The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > RPG Archives

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #101
TrekBiker
Side-Kick

Default Re: The New Ultimate DC RPG - Season II: Sign-Up/OOC Thread

Been a long while since I posted on here. I was reading over things and I have a few ideas for a John Stewart/Green Lantern character. Could someone PM me a summary of any GL related material from Season I?

Old 12-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #102
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
Been a long while since I posted on here. I was reading over things and I have a few ideas for a John Stewart/Green Lantern character. Could someone PM me a summary of any GL related material from Season I?
I don't know the whole thing, but I remember John Stewart was introduced. He was in training to become a GL and had a mutual-disdainful relationship with Kilowog.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #103
Harlekin
Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
Rick Tyler and Mr. Terrific are APPROVED!
Lol, Justice Society whut?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:12 AM   #104
Catman_prb
Sad Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
Basically the Corps is divided into seperate division based on emotional spectrum; Willpower, Hope and Love. Rage, Fear and Avarice are all rouge elements. William Hand came back from the dead, killed his old mentor Saint Walker, and then ravaged the universe with the Black Lantern Corps. Sinestro makes the Sinestro Corps, a group of elite Lanterns, who turn the tide of the final battle. Hand is defeated, but the Corps is severely weakened.

It may or may not have also 'got real'.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:08 AM   #105
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

If we're going to have a new Lantern aboard, I mind as well...

THE NEW ULTIMATE DC RPG
Character Application

.Character you wish to portray: Larfleeze - Green Lantern of Sector 2828 (Partner Blooch)

.Hero, villain, or walking the line?: Hero

.Powers and physical attributes: Green power ring, large tusts protruding from his face, slender yet muscular figure.

.Origin and backstory (as you see it):

Lantern Corp.

Born a child of the planet Okaara, Larfleeze grew into a strong willed adult. He lived his days as a teacher - a scholar, always striving to learn as much as he possibly could.

One day, Larfleeze witnessed a robbery in his hometown. As the other citizens watched, Larfleeze stepped in and fought the criminals - hoping to stop them. While slightly halting their escape, he ultimately failed and was injured in the skirmish. The current Green Lantern of the sector witnessed his act of bravery and recruited him into the Lantern Corp.

Showing great promise during his training, Larfleeze soon grew into a powerful agent - using the knowledge he has obtained to fuel his mind and wield his ring imaginatively and forcefully. He soon was assigned to a sector (his own) along with the Lantern who recruited him, having recently lost his partner during a case.

For years Larfleeze worked with his partner in Sector 2828, upholding the law and bringing down countless thugs and criminals. But, during a mission that still remains shrouded in mystery, Larfleeze's partner was killed and his ring was missing when the body was discovered. During the trial on Oa, Larfleeze was investigated thoroughly. After a grueling time, Larfleeze was released and reinstated as a Lantern due to no evidence being able to trace him to the cause of his partner's death or the disappearance of his ring.

Larfleeze now works in Sector 2828 with his new partner, Blooch. The two serve their sector with everything they have, doing all they can to uphold order and peace.

Recently, Larfleeze's ring gave off a signal to Oa that he had experienced the orange light of avarice. This prompted a manhunt by the Lantern Corps to find the lantern and try him for treason. Sinestro, Larfleeze's long time rival and adversary, took up the mission with his special followers within the corp. Following the last recorded place the ring was activated, Sinestro was led to Xne'sh, the second moon of Hny'xx. There he discovered a powerless Larfleeze, tired, beaten, and without his ring. It was then that the true threat revealed itself to be Larfleeze partner, Blooch. Blooch had stolen Larfleeze ring and become completely consumed with the orange light of avarice. Still not content, the mercilous foe set his eyes on Sinestro's ring, and vowed to tear it from the Lantern's lifeless body.

Now, Sinestro and Larfleeze must team up to stop Agent Orange, or perish far from home on the swampland known as Xne'sh.

Updates to the Lantern Lore:

The full color/emotional spectrum in order of strength, as well as the duties of each tier, is as follows:

Red - Rage - IMPURE
Orange - Avarice - IMPURE
Yellow - Fear - IMPURE

Green - Willpower - Officers
Blue - Hope - Special forces deployed with "Green" Lanterns for assistance
Indigo - Compassion - Medics
Violet (Sapphire) - Love - Internal Investigations

The forbidden colors (known as "The Impurities") banned by the Guardians are Red, Orange, and Yellow. All the forbidden colors from red to yellow have decreasing levels of raw power, making them stronger than the other colors in the spectrum.

However, because red is most powerful, it is also the most unstable, forcing all of the wearers who use it to go mad with fury. Orange is able to be more controlled, but it still corrupts its host to the point where the wearer becomes unaware of his/her own actions. Yellow is the only forbidden color where the lantern wielding the power has enough clarity to be in control. However, due to the dangerous emotional power behind the color (fear), the Guardians saw that administrators of justice had no part in dabbling with the controvertial emotion.

Once a wearer becomes consumed with rage, avarice, or fear, his ring changes to the corresponding color, sending out an alert to the other Lanterns and to the citadel on Oa. Unfortunately, because the forbidden colors are stronger than the standard "Green Lanterns", they cannot be tracked by lesser colors in the spectrum, much the same way alpha or beta waves cannot be used to track infared waves.

In addition, the forbidden colors have different effects on the pure rings (Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet):

Yellow causes 'pure' powered rings to be ineffective against it's power.
Orange disrupts 'pure' ring power, causing it to stall.
Red, being the most powerful of the three, causes both effects.

The ability to overcome these impurites is achieved by embracing the emotion of the impurity, as oppossed to standard Lantern Corp training, which is to repress the emotions.

(Note: these were all either established during the arc last season, or intended to be implemented to finish the arc.)

.The burning question - Why this character?:
To continue what I started with him last season during the arc with Sensei.

.How will this version of your character differ from others? How will it be Ultimate?: He's not Agent Orange - his partner is.

.What do you believe you can bring to the RPG?: Horse faced GL?

.Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more:

Larfleeze's eyes flutter as he begins to stir. Taking in a deep breath, he gasps for air, surprised to still be alive after the near fatal blow given to him by his former partner. "Blooch ... " he moans as his consciousness slowly returns. "Greed ... p-power ... he took ... the power ..."

Shifting his body, the alien moves his arm perpendicular to the ground. As he jams his fist into the dirt, he pushes himself up, rising to his knees. As he looks out, his vision shifts between blurry and clear, small bouts of black altering his view. Larfleeze rubs his head gently as he forces himself to his feet, trying to recover.

"MINE!" He hears the voices, still echoing in his mind. "Have the power ... just take it... take it..." With stern resolve, Larfleeze grits his teeth and lets out a powerful snort. His eyes widen and his focus returns - "No," he growls, forcing out the whispers. "Nothing is mine."

As Larfleeze gazes forward, he sees Blooch trying to pull the ring from Sinestro's hand. The valiant lantern fights back with all his might, but the impurity continues to infect his ring, and even his mind. "He won't give me his ring ..." Larfleeze sighs, realizing how difficult the situation has become. "But I'm not useless ... I may die here, but I'm not letting anyone else succumb to the orange light."

With a quick jolt of energy, Larfleeze runs forward - moving toward the two lanterns as fast as he can. Selflessly, Larfleeze foregoes his own saftey, caring not for what happens to him. "BLOOCH!" He shouts, leaping into the air and onto his partner's back.

"AAAARRRGGGHH!" The fiend shouts, roaring in suprise. "Get off me, weakingly! I will deal with you soon enough!"

"No," Larfleeze grunts, gripping the fur of his former allies back tightly as he fights to stay attached. The wafting flames of the orange light whip around him, engulfing him in the blaze. Despite how it looks, the fire does not burn him physically - but emotionally, internally - his mind begins to burn as the light of avarice tries to corrupt him.

"Mine..."
"Mine..."
"Mine..."

"You're going down, friend - I won't let you ruin another in your sick lust for power!" Larfleeze turns to Sinestro as his fingers dig in deeper to Blooch's hide. "I know we've never - *nyah* - been on the best of terms, but you must trust me. If we're to stop him, Thaal, you have to trust me."

"STOP ME!?" He laughs haughtily. "You have no ring! What can you possibly do?!" Larfleeze ignores Blooch's taunts - time is too short for him to be petty.

"I know the Guardians taught us to resist the impure emotions - to ignore and reject them. They told us if we didn't, we'd be consumed - that the emotions' power would overtake us and turn us into monsters!" As Blooch listens, he soon realizes what the former lantern intends to do - and a hateful scowl overtakes his face.

"SHUT UP!" He snarls, wildly crawing as his back as he tries to tear Larfleeze from his fur. "Stop talking! STOP IT NOW!"

"Once the impurities begin to take over a ring, there's no way to stop it - nothing you can do except one thing. The Guardians were wrong, Sinestro - you must embrace the emotion - confront the conflict within yourself!"

"SHUT UP! It's mine, Larfleeze, MINE!"

"Once you confront it, take control and overpower it within you! It will have no hold on you afterward."

"You, FOOL!" He shouts, allowing his greedy spirit to enflame in with anger. Four constructs of alien beasts form from his ring, each more horrifying and hideous then the next. One of the beings grabs Larfleeze, attacking him violently and tearing him away from Blooch's body. "You don't understand this power! You know NOTHING!" Blooch turns away from Sinestro and lunges toward Larfleeze, landing a striking punch to the man's stomach. "I DO control the orange light! It flows through me, empowering me and giving me life! I am the first to harness its power - the first and the last! You have no hope - no chance - to take it away!" He cackles loudly, hitting Larfleeze once more with a loud 'crack'.

"Y-you're so young, B-Blooch ..." he groans, fighting to stay awake. "So ... s-so naive."

"NAIVE?!" He growls, taking offense. "I will show you how much I know, Larfleeze!" The four constructs surround the fallen Lantern - froathing at their mouths, bearing their teeth, all in the familiar translucent orange glow. "You won't take this power from me, NO ONE will! It's MINE, you hear me?! MINE!"

.Preferred roster pic? (No preference, and one will be chosen for you): Whatever was maniped last time worked.

Last edited by Saved; 12-05-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 AM   #106
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Also, Trekbiker, here is the pre-established info on the Lantern Corp.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Lantern Corp.

A race of creatures known only as the Guardians had watched the universe for millennia. They saw the good in creatures and the bad, viewing their many acts and the emotions that drove them. As they plotted for years, the Guardians worked toward a universal organization of heroes who would protect specific sectors of the universe to ensure peace and prosperity. After a millennia or so, they settled on a final idea. A Lantern Corp.

The Guardians came together on a planet called "Oa" and built a highly technologically advanced device called the power core. The guardians then made a weapon for each of their intergalactic "officers" - a single ring, able to harness the emotional power of the user. This device would be fueled by the power core, giving it energy so the officer wielding the ring could use their emotions to control the immense power. The guardians then began careful selection of their officers, finding only the most noble - fearless organisms to wield their rings. They soon found a small few, less than a thousand. These first Lanterns would come to be known as the Alpha Lanterns.

As the Guardians trained the Lanterns, they soon found an interesting phenomenon with their rings. The color the ring projected depended upon the emotion driving the wearer. Some of these emotions were positive, others were negative.

Blue - Hope
Indigo - Compassion
Green - Willpower
Sapphire - Love
Yellow - Fear
Red - Rage
Orange - Avarice

They learned the power behind each emotion, finding the strength each one had, and the unpredictability of others. The four accepted colors in the Corp would be Blue, Indigo, Green, and Sapphire. The rejected colors were those of yellow, red, and orange. Any Lantern found using these colors was expelled and stripped of their ring. The emotions driving those colors were not needed nor wanted in an organization based on protecting the universe.

Where as the three negative emotion colors were banished and forbidden, the remaining four were each given special tasks. The Sapphire Corp were more suited to humanitarian work. This unit would report directly to the Guardians - investigating cases across the universe and giving their reports to the Guardians. The Indigo Corp was given the task of being Medics. Because their ranks were so few and their emotion compassion, the Guardians saw these individuals as being best suited to the task of healing. The Blue Corp would be sent out on special missions to aid the other Corps, seeing as their hope was inspiring and a powerful asset to the other units of the organization. The Green Corp, motivated by willpower and discipline, would become the base of their organization. These individuals would each be assigned (by pair) to each of the 3600 sectors of the universe to protect and uphold the law (Book of Oa). Each Corp has their own oath, helping them to specifically channel the emotion they require.

For centuries the Lantern Corp has thrived to uphold the Book of Oa's laws. The Guardians now have drill instructors on Oa, trusted officers hand selected by them to train their new recruits. The process is rigorous and tough, and recruit unable to achieve one of the four allowed colors is instantly rejected and expelled. Now the Corp as a whole continues to protect the universe from evil - and shine their brightest light.

- From MaskedFacedHero

Old 12-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #107
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Yes, that was some good continuity that was created by that MaskedFaceHero dude....it's a shame he isn't around any more, real shame.

Larfleeze is APPPPPPROVED!

Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #108
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

He only made one post, so whatever...

Old 12-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #109
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

But it was an epic first post!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #110
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Whatever, the guy was pretty two-faced. I will thank him for the GLC stuff, though.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #111
TrekBiker
Side-Kick

Wow, guess I started a landslide. I'll get an application up soon.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #112
TrekBiker
Side-Kick

.Character you wish to portray: John Stewart/Green Lantern

.Hero, villain, or walking the line?: Hero

.Powers and physical attributes: Athletic human being; US Marine Corps veteran; Green Lantern power ring (many and varied abilities)

.Origin and backstory (as you see it): Attended Penn State University on Marine (Navy) ROTC scholarship, graduated with a degree in architecture. Served one tour in Afghanistan 2001-2002. After a leave he served a tour in Iraq in 2003-2004. Sustained a shrapnel wound to the right leg which resulted in the amputation of that leg below the knee. After 5 months of rehabilitation, he became self-sufficient using a prosthesis. He transitioned to civilian life, getting a job in an architecture firm. With help from the Wounded Warrior Foundation, he began running 5k and 10k races. He is currently training for the Marine Corps Marathon, when he receives an invitation to join the Green Lantern Corps.

.The burning question - Why this character?: Honestly, I always liked his constructs being very detailed, rigid and exact. When I thought about a character, I think I could do a lot with his background. I wanted to take the GLC and do some space epic stuff, like the Asimov or Clarke.

.How will this version of your character differ from others? How will it be Ultimate?: I think he'll be a little more jaded, having seen the high points and low points of war (on Earth). I don't intend it to be a smooth transition into the GLC, as he initially is weary and skeptical about it.

.What do you believe you can bring to the RPG?: I've played plenty of RPGs in my time, from tabletop to online. I haven't been able to play for awhile, so I'm ready to start up again.

.Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more:

John Stewart felt the sweat dripping down his face. He had found his stride, keeping a constant pace up for the last few kilometers. He was winded, but not overly so, having found his pace.

He crested a slight hill and caught sight of the finish line. Though he certainly was not in contention to win the race, he did have his own goals and aspirations. Gradually he increased his pace, lengthening his stride and taking more rapid steps. After the nine kilometers or so he had already run at his steady rate, even a slight increase in his pace caused a great strain to his body. He could feel the sweat begin to pour down in streams. John knew the key to any race was to pace appropriately; too fast and he would burn out and hit the wall, too slow and he would finish the race with energy to spare - proof that he could have finished faster.

Faster and faster John pushed himself, covering the last kilometer quicker than the previous ones. He felt as though he were running twice as fast, though for a split-second his rational mind took over and knew that he was only going a fraction faster than his steady pace. The burning in his legs and lungs quickly overrode his rational mind and plunged him back into sheer emotion. He strained and strained, endlessly breathing in-out, in-out, the pauses in between his deep breaths getting shorter and shorter. The only sound he could hear was his own pulse in his ears. Just when he thought he could not take any more...

...it was over. He crossed the finish line, glancing up to find his time of 34:47. Though he slowed his muscles and stopped straining himself, his momentum kept him going a hundred meters or so before his body came to a full stop. He checked his legs - his left to make sure the numbness wasn't from anything serious - and his right to make sure it was still attached. Literally. The prosthesis was still solidly attached, aligned and undamaged. Each time he worried that the sweat dripping down his leg might damage the prosthesis, before smiling to himself while realizing the titanium could withstand far greater damage.

He kept moving, taking slow walking strides as he took several slower, deep breaths. It was a PR for him, and it was a good stepping stone for the Marine Corps Marathon in three months.

A flash of green light blindsided him, so intense it overloaded his photoreceptors to the point that for several seconds his optic nerve simply hurt, during which his vision was entirely flooded white. As the searing whiteness subsided and gradually his normal vision returned, he saw what could only be described as some form of extra-terrestrial standing there. From what John could piece together, he was a massively large and muscled humonoid with pink "skin" (if such a term were applicable for aliens) and he seemed to have some sort of green and black clothing or shell. The being stretched out his four-fingered hand, opening it to reveal a green ring in the palm.

"You're John Stewart, right? Name's Kilowog. Welcome to the Corps."

Then, just as suddenly, the entire background faded from John's view.

.Preferred roster pic? (No preference, and one will be chosen for you): No preference.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #113
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

John Boy is APPPPPPROVED!

Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 AM   #114
CoreBrute
Side-Kick

If your playing John Stewert, you might want to look at the old application:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=643

I think it was played somewhat.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #115
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreBrute View Post
If your playing John Stewert, you might want to look at the old application:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=643

I think it was played somewhat.
Indeed. Now I forget the rule here, but does something become canon with the application or the IC thread? 'Cause so far as I remember, none of the John Stewart posts elaborated on his past. I don't see a problem with TrekBiker having some leeway with that, if it's not technically canon.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 AM   #116
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Anything that's been posted is supposed to be canon. Apps aren't. If the posts have no backstory, he's free to elaborate on it.

If apps were canon, I've been taking a huge dump on Gallagher's Nygma app for over a year now.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #117
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Interpret a character's past as you see fit, I say. As long as you keep the basics that haven't been fully elaborated on, there are plenty of places to maneuver your own little weave of continuity into. I did that with Hal Jordan, who had been played twice before me, and nobody seemed to mind it.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #118
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Not to mention that Masquerade disappeared, so who would ever know?

Old 12-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #119
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Yeah, **** that dude!

Old 12-06-2010, 02:23 AM   #120
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
Yeah, **** that dude!
Be warned, newbies. This is how we'll treat you if you abandon us.

Well, it's how Byrd'll treat you, regardless. But that's irrelevant.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #121
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

**** you, newbie who joined the RPGs just a few months after I did!

Old 12-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #122
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?

Alright, end of the semester's here with finals coming up fast, not to mention all the other crap I have to do before I even GET to finals. I'll do my best to post, but my activity will drop for the next two weeks.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #123
Doctor Love
Newbie First Class

Question: How up to date is the roster on the first page?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #124
CoreBrute
Side-Kick

He has a point. I am in neither villain, nor Hero under the spoiler link

Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #125
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Love View Post
Question: How up to date is the roster on the first page?
Up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreBrute View Post
He has a point. I am in neither villain, nor Hero under the spoiler link
....You're there under the Walking The Line category.

Closed Thread