The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Approval & General RPG Discussion

Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #76
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Well, like the current boards, there would be descriptions under each section.

But I can kind of see your point. That's why it's just a spitball of an idea.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #77
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Dog View Post
I think that would confuse newbies.
What newbies?

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #78
Carnage27
No one's puppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Also, another idea that I had kicked around involved restructuring the boards themselves. Rather than divide each RPG up by company, I thought about maybe dividing them by type. For instance, here's my stab at how I would order it...

Approval & General RPG Discussion
Mainstream Continuity Games (World of Heroes, Heroes Vs. Villains)
Alternate Continuity Games (One Universe, Ultimate DC, All-Star Marvel)
Misc Continuity Games (Star Wars, Create-A-Hero, Dream Team League?)
Single Season Games (Speaks for itself)
Archives

I wouldn't mind DTL still having it's own forums, just didn't know what everyone thought of it.

I think I want to move the Tournament threads out of the RPG boards. They don't really fit, IMO.
I like it, personally. If someone is confused about something, they can always read the introduction thread in Approval and Discussion.

Quote:
When we decide upon a number of changes, they'll likely be put into effect immediately.

But at the moment, it's too early to make any of them stick. We need to find a proper balance first, and the World of Heroes/One Universe seasons need to end for the final ones to begin, should that decision go through. The only change that I can see going through while still keeping the other games as they are is the idea of short-term games.
Sounds good. I don't know what's happening in WoH, but it looks like OU will end after next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Brock View Post
I'm all for mandatory RPG wiki updates, and here's how I'd do it:

Want to have first "dibs," so to speak, on your character at the start of the next Season? You have to update the wiki on the previous Season. If you are unable or unwilling to do so, then anyone can apply for that character.
Personally I don't like that. Just because if you weren't playing that character, you may not know exactly what happened last season. I think the person playing them should have to do it during the season.

Once every 2 months isn't that bad.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #79
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage27 View Post
I like it, personally. If someone is confused about something, they can always read the introduction thread in Approval and Discussion.

Sounds good. I don't know what's happening in WoH, but it looks like OU will end after next season.

Personally I don't like that. Just because if you weren't playing that character, you may not know exactly what happened last season. I think the person playing them should have to do it during the season.

I should have been clearer. If Poster A was playing Batman at the end of Season I, then he must update the Batman wiki for Season I or he wouldn't have exclusive rights to Batman at the start of Season II. This doesn't apply to people who haven't played the character.

Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #80
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I should have been clearer. If Poster A was playing Batman at the end of Season I, then he must update the Batman wiki for Season I or he wouldn't have exclusive rights to Batman at the start of Season II. This doesn't apply to people who haven't played the character.
Stop scaring me with your... words!

Old 11-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #81
Carnage27
No one's puppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Oh, don't get me excited. I love doing **** like that.
I honestly don't think it's a bad idea. It's something that we can sticky in every sub-forum, so the rules are always there, and there's no excuse for not knowing them.

Also, now I know this sounds controversial but I think it's a solid idea, but I think each player should have an overall character cap. I know this is something I've had problems with. People go crazy and pick up 10 characters across the boards and 2 weeks later only have 2 left that they're posting with diligently, and holding others up.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #82
Carnage27
No one's puppet

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. I like it.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #83
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Quote:
I honestly don't think it's a bad idea. It's something that we can sticky in every sub-forum, so the rules are always there, and there's no excuse for not knowing them.

Also, now I know this sounds controversial but I think it's a solid idea, but I think each player should have an overall character cap. I know this is something I've had problems with. People go crazy and pick up 10 characters across the boards and 2 weeks later only have 2 left that they're posting with diligently, and holding others up.
Honestly, though, the character limit by RPG is meant to control that to some degree. Otherwise, it's up to the poster's discretion as to how many characters he/she can handle at any one time.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #84
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. I like it.
I do like the idea of periodic wiki updates, but for characters that change hands frequently it could be difficult. Perhaps a mid-Season round-up?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #85
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Honestly, though, the character limit by RPG is meant to control that to some degree. Otherwise, it's up to the poster's discretion as to how many characters he/she can handle at any one time.
The problem is, sometimes the players themselves aren't aware of their own limitations.

(<---Case in point.)

Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #86
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:

When I wanted to play Sinestro, you know what I did? Read all of season 2 and waited for season 3 to start before applying.

Honestly, someone who's read up on the history of the game is going to get an app approval before someone else. Even if all they read is the wiki (which means we need to keep the wiki's updated).

Perhaps in the character applications, when it asks for a brief bio of a character, we don't just accept the standard wiki breakdown. We ask for a brief history in game (unless it's season 1). If someone can't be bothered to glance through the wiki and summarize it in a few sentences, then they're not going to respect continuity and should go play in one of the short games.

And I think that if the short games take off, we'll see a lot fewer applications for characters that either go unposted or get dropped after three or four posts because people will be able to get their favorite character fix somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #87
Carnage27
No one's puppet

Quote:
I do like the idea of periodic wiki updates, but for characters that change hands frequently it could be difficult. Perhaps a mid-Season round-up?
Yea, midseason would work. 2 months was just the first number that popped into my head.

Quote:
Quote:
The problem is, sometimes the players themselves aren't aware of their own limitations.

(<---Case in point.)
Eddie, I see where you're coming from, but MB pointed out exactly what I'm thinking. A lot of people, me included, constantly overextend themselves to where they pick up important characters in a bunch of games, then fail to deliver.

Some even say they'll play in a proposed game when they already have a ton of characters, and then when push comes to shove, they don't deliver and the game dies. I know I've done this one before, too.

I think a limit around 6 would diminish these problems. If you want more than that, you should have to prove that you can keep up with 6 before your numbers can increase. But that's just me.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #88
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps in the character applications, when it asks for a brief bio of a character, we don't just accept the standard wiki breakdown. We ask for a brief history in game (unless it's season 1). If someone can't be bothered to glance through the wiki and summarize it in a few sentences, then they're not going to respect continuity and should go play in one of the short games.
Co-signed.

I absolutely agree with this. It'd be a great exercise for new blood, and it'd weed out who's been paying attention between who just happened to stumble in.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #89
Carnage27
No one's puppet

Quote:
When I wanted to play Sinestro, you know what I did? Read all of season 2 and waited for season 3 to start before applying.

Honestly, someone who's read up on the history of the game is going to get an app approval before someone else. Even if all they read is the wiki (which means we need to keep the wiki's updated).

And I think that if the short games take off, we'll see a lot fewer applications for characters that either go unposted or get dropped after three or four posts because people will be able to get their favorite character fix somewhere else.
Sounds good to me. I know I've always read through the games before joining up.

Only problem is it might deter any potential newbies.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #90
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
At the very least, everyone would be required to post a paragraph or two summary every half-season. They could always keep it more up to date as well.

I really think having a well updated wiki can help with outside recruitment as well. As a small example, I know there are a ton Supernatural websites and RPG's out there. Well, the Supernatural mythos is in the From the Pages of... game. So, having a good wiki on the Supernatural characters in our game might help bring in Supernatural fans that otherwise wouldn't visit a comics board (even if they are comic fans).

Quote:
Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #91
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Sounds good to me. I know I've always read through the games before joining up.

Only problem is it might deter any potential newbies.
Then they can go break their RPG cherry in the short games with no continuity to worry about. When they decide to get serious, they can put in the work for the big games.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #92
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
Then they can go break their RPG cherry in the short games with no continuity to worry about. When they decide to get serious, they can put in the work for the big games.
I like that idea a whole lot. Almost like a farm system.

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #93
Carnage27
No one's puppet

Quote:
Very true.

The proposal has my vote.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #94
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Plus, I hate to sound harsh... but it's not that hard to backtrack and read up on a character's history. I sure as hell wouldn't want to take a stab at a character like, say, Alan Scott in WOH without reading up on him in the previous seasons. All it takes it a brief search.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #95
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post

And you know how I feel about farm animals.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #96
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
I like that.

If a rookie wants to join the majors, then they have to put in the effort to show they can hang with the big dogs.

If not, they can hang around the small games, getting to know all the players and the way things work. That way, people who only want to do small, short stories, have a place to go.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #97
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Now I'm getting all excited. Need to write down these new ideas.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #98
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

One thing I think we also need to do is drop the axe on some of the current RPGs with low activity. I'm talking about like FTPO, Star Trek, and the Zombie RPG, which seems to be going nowhere fast.

We have these ideas for WoH and OU...but what about Marvel? It was just rebooted. How do we go about getting activity back up?

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #99
Carnage27
No one's puppet

Okay, so here's the list with some newer additions that are being talked about. I bolded those that I feel like most have agreed upon so far.

Declare a final season in WoH/OU

Maintain wiki for continutiy

Limit consecutive seasons a player can own a character

Try single season games

Newbies should get a chance to apply before veterans

Limit # of short/alternate games in each board

Byrd mush be killed to take Gordon away from him.

Standard season lengths

Force increased post frequency

Punishment for players that pickup and drop characters without a post, or only a couple of posts

Increased GM activity

GM controlled NPC's and story arcs

Recruitment from outside the Hype

Better use of RPG Proposal board

D&D type GM control

Overall Character Caps

Detailed in-game knowledge of character before approval

Voting system implemented for approving games

Old 11-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #100
Carnage27
No one's puppet

Quote:
One thing I think we also need to do is drop the axe on some of the current RPGs with low activity. I'm talking about like FTPO, Star Trek, and the Zombie RPG, which seems to be going nowhere fast.
I agree. Definitely about Trek and FTPO, which have been basically drowning for months.

Quote:
We have these ideas for WoH and OU...but what about Marvel? It was just rebooted. How do we go about getting activity back up?
Personally, I think it should be a clean sweep. If the other two are going to have their final season, Marvel should as well. That way there's a completely new slate once the new regime starts.