #30
batman_1989_
Side-Kick

Interesting news:
http://www.liquida.it/video/a50abff4...ans-in-videos/

batman_1989_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #31
Eze
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman_1989_ View Post

Eze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #32
Draven
Side-Kick

Quote:

That is an excellent find.

Draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #33
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Thats a cool vid but Id rather the person actually have the right physique but then again maybe I wouldn't even know

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #34
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
I don't think you can say that the suit squeezed him. Water is an incompressible fluid, and humans are largely water. So if you squeeze them in one place, other places will bugle. If the suit squeezed Routh's arms, then did his hands and head bulge?

I do think you can say the cut of the suit and placement of the cape etc. served to down play what bulk he had. When the suit came out there were several manips of it showing it with a larger S-shield, lower cut collar and cape attachment that were closer to the comics. In the resulting image Routh looked bigger.

I don't think the actor needs to be ripped, shredded or exploded with veins popping everywhere, but I do think the actor needs to be thickly and heavily muscled, more than Routh or Reeve were. I don't think the actor should have the massive quads that body builders often have (while not having chicken legs either), the physique should be a little top heavy.
It does squeeze. A lot. It was made of milliskin, which is highly compressed when compared to lycra or some of the other fabrics used to make Under Armour or Nike Dri-Fit compression shirts.

Typically, milliskin is used for dancer's costumes and the like. The trade-off is that the fabric they used for Routh's suit (also used for Fantastic Four and Spider-Man) had problems using the lowered neckline and enlargened shield because of how much the suit shrinks until it's put on the user. The positive for the stuff is that it shades well, apparently.

Notice that the necklines for Routh's suit, the FF and Spider-man suits were all around the same height. Not a coincidence. It's also why the stuntmen and Maguire all wore muscle padding underneath the suits like Routh did, and I'm willing to bet the FF cast did, as well. I personally think they should just go with the fabric consistency used for Nike Dri-Fit. I own one of those shirts and it has the right consistency to it and compliments the positives of a physique well (makes me feel pretty Super, even though I weigh a buck-eighty soaking wet). If they use that and customize it for the actor in question, then it'd look fine and probably cost a fraction of the price of the milliskin suits because they wouldn't have to crap out extra cash for the more expensive fabric and extra muscle padding.

I do believe that with this other fabric and the classic designs of the comic suit, Routh would've looked phenomenally better. It's almost like they paid extra for him to look mediocre, when during the bonus features, he was definitely no physical slouch during his workouts. It was almost like the suit design practically undid all the work Routh and Michael Ryan did in the gym.

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
KaptainKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #35
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

Quote:
Holy Moley.

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
KaptainKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #36
SatEL
Banned User

Have you guys seen how big the guy playing Thor is we shouldnt settle for anything less I want the actor playing Superman to look just as impressive.http://igossip.com/gossip/Celebrity_...f_Fame/1251156

SatEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #37
Project862006
Banned User

only guy as tall as hemsworth who has been suggested is Armie Hammer who is 6'5

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #38
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
only guy as tall as hemsworth who has been suggested is Armie Hammer who is 6'5
Not bothered about height more so about build, this Hemsworth guy probably has the best Superhero build excluding Michael Jai White(Spawn) and Wesley Snipes(Blade). We cant have Thor looking better than Supes, the marvel fanboys will never let us here the end of it.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #39
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatEL View Post
We cant have Thor looking better than Supes, the marvel fanboys will never let us here the end of it.

Both will be covered most of the time anyway.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #40
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
Both will be covered most of the time anyway.
Thor already has a shirtless scene, so we all know his hench as ****. I am hoping Supes will have one not for homoerotic reasons but just to show that his as big and cut as Jackman and Hemsworth.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #41
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

The ideal physique for Superman?

Well, I'd say as muscular as you can possibly get, without crossing the line into looking like a bodybuilder as clark.

Somebody mentioned Clint Walker's type of build. That would be excellent.

Other guys with similar builds are Hugh Jackman, or even Joe Manganeillo.

Even if you do not like Joe M. for the role, he DOES have the right kind of build.

If they cast somebody else having them get as close to that kind of shape possible, and then if needed to go that step further, just cheat a bit as in this video: http://www.liquida.it/video/a50abff4...ans-in-videos/

Again, this is not saying it needs to be Joe, but he has that kind of a build that is big enough to look massive in tight clothing, or shirtless, but yet hides very well in normal clothes.

Heck, Clark can still get away with looking thicker than this in a suit too, just has to avoid the bodybuilder look, and that does give some room.

Here is the illusion I am talking about, with the right size, and low enough bodyfat% you can look both huge, or normal in regular clothing. I mean in normal clothing he really looks thin, as in lot more skinny that Clark even needs to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
Well I know Phil Noto thinks of Walker when he draws Superman (he said that specifically in an interview with Wizard Magazine years ago) and on this very board Jamal Igle has said as much and posted a sketch of that in the costume thread. I think SuperMike posted something about Ross using Walker as inspiration for Superman as well.
Ross has stated that he thinks Walker would have made a perfect Superman durring the 1960's, had there been a TV show then. I'm not 100% sure if he is the exact template, but I would not be suprised at all.

It could just be that Alex has a certain look he paints Superman, and he thinks that Walker resembles that look.

If anything Ross still adds more muscle than Walker really had. Then again, at different points in walker's career he was heavier or lighter, like anyone.

In this picture Walker was down in weight, and looked sort of thin compared to what he ussually looked like, but I can still see a resemblance.

Here is a vid of Walker showing his home gym, looks pretty strong, but not a bodybuilder by any means. I think he was in his mid 40's when this was filmed too.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by SuperMike335!!; 10-11-2010 at 12:38 PM.
SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #42
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
The ideal physique for Superman?

Well, I'd say as muscular as you can possibly get, without crossing the line into looking like a bodybuilder as clark.

Somebody mentioned Clint Walker's type of build. That would be excellent.

Other guys with similar builds are Hugh Jackman, or even Joe Manganeillo.

Even if you do not like Joe M. for the role, he DOES have the right kind of build.

If they cast somebody else having them get as close to that kind of shape possible, and then if needed to go that step further, just cheat a bit as in this video: http://www.liquida.it/video/a50abff4...ans-in-videos/

Again, this is not saying it needs to be Joe, but he has that kind of a build that is big enough to look massive in tight clothing, or shirtless, but yet hides very well in normal clothes.

Heck, Clark can still get away with looking thicker than this in a suit too, just has to avoid the bodybuilder look, and that does give some room.

Here is the illusion I am talking about, with the right size, and low enough bodyfat% you can look both huge, or normal in regular clothing. I mean in normal clothing he really looks thin, as in lot more skinny that Clark even needs to look.

Ross has stated that he thinks Walker would have made a perfect Superman durring the 1960's, had there been a TV show then. I'm not 100% sure if he is the exact template, but I would not be suprised at all.

It could just be that Alex has a certain look he paints Superman, and he thinks that Walker resembles that look.

If anything Ross still adds more muscle than Walker really had. Then again, at different points in walker's career he was heavier or lighter, like anyone.

In this picture Walker was down in weight, and looked sort of thin compared to what he ussually looked like, but I can still see a resemblance.

Here is a vid of Walker showing his home gym, looks pretty strong, but not a bodybuilder by any means. I think he was in his mid 40's when this was filmed too.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I will give the guy one time he certainly was clued up on the right way to exercise even during that time.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 AM   #43
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

IMO Superman being as big as Thor is dumb. People seem to forget he's not Just Superman, he's Clark Kent as well.

P.S IMO Christopher Reeve had the perfect physique as Clark Kent and Superman.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 AM   #44
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
IMO Superman being as big as Thor is dumb. People seem to forget he's not Just Superman, he's Clark Kent as well.

P.S IMO Christopher Reeve had the perfect physique as Clark Kent and Superman.
No not really like the poster showed a big guy can look small in a suit, just look at that guy from True Blood.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:57 AM   #45
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Dont know where to put this, but maybe they could address what happens to Superman's "physique" during solar storms and the likes.

Could they potentially kill him or create a SUPER Superman?

Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #46
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Dont know where to put this, but maybe they could address what happens to Superman's "physique" during solar storms and the likes.

Could they potentially kill him or create a SUPER Superman?

Like causing him to HULK out or something?

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #47
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

that could probably be a great way to actually fight Darksied one on one, without watering down Darksied, or having to make a J.L. just to have Darksied in it to be defeated

Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #48
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Well with Thor though we have the guy straining to life an object in the rain and from certain angles. His muscle definition was going to show through. Now in costume though that definition is just gone. Now as to the returns suit compressing Routh. Yeah the human body is made up of water but we aren't a water balloon. Compressing a few centimeters in certain areas isn't going to make are heads and hands bigger. Muscle isn't water. Skin isn't water. Get some tight pants and you will compress not enough so that your blood forces the rest of yourself to bulge out.
Actually, both skin and muscle are mostly water. Bones are the only thing in the body that isn't made of a majority of water. Tight pants will help make your feet and ankles swell. Girdles used to be used to make fat people look skinny and it works to some extent, but the overall "girth" of the person was unaffected though the distribution was.

The point is that the costume couldn't really compress Routh all that much. Routh looked too skinny for the part because he was too skinny for the part.

JBElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #49
Ultraman Nexus
Side-Kick

I think the problem with Routh is the poor guy did all this bulking up only to be encased in a rubber suit that made all his work practically invisible.

Last edited by Ultraman Nexus; 10-21-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Ultraman Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #50
The_Beav
Side-Kick

Michael O'Hearn was a good pick for the physical look, although I think he looked a little boyish. His acting needs honing. He even played Superman in Sandy Collera's World's Finest. Assuming he is still in shape, they should look at him.

The_Beav is offline   Reply With Quote