The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #151
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Default Re: The "realism" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
From my perspective, the 'realism' thing is blown completely out of proportion. The fact of the matter is if there's a logic and reason behind the outfit it's going to be easily more accepted by the masses. If it makes sense, even semi-sense, then suspension of disbelief is made easier, suddenly that silly costume has some substance, depth and tangibility to it. And there's nothing wrong with that, there's nothing wrong with segmented costume pieces, with texture, with logic. To use the excuse that it's 'just a superhero film' is kinda lazy, if that's the mind set then fans shouldn't be surprised if people don't take the film seriously, and that's ultimately what it boils down to. For the genre to be taken seriously it has to be treated as such. There's a reason simplicity is paramount in comics, it's because there isn't the time to go into great detail, if there was the time I'd hazard a guess many of the characters we have know be far more detailed, maybe even look completely different. Comics and film really are two completely different mediums, they're not really as adaptable as people think, so there's gotta be compromise somewhere, and to date I think most films have done exactly that.
This is what I've been trying to say. Something's always gotta give with Superhero films because you're trying to input some level of logic in a genre in which little is usually accepted by fans. There has to be some real world logic in order for the GA to accept it. Film and Comics are two different genres with two different sets of rules for a good level of suspension of disbelief.

Just because Captain America's costume has changed doesn't mean the film's going to be grounded in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #152
jmc
callin' it like I see it

There's a certain irony that fans are so desperate to have their favourite superhero brought to life yet they don't want the costume to look like something from real life. I hate to tell you folks, comic books are not a genre, they're a medium, the sooner you get the design simplicity of comics out of your head the better it will be, and maybe you'll enjoy the movies more. Lets look at superhero films as a whole, the movies studios have done a pretty good job for the most part of in terms of adapting the designs of these characters.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #153
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Its not just comics either. Look how Jackson made LOTR more "grounded" than the books.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #154
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
There's a certain irony that fans are so desperate to have their favourite superhero brought to life yet they don't want the costume to look like something from real life. I hate to tell you folks, comic books are not a genre, they're a medium, the sooner you get the design simplicity of comics out of your head the better it will be, and maybe you'll enjoy the movies more. Lets look at superhero films as a whole, the movies studios have done a pretty good job for the most part of in terms of adapting the designs of these characters.
mostly....still not a fan of how the FF uniforms came out

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #155
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

The costume issue is more about current fashion than style.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #156
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
The costume issue is more about current fashion than style.
could you cite a specific example? I'm a bit murky by what you mean

Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #157
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
Its not just comics either. Look how Jackson made LOTR more ''grounded'' than the books.
I wouldn't agree with that at all, Jackson's take on LOTR was more or less exactly how I pictured it, I know many others who say the same, Tokien developed such a rich world that it almost feels like a history book as opposed to a piece of fiction, in fact if anything Tokien's books are probably more grounded than Jackson's films, Jackson had to make it cinematic.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #158
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
Its not just comics either. Look how Jackson made LOTR more "grounded" than the books.
I wouldn'tsay 'grounded' is what he did.

I'd moreso say he simply condensed the story since a film will never have the time luxury that a book gets.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #159
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
could you cite a specific example? I'm a bit murky by what you mean
Fashion is more about current clothing trends. Style is more personal and reflects the person who wears the clothes.

A superhero costume is supposed to be flashy. So colors don't always have to mix right. Let's face it, western comic artists aren't fashion designers.

But in today's movie standards bright colored costumes don't look good anymore. This is proven in the X-Men films because the comic costumes would look more ridiculous and outdated. Superman's bright red doesn't mix well with the bright blue and yellow. That's fashion. Nobody believes Capt. America should wear bucaneer boots anymore. Nobody would accept a Batman not wearing body armor instead of the simple leotards and leather boots of the old days. That view is what messed up the costumes in Watchmen. That was supposed to be set in the early 1980's, but instead they're dressed like it was decades later.

It still looks good in comics but not in live-action. This issue is one of the biggest debates on the Wonder Woman film.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.

Last edited by Red Mask; 01-17-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #160
BlackLantern
Banned User

I thought the costumes in Watchmen (aside from Ozymandias) were pretty good

Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #161
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Fashion is more about current clothing trends. Style is more personal and reflects the person who wears the clothes.

A superhero costume is supposed to be flashy. So colors don't always have to mix right. Let's face it, western comic artists aren't fashion designers.

But in today's movie standards bright colored costumes don't look good anymore. This is proven in the X-Men films because the comic costumes would look more ridiculous and outdated. Superman's bright red doesn't mix well with the bright blue and yellow. That's fashion. Nobody believes Capt. America should wear bucaneer boots anymore. Nobody would accept a Batman not wearing body armor instead of the simple leotards and leather boots of the old days. That view is what messed up the costumes in Watchmen. That was supposed to be set in the early 1980's, but instead they're dressed like it was decades later.

It still looks good in comics but not in live-action.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #162
BlackLantern
Banned User

certain colors work on screen....Superman and Spider-man being prime examples

the X-men....bright yellow/gold looks like absolute ass on film

Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #163
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
I thought the costumes in Watchmen (aside from Ozymandias) were pretty good
But not believable for 1980's standards. If it was supposed to help sell toys, I don't think many people really bought them.

even with bare hands.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #164
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:

X-Men is a strange case. I think they're part of a different argument altogether.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #165
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:

That's fashion right there. Tim Gunn loved the new WW costume over the classic one. I bet the X-Men flashy costumes would have been great in a 1970's film.

even with bare hands.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #166
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
X-Men is a strange case. I think they're part of a different argument altogether.
probably...but anyone thinking they are going to get Cyclops in gold/blue, Rogue in yellow/green and Wolverine in blue/gold on the big screen is going to be sorely disappointed

Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #167
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
probably...but anyone thinking they are going to get Cyclops in gold/blue, Rogue in yellow/green and Wolverine in blue/gold on the big screen is going to be sorely disappointed
The X-Men are a peculiar case. The team is supposed to represent different people - those who are outsiders. But to sell the whole team, and the theme, they need to look more subdued and unified. They're repackaging a group of hippies to the squares who love totalitarian Batman.

even with bare hands.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #168
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
The X-Men are a peculiar case. The team is supposed to represent different people - those who are outsiders. But to sell the whole team, and the theme, they need to look more subdued and unified. They're repackaging a group of hippies to the squares who love totalitarian Batman.
I always liked the old school black and gold outfits...they are essentially a paramilitary strike team, they should look like it

Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #169
roach
I am the night

Quote:
didnt they say they would be in the old school blue and golds

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #170
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
I always liked the old school black and gold outfits...they are essentially a paramilitary strike team, they should look like it
I wouldn't really compare them to a paramilitary strike team, but I get your drift. Personality wise, I saw the X-Men as more loose and easy going.

even with bare hands.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #171
JAK®
Upstart

Can I ask anyone what is so ridiculous about a black and grey colour combination?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #172
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Can I ask anyone what is so ridiculous about a black and grey colour combination?
Nothing at all. If done right it could look bad***.

I also see the point of all black for stealth as well though.

All you really need to do is maintain the suspension of disbelief. Realism is not a factor really, its more the latter.

People just call it realism IMO.

WildcatNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #173
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
I could've told you a year or so ago.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #174
roach
I am the night

Frank Miller:
"People are attempting to bring a superficial reality to superheroes which is rather stupid. They work best as the flamboyant fantasies they are. I mean, these are characters that are broad and big. I don't need to see sweat patches under Superman's arms. I want to see him fly."

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #175
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Yes, listen to the guy who made the Spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote