The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 06-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #251
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Default Re: The "realism" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I liked Thor but I didnt like the explanation for magic. Will we see an explanation for magic in Dr. Strange?
It's not like they gave some technical justification for how Mjolnir works.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #252
JAKŪ
Upstart

I love that X-Men: First Class just did the yellow and blue costumes, proving everyone who thought that they would look silly wrong.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #253
gn6196
Side-Kick

Can't wait to see it.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #254
ALP
In The Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
I love that X-Men: First Class just did the yellow and blue costumes, proving everyone who thought that they would look silly wrong.

They were alright but not great because they're just makeshift jumpsuits that you can buy from any aerial store. But put that color palette on the Bryan Singer suits...now that would have been amazing!

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN

Last edited by ALP; 06-04-2011 at 04:10 PM.
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #255
Red.Star.Killer
powered by will!

Quote:
Just make a good film. That's all that matters.
I agree with this 110%! There's nothing wrong with realism in comic films but sometimes you have to step back and look at things reasonably. Everything has it's limits. Case in point, the freddy in the nightmare remake. His makeup was done to make Haley look more "realistic" but it's a film about a guy who died and came back in the dream world to kill people in their sleep. With dream powers. Again, just make a damn good movie.

Red.Star.Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #256
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Star.Killer View Post
I agree with this 110%! There's nothing wrong with realism in comic films but sometimes you have to step back and look at things reasonably. Everything has it's limits. Case in point, the freddy in the nightmare remake. His makeup was done to make Haley look more "realistic" but it's a film about a guy who died and came back in the dream world to kill people in their sleep. With dream powers. Again, just make a damn good movie.
I agree. I would also like to add that I think there's a mindset that realism means only "X can't happen". There are things that work better in a more realistic setting, for example: While I don't think that the more fantastical stuff, such as Claw Island from Batman Forever, would work in the Nolanverse, I doubt that having the police meaningfully try to stop the villain, such as when the SWAT team went into the Prewitt Building at the end in Batman and Joker's climactic battle in The Dark Knight, would work in either Burton or Schumacher's films. Thoughts?

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #257
Franklin Richards
Banned User

A raid? You're saying a police raid wouldn't work in a more fantastic film? If that's what you're saying, I disagree. One of the best parts of Watchmen was the capture of Rorschach.

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #258
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Richards View Post
A raid? You're saying a police raid wouldn't work in a more fantastic film? If that's what you're saying, I disagree. One of the best parts of Watchmen was the capture of Rorschach.

Watchmen is a bit different, as it's a deconstruction of superheroes, about what would happen if superheroes existed in the real world. Would a police raid on the Joker's hideout work in BATMAN (1989)? Would a police raid on Riddler's hideout on Claw Island have worked in Batman Forever? Would a supervillain being arrested by the police work in most of the more fantastic superhero films work?

The more you know.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #259
Red.Star.Killer
powered by will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
I agree. I would also like to add that I think there's a mindset that realism means only "X can't happen". There are things that work better in a more realistic setting, for example: While I don't think that the more fantastical stuff, such as Claw Island from Batman Forever, would work in the Nolanverse, I doubt that having the police meaningfully try to stop the villain, such as when the SWAT team went into the Prewitt Building at the end in Batman and Joker's climactic battle in The Dark Knight, would work in either Burton or Schumacher's films. Thoughts?
That is true as well, although sometimes they can work hand in hand. Say if in a Hulk film he transforms and rampages in the middle of downtown manhattan. Sure the swat units would come (realism), but they'd get tossed around in great and epic looking ways without being killed somehow (fantasy). But certain films do warrant certain aspects of each. I think that's why begins and dark knight work so well. Yeah it's plausible, but it's still a man dressed up as a bat fighting crime.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #260
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
That is true as well, although sometimes they can work hand in hand. Say if in a Hulk film he transforms and rampages in the middle of downtown manhattan. Sure the swat units would come (realism), but they'd get tossed around in great and epic looking ways without being killed somehow (fantasy). But certain films do warrant certain aspects of each. I think that's why begins and dark knight work so well. Yeah it's plausible, but it's still a man dressed up as a bat fighting crime.
I guess I see what you're saying. Personally, however, with the Hulk, nobody dying is ********.
As for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I think they actually made "a man dressed up as a bat fighting crime" plausible. Then again, I think that kind of a thing is perspective.
Personally, I like the idea of superheroes as symbols and ideas embodied, symbols to inspire fear in evildoers, hope in the distressed, patriotism to one's countrymen, and so on, with the costume being a uniform of that symbol. It's a lot more mature and meaningful than just a costume worn because the hero in question wants to wear a costume.

The more you know.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #261
El Payaso
Banned User

I think the guy who was shooting Hulk from an helicopter pretty much died when Hulk made the helicopter crash.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:59 AM   #262
Red.Star.Killer
powered by will!

Quote:
I guess I see what you're saying. Personally, however, with the Hulk, nobody dying is ********.
As for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I think they actually made "a man dressed up as a bat fighting crime" plausible. Then again, I think that kind of a thing is perspective.
Personally, I like the idea of superheroes as symbols and ideas embodied, symbols to inspire fear in evildoers, hope in the distressed, patriotism to one's countrymen, and so on, with the costume being a uniform of that symbol. It's a lot more mature and meaningful than just a costume worn because the hero in question wants to wear a costume.
Exactly, it was plausible! But it's still fantastical, if it were a 100% plausible Bill Gates or Oprah would've done it already,they definitely have the bank account lol. But that's the beauty of these films and why they work. They take fantasy and make it real, whether through film by bringing it to life or by adding a different take to ground it.

Wheter full on or half and half realism and fantasy can coexist as good as peanut butter and jelly. Thus the costumes no matter how flashy (Green Lantern/Captain America) or Grim (Punisher/Batman) if there is meaning to it then it works. The same follows for the fantasy/realism aspect as well as character and story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I think the guy who was shooting Hulk from an helicopter pretty much died when Hulk made the helicopter crash.
True, but the fantastical part was that of the people to survive of course it would be the two main supporting characters lol. Of course that goes without saying, but still, they get to live because they're literally more special than everyone else is a strech, but it is an accepted strech lol. Now something like the butler knowing what happend that night between Norman Osborne and Peter Parker and not telling Harry for years...

Last edited by Red.Star.Killer; 06-05-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #263
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
True, but the fantastical part was that of the people to survive of course it would be the two main supporting characters lol. Of course that goes without saying, but still, they get to live because they're literally more special than everyone else is a strech, but it is an accepted strech lol. Now something like the butler knowing what happend that night between Norman Osborne and Peter Parker and not telling Harry for years...
Haha. That was just bad.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #264
JAKŪ
Upstart

The costume that Christian Bale wore in TDK would kill the wearer with heat exhaustion if someone fought crime in it in real life.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #265
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Watchmen is a bit different, as it's a deconstruction of superheroes, about what would happen if superheroes existed in the real world. Would a police raid on the Joker's hideout work in BATMAN (1989)? Would a police raid on Riddler's hideout on Claw Island have worked in Batman Forever? Would a supervillain being arrested by the police work in most of the more fantastic superhero films work?
Just watch, Thanos will be apprehended by the NYPD after crashing the Thanos Copter in Avengers.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #266
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Exactly, it was plausible! But it's still fantastical, if it were a 100% plausible Bill Gates or Oprah would've done it already,they definitely have the bank account lol. But that's the beauty of these films and why they work. They take fantasy and make it real, whether through film by bringing it to life or by adding a different take to ground it.

Wheter full on or half and half realism and fantasy can coexist as good as peanut butter and jelly. Thus the costumes no matter how flashy (Green Lantern/Captain America) or Grim (Punisher/Batman) if there is meaning to it then it works. The same follows for the fantasy/realism aspect as well as character and story.
I agree.

Quote:
Personally, the main characters getting to survive what would kill anybody else, merely because they are main characters is a stretch that I don't care for. Quite frankly, I hate it, and I'm tired of seeing it in movies.

The more you know.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #267
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
The costume that Christian Bale wore in TDK would kill the wearer with heat exhaustion if someone fought crime in it in real life.
Bale said the TDK costume is far more comfortable (read: cooler) than the BB suit. So it can be assumed it is far cooler than all of the 90's suits.

So you are right - if someone was stupid enough to fight crime in real life with that costume they would die quickly from heat exhaustion, but not as quick as if they wore the previous suits.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #268
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
Bale said the TDK costume is far more comfortable (read: cooler) than the BB suit. So it can be assumed it is far cooler than all of the 90's suits.

So you are right - if someone was stupid enough to fight crime in real life with that costume they would die quickly from heat exhaustion, but not as quick as if they wore the previous suits.
Still, it's not realistic, is it?

Old 06-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #269
roach
I am the night

to be honest if someone was going to fight crime they would have to make a decision if they want speed or protection...you cant have both. I think if I was to one day decide to fight crime I'd go with speed and stealth. Costume designed around ninja outfits....wide range of motion...almost no hinderance

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #270
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
The comics suit would get you killed.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #271
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
The comics suit would get you killed.
Being a vigilante does that.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #272
BlackLantern
Banned User

or the criminals would die laughing

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #273
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
or the criminals would die laughing
No, I don't see that happening.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #274
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Still, it's not realistic, is it?
Nope, but it creates the limited illusion of realism. Which is all Nolan really did with the Batman mythos.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #275
ALP
In The Mountains

Quote:
d00d, Batman would not die of heat exhaustion, he is smarter than that. That is the reason why he only fights crime at night. Temperature at night in Gotham is always cool and Batman also has insulated AC in the suit for when the night is humid. Lots of people have thermal underwear, he has cooling underwear.

You forget that Christian Bale is a method actor. Before the filming of TDK, he went out in the streets of Chicago and fought crime for a few nights. I got all of this from the World News Weekly so it must be true

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote