The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 10-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #76
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who Is Composing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
One of Giacchino's earliest works was making music for a WW2 computer game, Medal of Honor.

So Captain America is so fitting for him.
Hate to say it. As much as I enjoy Giacchino's scores. He's booked next year. He's scoring Super 8, Cars 2, John Carter From Mars, MI:4.
Plus I think he'd of been better for next year's Green Lantern.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #77
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Hate to say it. As much as I enjoy Giacchino's scores. He's booked next year. He's scoring Super 8, Cars 2, John Carter From Mars, MI:4.
HE CAN DO IT!!!
Quote:
Plus I think he'd of been better for next year's Green Lantern.
I agree.

Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #78
Project862006
Banned User

i believe james newton howard is scoring GL tho

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #79
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Does anyone know at what point in production do they hire the composer? I've never paid much attention to this part of moviemaking, but it seems like a lot of movies already have someone lined up to compose the score. It seems unusual to not have a composer already lined up for CA. Or is that just me?

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #80
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

ETA: Stupid double posting.

Last edited by Suzanne78; 10-31-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #81
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

ETA: Stupid triple posting.

Last edited by Suzanne78; 10-31-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #82
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i believe james newton howard is scoring GL tho
I'm still waiting for an official confirmation on that.
Second, Giachinno is booked next year if he can't fit Cap. how is he going to fit GL. That's why I said "I think he'd of been better for next year's Green Lantern".

Old 10-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #83
flickchick85
Loose Seal

If JNH is scoring GL, then that's pretty much the first bit of news that's made me look forward to that movie, sadly.

As for when they announce the composer, I've been finding lately that they don't tend to officially announce the composer until the score is already being recorded. IDK why that is, but I usually don't find out about a composer scoring a movie until I read them talking about what they're doing (or did) with it. Studios often seem to twiddle their thumbs with that announcement for some reason, like they don't think people particularly care (which of course is false). I'm guessing we'll find out about 3 or 4 months before the film's release. Unless it's like John Williams or something, which they'd be itching to announce.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #84
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
If JNH is scoring GL, then that's pretty much the first bit of news that's made me look forward to that movie, sadly.

As for when they announce the composer, I've been finding lately that they don't tend to officially announce the composer until the score is already being recorded. IDK why that is, but I usually don't find out about a composer scoring a movie until I read them talking about what they're doing (or did) with it. Studios often seem to twiddle their thumbs with that announcement for some reason, like they don't think people particularly care (which of course is false). I'm guessing we'll find out about 3 or 4 months before the film's release. Unless it's like John Williams or something, which they'd be itching to announce.
Thanks. At least it's not necessarily unusual for there to be no news on the composer front. It is strange though that studios wouldn't release that info; a lot of my friends are music people who love discussing music and picking up soundtracks for movies. Although we only ever discuss the music/composer after the movie has been released, not before.

Someone in another forum mentioned David Newman (Serenity, Anastasia, Ice Age). Can't remember if he was mentioned here for CA's score. Since he's worked with Whedon, he may be good for Avengers...

ETA: or, y'know what... scratch David Newman. Opinions of his Serenity seem pretty polarizing.

Last edited by Suzanne78; 11-01-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #85
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Anyone know what Horner's schedule is like?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #86
Mach2Infinity
Side-Kick

Ramin Djawadi or Craig Armstrong.

Mach2Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #87
Gunga Diner
Solvin' cool mysteries

Tyler Bates, Paul Haslinger, anybody of the like... not interested. David Newman is likely scoring the Avengers because I imagine he's pretty cheap and Whedon had a great experience with him on Serenity. It'd be cool if they could have him score Cap as well, because I think it would be smart of them to try to start carving out a musical identity for the universe.

Nicholas Hooper picked up the Williams torch very nicely in the 5th and 6th Harry Potter movies, maybe he'd be good. Alexandre Desplat is also getting pretty popular.

Thomas Newman and Carter Burwell would also be extremely unusual albeit smart choices.

Gunga Diner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #88
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach2Infinity View Post
Ramin Djawadi or Craig Armstrong.
No MV/RC especially Djawadi. The guy didn't help or hurt the IM movie. Which basically means he did NOTHING for it . At least IMO.
All that noise that he wrote for that movie was just the same generic Zimmer synth noise in these types of blockbuster movies . Which is hurting the film music industry. Favreau was out of his mind thinking that Djawadi was capable of writing a score that we all immediately would think Iron Man. Those IM scores are Marvel's TDK scores IMO. That's not a compliment either. Two IM movies with dull generic scores. It 's a shame.

Armstrong's TIH score was a disappointment. While he did get to put some of his style in the score it was a typical MV/RC score. Even had some Bourne moments in the score which kinda makes sense when you see the movie. I expected Armstrong to bring something new to the genre but sadly went the generic MV/Rc approach. Plus his score had nothing on Elfman's, IMO.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #89
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Djawdi's score was really good for Iron Man, IMO. I'd definitely say he helped it. Still, other than that I am unfamiliar with his work so I wouldn't be recommending him for something like Cap. Armstrong's score for TIH was ok. Pretty standard forgettable fair that's in 99% of all CBM's today. It worked for what it was. Nothing more or less.

Elfman hasn't made a memorable score since 89' Batman. His Spidey scores suck, IMO.

Last edited by kedrell; 11-01-2010 at 05:12 PM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #90
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Djawdi's score was really good for Iron Man, IMO. I'd definitely say he helped it. Still, other than that I am unfamiliar with his work so I wouldn't be recommending him for something like Cap. Armstrong's score for TIH was ok. Pretty standard forgettable fair that's in 99% of all CBM's today. It worked for what it was. Nothing more or less.

Elfman hasn't made a memorable score since 89' Batman. His Spidey scores suck, IMO.
Where you been under a rock ? Or you don't look at a lot of movies Elfman scored ? Or you have so much wax stuffed in your ear that you can't hear a darn thing ? Or you're just plain deaf ? That explains why you think Djawadi did a good job on the IM score. You're very IGNORANT and obviously a hater to say he hasn't done anything memorable since Batman 89. Which is BULL. I'm not going to turn this thread into an Elfman thread. So I'll get back on topic.

You're kidding yourself if you think Djawadi slammed on his keyboards a good score for Iron Man. He wrote a pathetic excuse of a theme for IM. IM deserved a better theme and score. Instead MV/RC garbage is what we ended up with. He didn't do anything for the film. No excitement , thrills, emotion that maybe could've improved the film. He didn't do anything special with the predictable synthesisers and electric guitar approach for IM.
And what was he thinking with that cheesy love theme or whatever that mess was playing during some of the RDJ and Paltrow scenes ? It made those scenes cheesy instead of romantic or anything their relationship was suppose to be about. BTW, Djawadi is the worst of the MV/RC crew, IMO.
If Djawadi ends up scoring Cap. I'm going to expect nothing but the worst from this movie.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #91
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Where you been under a rock ? Or you don't look at a lot of movies Elfman scored ? Or you have so much wax stuffed in your ear that you can't hear a darn thing ? Or you're just plain deaf ? That explains why you think Djawadi did a good job on the IM score. You're very IGNORANT and obviously a hater to say he hasn't done anything memorable since Batman 89. Which is BULL. I'm not going to turn this thread into an Elfman thread. So I'll get back on topic.

You're kidding yourself if you think Djawadi slammed on his keyboards a good score for Iron Man. He wrote a pathetic excuse of a theme for IM. IM deserved a better theme and score. Instead MV/RC garbage is what we ended up with. He didn't do anything for the film. No excitement , thrills, emotion that maybe could've improved the film. He didn't do anything special with the predictable synthesisers and electric guitar approach for IM.
And what was he thinking with that cheesy love theme or whatever that mess was playing during some of the RDJ and Paltrow scenes ? It made those scenes cheesy instead of romantic or anything their relationship was suppose to be about. BTW, Djawadi is the worst of the MV/RC crew, IMO.
If Djawadi ends up scoring Cap. I'm going to expect nothing but the worst from this movie.
That's a heckuva lot of condescension packed into one post. And I actually agree with you on the Elfman point. I love his Good Will Hunting.

Also, it's just my opinion, but I really liked the score for IM. I just watched it again last night and it hit me how much I thought the music augmented certain favorite moments of mine in the movie.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #92
lixdexia
Blood Angels

i thought the im score was adequate, but not spectacular.

dictated, not read.
lixdexia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #93
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
That's a heckuva lot of condescension packed into one post. And I actually agree with you on the Elfman point. I love his Good Will Hunting.

Also, it's just my opinion, but I really liked the score for IM. I just watched it again last night and it hit me how much I thought the music augmented certain favorite moments of mine in the movie.
Yeah sorry about that . I almost "hulked out" there for a moment. For real. I do apologize to those who appreciate Djawadi's IM score. But I'm not that big a fan of his. I was really disappointed when he signed on for IM because I knew his approach was going to be generic, dull, and predictable imho.

BTW to that Elfman basher Kedrell, funny how you say Elfman's Spidey scores sucked when Djwadi copied the theme for IM. But you seem to have no problem with that. Alot of film score fans have stated and proved it.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #94
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Yeah sorry about that . I almost "hulked out" there for a moment. For real. I do apologize to those who appreciate Djawadi's IM score. But I'm not that big a fan of his. Iwas really disappointed when he signed on for IM because I knew his approach was going to be generic, dull, and predictable imho.

BTW to that Elfman basher Kedrell, funny how you say Elfman's Spidey scores sucked when Djwadi copied the theme for IM. But you seem to have no problem with that. Alot of film score fans have stated and proved it.
LOL that's cool I do remember when IM came out and a lot of people were *****ing about the score, because in a movie where pretty much everything was great/near perfect, the score didn't sit well with a lot of folks... except for me. I thought it was a good fit with the movie, but that's just my opinion

That said, I really don't think he'd be good at all for CA. I synced a buttload of Glenn Miller/Louis Armstrong/big band music onto my iPod recently. Listening to that, CA really needs to evoke that style of music.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #95
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

First of all, there are definitely some memorable parts of the IM score. Sure, most of the general population will remember the IM films by their AC/DC stuff but I know a couple of scores that instantly ring Iron Man.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...fTQ&feature=iv

Building up until the middle I'd say is good.

The lack of a significant reoccurring sound is sad but what we got, was good imo.

And the Spider-Man scores were amazing! The suites and the music from all 3 opening credits are unforgettable! They DID NOT SUCK!

Spideyfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #96
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
First of all, there are definitely some memorable parts of the IM score. Sure, most of the general population will remember the IM films by their AC/DC stuff but I know a couple of scores that instantly ring Iron Man.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...fTQ&feature=iv

Building up until the middle I'd say is good.

The lack of a significant reoccurring sound is sad but what we got, was good imo.

And the Spider-Man scores were amazing! The suites and the music from all 3 opening credits are unforgettable! They DID NOT SUCK!
I'm sorry but it's bad enough I gotta hear that stuff in the movie. I definitely don't want to hear it seperate from the movie.
But that's good you found something to like about the score from IM. I just believe we could've gotten something way better with a more gifted composer than Djawadi.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #97
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Oh yeah, definitely agree that we could've gotten a much stronger composer with a much more more memorable score.

To me, Iron Man had some sort of memorability with it's themes. And I hate saying this because it annoys me a lot, but Iron Man 2's score(loved the movie itself) was absolute ****! It was extremely weak and I don't remember anything from that score.

What made up for the *****y score was the Stark Expo music and "Make Way for Tomorrow Today". Make Way was very memorable in my opinion...and it will be in Captain America for those who didn't know already.

Captain America deserves an amazing score, it really does...and if the potential is wasted, I will be one of the 1st to specify on these boards in July. Guarantee that.

Spideyfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #98
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man

I don't think you really have a right to be so dismissive, since you more or less had the same attitude in your post, and implied kinda underhandedly that TDK sucked, which is again highly debatable. You had one extreme opinion, he responded with his. No need for such antagonistic wording, because if I've learnt anything from any film score threads on the Hype! it's that everyone likes something different from everyone else.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #99
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
I don't think you really have a right to be so dismissive, since you more or less had the same attitude in your post, and implied kinda underhandedly that TDK sucked, which is again highly debatable. You had one extreme opinion, he responded with his. No need for such antagonistic wording, because if I've learnt anything from any film score threads on the Hype! it's that everyone likes something different from everyone else.
Where did I say TDK sucked ? I never stated that TDK sucked. If you meant the score ? I posted above "I'm not going to bother mentioning the Batman scores," when I was talking about Zimmer. You need to be more specific if you're talking about the score , b/c I definitely don't THINK TDK movie sucked. If you've read above I've already apologized to those who were offended by my comment (those who love the IM score from Djawadi). So you're a little late to post this .

I still believe that guy was ignorant with that response. He couldn't back it up. He got mad when I was replying to someone else about Armstrong's TIH score when I believed Elfman's Hulk score to have been better. When someone responds to me by saying, "Elfman hasn't made a memorable score since 89' Batman. His Spidey scores suck, IMO." that's ignorant to me and proves my point that the guy's a hater in my eyes. So you can be his lawyer alll you want I still believe that guy is an ignorant Elfman hater.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #100
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

They need to bring back Yuki Iwai. He gave Captain America one of the most epic theme songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUv1ELA7XTI

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote