The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Approval & General RPG Discussion

Old 08-15-2011, 03:26 AM   #351
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

I've given my endorsement.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #352
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Byrd came up with a good idea (it was bound to happen), and I also posted over in the Fan Fiction forum. http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post21244231

Who knew we had a Fan Fiction forum?

And why weren't they segregated off into the Basement. Damned hypocritical mods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #353
Blacklight
Revamped and Renegade.

So I thought this would be the appropriate thread to post my thoughts, but from what I can gather from my outside observations (being that I don't currently play any games aside from CAH), it seems to me that rebooting WOH doesn't seem to have fixed the issue of lack of posting or lack of new blood in the game or the games as a whole. And it doesn't look like the OU reboot is faring much better and it will probably fall victim to a similar fate. That being said, do you guys think that the problem is the fact that we based the new version off of the DCnU (which, from what I can tell, many of us aren't too satisfied with the changes and the differences between the new universe and the original DCU), or is it simply because the Basement's collective interest in playing has just faded out? More importantly though, what can we do to remedy the situation?

Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #354
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

But... One Earth is doing fine.

Infact, it's probably one of the more prosperous games of the forums.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #355
Blacklight
Revamped and Renegade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post

But... One Earth is doing fine.

Infact, it's probably one of the more prosperous games of the forums.
Fair enough. I'm merely going by the most recent of post lists, in which there were more names listed that haven't posted in 3 weeks than 1 or 2, but that was days ago. Either way though, how long will that last?

EDIT: I apologize. There are in fact less names on the 3 week section of the last two lists than 1 or 2. But, I still stand by my theory that OE might find itself in a posting rut sooner or later as WF and other games/reboots in the past have...

Last edited by Blacklight; 01-13-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #356
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

With WF, I do believe it is a case of people losing interest in all the games. Or maybe just the games based on comic continuity? UDC, CAH, and OE are doing good maybe because of the creative freedoms they are allowed.

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #357
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
. Either way though, how long will that last?
As long as people roll up their sleeves and put in the work. No offense, but it's easy to look on the outside and comment, quite another to put your money where you mouth is and and help out. Not just you, but several others. You want these games to stick around? Play in them.

-- Otto von Bismarck

Below The Bible Belt
Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #358
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
EDIT: I apologize. There are in fact less names on the 3 week section of the last two lists than 1 or 2. But, I still stand by my theory that OE might find itself in a posting rut sooner or later as WF and other games/reboots in the past have...
I... what?

What reboots are you referring to? The only two I can recall are Marvel and UDC, and UDC is in it's third season and going strong. Again, OE is doing perfectly fine.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #359
Blacklight
Revamped and Renegade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
As long as people roll up their sleeves and put in the work. No offense, but it's easy to look on the outside and comment, quite another to put your money where you mouth is and and help out. Not just you, but several others. You want these games to stick around? Play in them.
I wish I could, but I don't have nearly as much free time anymore as I did 5 years ago. So little in fact that the one game I DO play in I have a hard time finding the time to write a post, and for the most part, I have to rely on pre-written material. That combined with the lack of character selection in terms of who I want to play make it hard for me to jump in.

That being said, though, I bring this up because I have developed an emotional attachment to these games and I, very much like the rest of you, want these games, ALL of them, to prosper and be full of activity as the were when I first came to these forums.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #360
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

But the stuff with OE is a bunch of ifs. You can talk about ifs until you're blue in the ****ing face. I don't care about ifs. I care about the here and now. That's all that matters right now, what we do today to make sure the games get to see another tomorrow. And that's actually ****ing posting!

-- Otto von Bismarck

Below The Bible Belt
Old 01-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #361
Blacklight
Revamped and Renegade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I... what?

What reboots are you referring to? The only two I can recall are Marvel and UDC, and UDC is in it's third season and going strong. Again, OE is doing perfectly fine.
Ultimate Marvel had a short-lived reboot, the aforementioned 616 reboot, Transformers had two iterations, Multiversers had several, and I personally, in my opinion, do consider All-Star Marvel to be a new version of Ultimate Marvel being that creative freedom and no non-player established continuity aside, they were similar games. There also might've been a few I might be forgetting.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #362
Blacklight
Revamped and Renegade.

Quote:
Ultimate Marvel had a short-lived reboot, the aforementioned 616 reboot, Transformers had two iterations, Multiversers had several, and I personally, in my opinion, do consider All-Star Marvel to be a new version of Ultimate Marvel being that creative freedom and no non-player established continuity aside, they were similar games. There also might've been a few I might be forgetting.
Add to that list a Pokemon reboot, "Rise of Marvels" which was a quasi-reboot of the "Dawn of Marvels" game (also predecessors to ASM in a way), and then there was also the Ballad of Saints game that was like Gods and Men. Also, OU: Independents was the successor to "From the Pages Of". That's not even counting the first two Hype Horrors, which if I'm not mistaken, petered out before properly concluding, as well as "The Walking Dead" Game, which although not a reboot, did come after the original Zombie RPG.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #363
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Honestly, I don't know what the **** more I can do. I try to post as much as I can, try to keep others posting, and try to recruit from outside the RPGs. That's all we can do. If everyone could at least try to do two of those things, this wouldn't be a goddamn problem

-- Otto von Bismarck

Below The Bible Belt
Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #364
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

I've said it before, but it's true. What gets the most posting going is working together rather than doing solo arcs.

Look at CaH. Posting has been crazy because team arcs have been going on.

WF was on a spree, not just because it restarted, but because every one was posting in the big event together. But once the event was over, posting dropped right away.

In OU, posting comes fastest when the players are playing off of each other.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #365
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

Only advice I can give that helped me over the years for people who have trouble posting that I myself have to recall is to keep yourself up-to-date with the IC thread. Reading other people's stories actively and keeping that feeling that you are in the same world can help if you are the one doing a solo arc.

I know since I have done A LOT of solo work and lately my activeness has been low so I too struggle with the characters that I am doing solo work for whereas the character that I'm doing interaction work with is easier to post with.

trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #366
Lord
All Mighty

What happened with the Ultimate Marvel RPG?
Is it going to return?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #367
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

It went through like 2 or 3 reboots and died. Marvel games don't seem to last here anymore. So I doubt a new game will arise.

trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #368
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

It's ashes rest somewhere in the dried tears of Andy C...

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #369
Rain Dog
Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post
It's ashes rest somewhere in the dried tears of Andy C...
That's All-Star Marvel. Ultimate's remains were allegedly buried under Giants Stadium beside Jimmy Hoffa .

Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #370
Lord
All Mighty

Lol, i meant All-Star Marvel, isn't that one going to return?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #371
Carnage27
No one's puppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Lol, i meant All-Star Marvel, isn't that one going to return?
Probably not any time soon.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #372
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

I think ultimately, the problem lies in the fact that the RPG basement community just isn't as thriving as it used to be, and the motivation to post among those of us who are left isn't what it used to be either. And no amount of reboots is going to change that.

I'm limited to just one character in one RPG right now, and I know I'm not even doing that the justice I should be. The fact is, I spend so much time doing writing now - whether it be writing comic scripts or writing reviews for sites - that to then do writing in my downtime from that can be exhausting. The only reason I post at all is because I love this community so much, and want to remain a part of it.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #373
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Basically, it's not the games that need rebooted.

It's the Community.

I sort of came aboard the Community during the transition from the first to second generation of RPers. And road the wave of that second generation.

Now we're transitioning from the 2nd to 3rd generation. Problem is...there's no 3rd generation to join us. The only new players I've seen are in CaH. But because they don't play in any other games, and there are only a couple of new players, the Basement as a whole is suffering.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #374
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Agreeing with wieg here. I'm one of the few remaining RPers who's been here almost since the very beginning, seen a lot of comings and goings from one generation to the next, and right now there doesn't seem to be much of a "next" generation to refill the slowly diminishing ranks of the current old one.

I think the primary problem is location. Sure, when we first moved to the Basement we were all happy and thinking we were special to get our own exclusive area of the Hype, but the long term problems with that shift have definitely become apparent. Even the most frequent of Hype posters and comic book enthusiasts often aren't even aware that there is an RPG forum. Now, we've tried advertising ourselves (and I'm not saying that should stop) and streamlining our forums, but that hasn't really bore much fruit. Personally, I think one of the best possible solutions to get a growing membership again would be to relocate to a subforum under the Comic Books category.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #375
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

I know we talked about doing that over the summer, but MB never heard back from the other mods and admins about it.

-- Otto von Bismarck

Below The Bible Belt