The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

View Poll Results: Rate MATHION: BOOK ONE OF THE MAVONDURI TRILOGY!!
10 - Fantastic!! 1 50.00%
9 1 50.00%
8 0 0%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 - Terrible!! 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #251
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Default Re: The Official MAVONDURI TRILOGY Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
That does sound good though we only pick printed books for the book club

As for printing you can do it extremely cheap at Createspace.com. The first time I had to pay anything was to order a proof of my paperback to make sure I liked how it looked prior to putting it up for sale on Createpspace and (soon) Amazon. My book is a full length novel and a proof (well, all copies) only cost me a little over $5 to order (plus shipping).

I did everything on my own as far as preparation goes (which wasn't hard) and I had a friend make the cover for me. If you can get those done free or cheaply it shouldn't be expensive at all for you. I was nervous messing with it, not sure what to expect, and now that I'm holding physical copies in my hand it's awesome. And you don't have to order any quantity of your book. When someone buys the book online they make the copy bought and send it to them. No inventory is needed. You can have it made, order a proof to look over, and then never put any more money into it for as long as you live. I'm personally buying copies to sell in person and the more people buy the more I can afford to order. Most people though I just direct right to the Createspace link in my sig.
Interesting. I'll look into it I just queried another agent who just followed me on Twitter, with a revised query letter. Hopefully she likes it.

Dark Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #252
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Good luck. I tried to query agents for my first two books but couldn't get anyone to look at them. Looking back I can kinda see why. I've put tons of work into Cicada Song to get it to where it is and it's gotten some high praise from those who've read it. One person even said they could easily have seen my book on the shelf with Nicholas Sparks' name on it and she'd believe it.

My first finished novel is rough still. I'm converting it from present tense to past tense and doing tons of edits. My most recent book, Flitter & Plank, I think could really catch some attention in the juvenile market but I've decided to not bother with agents at the moment. I'm just getting out of the mindset of MUST GET PUBLISHED and am writing for fun to get back into the enjoyment of it. Self publishing is the way for me... for now. Flitter & Plank is available as an eBook and will be available as a paperback soon. I'm actually talking to the lady who does the book buying in my district's school libraries to find out how I can get in. She's helping me find out what reading level it is, etc. I'm hoping it makes about 3rd grade, maybe 4th, and I plan to turn that book into a children's series. The sequel is already planned.

My problem is I want to write far too many genres. When you get an agent and a publisher they typically prefer you to stick to a genre for marketing purposes and I just can't. Fantasy is my most common theme but I've written a love story, a children's novel, a young adult fantasy, and am currently writing an epic fantasy. After those I have a paranormal book, a few contemporary novels, a potential horror story, a christian fiction story, an epic young adult fantasy series, a comedy graphic novel about the norse gods, and more. I'm a publisher's nightmare.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 07-25-2012 at 10:44 PM.
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #253
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Honestly, getting published by a major publisher is my ultimate dream/goal. But for those who've read my work & enjoy it, I feel like I've accomplished one dream already. I've always wanted to tell stories, and the fact that there are people out there who not only enjoy my storytelling but want more of it gives me great confidence that I will achieve my ultimate dream.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #254
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Oh and I'll be doing my interview with Read2Review.com on 8/8/2012

Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #255
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
Honestly, getting published by a major publisher is my ultimate dream/goal. But for those who've read my work & enjoy it, I feel like I've accomplished one dream already. I've always wanted to tell stories, and the fact that there are people out there who not only enjoy my storytelling but want more of it gives me great confidence that I will achieve my ultimate dream.
Best of luck to you. My dream is to be legitly published as well but I've come to grips that until I decide to focus on a genre that likely won't happen. The more I write now, and the more genres I tackle, the more I think my writing ability will improve. So this can only help me... and who knows. Maybe something I write will actually take off.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #256
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

I got the best birthday present ever. A new MacBook Pro!! Starting from scratch on THE LAST ASCENSION and getting into full editing for the Mathion R&EE release trailer!! Very excited!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #257
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Epic bump. Big things happening. Stay tuned for more.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #258
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Epic bump. Big things happening. Stay tuned for more.

I've been busy, so I haven't read the thing you sent me in the e-mail

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #259
Figs
Banned User

Alright Dark, when in the hell is the expanded edition coming out for the first book?

I'm still finishing up my Sherlock Holmes stories and your book is the next in line but I want to know if I should wait to read it and just buy the expanded version.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #260
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Alright Dark, when in the hell is the expanded edition coming out for the first book?

I'm still finishing up my Sherlock Holmes stories and your book is the next in line but I want to know if I should wait to read it and just buy the expanded version.
Haha, the R&EE comes out 9/22 Figs..but if you promise not to spread it too much I'd be more than happy to "leak" an unfinished copy of the R&EE book trailer Hell, I might just do that anyway.

Don't tell anyone!

There's still more to be added and I have to play with the audio levels a bit more before I'm fully happy with it, but you get the idea

And honestly Figs, I'll just go ahead and say start reading the OE (original edition) now, then when the R&EE comes out you can compare and contrast the two. There's a lot different between the two books, so you may get a kick out of seeing what I've added, changed, taken away...but it's ultimately your call dude.

Last edited by Dark Sentinel; 08-21-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #261
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
And honestly Figs, I'll just go ahead and say start reading the OE (original edition) now, then when the R&EE comes out you can compare and contrast the two. There's a lot different between the two books, so you may get a kick out of seeing what I've added, changed, taken away...but it's ultimately your call dude.
Oh ok. Didn't know you were actually taken some stuff out. I'll read the original first then.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #262
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Oh ok. Didn't know you were actually taken some stuff out. I'll read the original first then.
yeah the R&EE became much more a "director's cut" so to speak, but IMO its a more "complete" version of MATHION as a book than the OE. Though some still have a LOT of love for the OE, which is strange to me. I'm excited to release the R&EE, but I have to hype the s*** out of it through Twitter & YouTube and word of mouth

Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #263
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Epic bump for those who missed the trailer (ROUGH CUT!!) sneak peek. Three posts up from this one. Enjoy.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #264
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Alright so, small update but the book trailer for the Revised & Expanded Edition of MATHION will be up online THIS FRIDAY on YouTube (check my channel, TheMavonduriTrilogy).

And if you don't follow me on Twitter...what? Yeah, follow me on Twitter @Mavonduri. I talk about more than just my book but, mostly, yeah...

And there are a couple new posts up on the Mavonduri Trilogy Blog (link is in sig) so check those out and let me know what you think!

Later.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #265
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

The Revised & Expanded Edition Book Trailer is officially on YouTube!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 08-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #266
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Edit

Last edited by Dark Sentinel; 09-11-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #267
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Just got a HUGE burst of inspiration for The Last Ascension!! Can't wait to get out of this rain and to my computer so I can get to writing!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #268
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Hey all, reminder, the Revised & Expanded Edition of MATHION hits Kindle this saturday 9/22!!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #269
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Revised & Expanded Edition book trailer for those who missed it:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 09-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #270
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

R&EE will be available on Kindle after 1am EST, and NEXT WEEK I will be debuting it on Nook.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #271
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

It's here!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009EV...dir_mdp_mobile

Have at it guys!

Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #272
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Epic bump

MATHION R&EE is now on Nook http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/math...ley/1111505547

Old 10-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #273
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Gotta bump. It's on Nook after all!

Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #274
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Epic bump. You know, because

Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #275
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

This I wrote all the way back in 2004, which would have been my junior year of high school. It's very crude and archaic, and some of the names are different, but I thought I'd share it with you anyway. Enjoy!

http://m.fictionpress.com/s/1728359/1/% ... NDAR%C3%9A

MAKINDAR
The Making of mae
Jeff Shanley

MANY things have changed since mae, the World, was first made. For it was Kan who made all, and everything that has been, and shall be, is known only to him. Kan first made the Earth out of iron; and he fashioned the mountains and valleys and riverbeds in his hands, and placed in its center that power which is Life, which no one has yet fully mastered.
Kan set the World amidst Nothingness, and in doing so brought life into being; and it is mae, the World, that is at the center of time and eternity. And the radiance of Life, which is at the heart of the World, was very great, and in some parts of the world burst forth into Nothingness and became the Stars. Kan saw this, and he was glad, but he could not allow all Life to escape into Nothingness, for surely would mae perish.
So then, Kan created Water, and with it he laid it over the Earth as a blanket and made the First Sea. Great was that Sea, and terrible, for Life was wont to be free, but it was constrained by the Water which Kan had created. For this is the reason that waves crash against the shores of the land, and why some are very great and terrible indeed; for Life has a will of its own, for it is a Being, and no one, be he Man, Knai, or Wolven, can control it, save Kan alone.
Kan saw this, and for a time he thought. Finally, he took seven droplets of Life and encased them in a new substance: Crystal, the most ancient of the solid substances of the Earth. But then, the Life that was within the stones created for themselves physical forms; and thus the first of Beings, the White Wolves, came into Existence. Therefore, the seven stones that lay within the hearts of the Wolves are called the Knadaren, the Wolfstones.
These are the names of the White Wolves, according to the lore of the sages of novn: the eldest was ne, and he was lord of the Seven. Next were ne and ra, who were twins in the mind of Kan. ku was wise according to the sages of novn, but not near to ne, and Ar was a great hunter. Uya and Oya were the youngest. Kan saw that they existed out of their own Being, and he took it upon himself to fashion for them in mae lands of their own, where they could be lords, for this is the desire of Life: to live freely and in peace.
From out of the depths of the First Sea, Kan raised the mountains, valleys, and all that he had first made to new heights, so that they towered above the Sea and created new seas, some greater and some smaller. And the lands were separated so that each Wolf would have a land of his own to govern as he saw fit; for White Wolves are the wisest of all beings.
But to ne, Kan gave two lands, which he had not originally created when he first made the World. Out of the depths of that Sea that is between four of the Great Lands, Kan raised a great land in the north, and a lesser land in the south, and he said to ne:
"Go now, and rule thy land as thou wouldst, ne lord of the Wolves, for thou are a great king, deserving of great dominion in mae." And ne saw the lands and was glad, for they were green and full of life, and already, as Kan raised them from the depths, beasts ran on its earth and birds flew in its skies. The mountains of these lands were greater than any other in mae, and rose to sheer heights so that one might see the lands that were now across narrow seas.
But now, ne was sad, for though beasts and birds were good, for Kan had made them, and Kan perceived this.
"Why dost thou weep, ne lord of Wolves?" he asked. And ne said:
"Kan, thou art great and wise, and I am very glad to have dominion in mae. But there is none that I may teach. Beasts and birds are good, but they provide no speech, for they are dumb and cannot speak with tongue. I wish of my own people."
Kan sat in thought for a while, and pondered the words of ne. For he had already made the race of Men in the Outer Lands of mae, and they were given speech but they were still only in their youth. After a time, Kan came to ne again, and he said:
"Behold, ne, first of the race of Wolves, I have sat and hearkened to your words. And this shall I decree: to ne, lord of the race of Wolves, I shall give to thee a part of the race of Men to dwell in thy dominion. Also, I shall giveth to thee a female of your race, so that you may multiply and spread Life throughout your dominion, which lieth within thine Being. To the part of Men that shall dwelleth within thy realm, I shall give them power to become as thou art, so that ye may have speech with others, as thou hast asked.
"But hear now, O ne: a Ban I set upon thy people the Knn: that they should not enter the southern realm of thine kingdom, or do harm to any of thine kin, lest evil befall and they are become estranged from thee and thine kin for ever. If this should occur, this land I shall then give to five clans of Men, for they are noble and wise among their race, and thine people, the Knn, shall become fallen and be prone to death. Silver shall slay them, and they shalt forget thy and thine kin, and become evil.
"But listen not to this sorrowful doom, for it may chance that thou shalt prevent this, and that thou must think of. This is my decree; accept it, or be alone for ever."
ne hearkened to this, and thought for a great while, for he wished not to make a great ill come into mae. And he said to Kan:
"Lord of mae and all that dwelleth in it, I shall accept thy decree with one request: The lands of mae are dark, and with little light, save for the Stars. I wish now that ye make a great Light to illumine the World, so that I may appreciate the beauty of my dominion. This I beg of thee." And Kan said:
"So shall it be."
And it was thus that the race of Knn came to the greater realm of ne in the north, and it was named Knavad, that is the Land of the Wolf, for it was in honor of ne, the lord of that land. And to the southern realm was the name novn given, for it was a fair southerly land. And to the Knn ne taught the speech of Knik, and ne and they held converse with each other for many ages after.
And soon, the great Light that ne wished of arose in the East, and for a great time, there was peace; until the Unnamed Shadow came upon the Knn, and like Kan said, though ne tried to prevent it, they fell, and the first blood was slain upon the soil of Knavad.