The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite villain of the Spider-Man trilogy?
The Green Goblin 44 31.21%
Doctor Octopus 97 68.79%
New Goblin 13 9.22%
Sandman 12 8.51%
Venom 14 9.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #51
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

Default Re: Favorite villain of the trilogy?

Dock Ock followed by James Franco's Harry Osborn.

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #52
Thebumwhowalks
Banned User

I have to say that Dafoe's performance out of costume was the most interesting, and amusing, but he was hampered by a crappy, restrictive costume, and they did not use the Goblin to his full potential in airial battles with SM. Let's put it this way, if he had a better costume, and had battles with SM that were as good as the one Harry had with Pete in SM!, he would get my vote.
So I would have to say Doc Ock all round, a good performance and unbeatable in terms of onscreen battles, although the battle with Harry comes close in terms of quality to the train fight.
Harry was very well developed too, due to being in 3 movies, he is probably the most developed villan we have seen in any sh movie, Magneto is basically the same throughout the 3 X-Men films, we don't see him going through any changes, we only have them being referred to.

edit: Sandman had two fantastic fights with Spidey, and his powers were very well utilised for cinema, but the character development was not great, and his part in the retcon with UB's death was v clumsy. I didn't mind the giant SM at the end, it reminded me of the classic MTU when Spidey and Thor were battling the living monolith.

Venom, I liked the character development here, and preferred him to the comics version, it was more sinister seeing a powerless delusional guy get all that power, someone who never had power over his fellow man before. I do like the end battle with him, although the CGI in the falling fight with Pete does look rushed, and of course there was not much screentime there.

So i would rank them...

1. Ock
2. Harry
3. GG
4. Venom
5. Sandman

Last edited by Thebumwhowalks; 01-12-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Thebumwhowalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #53
ModestMr.Green
Side-Kick

Used to be Ock, but rewatching the first Spider-Man, I'd have to say the Goblin. Dafoe really sells it. Harry would come out on top, but I don't think it's really fair to compare him to the others. They didn't have three films worth of development.

ModestMr.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #54
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
I remember that! But hey, aren't gift and privilege the same things anyway? At least in one sense?
Yeah, I know what you mean. He was describing them in a specific way though, being very insisting like it mattered a lot to him, so it's weird that he would flip-flop them later on like that.

I would buy a third copy of the DVD if they did nothing but fix that line.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #55
p4poetic
Side-Kick

Green Goblin. Willem Dafoe is terrifying.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #56
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

I'd rank them like this:
Ock & NG
GG, Venom & Sandman

Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #57
webhead731
I'm a photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4poetic View Post
Green Goblin. Willem Dafoe is terrifying.
Willem is or his portrayal of Norman is?

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #58
p4poetic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead731 View Post
Willem is or his portrayal of Norman is?
Haha, both! Even when he's playing good in Platoon, I watch it and I still think there's evil lurking behind. I think its the smile.

Last edited by p4poetic; 01-25-2011 at 02:18 AM.
p4poetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #59
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4poetic View Post
Haha, both! Even when he's playing good in Platoon, I watch it and I still think there's evil lurking behind. I think its the smile.
My brother and I watched Speed 2: Cruise Control sometime after watching Spider-Man, he watched the role of Dafoe and told me a few time how this actor is right for the role of a Goblin

Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #60
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Dafoe has a creepy, Christopher Walken-esque vibe about him.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #61
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Good question.

I would say Harry/New Goblin has the most intense relationship with Peter, there is a lot of strong emotion there and it's an intriguing realtionship.

The Sandman, I feel, best encaptulates what Raimi was going for with his supervillains - normal people with flaws, turned into mosters. Thomas Hayden-Church gives a very understated, sombre performance compared to Willem Defoe and ALfred Molina which makes it more effective and effecting.

Venom doesn't quite reach his potential, but you have to look at it in context. Venom is just part of the whole story about Peter aquiring the symbiote, and meeting someone who is not strong enough to resist it like he eventually is. A would say a bigger waste of potential is the Green Goblin, who is fantastic in every way except that his face is hidden behind the most ridiculous mask. This means Defoe has to go even more over the top with his line readings to get some emotion into the character. Real shame.

Doctor Octopus was very well adapted to a post-Matrix audience, clealy lessons were learned from the Goblin's infamous Power Rangers outfit. Unfortunetly he has a lot of cheesy lines (poetry, the rubber band joke, love is more complicated that advance science) intended to humanise him and make the audience like him before he turns evil. Actually he has a lot of cheesy lines afterwards as well ("Nothing will stand in our way! Nothing!")....despite all that, he is a great villain and a great opponent for Spider-Man.

For me, and I'm sure for many of you, having read about these characters for 20-30 years, the test is whether you look at these people onscreen and say, "Yep, that is the character come to life." With Doc Ock, you certainly do that.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.

Last edited by Kevin Roegele; 01-30-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #62
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

*Bump*

Doc Ock is still the best for me:

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #63
Gwendolyn Stacy
Nerdette

While I don't have a favorite villain, I think the most threatening/evil one was the Green Goblin.

Gwendolyn Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #64
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
*Bump*

Doc Ock is still the best for me:

Agreed. I thought all of them were fantastic, but Doc Ock was the best of the trilogy, IMO.

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #65
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I really liked Doc Ock, GG, and Sandman the most out of the trilogy but Doc Ock prevails in the end. (Even though I really loved Green Goblin)

My username is Doc Ock because of how awesome he was in Spidey 2(plus The Lizard was taken ). Molina's Doc Ock had such a cool look and attitude. I loved him before but Spidey 2 made me love him more than I ever though I would!

Go Ock!

Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #66
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Ock was so menacing in S-M2 and the fact that Molina could play a nice person with a loving wife and then suddenly switch into a menacing mad scientist proves just how great of an actor he is.

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Old 06-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #67
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

With Molina's Doc Ock I really got the feeling(much like Ledger's Joker)that he would be a huge challange for the hero to overcome. In superhero films you just know the hero will win,but I wasn't quite sure in Spider-man 2. Ock was actually a bit scary even,with how unpredictable and cunning he was. I never got that feeling with Spidey's other foes. Dafoe as Osborn was great,but his corny Goblin suit and dialogue didn't make him seem as threatening to me. Sandman and Harry Osborn really didn't even seem like much of a threat to Spidey. Harry got his ass handed to him by Spidey/Peter in Spider-man 3 so many times that he just never seemed to even be able to compete. And Marko as Sandman,well,I don't know. He just seemed like too nice a guy(or misunderstood)to ever seem like a villain.
Venom should've been a hell of a monster to battle and the ultimate challange for Spidey,but he barely got enough character development and the whole symbiote storyline was played more for laughs than scares,which shouldn't have been the case. And with the way he was written,Topher just spouted out one liners and typical "bad guy dialogue." The symbiote itself seemed more a threat to Peter then Venom did.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #68
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Edit - nvm

Old 06-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #69
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebumwhowalks View Post
So i would rank them...

1. Ock
2. Harry
3. GG
4. Venom
5. Sandman
This is pretty much my list. Ock is still my favorite of the trilogy.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #70
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

I remember the first time hearing Ock say "or I'll peel the flesh off her bones" in the trailer, and I was jsut so happy to see that awesome menacing side brought into the film.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #71
Anno_Domini
Banned User

1.) Noman Osborn/Green Goblin
2.) Otto Octavius/Doc Ock
3.) Harry Osborn/New Goblin

Venom and Sandman...meh. They didn't have any strong development whatsoever to be considered top-notch villains.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #72
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Doc Ock was visually by far the coolest, with Molina having a role that was better written than the others (at least initially). But I go with Dafoe's GG for the simple reason that while he had the worst physical appearance of the five, he shaped the entire trilogy. His ghost literally haunts the sequels and his presence is felt all the way to the final frame of SM3--as it should be with Norman Osborn. While he unfortunately did not get to do one of his iconic things (killing one of Peter's loved ones and mentally torturing him) enough, he left a legacy that ruined the friendship between Peter and Harry in SM2 and drove Harry to help Doc Ock. This led to Harry becoming the villain of SM3 (or one of them) and the one that drove Peter to truly embrace his darkness and the only one to finally torture Peter with some cruel mind games, all while appearing as part hallucination and part specter in each sequel.

He had the biggest impact, because even if there was no Gwen Stacy to throw off a bridge, he is still the one who haunts Peter to the end with his Machiavellian genius and his monstrous cruelty. Making him a owuld be father figure only enriched this until other superhero movies rehashed it too much (I'm looking at you BB and IM1).

Anyway:

1. Norman Osborn (in spite of the costume)
2. Doc Ock
3. Harry Osborn

The other two are a toss up. Venom was more fun and looked cooler, but Sandman had the better action sequences. They were both unfortunately pretty shallow compared to the three I listed above.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #73
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Sandman is my favorite because he looked the coolest.

But Doc Ock is the best villain in the trilogy.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #74
Lord
All Mighty

I found Dock Ock's movie version better than the comics version because ii found him a mmore interesting and likeable character, Green Goblin's costume wasn't really good but Osborn in the trilogy, especially as Harry's ilusion was great and i loved those parts, for me the Osborn's high lights was the Spider-Man 2 ending.
Norman Osborn is probably the main villain of the entire Trilogy.

Last edited by Lord; 07-11-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #75
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Doc Ock was visually by far the coolest, with Molina having a role that was better written than the others (at least initially). But I go with Dafoe's GG for the simple reason that while he had the worst physical appearance of the five, he shaped the entire trilogy. His ghost literally haunts the sequels and his presence is felt all the way to the final frame of SM3--as it should be with Norman Osborn. While he unfortunately did not get to do one of his iconic things (killing one of Peter's loved ones and mentally torturing him) enough, he left a legacy that ruined the friendship between Peter and Harry in SM2 and drove Harry to help Doc Ock. This led to Harry becoming the villain of SM3 (or one of them) and the one that drove Peter to truly embrace his darkness and the only one to finally torture Peter with some cruel mind games, all while appearing as part hallucination and part specter in each sequel.

He had the biggest impact, because even if there was no Gwen Stacy to throw off a bridge, he is still the one who haunts Peter to the end with his Machiavellian genius and his monstrous cruelty. Making him a owuld be father figure only enriched this until other superhero movies rehashed it too much (I'm looking at you BB and IM1).

Anyway:

1. Norman Osborn (in spite of the costume)
2. Doc Ock
3. Harry Osborn

The other two are a toss up. Venom was more fun and looked cooler, but Sandman had the better action sequences. They were both unfortunately pretty shallow compared to the three I listed above.
because we had the same opinion

Oh, hell, I'll give you another one

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote