The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #26
Hotwire
Pro-Customizer

Default Re: Michael Bay has killed Transformers for me

It's funny. Since that new channel The Hub kicked off, I've been watching the first episodes of Transformers. I have to say, it's pretty bad. I still love it, but it's bad. Everything is rushed, they have no real character development, and quite a lot of Decepticlones. They have characters showing up in more than one place at a time, characters not colored in right, showing the same shots twice with different voice overs. Basically, a bunch of things that the people on this board would be, or have been, ripping Bay a new ass over.

Why was it OK for the cartoon to do this, but not the movie?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #27
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
It's funny. Since that new channel The Hub kicked off, I've been watching the first episodes of Transformers. I have to say, it's pretty bad. I still love it, but it's bad. Everything is rushed, they have no real character development, and quite a lot of Decepticlones. They have characters showing up in more than one place at a time, characters not colored in right, showing the same shots twice with different voice overs. Basically, a bunch of things that the people on this board would be, or have been, ripping Bay a new ass over.
Which is why the live-action movies should have been an improvement over the cartoon, instead of what they are at present.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com
Old 10-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #28
knowsbleed
electrically relaxed

Quote:

The cartoon was made in 1984... for kids...

The movies were made in the 2007+... and for everybody... yet the movies are no better than the cartoons. Don't you think that they might have wanted to improve on the source material other than just special effects? Maybe not... but that's mediocrity for you. If you're willing to accept that... then congrats, you will blend into society just fine.

knowsbleed is a vagatarian
Old 10-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #29
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:

Your forgetting one important thing; the cartoon is the source material. It's not like Transformers was this comic book that was then adapted into a cartoon, then into a movie. The G1 cartoon is essentially the source material. Bay has openly said that he hates it, so he axed all that he hated about it, and what we were left with is what we got. What he didn't realise is that he did away with all the elements that has made Hasbro's toyline last this long, so what were essential left with is a bunch of giant robots, who can transform and are from cybertron...and that's it. Like i said before Transformers in name only.

Yes, the cartoon is dated, but it was made for kids, some 20+ years ago. The film makers could have easily updated the source material instead of scrapping 90% of it.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #30
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I watched 'Transformers: The Movie' again yesterday and it still rocks. I love it.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #31
knowsbleed
electrically relaxed

Yes... it most certainly does still rock.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #32
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I'm a die hard TF fan since 1984 when I was 8 and have collected the toys, comics, VHS, DVD's and just hate it when other so called fans just blame characters in one move only because of the potty humor and Bay's fascination with mindless action.

If fans have anything to complain it was the TF Armada/Cybertron/Energon cartoons which were complete garbage and now we have whiney people complaining that the movies featured too much time on the humans.

Whether I hate to admit it if an entire 2 hours were focused solely on Transformers then we'd have a boring movie, the humans are always needed in the TF universe so the audience can have someone to relate to.

Michael Bay has many haters but if it weren't for him the Transformers brand wouldn't be as big as it is now. SO DEAL WITH IT!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #33
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
I'm a die hard TF fan since 1984 when I was 8 and have collected the toys, comics, VHS, DVD's and just hate it when other so called fans just blame characters in one move only because of the potty humor and Bay's fascination with mindless action.

If fans have anything to complain it was the TF Armada/Cybertron/Energon cartoons which were complete garbage and now we have whiney people complaining that the movies featured too much time on the humans.

Whether I hate to admit it if an entire 2 hours were focused solely on Transformers then we'd have a boring movie, the humans are always needed in the TF universe so the audience can have someone to relate to.

Michael Bay has many haters but if it weren't for him the Transformers brand wouldn't be as big as it is now. SO DEAL WITH IT!!!
Do we really? Something innovative would be to show things from the Transformers point of view, where we're the alien specie. It would be something different and with Speilburhg at the helm, ground breaking. But that time has past; it's fallen into the same old 'we need someone to relate to' formula, that every show/film featuring aliens has done to death. I remember hearing the same thing about Spike on the G1 tv show. I personally didn't relate to any of the humans on the show, in any shape, form or fashion.....

Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #34
knowsbleed
electrically relaxed

Nobody said that the entire 2 hours had to be focused solely on the humans... nobody.

What I want... is balance. What I want... is good character development.

If you say we got that... then let me be the first to call you a liar.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #35
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
I'd gladly take a smaller fanbase if it meant better TF movies, so deal with that!

Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 10-14-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #36
Hotwire
Pro-Customizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsbleed View Post
The cartoon was made in 1984... for kids...

The movies were made in the 2007+... and for everybody... yet the movies are no better than the cartoons. Don't you think that they might have wanted to improve on the source material other than just special effects? Maybe not... but that's mediocrity for you. If you're willing to accept that... then congrats, you will blend into society just fine.
The cartoon was made in 1984, as a toy commercial, for kids. The movies were made in 2007+, as a toy commercial, for the people who were kids when the cartoon came out, and the kids they have now. My original point was that the same stuff that was OK for them to do in the cartoon, is somehow, not OK for Bay to do.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #37
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes... it most certainly does still rock.
So does the soundtrack. 80's rock kicks arse.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #38
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

Transformers has such an incredible concept. All they had to do was a serious action sci fi about alien-robot persecution turned war in human turf. An invasion movie with a twist.

Unfortunately what we got was just the American Pie of science fiction.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #39
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
The cartoon was made in 1984, as a toy commercial, for kids. The movies were made in 2007+, as a toy commercial, for the people who were kids when the cartoon came out, and the kids they have now. My original point was that the same stuff that was OK for them to do in the cartoon, is somehow, not OK for Bay to do.
What if George Lucas made Star Wars to sell toys?

Would that alone discredit the characters and story?

Just because the hasbro executives were motivated by toy sales doesn't mean the writers and artists had the same limitations.

All that matters is that these "toy commercials" resonated with a generation and created a legion of life-long fans.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #40
knowsbleed
electrically relaxed

Quote:
Instead of repeating myself...

Quote:
It would be nice if the material had evolved instead of devolved. The original cartoons were silly, yes, but why make a live action movie seem even moreso silly? To poke fun at something whose appeal you don't truly understand? Well, I guess he knew what the general public wanted... big ****ing robots pounding each other while humans had all the "character development" while making elementary school remarks toward each other.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, this franchise didn't stand a chance with Bay.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #41
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
I remember hearing the same thing about Spike on the G1 tv show. I personally didn't relate to any of the humans on the show, in any shape, form or fashion.....
Live action and animation are two different things, TF cartoons solely focused on the Transformers in half hour increments is fine I remember though as a kid not liking the 3rd season as much because there were less earth based adventures.

But for live action there should be some human involvement at least for some exposition otherwise it turns into a video game.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #42
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Personally I have enjoyed the franchise so far, yeah its different than the cartoons, but I very much doubt anyone would have adapted the cartoons exactly. I do wish the movies were a bit more serious and more focus was put on the TF's themselves, but that would be expensive.

I'm looking forward to the 3rd movie because I think it will be a step up from the 2nd movie, but I am also looking forward to the inevitable re-boot we get down the line and hope its more faithful.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
Old 10-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #43
Chris B
Side-Kick

It'd be a dream come true for me if after Bay steps aside, Neill Bloomkamp was the one who took over the reigns. 'District 9' was picture proof that he'd make an awesome TF film. Plus, he the one who did that transforming Citroen car ad a couple of years back, se he may already be a TF fan himself or at least watched the show as a kid.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #44
Avengers-Report
Side-Kick

Michael Bay is horrible and is receiving so much credit for the ticket sales success of Transformers. It seriously makes me sick.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #45
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
It'd be a dream come true for me if after Bay steps aside, Neill Bloomkamp was the one who took over the reigns. 'District 9' was picture proof that he'd make an awesome TF film. Plus, he the one who did that transforming Citroen car ad a couple of years back, se he may already be a TF fan himself or at least watched the show as a kid.
If Blomkamp directed a TF movie i'd probably die of happiness, D9 is honestly one of the best films I have seen in years and to see that type of heart and emotion mixed the unbelievable action in that movie in a TF movie would just be a dream.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
Old 10-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #46
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

Definitely Blomkamp would be on top of my list. After seeing the fight sequences in Avatar I think James Cameron could do a good job too.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #47
Hound89
Side-Kick

Eww nerd rage

jeez u guy need to grow a sense of humor

Also bay didn't do any thing wrong with the source material other then give them a more defined purpose for being on earth

Last edited by Hound89; 10-18-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #48
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound89 View Post
Eww nerd rage

jeez u guy need to grow a sense of humor

Also bay didn't do any thing wrong with the source material other then give them a more defined purpose for being on earth
What "purpose" would that be?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #49
Hound89
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
What "purpose" would that be?
1. the all Spark

2. the Sun Harvester/Matrix

now with out giving me a wall of text

what did he do wrong with he source material?

Last edited by Hound89; 10-18-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #50
knowsbleed
electrically relaxed

So you hate walls of text... here goes a simple explanation.

Bay...
Made...
Everything...
Dumb.

Closed Thread