The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Approval & General RPG Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #26
Carnage27
No one's puppet
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,198
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Length? I'd personally say that depends on the game and how well they are supported, imo. For instance, I've got ideas floating around in my head that could last a season and no longer.

But I've also got ideas that could last 2 seasons to becoming full-fledged games like we usually do.

I really think it all depends on the game master and how well they are supported. But I guess that kinda negates the notion of a short-term game.

__________________
I got no strings on me...
Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #27
Carnage27
No one's puppet
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,198
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
And yet 2 seasons sounds too short
Well, if we had season lengths, I wouldn't mind 3. But the way this past OU season has been going, 3 seasons would take half a lifetime.

__________________
I got no strings on me...
Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #28
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,379
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Something else that should be addressed is post frequency. WoH and OU started with a one month limit (with a complicated procedure after two weeks). Now both games are down to three weeks.

But I think it should be a hard two week limit. Honestly, that only requires two posts a month. If it takes you more than fifteen days to make a post, something is wrong.

Now, if something's going on in real life, or you know you're gonna be gone on vacation or a business trip or whatever for a couple of weeks, you could clear it with the GM ahead of time.

But, upping post frequency would help get stories told faster, keep games active, and boost interaction with other players. Exactly what we need. And it's more likely players will be able to wrap stories up in a season or two rather than dragging it out for three or four.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #29
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,379
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage27 View Post
Well, if we had season lengths, I wouldn't mind 3. But the way this past OU season has been going, 3 seasons would take half a lifetime.
Very true. Season 1 of Star Wars is over a year old now.


With the short, definite arc-games idea that's been brought up, I say make each game last only one season. Now, if the game is going along great, with lots of activity, that's when the GM considers extending it another year, and even then it doesn't necessarily have to be extended at all. Leave them wanting more, and all that.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #30
Carnage27
No one's puppet
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,198
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Something else that should be addressed is post frequency. WoH and OU started with a one month limit (with a complicated procedure after two weeks). Now both games are down to three weeks.

But I think it should be a hard two week limit. Honestly, that only requires two posts a month. If it takes you more than fifteen days to make a post, something is wrong.

Now, if something's going on in real life, or you know you're gonna be gone on vacation or a business trip or whatever for a couple of weeks, you could clear it with the GM ahead of time.

But, upping post frequency would help get stories told faster, keep games active, and boost interaction with other players. Exactly what we need. And it's more likely players will be able to wrap stories up in a season or two rather than dragging it out for three or four.
I completely agree. Hell, I'd say after 10 days your character is up for grabs, but I'm a hard ass.

Also, I wouldn't mind a rule about picking someone up and then dropping him without making a post. You should have to play as Stilt Man for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Very true. Season 1 of Star Wars is over a year old now.


With the short, definite arc-games idea that's been brought up, I say make each game last only one season. Now, if the game is going along great, with lots of activity, that's when the GM considers extending it another year, and even then it doesn't necessarily have to be extended at all. Leave them wanting more, and all that.
Agreed.

__________________
I got no strings on me...
Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #31
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,497
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Something else that should be addressed is post frequency. WoH and OU started with a one month limit (with a complicated procedure after two weeks). Now both games are down to three weeks.

But I think it should be a hard two week limit. Honestly, that only requires two posts a month. If it takes you more than fifteen days to make a post, something is wrong.

Now, if something's going on in real life, or you know you're gonna be gone on vacation or a business trip or whatever for a couple of weeks, you could clear it with the GM ahead of time.

But, upping post frequency would help get stories told faster, keep games active, and boost interaction with other players. Exactly what we need. And it's more likely players will be able to wrap stories up in a season or two rather than dragging it out for three or four.
I think there should be a bit stricter game management with GMs. I like to take a loose approach with the games, as do most of us, but maybe it we upped our control just a bit, without stepping on anybody's creativity, we can better motivate and inspire people to post. That can mean anything from NPCing characters to move a story along, to creating and introducing story arcs for people who need help with their characters.

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #32
Rain Dog
Failure
 
Rain Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Inside a broken clock
Posts: 1,843
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Very true. Season 1 of Star Wars is over a year old now.


With the short, definite arc-games idea that's been brought up, I say make each game last only one season. Now, if the game is going along great, with lots of activity, that's when the GM considers extending it another year, and even then it doesn't necessarily have to be extended at all. Leave them wanting more, and all that.
I think a 2nd season should be considered only if the responses is still overwhelmingly positive after a hiatus of a coulple months after the game's end.

Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #33
Carnage27
No one's puppet
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,198
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
I think there should be a bit stricter game management with GMs. I like to take a loose approach with the games, as do most of us, but maybe it we upped our control just a bit, without stepping on anybody's creativity, we can better motivate and inspire people to post. That can mean anything from NPCing characters to move a story along, to creating and introducing story arcs for people who need help with their characters.
I like this idea as well. As of now, all our GMs do is approve characters basically.

__________________
I got no strings on me...
Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #34
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,379
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
I think there should be a bit stricter game management with GMs. I like to take a loose approach with the games, as do most of us, but maybe it we upped our control just a bit, without stepping on anybody's creativity, we can better motivate and inspire people to post. That can mean anything from NPCing characters to move a story along, to creating and introducing story arcs for people who need help with their characters.
I really like that idea. I'm thinking if Star Trek hadn't died off before the point we introduced it, it might have picked things up quite a bit.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #35
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,379
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage27 View Post
I like this idea as well. As of now, all our GMs do is approve characters basically.
That's only because we like to collect our paychecks without doing any real work. You know, in preparation for becoming US Senators.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #36
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,379
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Dog View Post
I think a 2nd season should be considered only if the responses is still overwhelmingly positive after a hiatus of a coulple months after the game's end.
Absolutely.

If everyone in the game is posting great and saying "I don't want it to end!", then maybe it shouldn't.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #37
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,497
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
That's only because we like to collect our paychecks without doing any real work. You know, in preparation for becoming US Senators.
Silence, you fool!

Just had a thought. Now I know I'm a GM and an AGM is pretty much every RPG.

But who is the GM, BBMFIC, of OU? Is it you or....who?

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #38
Carnage27
No one's puppet
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,198
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
That's only because we like to collect our paychecks without doing any real work. You know, in preparation for becoming US Senators.
Of course. Except we actually like to get things done here, much unlike Congress.

__________________
I got no strings on me...
Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #39
Carnage27
No one's puppet
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,198
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
Silence, you fool!

Just had a thought. Now I know I'm a GM and an AGM is pretty much every RPG.

But who is the GM, BBMFIC, of OU? Is it you or....who?
Wieg and Soze were GMs. But Soze is gone, so I guess it's Wieg.

__________________
I got no strings on me...
Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #40
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,379
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

I'm the GM for OU, Trek, Wars, and Pages.


My god...when did that happen?

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #41
Carnage27
No one's puppet
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,198
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
I'm the GM for OU, Trek, Wars, and Pages.


My god...when did that happen?
Well, Pages and Trek are basically dead, so you're only GM for 2 games.

But, I've got an idea for an over arching storyline for a final OU season, if we decide(which I think we should) go that way. So if you want some help over there I'm up for it.

__________________
I got no strings on me...
Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #42
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!
 
Andy C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Basement
Posts: 3,622
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

I'm not sure if cracking down on the post limit will necessarily spur more activity in a lot of the games. While it may work for the main DCU game, I know I had trouble with it in All-Star Marvel- when a character was starting to get too far behind, in a lot of cases when it would be brought up, the poster would just say "oh well" and let me cut him from the roster. So instead of gaining more activity, we actually lost players.

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #43
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,497
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
I'm the GM for OU, Trek, Wars, and Pages.


My god...when did that happen?
What a loser!

I'm only the GM for WoH, HvV and an AGM in OU, UDC, FTPO, and I might still be an AGM in ASM.....

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #44
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!
 
Andy C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Basement
Posts: 3,622
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

At this point I'm pretty much just drawing AGMs for All-Star from a hat.

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #45
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,379
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post
I'm not sure if cracking down on the post limit will necessarily spur more activity in a lot of the games. While it may work for the main DCU game, I know I had trouble with it in All-Star Marvel- when a character was starting to get too far behind, in a lot of cases when it would be brought up, the poster would just say "oh well" and let me cut him from the roster. So instead of gaining more activity, we actually lost players.
I say good riddance to them. Seriously, if someone can't be bothered to post, then they're not doing the game any favors by holding onto a character.

Now, obviously, things work differently in player-created continuity games like an Ultimate or CaH. And if the player is currently in their own arc, and not interacting with others, then it's not a big deal. But if they're holding back an arc...

We've tried to address this in Star Wars. Basically, player-created character or not, everyone must post at least once a month. If they don't, they lose the character. If it's a player-created character, that means anyone involved with an arc with that character has free reign to NPC them to keep the story moving along.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #46
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,379
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Ok, so here are the ideas I've gathered from the interview and this thread so far. These are not approved ideas, just all the ideas that have been thrown around during our brainstorming:

Declare a final season in WoH

Maintain wiki for continutiy

Limit consecutive seasons a player can own a character

Try single season games

Newbies should get a chance to apply before veterans

Limit # of short/alternate games in each board

Byrd mush be killed to take Gordon away from him.

Standard season lengths

Force increased post frequency

Punishment for players that pickup and drop characters without a post, or only a couple of posts

Increased GM activity

GM controlled NPC's and story arcs

Recruitment from outside the Hype

Better use of RPG Proposal board

D&D type GM control


These are just the raw ideas without going into detail, looking at problems/issues, or addressing exceptions. And since this is just brainstorming, please, no attacking ideas. Expand or discuss, but don't outright dismiss.

And, MB, stop ****ing goats and do your job and maintain this list!

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #47
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,497
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Okay, one thing I'm wondering about is the approval process. With the talk of the short-term RPGs, I know all of us have ideas, I got a few to be sure. How to do we choose which ones to back and which ones to approve? Not all of us can get what we want.

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #48
Rain Dog
Failure
 
Rain Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Inside a broken clock
Posts: 1,843
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Punishment for players that pickup and drop characters without a post, or only a couple of posts
How would this be enforced exactly? What's to stop a newbie from joining a game, posting once, then never returning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
D&D type GM control
I don't play D&D, can someone explain this?

Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #49
Carnage27
No one's puppet
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,198
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Limit # of short/alternate games in each board
I gotta say this is the most important I think. Especially with the shorter ones. And if someone doesn't get their game picked the first time it's proposed, they can easily propose it again next time a slot comes open.

Also, I think, and feel free to disagree, that if someone has their game picked when a slot opens up, they cannot propose a game the next time a slot opens up, unless the ones that are proposed are really lackluster. I think this would give an opportunity for people to get their games approved and vary the games that are played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
GM controlled NPC's and story arcs
I can understand this to a degree, but not in the ongoing games. People need to be able to flesh out their NPCs as they see fit, IMO. Also, I think even in the shorter games it should be up to whether or not the player is up to the challenge to handle NPCs.

Also, dealing with the wiki, I have 2 ideas.

1) I think it needs to be more aggressively promoted throughout the RPG OOC threads.

And

2) I think it should be mandatory for players to update their pages once every 2 months.

__________________
I got no strings on me...
Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #50
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,379
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
Okay, one thing I'm wondering about is the approval process. With the talk of the short-term RPGs, I know all of us have ideas, I got a few to be sure. How to do we choose which ones to back and which ones to approve? Not all of us can get what we want.

I'd think the one with the most players wanting to join up.

Everyone puts forth their idea, we keep tally of who wants in which, the one with the most wins. If it's a tie, we make the players pick which they'd prefer (or consider doing both).

Or, if there is a lot of game proposals, do a ranking vote. Everyone ranks their game preference in order. The votes that picked the losing game get moved to their 2nd games and that game idea gets dropped. Then the next lowest voted game has their votes moved to the 3rd place choices, on and on each round until only one game is left. (It's a hell of a lot easier to do than explain)


Whatever is done. We need a cutoff date. Like say, on Jan 31, all voted will be counted. No games considered after that. The winning game gets approved for this season. Making it a competition may help give players an investment in the game, making them want to post more and keep it going.

And the other nice thing about short games is that, if one starts to die, or we have demand for another, we can kick one off in the summer designed to last just six months, if we want.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.