The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 09-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #76
JAK®
Upstart

Default Re: Natalie Portman in the running for Lois lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Wahhhh, Chris Evans was in The Losers, two Fantastic Four films, Scott Pilgram, and is playing mother****ing Captain America.

Ryan Reynolds is playing Green Lantern and will probably play Deadpool. Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones and Han Solo and Jack Ryan.

I don't see the big deal here. I really don't want to go through all this **** again. But I know we will.
I was annoyed when Chris Evans and Ryan Reynolds were cast, but I got over it because I believed they suited the roles they got. (Although I was interested in what Jon Krasinski could do for Cap and Bradley Cooper was my choice for Lantern) Harrison Ford isn't even analogous to this situation at all.

Not only is Portman annoying because she will be the love interest for both Thor and Supes (as well as V for Vendetta) but I genuinely don't think she fits the role.

By the way, next time you state your opinion on something that bothers you I'll just say "waaaahhh", as that sounds like the adult thing to do.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #77
WormyT
Side-Kick

Natalie Portman for Lois Lane?
No....Please....Please God No.....I've never asked for anything God...

Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #78
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
this rumor is only out there because Arononsky is on the list.

isnt she a main character in Thor? so now she would jump on superman?

come on
Well, when you consider how big of a bomb Thor is going to be...

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #79
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I'm not going to get overly up in arms about this because it is just a rumor but I'll just say that I don't want her for the role. IMHO she just isn't right for it.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #80
Micah12345
Side-Kick

I'm stoked just to get ANY news superman related. I could dig portman. Not my first choice, but she'd do well.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #81
Paul-el
Side-Kick

So who would be a good Superman of comparable age?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #82
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post

As for Lane Erica Durance is probably my favourite live action Lane yet (Dany Delany is my favourite Lane ever) so she's gonna take some topping for me.
Erica Durance is my all time favorite Lois Lane as well followed by Dana Delany and Teri Hatcher .

IMO Natalie Portman could very well do the role better than Kate Bosworth if the writers remain true to character of Lois Lane in this reboot.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #83
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-el View Post
Henry Cavill

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #84
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Wow. We have a rumor that Natalie Portman - one of the best actresses of her generation, if not the best, who is all but certain to win an Oscar come March for what is being called not just the best performance by a female this year, but the performance of the year by an actor of either gender, for Black Swan - could be in the running for Lois Lane. I thought the response would surely be everyone creaming in their pants with joy. But in true comic fanboy fashion, most people seem to be up in arms about it for stupid reasons like she's not the right height, or it will hurt our brains if she plays a love interest in two different superhero franchises.

Yes, this is currently in "take it with a pinch of salt" territory. But if Natalie Portman wants to be in this movie, then let her be in the movie. The only problem I see is that, if anything, she's overqualified for the role, and the writers will really have to work to make the part of Lois good enough to justify an actress of Natalie Portman's caliber playing her.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #85
ilovelamp18
A man will fly 6-14-13

If I remember correctly, Nolan's strategy in making this film is the same strategy Dick Donner used to make his Superman. Get an unknown for the lead role, but surround that person with Oscar quality actors who have a recognizable name.

The only question I have is, does that include Lois Lane. In Donner's film, Kidder was a relative unknown Canadian actress. But if the rumors have any weight to them, Portman definitely has a body of work with which the audience can match her.

So maybe this idea of surrounding the unknown with talented names includes the role of Lois Lane.

Can anyone else remember the interview to which I'm referring?

ilovelamp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #86
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Wow. We have a rumor that Natalie Portman - one of the best actresses of her generation, if not the best, who is all but certain to win an Oscar come March for what is being called not just the best performance by a female this year, but the performance of the year by an actor of either gender, for Black Swan - could be in the running for Lois Lane. I thought the response would surely be everyone creaming in their pants with joy. But in true comic fanboy fashion, most people seem to be up in arms about it for stupid reasons like she's not the right height, or it will hurt our brains if she plays a love interest in two different superhero franchises.

Yes, this is currently in "take it with a pinch of salt" territory. But if Natalie Portman wants to be in this movie, then let her be in the movie. The only problem I see is that, if anything, she's overqualified for the role, and the writers will really have to work to make the part of Lois good enough to justify an actress of Natalie Portman's caliber playing her.
Yeah, I know you're talking about me here, I'm not as stupid as you think I am.

I don't think Portman is right for the role. Sorry if that makes you mad.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #87
Colonel Kurtz
Banned User

It would make more sense if Rachel Weisz was Lois Lane, her and Aronofsky are engaged after all.

Colonel Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #88
JAK®
Upstart

Rachel Weisz would be a great Lois Lane.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #89
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Anyone late 20s to mid 30s.

Man of Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #90
Changeling
Banned User

Quote:
Jake Gyllenhaal

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #91
Ursa
Villainess

I'd love to see her as Lois Lane with Henry Cavill as Superman, but I don't believe she would accept because of her commitment on Thor.

She's a wonderful actress, btw.

Ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #92
romeogbs19
Side-Kick

Quote:

Well said, man. 100% agree; Portman is a AAA actress and it would be awesome to see her play Lois Lane on-screen. Odds are with a Goyer/Nolan script, Lois is going to get a lot of important lines (unlike the scant dialogue we got from Singer's squad), so having a good actress to play this role is critical, and Portman is more than up to the task (I agree; she's probably overqualified).

As for her being in Thor, I would think that if she is cast as Lois Lane, Marvel would look to re-cast that part. I'm not a fan of Thor and have no interest in that film, so don't know all the logistics. But presuming filming hasn't started, there's no reason why Marvel wouldn't recast.

And even if they didn't, it wouldn't really matter to me. Ultimately, it's the storyline Nolan/Goyer present that matters. Yes, the actors need to be convincing -- but when you can get Portman, I'll take her over the possibility of winding up with another Bosworth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
If a contract was signed to appear in 3 movies....then it can be hard to step out of one. And again...not saying this happened, said i sometimes wondered if that happened.
True; if Reynolds signed the contract, it's technically binding; that said, from a legal standpoint, you don't see movie studios suing actors over these sorts of contracts too often. Movie makers aren't -- contrary to popular opinion -- idiots. They don't want someone uninterested in the role to be playing it. If GL turns out to be a success and Ryan wants to hop on those projects, you won't see Marvel raise any fuss granting him an out. Last thing Marvel wants to do is piss off a star, which its other studios (or partner movie companies) may need in other movies. Pissing Ryan off by holding him to a contract he doesn't care for would only hurt the Deadpool movie's quality and likely ensure he never does a movie again for Fox, Sony, etc.

romeogbs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #93
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

no Natalie Portman as Lois Lane please. Brandon Routh as Kal-El / Clark Kent / Superman, Michelle Monaghan as Lois Lane and Tom Hardy as Lex Luthor would be AWESOME!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #94
MAN O STEEL
HC is my superman

Natalie Portman would fail as Lois lane in the same way Bosworth did & it's got nothing to do with acting. She is simply to short & petite & skinny & soft looking to ever be Lois. Lois needs to be 5'11 on heels, with a strong frame, a healthy physique, a hardened attitude & the kinda girl who look physically like a girl who was raised by a general & could take care of bussiness when backed into a corner. Portman looks like a sweet Lana esque, girl next door type.

Steve

Old 09-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #95
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Quote:

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #96
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
I'd love to see her as Lois Lane with Henry Cavill as Superman, but I don't believe she would accept because of her commitment on Thor.

She's a wonderful actress, btw.
I don't think thor is that big of a deal, its one movie and if it doesn't perform we may not see another one. Marvels notorious for under paying there actors so if WB really wanted her I'm sure they would be able to pony up the right amount. This is all rumour at this point though, they need a director first before we can really start wondering what actors will ne chosen.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #97
Chewy
REDACTED

I don't think she would take the role, we're only being told her name is on a wishlist. Of course it would be - she's the right age and is very likely to win an academy award in a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeogbs19 View Post
As for her being in Thor, I would think that if she is cast as Lois Lane, Marvel would look to re-cast that part. I'm not a fan of Thor and have no interest in that film, so don't know all the logistics. But presuming filming hasn't started, there's no reason why Marvel wouldn't recast.
Filming on Thor wrapped several months ago.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #98
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN O STEEL View Post
Natalie Portman would fail as Lois lane in the same way Bosworth did & it's got nothing to do with acting. She is simply to short & petite & skinny & soft looking to ever be Lois. Lois needs to be 5'11 on heels, with a strong frame, a healthy physique, a hardened attitude & the kinda girl who look physically like a girl who was raised by a general & could take care of bussiness when backed into a corner. Portman looks like a sweet Lana esque, girl next door type.

Steve
Lois got along fine for around 50 years without being an army brat. It's not an absolute requirement, even if this is a post-crisis based movie.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #99
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN O STEEL View Post

Steve
But do you seriously think any general audience member would be watching the film and thinking, "No, Natalie Portman just isn't right for Lois Lane, I mean.... she's not even 5'11"!"

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #100
batman44
Go Speed GO

So now we have height requirements for Lois Lane. lol

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote